• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
The fact that they refused to show any type of benchmarks on these cards are all I need to know about the performance increases over the 10 series. (It's probably not much)

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Consider that the

- Game is unfinished
- Drivers aren't optimized
But #ITJUSTWORKS

Raytracing is the future for realistic lighting and shadows. It's still in its early stages though but you've got to start somewhere.
Which is fine... but it's not like we can just ignore it until the performance is up to par since we're paying a premium on the new cards regardless. So... it's frustrating.

Wait 2 years for a very small jump in overall performance (going by TFLOPS midn you, not "RTX-OPS"), but paying a fuckton more.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right. People can play ray traced at 30fps but that's not most people's ideal framerate on PC.

Ray tracing is the future, but not this early. :P

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Tomb Raider is out in a few weeks, it went gold a month ago. The game is done, lets stop pretending like these effects weren't shoved in at the last minute and that they'll magically perform better at launch because reasons.
That ray-tracing stuff will be added in post release.

But this is also giving me echoes of VXAO in Rotter. Clear improvement over the original occlusion system. Utterly impractical to use on account of the performance cost.

And given the seemingly slight improvement over 10 series, VXAO will remain that way.

CoLD FiRE

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It probably won't take that long. 5 years to be the standard seems doable.

The ironic thing is if next gen consoles can somehow pull ray tracing off then we'll have to hear constantly about how big of a deal it is. People joke in these threads but it's true, none of this shit ever matters to most people until playstation can do it :\

Of course it's going to be a big deal if consoles pull off ray tracing because they're not going to cost $1200 for the GPU alone but rather ~$500 for the whole system.

edit: also, if next gen consoles are capable of doing ray tracing it just means higher potential for developers to actually implement it in their games\engines.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
But #ITJUSTWORKS

Which is fine... but it's not like we can just ignore it until the performance is up to par since we're paying a premium on the new cards regardless. So... it's frustrating.

Wait 2 years for a very small jump in overall performance (going by TFLOPS midn you, not "RTX-OPS"), but paying a fuckton more.
Do we really know of the TFlop performance is minimal though ? We should wait for benchmarks.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Tomb Raider is out in a few weeks, it went gold a month ago. The game is done, lets stop pretending like these effects weren't shoved in at the last minute and that they'll magically perform better at launch because reasons.

Let's stop pretending that you know stuff when you don't. The ray tracing will come as a post release patch.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeap I always turn the hair thing off even though my card can handle it, I just like Lara's fluffy ponytail better.
Same for "precision" I don't even know what it does lol...

And they're made for people with too much $ who buy these cards knowing better ones are just around the corner.
Well yeah. Pretty much a vanity product at this stage

Dr. Dre's Dr.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There really isn't a great deal more to its early implementation than better reflections. Like that is it. Anything more than that would require substantially more of the die space being dedicated to ray tracing than just something bolted onto a Pascal chip and used as an excuse to add $200-300 on top of prices.
Yeah, Thats what I see and I get ya, that is progress and things take time and I am happy for all of that. It is a great start and I suppose it will be really really awesome in iteration 3 or 4.

Heisenburger

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honest question. Do nvidia finally use a sync computer properly for dx12?

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
This reminds of the 6800 GT. It came out fully supporting DX9 with all it's fancy features, but when the real DX9 came out, it couldn't run any of them with good settings at a decent resolution while maintaining good performance. The same is true for DX11 cards where tessellation will tank performance but if you look at current cards it barely impacts performance. This is the same case here where these cards are the start of a new graphics technology that's not capable of actually doing these features. New card several years from now will be significantly more capable.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we really know of the TFlop performance is minimal though ? We should wait for benchmarks.
WijzSFJ.png

Based on that. Actual performance remains to be seen I suppose.

Apr 9, 2018
Let's stop pretending that you know stuff when you don't. The ray tracing will come as a post release patch.

Exactly, you ain't gonna get ray tracing games built from the ground up cos the consoles don't have it so his argument is bizarre. All you're get is it bolted on after the fact, tanking performance.

So it'll be like hairworks, everyone will just turn it off when gaming, reviewers will turn it off when benching.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Lol @ all the people that were trying to pre-order

The good news is that this tech will see it's way into the next gen consoles, even if a limited form.

It will definitely help with lighting and shading to the nth degree.

5th gen: move to 3d, dx7 and dx8 maturity
6th gen: vast improvement in polygon drawing capability, full screen framebuffer effects and shaders, dx9 advent
7th gen: programmable shaders, dx10 and 11
8th gen: material based shading, screen space reflections, gpgpu functions, vulkan launched
9th gen: raytraced shadows, reflections, and ambient lighting solutions

PS5 and eventually PS5 Pro is gonna look sick

Good time for graphics whores as always

Bad time to buy a GPU, in fact I'd say anyone who spends 1200 on a gpu that can't do 1080p60 on a game like BFV "kinda dumb" and I don't care if it has extra effects

Might as well buy a Voodoo card right now to run BFV

This is just further legitimizing my 1080 ti purchase, thank you graphics card gods

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

But this is also giving me echoes of VXAO in Rotter. Clear improvement over the original occlusion system. Utterly impractical to use on account of the performance cost.

And given the seemingly slight improvement over 10 series, VXAO will remain that way.
I played ROTTR with VXAO on my 980s (in SLI I think). I think I took about a 20 fps hit, but it still kept me north of 40 fps as a minimum FPS which on a gsync monitor is plenty good imo. Again, it'll vary game to game whether I want to take the hit, but in a single player game like this where shooting is just one element, I'm going to be very tempted.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
now consider that the 2070 is much slower and still costs more than a 1080 and... the effect starts to look pretty useless...
more people will have to settle for old cards or even slower future 2060 or whatever which is likely even slower at RT and...
it starts to look like it's too soon and we need another 1-2 gens for it to be viable...

you compare the user base of older cards + consoles against the RTX for the next year and a dev would need to be crazy to allocate too many resources to this tech for now anyway.

it feels kind of like...

DX9 on the FX 5800, compatible but useless at it (slow)
DX9c on the 6800 sort of similar but less so,
Tessellation on the HD 5870, compatible but VERY slow at it..

2080 is bringing compatibility but in a couple of years it might look ridiculously slow at the task, maybe even 1 years given the 7nm process is not far... which makes the whole pricing thing very disappointing, going by the lack of benchmarks without RT being a factor and the specs, it's fair to expect the RTX series to be disappointing in regular games

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
1080p is an ambysmal resolution these days.. and terrible on 1440p and 4k displays. I still like pushing new tech but it's quite a premium pricing increase for something nearly unusable (2080 and under I'm sure it will be).

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
And that's supposed to be meaningful because...

Tuxfool already beat me to it

What did people expect that lighting and shadow and mirror calculation and rendering are for free now?
Because Nvidia spends a lot of money on marketing

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
What did people expect that lighting and shadow and mirror calculation and rendering are for free now?

they added a lot of additional dedicated hardware on the chip, stuff that wasn't there and it's there now just for this task, so maybe people expected decent performance, not going sub 60 on a game that is going to run at 60 on consoles.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Lol @ all the people that were trying to pre-order

The good news is that this tech will see it's way into the next gen consoles, even if a limited form.

It will definitely help with lighting and shading to the nth degree.

5th gen: move to 3d, dx7 and dx8 maturity
6th gen: vast improvement in polygon drawing capability, full screen framebuffer effects and shaders, dx9 advent
7th gen: programmable shaders, dx10 and 11
8th gen: material based shading, screen space reflections, gpgpu functions, vulkan launched
9th gen: raytraced shadows, reflections, and ambient lighting solutions

PS5 and eventually PS5 Pro is gonna look sick

Good time for graphics whores as always

Bad time to buy a GPU, in fact I'd say anyone who spends 1200 on a gpu that can't do 1080p60 on a game like BFV "kinda dumb" and I don't care if it has extra effects

Might as well buy a Voodoo card right now to run BFV

This is just further legitimizing my 1080 ti purchase, thank you graphics card gods

Why lol? Maybe people just want the best card out there? It's not like you have to use the Raytrace settings.

they added a lot of additional dedicated hardware on the chip, stuff that wasn't there and it's there now just for this task, so maybe people expected decent performance, not going sub 60 on a game that is going to run at 60 on consoles.

But it it will still destroy consoles with the setting off.

I need the " feel like I'm taking crazy pills " gif.

AdvancedWind

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Yeah, I'm sure it's a giant leap technologically but I can't realistically justify spending that much for a feature that can't reach 60fps yet, when it's not that big of a leap outside of this one use case.

Theearly adopter tax is way too high here. I'll wait a couple generations to get in.

I do wonder how well it's going to sell at that price.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad this tech is coming out but being asked to trade resolution for just about anything else is something I don't see many PC gamers accepting. To this degree, I mean.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone saying BF5 doesn't hit 60fps at 1080p is flat out wrong. That's a lie or an incorrect understanding of what was being seen. It's much higher.

Also, expect huge gains. This was less than two weeks of work by DICE. They barely had access to these cards prior to this event.

shanafan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ypsilanti, MI
So it seems like ray tracing still has a ways to go to get better optimized.

Just play with it off, and I know these new cards will perform beautifully in 4K and 1440p. We will see what happens post-release of games like Tomb Raider and BF:V for ray tracing.

omaroni

Jan 13, 2018
Environment interactivity and realistic animation are 1000 times more important than all of these examples of ray tracing.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Thread title is wholly untrue and needs correcting. BFV was above 60 at 1080p with ray tracing on.

The hyperbole as well here is just not great. Wait for the demos, wait for the games, wait for more info - not unsabstantiated information.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
What exactly is ray traced in this? The shadows? The entire scene? I'm just curious... and yes, real-time ray tracing (even if only the shadows) is a huge step forward. Clearly, this is running at a playable frame rate on a $1200 graphics card. I wrote a ray tracer in a Computer Graphics class in College... it took several minutes to spit out a single image of a very simple scene. Seeing ray tracing coming into games at playable frame rates is very exciting stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.