• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I saw this on the Xbox Series X subreddit(https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxSeriesX/comments/i4hf96/the_medium_ray_tracing_feature_is_missing/), an user said that the feature was missing from the game page on the XBOX site and as I have nothing better to do, I did a quick research and it seems that it's legit.

This change was made between May 31st and July 24th.

The Medium page on May 31th, seeing through Wayback machine(https://web.archive.org/web/20200531013509/https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/the-medium):
zvX179z.png

The Medium page today(https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/the-medium):
2DS9kET.png

The game's official website and steam page still states the presence of ray-tracing, the latter with the requiriment of a RTX graphic card of course, so this could be a mistake (that's why I tagged as a rumor), but it is not impossible that they cut the feature on consoles due to optimization, so let's wait for clarification.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
To their credit, they did shrink the "OPTIMIZED FOR XBOX SERIES X" logo to reflect this.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps because it has to also run on Xbox One? Or more likely it's just a mistake during a web site update.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what is going on with the XSX raytracing solution. Halo Infinite is going had raytracing, but not until after launch. Are they still working on backend stuff for it that won't be ready for launch?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if it got axed for performance reasons. I imagine even on the new systems it's a costly feature.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what is going on with the XSX raytracing solution. Halo Infinite is going had raytracing, but not until after launch. Are they still working on backend stuff for it that won't be ready for launch?
I reckon RDNA2 is not good far raytracing anyhow. Think it will be maybe at 2060S or 2070 level at best.
We have seen other trailers with ray tracing though.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I think I need to see a doctor. I read the writing for both like 3 times thinking "where does it say anything about raytracing?" not at all noticing the BIG RAYTRACING ICON

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I am starting to wonder if the Series X is just behind in terms of tech readiness. I think all the parts and pieces are in there, but is the software supporting all the internal features ready for primetime. With Halo Infinite not supporting RT at launch and now this weirdness, I think a case could be made that they are behind on their dev kits.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am starting to wonder if the Series X is just behind in terms of tech readiness. I think all the parts and pieces are in there, but is the software supporting all the internal features ready for primetime. With Halo Infinite not supporting RT at launch and now this weirdness, I think a case could be made that they are behind on their dev kits.
probably more of an issue on AMD's side. Microsoft laid out what DX12U was to both them and Nvidia and Nvidia decided to field test these things with Turing. who knows how AMD's cards will perform but a lot of people are already expecting Turing-like performance

Optmst

Apr 9, 2020
Maybe that Jason guy was right!

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't that a rumor going around a while back? Might have some truth to it.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I m sure its a mistake . Ms had a very big emphasis on raytacing for xsx . So it will be there to showcase it since halo won't have it at launch

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

Or that Ray Tracing outside some games/genres is not feasible to run it at 30fps 4K/1440p?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Might add up. There was a lot of talk on the recent Glassdoors about 343i about "Broken development software", so that could be their toolset. It could also be the interface with the devkit that's really, really beta.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017

This is the exact thing I was thinking. The Xbox sx dev kits came much later and so it could be it just isn't ready.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I don't expect wide-use of RT until year 2-3 of next-gen honestly

we'll prob get patches to add those in later on too (ala halo infinite)

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Are any games going to have ray tracing support at launch on series X? Serious question, not trying to console war.

Jan 21, 2019
Probably just running on medium settings
HAAAAAAAA.

Let's all take a step back and stop expecting the impossible from a medium (no pun intended) sized game devs. Their game looks awesome and I am super hyped. Let's leave the technically earth shattering games to AAA studios.

Are any games going to have ray tracing support at launch on series X? Serious question, not trying to console war.

Puddles in Spider-Man will have RT.

Status
Not open for further replies.