• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is this confirmed? If so or if Microsoft actually releases this game where you're forced to play with a K&M, then they just keep pushing me away. SMH. :(

You'd rather they just didn't release it on console? Just don't buy it and pretend they never added KB&M support to the Xbox.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Is this confirmed? If so or if Microsoft actually releases this game where you're forced to play with a K&M, then they just keep pushing me away. SMH. :(

No, not at all. But Matt Booty has said in an interview that this game will be designed from the ground up for keyboard and mouse.

Interview here: (Thanks vorimenn )

If it releases on console, it should absolutely be done, period.

Why?

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And there it is. Couch multiplayer dies...with thunderous applause. Guess I'll have to hook my xbox one up to monitor if I want to not get trashed in shooter games on Xbox now instead of relaxing feet up on my couch.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
And there it is. Couch multiplayer dies...with thunderous applause. Guess I'll have to hook my xbox one up to monitor if I want to not get trashed in shooter games on Xbox now instead of relaxing feet up on my couch.

What makes you think you'll play against KB+M players? Gears 4 had crossplay and it only worked in coop. In competitive mode these two input methods were not on eachothers servers. And we know Fortnite isn't doing that either (right now on PS4, and with KB+M support on Xbox One)

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Devs have tools to separate controller from KB/M players. They also have to enable KB/M for their game, hence the small list of supported games. This won't be an issue.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, not at all. But Matt Booty has said in an interview that this game will be designed from the ground up for keyboard and mouse.

Interview here: (Thanks vorimenn )

If they're releasing the game on consoles, I should 100% be able to play with a controller simply because there's been plenty of turn based strategy RPG's on consoles that let you use a controller. If Ubisoft can do it with Kingdom Battle on Switch, there's simply no excuse for Gears Tactics to not allow controller support on you know, the console.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
If they're releasing the game on consoles, I should 100% be able to play with a controller simply because there's been plenty of turn based strategy RPG's on consoles that let you use a controller. If Ubisoft can do it with Kingdom Battle on Switch, there's simply no excuse for Gears Tactics to not allow controller support on you know, the console.

It's completely possible that it'll get controller support. The game is just built for keyboard and mouse. Then it's the decision to release it on Xbox One with only M+KB support or not release it at all.

I also think it's up to the developer. There are plenty of plausible excuses to do m+kb only for turn based strategy games. Even if other games have shown that it works well.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's completely possible that it'll get controller support. The game is just built for keyboard and mouse. Then it's the decision to release it on Xbox One with only M+KB support or not release it at all.

I also think it's up to the developer. There are plenty of plausible excuses to do m+kb only for turn based strategy games. Even if other games have shown that it works well.

Instead of ranting, I'll just take a wait and see what they do approach. If they add controller support, great but if not, then the game gets eliminated from ly list and I move on to a different game. Very easy and simple.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if I'll be able to play Gears 5 with an elite controller in my left hand and a mouse in my right like I do with Gears 4.
Probably not, lol. Good to see something say it's getting M/KB support though. Hopefully they officially confirm it soon.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The hell does this have to be couch multiplayer?

I doubt any non-crossplay games will support this anyway

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if I'll be able to play Gears 5 with an elite controller in my left hand and a mouse in my right like I do with Gears 4.
Probably not, lol. Good to see something say it's getting M/KB support though. Hopefully they officially confirm it soon.

That's a wild setup. Do you use the left stick on the controller for movement and then the mouse for aiming?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Read Blood Sweat and Pixels Halo Wars chapter to see how hard it is for developers to recreate KB + M controls with a console controller

Read that as Blood Sweat and Potatoes. Time to get off work, I guess. :D

On the actual subject, I'm loving this. Hope that more and more games allow people to play with what they are most comfortable!

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
That's a wild setup. Do you use the left stick on the controller for movement and then the mouse for aiming?
Yeah, and I had some crazy profile on my elite I had in my left hand where like... left trigger was reload and it feels great. Only when I got that setup down did I start leveling up my Sniper class in Horde, lol. (It had to be an elite for me because I really wanted those two extra inputs from the paddles on the left hand side)

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
With more KB+M support coming to xbox, what do you guys think are the chances we'll see more RTS, MMOs, or other traditionally PC type game come to the xbox? I would looove if FFXIV came to the Xbox for example, but I know there are crossplay concerns with games like that as well.

High. Within 2 years I predict most big PC games will be on a Xbox. No reason to ignore the install base that will only be growing. Imagine people streaming World of Warcraft on their phones over Xcloud. Too much potential to pass up...unless Google or Tencent inks some exclusive deals.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
High. Within 2 years I predict most big PC games will be on a Xbox. No reason to ignore the install base that will only be growing. Imagine people streaming World of Warcraft on their phones over Xcloud. Too much potential to pass up...unless Google or Tencent inks some exclusive deals.

That would be glorious.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty confused as to why PUBG is on this list. They don't have the crossplay infrastructure to put Xbox players into PC lobbies like Fortnite. I doubt they could fill many modes/regions with Xbox kb+m only. So either they're doing the right thing and leaving Xbox players together regardless of input choice, or kb+m support is going to be DOA.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Um, why? There are plenty of similar games with comfortable pad controls. There's really no point in limiting your audience to people with compatible k&m setups.

Because it was previously announced as Windows only. It only now sounds like it's coming to console with this KB&M compatibility list. Sounds like the game is made for KB&M and the support on consoles means they can easily release it there.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty confused as to why PUBG is on this list. They don't have the crossplay infrastructure to put Xbox players into PC lobbies like Fortnite. I doubt they could fill many modes/regions with Xbox kb+m only. So either they're doing the right thing and leaving Xbox players together regardless of input choice, or kb+m support is going to be DOA.
Remember Epic is releasing all their crossplay tools so Bluehole should be able to pretty much clone Fortnite's (šŸ˜Ž) xplay setup. They just have to have PC and console be the same version or they'll just limit it to ps4 vs Xbox lobbies (both kbm).

High. Within 2 years I predict most big PC games will be on a Xbox. No reason to ignore the install base that will only be growing. Imagine people streaming World of Warcraft on their phones over Xcloud.
I just realized how easy it is to use kbm on android. Having full quality games on a mobile device with kbm as an option is going to be nuts!

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because it was previously announced as Windows only. It only now sounds like it's coming to console with this KB&M compatibility list. Sounds like the game is made for KB&M and the support on consoles means they can easily release it there.
Oh, okay, I didn't know about the exclusivity. I still think it's a poor decision to alienate a (probably big) part of the Xbox userbase.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Expected. But cool to finally get confirmation.

Now just give me AOE on Xbox Microsoft.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, okay, I didn't know about the exclusivity. I still think it's a poor decision to alienate a (probably big) part of the Xbox userbase.

I'd like controller support for sure. But I was also disappointed that it was gonna be PC only so I think it's at least good if this is enabling an easy Play Anywhere/cross-play port.

Oct 26, 2017
Remember Epic is releasing all their crossplay tools so Bluehole should be able to pretty much clone Fortnite's (šŸ˜Ž) xplay setup. They just have to have PC and console be the same version or they'll just limit it to ps4 vs Xbox lobbies (both kbm).
Not sure if haven't played console PUBG or just joking.

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see Gears Tactics confirmed for Xbox One, not worried about lack of gamepad support as I have CronusMAX Plus and like with PC games I'll just force controller support. It'll be nice though if the devs consider adding it officially down the line for those that don't want to deal with workarounds.

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
Wow just saw this was finally up on the Microsoft Canada page for pre-order. I was super excited till I saw it at $350 CAD!!!! That is insane. Even with exchange rates such as they are $100 extra is insane. No way I'm buying a $400 setup for 6 games.