• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The OT is currently embroiled in an epic tussle between people who love the the game and others who find it the most laborious "game" they've ever played. For me it's simultaneously a 10/10 and a 2/10. Do you know what is a consistent 10/10 across the board? The overall sound design/ music is fantastic but I hardly see any praise for it here because everyone is too busy crying about the controls or fawning over the visuals so I guess I will. Audio was always one of the major reasons the first Red Dead Redemption to this day is one of my favourite games ever. The sequel maintains the standard and in some ways surpasses it.

Lets about the music first. This is an early call given I've only just finished the second chapter but I'm going to say this is a contender for best soundtrack this year. Music in video games often gets criticised for falling into one of two categories - either being too "gamey" (more distinctive and catchy) or falling into the trap of just sounding like "epic" orchestral tracks (generic and not memorable). I don't think I can overstate how perfect the music in RDR 2 fits the setting and genre. They manage to straddle the line between melancholy and gentle without sounding sounding boring or like generic "sad" background music. I mean the first time you hear one of your gang members playing a classic tune on a banjo while sitting next to a camp fire is understatedly perfect. I'm not going to post any Youtube links, just play the game and listen for yourself.

It's not just the quality of the music itself, it's how they've integrated it into the actual experience. Open world titles in particular have a lot of issues when it comes to actually implementing the music loop into free roaming. Combat themes occurring too early or lingering long after the fight is done is a common problem. Tracks often don't flow smoothly when you're transitioning between entering towns, engaging in combat or moving onto a different region. As much as I loved the music in TW3 it definitely had issues with in game portrayal of it. In RDR 1/2 everything is seamless and dynamic sounding. It's almost like there is a conductor following you around and manipulating the background music to cater to what you're actually doing in the game. It can change from a sombre wandering tone to a bombastic upbeat combat theme without you even noticing. In elongated shootouts the music even seems like it slowly ramps up in intensity depending on how far into the climax you get. Sometimes there's actually no music at all but somehow it never feels missing. I'm not exactly sure how but I've never heard any other game do it was well as RDR did in 2010 until its sequel 8 years later. If you're one of those people who plays open world games Spotify open and the sound turned down you're really missing out here.

Now for the overall sound design. I guess its quality is not that surprising given the fact that the entire premise of the game is designed around immersion and attention to detail but still, it's very impressive. You can literally hear all the money and resources they've poured into it with how unique and detailed every little thing sounds. Just spend 2 minutes sitting in your camp and listening to all the different sounds you can clearly hear in that time, it's actually quite insane. Despite the sheer amount of noise going simultaneously, it never sounds muddled or loses definition. They always get the tonal balance right so you can hear everything properly if you're paying attention. So many games just turn up the bass so everything rumbles and sounds muddy - the original Gears of War trilogy was the worst for this.

If there's one one word I would use to describe the audio it would be "satisfying". Everything sounds rustic and clanky as you'd expect. Wood creaks realistically, walking through foliage is rustly. Stage coaches are appropriately rickety. When you're trotting slowly on your horse you can hear the soft clanging of the buckles. Rivers streams flow softly in the background. Every different surface you walk/ride across sounds different. Ride past an oil refinery and you can hear the thunderous machinery metronomically working away. Rain is enveloping and thunderstorms sound scary to the point of almost being violent. The ambience in the wilderness sounds like an actual ecosystem that is effected by the elements. Your horse actually sounds like it has a bit of peronality as opposed to just making the same generic neighing sound over and over again. I think you guys get what I've trying to convey here. It wouldn't be a Red Dead game if they guns didn't sound meaty as hell and Rockstar have delivered again. Every weapon sounds different and firing them has a nice reverb effect that you don't hear much in other games. It still bemuses me that the guns in GTA are so bad when RDR's are best in class.

Again if you're just using TV speakers you really won't notice most of this outside of the music so do yourself a favour and play with proper hifi speakers or a decent pair of headphones if you can. Also the voices seem to be at 50% volume by default so if they're hard to hear for you check the settings.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed wholeheartedly. The use of the music is phenomenal, one of the best aspects of the game. The entire "direction" aspect is insanely good.
And the sound of shooting guns is so damn satisfying...

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree 100%.

First time I really noticed was a mission in the snow, where Arthur and a few others are riding and talking in the snowy mountains. They stop their horses and it gets quiet in the only way snowy mountains do. It's hard to explain but it's perfect to how it is in the woods when there's deep fresh snow, no ambient woodsy noises and anyone who speaks fills the air in an eerie way.

Everything about the animal noises and general woody noises are great throughout, but that quiet moment hit me like few games have.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, really enjoy the music in general so far and Im hoping Rockstar gets around to releasing it on vinyl like Bethesda did with Doom

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I can overstate how perfect the music in RDR 2 fits the setting and genre. They manage to straddle the line between melancholy and gentle without sounding sounding boring or like generic "sad" background music.
This honestly sounds a lot like RDR1's understated and somber score. It did well to convey emotion back then without being overbearing, and I'm glad to hear they've continued along that same wavelength.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
It is fantastic, agree. Just riding through the woods you are able to pick up stuff without any HUD help.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to get to the old map. I hope to hear some familiar tunes.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Disagree, i think it's abdolutely awful, at least when using good headphones. The dynamic range is way too high, so that if you want to hear what people are saying and have a good overall volume you need to say byebye to your hearing when there is sudden and loud noises. Yea, realistic for sure. But i wish i could enjoy the game without risking tinnitus. (Besides that it's excellent).

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah, playing with a headset it's great. Not enjoying the game all that much yet, but hopefully that will come with time.
Probably the most laborious, methodical game I've ever played, but the sound design is unimpeachable

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I've not read the whole OP but I just have to say that the music and it's integration into the gameplay is absolutely sublime.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's beyond what I've experienced in the entirety of gaming. The dynamic music has a profound impact on its game design, even hints at you to recalibrate your approach to situations, its subtle, and bombastic at the right moments. Superb stuff

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's beyond what I've experienced in the entirety of gaming. The dynamic music has a profound impact on its game design, even hints at you to recalibrate your approach to situations, its subtle, and bombastic at the right moments. Superb stuff

The crazy thing is is that RDR 1 already did just as well 8 years ago and no one else has matched it since.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I did have a couple issues that I had to adjust but the main plus for me is that Rockstar uses vocal cues for information FAR more than any other game and it shows. Incredible use of vocals

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
It really is up there among the best. It sounds so damn good.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I think the visuals are 10/10 overall as well. I can't think of a prettier game on this kind of scale. I'm constantly in awe. But yes, the music is amazing.

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Agreed. I did have a couple issues that I had to adjust but the main plus for me is that Rockstar uses vocal cues for information FAR more than any other game and it shows. Incredible use of vocals

The audio options are poorly labelled, they should indicate which mode has the smallest and largest dynamic range. I use headphones and sometimes the headphone mode compresses the sound, whereas in some other instances it's the widest dynamic range.

Dog barking is the loudest thing in the game for me for some reason and sounds very sharp.

I think the visuals are 10/10 overall as well. I can't think of a prettier game on this kind of scale. I'm constantly in awe. But yes, the music is amazing.

No doubt the visuals are eye bleedingly good outside of character models) with consistency we have never seen before at this scale. The only thing you can really complain about is shadow quality at times and the some dodgy looking textures.

I wish people would have the same energy when it comes praising (or critiquing) the sound design as they do for visuals or frame rate. For a game like this it really is 50% of the experience. The weapon sounds for example are the only redeeming quality of the gunplay for me, without them I would literally have no fun shooting stuff in the game outside of hit reactions.