• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
This is so true. I was recently pretty baffled during one mission that taught me about purchasing firearms from the gunsmith ...15 or so hours after the gunsmith was available for me in the open world. I understand tutorializing certain aspects of the main story path, but it feels like Rockstar has absolutely zero confidence in the player's ability to figure out basic elements of their game.

I beat the game with over 60 h,and I can say,even after 40 h,there is missions that feels like a tutorial.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
This is a central criticism of every Rockstar game that comes out. Sky is blue

No,it is not.

Which I found hilarious, given how linear Uncharted is.

Did people not notice that Rockstar games (or open world games in general to be honest) don't have mission freedom until now? You just shoot the red dots and follow the onscreen instructions, it's window dressing for the story.
You clearly don't know what we are complain here.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
In some missions it works, like the manor sequence. Most of the time I found myself wanting to flank or be stealthy and was penalized for literally thinking. I loved the game tho

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Let's not forget when a guy steals you, when you're entering a store, and you have to chase him on foot, Rockstar has disabled your access to your gun and your lace. Why? Because you do not have any freedom, you have that play as the rockstar want. There are several moments like this, incredible how the critics ignored all this.
I mean, that happened in Saint Denis. You're not just going to whip out a gun in the middle of a crowded city because someone stole your wallet. You should still have access to your lasso, admittedly, but people complaining about not being able to do things that your character wouldn't actually do... I don't get that. There's another mission where you specifically have to bring in people alive and you can't lasso them either because the game wants you to have a fistfight instead. So I agree with your basic point, I just wouldn't highlight that specific moment as an example.

Escapist

Oct 29, 2017
I am so glad I saw this thread. I just put the controller down. I think of all the games I have ever owned, this has to be the one where I genuinely don't understand the high praise, not even remotely. Before I bought the game, I noticed such a big discrepancy between user reviews and critic scores, but I ignored them because I love the first game and have no problems with slower paced games. But this game is so damn rigid. The movement, lack of mission freedom, the controls. It LOOKS like the most modern game ever with its presentation, but I swear mechanically it plays like something from a decade ago. When the smoke and mirrors wear off in the coming years I do not think this game will be remembered as fondly to warrant the scores it received.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It is even worse.

Atleast GTA5 had more vaierty in their missions and you didn't really have as much moments where you are likely to get a fail state (though it still did). This game is even worse.
It's funny, because after GTAV my hope for the next game was that there would be a little more freedom to how you could plan and carry out the heist missions.

Fast-forward to RDR2 and...yikes.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, because after GTAV my hope for the next game was that there would be a little more freedom to how you could plan and carry out the heist missions.

Fast-forward to RDR2 and...yikes.

Yeah. I think GTAV's mission design got a pass from a lot of people because the amount of things you can do in the open world between missions is absolutely staggering. There are certainly side activities in RDR2 but I think it's fair to say there isn't nearly as much to do as the average GTA game and the story missions here are a bit more of a focus in general. It really makes their rigid nature stand out compared to GTA entries.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, that happened in Saint Denis. You're not just going to whip out a gun in the middle of a crowded city because someone stole your wallet. You should still have access to your lasso, admittedly, but people complaining about not being able to do things that your character wouldn't actually do... I don't get that. There's another mission where you specifically have to bring in people alive and you can't lasso them either because the game wants you to have a fistfight instead. So I agree with your basic point, I just wouldn't highlight that specific moment as an example.
No,I disagree with you,before that,I could whip out my gun any time I want in that city,right?Why this asshole steal me and suddenly Rockstar disabled my options,force me to smash X button by two blocks,and I am supposed to be an outlaw.
By the way,I tried to use the lace, whip out my gun or not is my decision.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So now you're being reductive for absolutely no reason.

I don't see why you bothered to respond if it was just for saying this.

I should have added a winky face since it was mostly tongue in cheek. I think the story in RDR2 is fantastic, but I do believe the way mission design is structures is so vastly opposite of how the rest of the game is set up that it breaks immersion to some degree.

Nov 1, 2017
Ambushes are harder than the missions I swear.

Here I am enjoying fake nature, telling my horse that it's alright, and then KABLAMO! Ambush! I try riding around folk shooting, and then die.

yeah, it's rough. I always try to turn 180, run away. hide behind a rock, eat like four cans of beans and a tonic and start blasting. I'm like 2 for 8 on winning those things. If my horse Diego dies... I might as well reload the save.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Ambushes are harder than the missions I swear.

Here I am enjoying fake nature, telling my horse that it's alright, and then KABLAMO! Ambush! I try riding around folk shooting, and then die.
There's the one covered bridge on the way to Saint Denis and I swear I get ambushed like 25% of the time I cross it. And they come from both sides and box you in. It's incredibly annoying. I mean, effective as an ambush spot, obviously. But come on now.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
yeah, it's rough. I always try to turn 180, run away. hide behind a rock, eat like four cans of beans and a tonic and start blasting. I'm like 2 for 8 on winning those things. If my horse Diego dies... I might as well reload the save.
Yup, one of two occasions my horse died was an ambush.

The other was the gunslinger mission on the train, horse tried to follow even though I tied it up. Got obliterated by the train. Reloaded ofc

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
RDR2 is great in open world and dynamic events with NPCs and generally.

But id be lying if i said that Chapter 3, 4, and 5 were amazing. A lot of main missions felt like filler and a lot of side content was not satisfying. Aside from a few missions in the big city , i thought others there were like filler. For some reason. IF that makes sense

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Specific criteria which restricts the player agency, how does that not make it more restrictive? I can't go left or right I have to go straight, that's literally restricting what I can do when it really doesn't have to. Why shouldn't you be able to flank? The simplest stuff in a shooting game.

For God sake I turned off the mission marker to start the game and made one wrong turn onto another road with the carriage for a few feet and had to start all over again.

You turn to the wrong side,you are guilty,not Rockstar :/ , it's fine

The mission where you hunt a bear,I forgot my rifle on my horse,when I remembered I said,"Ok,I go back a few steps and pick up",since my horse was near the first footprint,near half the way,I got a mission failed,I literally only walked back by the same path I did before,walked back maybe 10 ~15 steps,I lost all progress after the first footprint.

Once, in the first mission that you buy a new horse, you must ride a black horse, but my game bugged, the horse did not appear, it was invisible, I did not know how to retray the game, what did I do?I walked ( with the cell ) far away opposite the place where the horse was, when I was in the middle of the camp (5~8 steps from the horse), I received mission failed message, then the horse reappeared, but curious, as in these two cases, I literally just walked a few steps contrary to the next point yellow.

What a joke,Rockstar lost their minds with this game.

Now,imagine stuff like that in a AC game,how much shit would have got by critics and users,I am currently playing AC Odyssey and it is like day and night.I have checkpoints like RDR2,but I don't fail if I enter in a fort by back,left or right,by aproaching by my way.

Those stealth missions in Spider Man are more restrictive than anything in Red Dead. I guess that should have destroyed the game for me completely, since it's such a stark disconnect. But not really. I enjoyed it all the same.

This almost killed the game for me,thanks is a little part of the game,but for this and other reasons,Marvel's Spiderman was nothing special for me,still a good game.

Last edited:

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
ND's encounters are way more dynamic. They're both linear games in ND's is more dynamic and let's you play creatively. They're small play spaces but they never play quite the same. In Rockstar's it's strict and guided, their encounters never feel like your meaningfully effecting them. Also the mission themselves were pretty repetitive.

I hope Rockstar's strict mission design is phased out. Their AI is also static, and never seems to do much beside pop into your view hoping to get shot.

Last edited:

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Yeah, I agree. Multiple open world games utilize their world very well, and give more player agency, that RDR2 just feels dated to me.

They've definitely lost the open world crown for me.

Kalamoj

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I loved RDR2, but it has a ton of annoyances I don't like. (For instance, get ambushed on the road? That's most likely a quick death because fuck you.)
For some reason I always managed to escape with a sprint. There is a curvy rode around the north part of the Tall Trees (you have to take it for the last Horseman sprint challenge) whete more than 10 skinners ambushed me almost all the time I rode there. Always escaped without a scratch.
Nonetheless ambushes are annoying as hell.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
It's been mentioned already in this thread (as well as the several other threads on this issue).

Tightly focused story missions, directed and crafted in a rigid way, better sets up excellent cinematic setpiece moments. The Braithwaite Manor mission was already mentioned earlier in this thread. You don't get that moment of the entire gang walking up to the mansion (one of my favorite moments in any game this generation) if you're allowed to just wander around and try to flank the mansion from the back.

That moment was amazing,the best moment of the game until then,the music,atmosphere was amazing,I give you that,but once you are in the mansion,why the hell I can't flank?I am at a shoot out,it is the basic for any shooter.
And the benefit of this design in the followed cases? The other friend got failed the mission because he entered the wrong turn, the game does not even try to warn him of the error, as the NPC drawing his attention, as other games does, but not, mission failed, start all over again.
I love linear games,I love so many thinks about the story in RDR2,the characters,but this is terrible.

The mission where you hunt a bear,I forgot my rifle on my horse,when I remembered I said,"Ok,I go back a few steps and pick up",since my horse was near the first footprint,near half the way,I got a mission failed,I literally only walked back by the same path I did before,walked back maybe 10 ~15 steps,I lost all progress after the first footprint.

Once, in the first mission that you buy a new horse, you must ride a black horse, but my game bugged, the horse did not appear, it was invisible, I did not know how to retray the game, what did I do?I walked ( with the cell ) far away opposite the place where the horse was, when I was in the middle of the camp (5~8 steps from the horse), I received mission failed message, then the horse reappeared, but curious, as in these two cases, I literally just walked a few steps contrary to the next point yellow.

What a joke,Rockstar lost their minds with this game.
Let's not forget when a guy steals you, when you're entering a store, and you have to chase him on foot, Rockstar has disabled your access to your gun and your lace. Why? Because you do not have any freedom, you have that play as the rockstar want. There are several moments like this, incredible how the critics ignored all this.

One of the last missions of the game, the last objective for me was to arrive in a house, I arrived with the horse a few meters from the front of the house, I went down and walked, so I realized that I had received the message to ride my horse,come on, I got off the horse, I took two steps, but I had to go back and mount the horse to walk the last goddamn step,so that the mission would be completed and begin the cutscene.This game is something.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
People compare playing Arthur Morgan to being an actor in a good film, but actors are supposed to put their own perspective into a role, and are usually allowed to ad lib in character. Playing RDR2 feels more like being the lighting best boy. If you angle the reflective screen 2 degrees wrong you get shouted at by the director and the take gets reshot.

Dec 6, 2017
US
During missions, I get that the game has certain rules you must strictly follow, but sometimes it's too anal for is own good.

Here, I was robbing a bank and we engaged in a shoot out right outside the building, my instinct was to go right behind the building to avoid the shoot out.

Game over you abandoned the gang.

Okay retry.

This time I'll shoot the guy on my right and sprint towards the horses. Apparently I got to the horses to fast.

Game over you abandoned the gang.

Okay I'll try and shoot everyone and stay behind so the gang can proceed.

Game over bill has died.

So okay I'll walk at the same pace shooting and getting shot (for no reason ) get on the horses (all of us) avoid the lawman. Get to a safe spot, I see a 3 star jack rabbit go a bit of ths trail to try to hunt the rabbit. And game over you abandoned the gang.

For a game so free, it really lacks creativity when doing missions.

I don't think A.i members should die and I feel that a.i members should follow you or wait for you if you decide to slightly alter your course.

Anyhow I gave up trying to be creative and now I just follow yellow dots on the radar and follow instructions like a good boah.

Anyone else with such an experience?

Absolutely. I enjoyed roaming around and doing my own thing until that dried up and I ended up dropping it somewhere in Chapter 3. The story missions are absurdly shitty.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Thread title is understatement of the year. I get bored immediately whenever I fire up the game even though I love everything else about it.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Never had a problem with it. The story and scripted missions are what make Rockstar's games infinitely more interesting than other open-world games to me *shrug*

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
People compare playing Arthur Morgan to being an actor in a good film, but actors are supposed to put their own perspective into a role, and are usually allowed to ad lib in character. Playing RDR2 feels more like being the lighting best boy. If you angle the reflective screen 2 degrees wrong you get shouted at by the director and the take gets reshot.

You're allowed to ad lib at times. For instance sometimes you can decide which question you ask first. On rare occasions the script is open enough to allow a choice, like leading the way or following other characters. But if you walk out of shot, or hide go to hide behind a real crate instead of the prop one they rigged to explode, it's "Cut!".

"Arthur, I know Charles' line is 'Let's investigate that camp', but the script - look here - your script says 'Follow Charles into the camp'. We haven't rehearsed approaching from the back, so if you could just stick to the script on this one that would be great. Alright, good, OK, ready and... action!".

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
What is this? Instant turnoff for me, I don't care if the PC version ever comes out now.

This is the wild west, I want to betray my gang members and kill them when I feel like it. Like how could you possibly mess that up?

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017

Wut? LOL.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I am so glad I saw this thread. I just put the controller down. I think of all the games I have ever owned, this has to be the one where I genuinely don't understand the high praise, not even remotely. Before I bought the game, I noticed such a big discrepancy between user reviews and critic scores, but I ignored them because I love the first game and have no problems with slower paced games. But this game is so damn rigid. The movement, lack of mission freedom, the controls. It LOOKS like the most modern game ever with its presentation, but I swear mechanically it plays like something from a decade ago. When the smoke and mirrors wear off in the coming years I do not think this game will be remembered as fondly to warrant the scores it received.

all i can add is that, having finally finished it a few days ago, my single, over-whelming reaction was one of relief. not amazement, or joy, or frustration, just relief. i was just so damned relieved to finally be done with the main game...

though i gotta admit
being free to now wander about, including through a compressed version of new austin, almost (but not quite) made the whole thing worth it :) ...

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Actually I'm glad the story is a linear experience with great presentation and no open world sandbox gameplay as we see it in most games nowadays.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the number of "Mission Failed"'s I saw for the dumbest things caused me to drop the game. Half the time it took me a few tries before I even realized why I failed.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actor: "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

Rockstar: "Cuuuuuuuuuut! That wasn't in the script! We didn't hire you to display any sort of creativity. Just robotically follow this super awesome script we wrote where every scene involves going somewhere and having something go wrong. Again."

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Obligatory "there's a difference between linearity and Rockstar's version of linearity".

I beat the game with over 60 h,and I can say,even after 40 h,there is missions that feels like a tutorial.

The story missions are all glorified tutorials because half the time it's impossible to know how or where to go next to actually advance without the game just showing you.

Also you can play for 1000 hours and the game still spits out a massive box of text explaining what cover scent is every time you apply it to yourself.

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
I think once I understand how the game wants me to play it I adapt to that. I'm with not having every single game ever made from now on being completely open. It's somewhat like playing a horror game and expecting to laugh like it's meant to be a comedy or something.

I experiment in the beginning with mission structure and once I get a feel for how the game should be played I play it that way. If the game wants me to experiment and bend the rules and do crazy shit (like Dishonored or Phantom Pain for example) then cool. If it wants to tell a more linear story where I get to see scripted paths then that's fine too.

I don't want/need every game to be limitless. It doesn't bother me. We can call it "outdated" game design but I think there's a place for linear and methodical/controlled storytelling.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
However, despite my first post, I do think this the dead horse has been beaten to a pulp, then resurrected, and then beat several times over.

edit: just make the NakeyJakey video thread a megathread about this subject.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I just fired up the game a bit, I have not played it since November.
Didn't do any missions just rode around a bit shooting cows and other animals in the forest and chilled.

It's really nice to just cruise around on the horse when you are not hamstrung by the missions.. Maybe I'll just play it like this :)

There is much to like here outside of the story.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I even feel exploring the world is restrictive. I can't even get up a hill that isn't marked on the map as a road without falling back down it even on horseback.
Hell I can't even swim across calm waters without him losing all stamina in quicktime then dying. Game wasn't fun for me.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Probably one of my biggest complaints with the game. I feel a lot of stress trying to guess where the boundaries of the mission design are a lot of times. I tend to like to play "wide", so I've run across those boundaries quite a few times.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Obligatory "there's a difference between linearity and Rockstar's version of linearity".

Pretty much. I love linear games, but RDR2 tested the fuck out of my patience with the whole 'oh, you were a whole two seconds too far behind the character you're supposed to be following? FAILED.'

Probably one of my biggest complaints with the game. I feel a lot of stress trying to guess where the boundaries of the mission design are a lot of times. I tend to like to play "wide", so I've run across those boundaries quite a few times.

1000% this. The boundaries felt different for every other mission.The Naughty Dog comparison from earlier in the thread was interesting, because with ND games, for the most part, I know what the boundaries are for each level. I have to go from Point A to Point B, but there is freedom in how I want to go about it*. TLoU is good with this especially. It wasn't until doing a Grounded playthrough that I realized you really don't have to kill many enemies to get through levels, you just need to know how to get past them.

*That being said, I have memories of failing points of UC3 with Young Nate because I didn't go on the right direction (because I was confused as to where to go). Nate also had animation in UC3 where he'd brace himself against the wall if you came close to it, which was really bad if you were running away from something. Didn't have either issue in UC4 or TLL, though.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yuuuuup

I doubt many people criticizing this game's approach to linear gameplay have any real problem with linear design as a whole.

This. It's gonna take years to dethrone.

It'll take until the next Rockstar game. Probably GTA VI.

Because almost every other open world developer is attempting to actually advance the core design of the genre.

Rockstar games are unmatched in their presentation and attention to detail but have since long been bested by other open world games in pretty much every other area.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Remember in vice city when you could get out of your car in a race and rocket launcher the whole starting lineup ? Those days are long gone it's like rockstar has spent all it's time since then figuring out how not to let you do shit like that. And fun levels have declined linear for me as well. That and the just excruciatingly slow pace of the game. I mean I just don't have an hour to waste hunting 2 animals down these days. I like the mechanics but most of the time it prevents me bothering to load the game at all unless I've got >1hr to play

Sintax

Alt account
Banned
Jan 18, 2019
In Witcher 3, you can abandon a mission without it failing, having the freedom to return to it when you so choose. Even better, you are allowed multiple paths to completing missions in Witcher 3, many of them being flexible in how they're completed. No such freedom exists in RDR2. The idea of player agency is completely foreign to the game, your role as a player serving no other purpose than to guide Arthur through glorified cut scenes, the illusion of input always shattered when you decide to step outside of the boundaries Rockstar has drawn. Who cares how dynamic and free the side content is when the narrative weight of the game, the story-based missions, are so inflexible and dependent on you following a set path from which deviation means failure? Is it a gorgeous game, unparalleled in the presentation of its world? Without question. Is the actual gameplay fun? Outside of the side content, no.

Remember in vice city when you could get out of your car in a race and rocket launcher the whole starting lineup ? Those days are long gone it's like rockstar has spent all it's time since then figuring out how not to let you do shit like that. And fun levels have declined linear for me as well. That and the just excruciatingly slow pace of the game. I mean I just don't have an hour to waste hunting 2 animals down these days. I like the mechanics but most of the time it prevents me bothering to load the game at all unless I've got >1hr to play

There's a very good reason Vice City is regarded by so many gamers as the absolute cream of the crop by Rockstar. It is, in my opinion, the very best game they've ever made. If San Andreas didn't have so much bloat, it'd be up there.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how people cant accept this. I though it was the perfect balance. Story missions for a tight scripted story event, and open world gameplay for everything else.