• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Really just looking for some input on which version to pursue. I have some MS Bucks to use and was thinking of picking it up on XSX rather than PC. But it seems like the PC version has more features such as turning off bounties and isn't locked to 30FPS. I typically pursue the PC version with everything, but I've been reading the Rockstar DRM isn't pleasant and the port isn't great? I wouldn't mind saving the money then.

Any input on those who played on both the new consoles and PC?

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you have a 20 series GPU or better I'd go PC. 10 series or weaker then Xbox. Runs really bad on Pascal iirc

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
If your GPU is good enough, I say PC for 60 fps. Although 30 isn't bad for this game, and the 4K on the xbox version is pin sharp, so not a bad option either.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
What're your PC specs? Depending on those I'd say go with Xbox if you want 4k or PC if you want higher than 30fps and potentially higher quality settings

PC version also supports DLSS which is a huge boon

Oct 25, 2019
I refunded RDR2 on Steam because of a serious audio bug, that after troubleshooting online I learned was apparently introduced in a patch about a year ago and no fix has been forthcoming.

That experience, on top of previous issues with GTA5 on PC has made me hesitant to buy future games of theirs on PC. If you go PC, I hope you have a better experience than I did.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
You got a strong PC? PC.

You don't got a strong PC? Console.

Pretty much this for every single game ever.

Kavalier_Clay

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 16, 2021
From what I've seen on youtube, there some to be some sick graphics mods to the game on PC. So you'd likely be missing out on those. But at the same time we know Rockstar is working on a Series X and PS5 next gen upgrade for the game so it might be worth waiting for that.

Vans

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Console. RDR2 on PC has been a really awful experience for me, I haven't been able to beat the bloody thing for 2 YEARS now because of crashes.

Sometimes the launcher cannot go online, so I can't play the game. The game is riddled with a myriad of random unsolvable crashes since the Naturalist update which often required me to replay missions for hours before being able to save my progress. It is just not enjoyable at all.

The crashing is really distracting, so I really cannot in good conscience recommend that version of the game. And I suspect the majority of the problems aren't the game itself, it is the launcher having some stupid asinine bugs.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
RDR 2 is very much a couch experience for me, meaning that if you have a decent PC installed in your living room and can play with a controller, yeah sure PC.

Otherwise I'd go for the console.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
I havent played it on pc but I would guess shooting is a lot more fun there as it just auto aim on console

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Playing on PC right now after the Steam Autumn sale and let me tell you it is just a joy to experience

GPU is a 3080, playing at 1440p with all the bells and whistles and DLSS on at well over 100 FPS (average) and it is about the prettiest goddamn thing I've seen on my machine to date.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
PC i'd say, and not for performance or eye candy.

I've heard many horror stories about the gameplay, pressing the wrong inputs, so on and so forth when playing the game on consoles. Given that i had absolutely zero issues when playing the game on PC with mouse and keyboard, i'd say the issue with gameplay is centered around the gamepad.

So play on PC with M/KB and enjoy.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
DLSS is pretty awful on PC.

It introduces tons of really awful artifacts. Mainly, it brightens the entire scene slightly when you move the camera then darkens it when you stop.

Also, when you move the camera, tree textures get slightly more transparent and when you stop moving it they fill back in.

There are also really weird outlines around characters when against certain surfaces, and they are always there if the character is against the sky.

Apparently it has something to do with the game engine's particular reliance on it's implementation of TAA that is always active even if TAA is turned off.

Luckily I'm using a 3070 so I can play at decent settings and still get 60 fps without DLSS, but I definitely do not recommend using DLSS in this game.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the next gen version but we will sadly probably have to wait until after the "next gen" GTA V releases in the spring for an announcement.

Forgot to mention that if you're interested in that next gen version you might want to wait. Rockstar doesn't do free next gen updates.

Last edited:

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
PC has major texture issues. If you can't run it at max settings, it will look like absolute muddy shit. I couldn't play Poker properly because the card textures were so blurry it was unreadable. I ran it at high/medium and many textures looked half loaded and worse than on my Xbox One. I looked it up and the solution was "run it on max". The hair was terrible as well if it's not on max.

tandeciarz

Apr 21, 2020
I decided to just stick with my XBOX version I bought much earlier before the PC release. I really don't feel comfortable installing additional launchers :/

Semblance

Oct 26, 2017
California
Mouse and keyboard made a massive difference for me. I hated how it controlled on console, but replayed it on PC earlier in the year and now it's one of my favorite games.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
PC so you can also remove the boring restrictions that plague this game like taking care of the horse etc. Rdr2 feels like you're playing the Sims most of the time.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I refunded RDR2 on Steam because of a serious audio bug, that after troubleshooting online I learned was apparently introduced in a patch about a year ago and no fix has been forthcoming.

That experience, on top of previous issues with GTA5 on PC has made me hesitant to buy future games of theirs on PC. If you go PC, I hope you have a better experience than I did.

They still haven't fixed that? That is crazy.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
30fps is bad for this game, imo. It makes all the weighty stuff feel even less responsive.

60fps honestly feels like a completely different game to me, gameplay wise. The slow animation, weighty realism combined with responsiveness of 60fp+ is so much nicer to play.
PC so you can also remove the boring restrictions that plague this game like taking care of the horse etc. Rdr2 feels like you're playing the Sims most of the time.
I play the game specifically for these parts... taking care of the horse is part of what makes the game so good.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017

I feel like i played a different game than most people. I have over 100 hours in game and I think I pet the horse twice.

Anyway definitely PC if you can run it at 60 FPS.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I actually play with a "survival" mod that makes all your meters deplete constantly so you have to always hunt and feed yourself.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I saw one of your older posts saying you have a 560 GTX? Is that still the case? Then Xbox.

Even Xbox One.

Newer? PC.

The 4k is nice on Xbox Series X, but you'll be wishing you can get past the framerate right away, especially if you can hit at least 1440p60 with your GPU.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough I also played the game like that when it first came out on consoles and I enjoyed it. I was just making a case for the PC version in case that's something that would bore you as it did many of my friends.
Yeh I'm not saying you're wrong. And the beauty of PC is you get to fine tune this stuff to taste.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
PC has major texture issues. If you can't run it at max settings, it will look like absolute muddy shit. I couldn't play Poker properly because the card textures were so blurry it was unreadable. I ran it at high/medium and many textures looked half loaded and worse than on my Xbox One. I looked it up and the solution was "run it on max". The hair was terrible as well if it's not on max.

It's true that any texture quality setting lower than Ultra doesn't look good, but you just have to max out that one setting to solve it, not run every setting on the Ultra preset. Ultra texture quality is not performance prohibitive relative to other settings and is more just a matter of having sufficient VRAM. (And I'd expect any GPU capable of running the game well in general to have sufficient VRAM.)

Edit: Not sure if that's out of date info as well—I just know the above was the case at launch.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
That's been fixed for like ages

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
PC version is far superior, if you have a decent PC of course.

it scales well if your gpu is decent and you don't have a crap cpu to feed it. Considering how other heavy hitters including FH5 didn't scale as nice despite coming out later it;'s held up well on new and old machines plus consoles.

Oct 27, 2017
It depends how you like playing and what's important. Since it's 30 fps on consoles I would say PC.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
not gonna lie

I've never been able to get my PC version working at a rock solid 4K/30fps like the Series X version. it's an absolutely immaculate version of the game.

it always stutters or there's some fucking issue

i don't have the patience to tinker with settings I guess

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly a couch gamer, but this game is next level on PC if it can handle it.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a 20 series GPU or better I'd go PC. 10 series or weaker then Xbox. Runs really bad on Pascal iirc
I don't think that's true. I got about 50fps in Saint Denis at native 2160p with a 5800X and 1080 Ti. From what I understand, that's one of the more demanding areas of the game. Mostly high settings. And then at 1440p, 70-90fps everywhere in the game.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's true. I got about 50fps in Saint Denis at native 2160p with a 5800X and 1080 Ti. From what I understand, that's one of the more demanding areas of the game. Mostly high settings. And then at 1440p, 70-90fps everywhere in the game.
iirc at launch Turning/AMD GPUs were performing a ton better than their similarly powered Pascal counterparts. I remember getting fps drops into the 30s on occasion on my GTX 1080 at 1440p. Basically had to adjust res scale until it was near 1080p so that it would stay at 50+. Even the 2060 was outdoing my 1080 at the time lol
2019-11-06-image-2-p.webp