• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse Armour

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Safe to say that we probably won't get any raytraced next gen console games at launch based on this performance.

Framerate looks extremely choppy after switching to direct feed gameplay.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Grafi...ormance-in-Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-1263244/ Direct feed gameplay starts at 2:20

Update on BF5 raytracing performance:

These guys played BF 5 with raytracing on and they weren't hitting 1080p 60FPS either.

BF5 raytracing preview:

Again we were capturing the game resolution at 1080p and while we couldn't bring the fps counter up in the show demo version, we'd bet it wasn't hitting 60fps either. And in a competitive online shooter visual fidelity is arguably far less important than getting a high frame rate. And running at a higher resolution, without the ray traced reflections, would likely be preferable too as you could actually see more detail at range for those precision shots from downtown.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-hands-on

Last edited:

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
XKejyLQ.jpg

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Expected this. Raytracing is no easy feat. Getting any sort of playable frame rates at acceptable resolutions is already a big breakthrough.

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
Safe to say that we probably won't get any raytraced next gen console games at launch based on this performance.

Framerate looks extremely choppy after switching to direct feed gameplay.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Grafi...ormance-in-Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-1263244/ Direct feed gameplay starts at 2:20

Edit: Typo in title, meant to say $1200, not that that really makes a difference.

Oh man... If you expected Raytracing for next-gen... xDDDD

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. What's the point then ? I thought these RT cores were supposed to handle it for no performance loss.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
As I feared, it's going to be another Nvidia Hairworks for now. Quite glad though with those prices they can stick these up somewhere where sun doesn't shine.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Wait. What's the point then ? I thought these RT cores were supposed to handle it for no performance loss.

nvidia never claimed that and it was foolish to believe you would get ray tracing for free. how would that even work? if that was the case theyd just make an entire gpu out of ray tracing cores and wed be good to go.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
nvidia never claimed that and it was foolish to believe you would get ray tracing for free. how would that even work? if that was the case theyd just make an entire gpu out of ray tracing cores and wed be good to go.

How was that foolish to think that a large part of the silicon dedicated to ray tracing was supposed to offload that task from the shader cores to run it without performance loss ?

CoLD FiRE

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Now, imagine how worse it's going to run on the 2070 with its fewer Tensor cores. This is a 1st gen product and nvidia is making early adopters eat the cost to fill their Jensen's pockets.

There is a reason they didn't show any non ray tracing benchmark comparisons with Pascal. You'd most likely be better off with a 1080/Ti than a more expensive 2070/2080 for the foreseeable future.

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that sounds about right. The nvidia presentation was really cool but it was pretty obvious most of it didn't really run great yet.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
How was that foolish to think that a large part of the silicon dedicated to ray tracing was supposed to offload that task from the shader cores to run it without performance loss ?

its fairly obvious that you dont go from ray tracing being completely unusable in real time to being free because of a few cores on a gpu.

edit - someone on beyond3d mentioned that nvidias claim of up to 10 gigarays per second was when rendering a single triangle. would be funny if that was actually their test case for a theoretical maximum.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
How is it running without raytracing? Seeing what Square shown at Gamescom this doesn't seem like the best game to showcase anything, not only new tech. Or like a game that is in a decent playable state.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a disappointment.
The way they talked about the tech, (almost) everyone expected not "free" Raytracing, but not an heavy penalty like this.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll wait and see to make sure this isn't just some early code, but the video they released for Tomb Raider showing the PC specific features had a bunch of slowdown in it as well! The framerate isn't the problem, so much as the resolution. If you were to tell me the RTX 2080 Ti was getting this type of performance at 4K with ray-tracing I wouldn't be too bothered, but 1080p is very worrying.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me a lot of early PhysX implementation thrashing GPU performance no matter how expensive the card was. Emergent technology through and through, not at all useful if performance is your priority.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
its fairly obvious that you dont go from ray tracing being completely unusable in real time to being free because of a few cores on a gpu.

edit - someone on beyond3d mentioned that nvidias claim of up to 10 gigarays per second was when rendering a single triangle. would be funny if that was actually their test case for a theoretical maximum.

Not just a few cores though. The die is a LOT bigger than a 1080ti.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is it weird that I've seen more talk of this raytracing stuff than with real world performance at 1080p and 4k...like you know, the reasons people want new graphics cards in the first place?

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Considering the huge push they made talking of 4K and 60fps, nVidia sure had their marketing talk pants on yesterday. Now that we'll start to get direct-feed footage, I believe it's more and more going to come to light that these cards are not nearly the jump they are made out to be.

Good thing they're already starting to cause price drops on the 1080 and 1080Ti - I know what my next card is!

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Keep in mind the RTX features are coming post launch of the game, and this is on unreleased hardware.

That said, Ray Tracing was thought to be at least 10 years away, so getting it at 30 FPS now, is pretty damned amazing.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Those cores are still sharing bandwidth, power and ram. What is yet undetermined is how they share computation resources.

There is no such thing a free.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
If I can't see flames reflected in the eyes of every NPC in real time I ain't buying the game.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
The performance hit is expected and not the problem
The price of the GPU is disturbing

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I will wait for real benchmarks, they still have a lot of time to optimize

- the game isn't out
- raytracing update for the game isn't out
- the cards aren't out
- drivers aren't out

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I think people will be surprised at how well this will run in their respective final releases. :)

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna skip this family and wait for the 21 series I reckon. It will be FAR more optimised for ray tracing.

Status
Not open for further replies.