When do you think RDR2 will be surpassed?

• 0-5 years

• 5-10 years

• 10+ years

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Every now and then a game comes out that has a big impact on you, among these were SoTC, Journey, TLOU, To The Moon etc, and lastly RDR2 for me. It truly feels like the next step in cinematic games since the first MGS. Can't wait for a erase-my-memory device so I can experience it all over again but until then I'll double dip on the pc release.

Oct 29, 2017
Yep. Haven't felt that way playing a game since the Witcher 3. Even then, RDR 2 feels impossible to top. The first two hours or so had me very skeptical but my first ride through the woods, it all felt so natural and alive.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it was called Bed Bead Bedemption noone would care.
It never even surpassed anything for me so...

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i wont stop saying this, its the greatest achievement in gaming so far. Nothing i've seen so far comes anywhere close to it, and i don think anything will until Rockstar decide they want to top it.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I give it the visuals at least. An open world's visuals have never impressed me more. Just jaw-dropping.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Is the poll supposed to ask when the game will be topped in terms of cinematics or game in general? The former I think TLoU2 will have a good shot of succeeding. RDR 2 is a cinematic masterpiece but a terrible game. Should've been a tv series.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Big open world titles rarely draw me in, but Red Dead 2 hooked me so completely that the 60+ hours I put into the game flew by. What an incredible achievement of a game.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yes, it was incredible. Truly an achievement in gaming.

And yes, I think the complaints about the control are just way overblown. I say this as someone who regularly play games at 60fps on PC. RDR2 control is just fine.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I fully agree, game was incredible. Recently been getting back into the Online. It's just such an amazing world.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Huh, surprised that it came out a year ago as I felt like I just played it. I will buy it for PC but from that point on I'd rather wait a year if I have to rather than deal with Rockstars double dipping bullshit.

I loved the game on PS4 despite the really, really shitty aiming controls. I didn't mind too much that the movement and doing things was slower.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I've only thought about it any time is shows up in gameplay compilations like Kotaku Highlight reel. After beating the whole thing, and trying the online, I uninstalled it from my system.

Was it an awesome world to be a part of? Absolutely. Do I want to play it again on PC? Not any time soon. It also isn't one of my all time favorite games, but I can see how it would be for others (much like how I can't get into BotW, but I can see from streams and threads why some people adore it or call it GOTG, etc.)

At least, on PC with a nice sale price and mods I might be able to revisit it. Something to fix the animation priority so I can actually enjoy the gameplay mechanically would be great.

That or letting me ride a Tommy Wiseau horse and doing train heists with Thomas the Tank Engine. Etc.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
There's a reason so many people loved it despite how many of the mechanics are stupid/poorly implemented and how wonky the controls are.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
No other game has been able to capture the experience I had playing RDR2 this gen so I totally understand where you're coming from.

That being said, TLoU2, Cyberpunk, BoTW2 and perhaps the GoW sequel have a strong chance of surpassing it for me and I can see all of them releasing in the next 5 years

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I played about 8 hours and there was almost nothing interesting happening in terms of gameplay, characterization or story. The setting was absolutely stunning, however.

I feel like I'll get back to it some day.

Kamion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Well, 0-5 years because this is a very personal question. While I can comprehend that the game is really polished (though the combat is bad imo), it never "surpassed" any game for me, and thus is doesn't have to be surpassed.

Personally I quit playing after like 10-15 hours because it was just busywork to me. I really wanted to like it, but it just went the "muh realism" route too much and never started actually becoming fun for me. It looked breathtaking and everything but eh. Kinda sad about it.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It was so good.

but also so miserable towards the end, I doubt I'll ever play it again

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I loved everything about it.No other game like it definitely top 5 this gen for me

Oct 30, 2017
Masterpiece.

I don't think any other game will surpass the world of RDD2 till RDD3 releases.. and my god I can't even imagine what they will pull with RDD3 on next gen if RDD2 has reached the limits already for "mind blowing".

Easily in the top 5 games of this gen, and top 10 of all time for me.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
In what it does best (huge world that seems lived in), probably Cyberpunk. If not, only with GTA VI.

In graphics, probably The Last of Us 2.

In everything else, a lot of games. Despite the technical showcase and beauty of the game, RDR 2 was a jack of all trades and master of none.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
I'm really happy that the waiting paid off for once. Haven't seen anything apart from a few trailers and can't wait to play it on PC.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Surpassed in what?Because the only thing RDR2 is in the top is the graphics and open world, next gen is already next year,so 1 year?

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very few studios can afford to put so much time and effort into a single game. I don't think we'll see anyone get even close to reaching some aspects of RDR2 in ten years.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it had a very impressively realised world, a very well told narrative (up until the Epilogue) and beautiful visuals. It also has probably the most restrictive gameplay in main story missions in an action adventure game I have played in more than a decade. I enjoyed the game, but I expect there are are several upcoming games I will prefer.

For sure, I think Death Stranding has a much more intriguing premise, as good or better visuals from what I have seen, and much interesting mechanics. Will see how it comes together.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Mission design has to be the worst in recent Rockstar history. ZERO player agency. So no, this game isn't that good. Graphics ain't everything.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Saying nothing else about the brilliance of the world design and how it still manages to surprise me from an exploration/discovery, emergent/randomness, and ambient/environmental storytelling perspective, after nearly 300 hours RDR2 has sorta settled into the 'National Geographic Simulator' I always wanted as a kid. Much of my time with it these days is spent observing wildlife, chasing storms, seeking out places to catch breathtaking sunrises & sunsets. It's a phenomenal achievement.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Incredibly exhausting yeah. No other game made as tired as this before

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I still think about it since it is my biggest disappointment of the generation. Don't get me wrong, it's good. But it should have been a gotg candidate and instead it barely made my goty top 10 last year :(

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The most realistic and immersive world I've ever had the joy to experience. I don't see many developers being able to come close to that, new hardware or not.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surpassed in many aspects before release and straight after. Interesting world they created but not one i want to revisit.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
definitely my GOTG. its been a great generation for quality and variety in games, and RDR2 is the cherry on top.

it was just stunning.

the camp bug though..... not a good look. (i understand the game is HUGELY complex and there will be some bugs). i played it for dozens of hours with my gf wondering where John and his family are.. then to learn its not part of the story but that they are bugged out of existence because i failed a mission in the wrong way or something... major bummer. the most disheartening bug i've ever come across. had to wait what, a month or two before they finally fixed it? :/