• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
By Rivenblade the winner of the last challenge from that other site.

zNaqNO4.png

Theme: A New Beginning

Word limit: 1,500 words

Submission deadline: December 15th, 2017

t1513411200z4.png

Voting Deadline: December 18th, 2017 by 11:59 pm Pacific time

Optional Secondary Objective: Everything happens in the same small location

Welcome to the first ever Reset Era Creative Writing Challenge! We welcome veterans and newcomers to join us and show off their creative writing chops. Now, onto the theme...

After "winning" or (more likely) losing at nanowrimo, we could all use a fresh start. With that in mind, give us your best 1,500-word short story that embodies the theme of a new beginning. Maybe it's someone's first day at a new school. Maybe it's the end of one relationship and the beginning of another. Maybe it's election night in the not-too-distant future.

Whatever works for YOU and gets your creative juices flowing.

As a totally optional secondary objective, see if you can make all of the action in your story happen in the same small location. Not just the same country or town, but the same room, gas station, store, whatever. And keep it interesting!

Good luck!

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!
- On its own line, type #entry for the bot to find your submission.

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

Important side note: A lot of our regulars like to write out short critiques/comments for the stories, but you can always opt out by simply adding a note like "I'd prefer no critiques" in the post where you submit your story. We're an understanding group and respect that not everyone wants comments on their work. Above all, we just want to read your story.

Since this is a fresh start, here is the full FAQ for first timers, and for those of us who could always use a reminder: [Revisions en route]
Submissions:

Is it safe to post my story?
If you would like to link your work here on ResetEra but are worried about publication rights, the consensus is a password-protected pdf on Dropbox or another cloud drive service. This gets around any possible issues with the language in the TOS, lets you remove it later, and allows you to set a password and make it non-public, which means the work will not count as having been published. If you're looking to publish your work later, this is key.

How do I interpret the theme?
Any way you want. Literally, metaphorically, homophonically. Just remember that others will have their own interpretations and may vote or critique accordingly.

Can I change my entry after submitting?
You can submit and then edit if you'd like (all the way up to the deadline), but finalizing before submitting is encouraged. Some people start reading/critiquing before the deadline, so if you submit, you should be ready to have that version judged/critiqued as is.

Can I submit but opt out of critiques?
Yep! Everyone has their own preferences for giving or receiving critique. If you're not comfortable or would otherwise prefer not to get critiques, just note in your submission post that you're opting out. Totally fine.

Is the deadline strict?
The previous challenge winner/thread starter is the final arbiter. Typically there is a six hour grace period, after which entries are cut off.

Is the word count strict?
Yes. Nobody wants to be a word count nazi, but everyone else goes to a lot of effort to fit under the word count, so it wouldn't be fair to let some people ignore it. (Plus, it's good practice in learning to cut unnecessary words!) Please note your word count in your submission, so we know you're paying attention.

Is there a minimum word count?
Nope. We've had some really short entries in the past. But if you want to win, that haiku had better be top-notch.

How do I do a word count?
There is a handy word count checker at www.wordcounter.net, or just use your word processor's count function.

Are there any format or style requirements?
Any writing style is welcome, but remember that most people are probably going to vote for the well written short story over an elementary acrostic poem. Also, know that making a series of apparently serious posts that you later reveal as your entry has been done.

Do you guys care about spelling and grammar?
Spelling and grammatical errors can be used to great effect when the story, characters, and setting demand it. However, proofreading and spell-checking your writing will probably result in a more positive attitude towards it when people are voting.

Why can't I use the topic as my title?
We prefer if people don't do this. These challenges get a large number of submissions and if entries share the same title, it's difficult for the readers to separate them out come voting time.

Voting:

Do I have to critique to vote?
No. Critiques/comments are appreciated but not required.

I didn't write anything. Can I vote?
Anyone can vote, even those that do not submit a piece during the thread.

What happens if there's a tie?
In the event of a tie, the story with the highest number of first place votes will be declared the winner. If they are still tied after this first tiebreaker, the previous challenge winner will decide any further tie-breaking measures (2nd Place votes, longest since winning, etc.)

Do I have to vote?
You must vote in order to be eligible to win.

My story was super awesome. Can I vote for myself?
Nope.

What happens if I win?
You will get a collective pat on the back and will be in charge of posting the new challenge. Thus the cycle continues. Pick a theme, word count, and secondary objective, and copy/paste the following format into a new thread: https://www.resetera.com/posts/1592023

Thank you, C.B. for the banner

Last edited:
OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thread Subject: RE Creative Writing Challenge #000

zNaqNO4.png

Theme: your theme
Word Limit: [word limit]

Submission Deadline: [day], [date] by 11:59 PM Pacific.

[Use Time function in the "..." menu, time: 00:00:00, date: due date + 1, option: countdown, to generate timer.]

Voting begins [day], [date], and goes until [day], [date] at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: [secondary objective]

On the Sunday during the challenge period, we have a regular writing hangout in the Discord server. Pretend to work on your alleged entry with a whole group!
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Join the server and follow the instructions there.

If you're new to the group and haven't found the general Writing OT yet, here it is:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/writersera-ot-publish-before-you-die.369/

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- Collaborations between two posters are welcome for all challenges, but they cannot also write a second submission individually. Collabs get 1.5X the stated word count maximum, rounded down to the nearest divisible-by-5 integer. Special collaborative challenges may have different rules.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!
- See image, ask for help if you have trouble viewing.
- To submit work on behalf of another person, add a line for #author [name]

entrypost.jpg

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes. You may add an honorable mention (HM).
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge using the thread creation Template

What if I win but I am too shy to make the new challenge?
You can pass on the new challenge honors to the second place winner.

Miscellaneous:

I missed this until too late. When's the next challenge?
They generally run every month. The writing period goes for the first three weeks of a month, and the voting period is the last week of the month. Any extra days provided by the Gregorian calendar are considered a grace period.
If you've missed one challenge, you only have to wait a short time for the next one. Active users will happily ping you on request when a new thread is made.
Previous challenges can be found in the Thread Archive
Thanks to C.B. For the lovely banners, and ashes for the entry finding script, and all the users who have contributed to the rules and methods of the regular contests.
Here is our full, expanded FAQ

Last edited:
OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, aren't they all in the discord? Probably muted their everyones.

Just don't mute your everyones and then complain if you miss the news.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome to see these back again! I'd kinda let my writing fall by the wayside for a year or so, but failing at NaNo (again, lol) has got the creative juices flowing and I miss writing regularly, which I found these challenges were great for encouraging.

I wonder if Bootaaay made it over.

*waves*

My named changed :p

Oyashiro-Sama

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in, I already know what I want to write! I'm going to write a story that i thought up a few years ago.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Heyo.

Not sure if I'll participate in this one, but It's nice to see the creative writing challenge back. I'll be checking these periodically, and maybe writing a story or two here and there.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I was a native English speaker in situations like this :P

Seems like a great idea, to have a community built around sharing work and giving supports and tips to each other. But I'd rather write in Spanish, which is my mother tongue. Still, I'll give it a look and maybe gather some inspiration from around this parts. I've been part of a creative writing course / group for a while and I like looking for external ideas when it comes to writing (especially) shorter stuff.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I gave up on NaNo ridiculously early because I realized I was way in over my head, but this seems achievable (and great training for NaNo 2018). I'll give it a shot

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could never participate because I can only wrote long text in french.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2 weeks to submit 1,500 words? Compared to NaNo this is a cakewalk. Count me in (and watch me fail).

Charade

Oct 25, 2017
Here we goooo

Also damn, an entry already!

Also Mike, don't besmirch grace periods. That's blasphemy.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Rassafrassin' people already submitting stories...

I have two ideas that could work with the themes (one set in a time machine, the other in an airplane), but I don't think I could get either of them down to 1500 words. Which is a good thing for the airplane story, because I want to turn that into an entry in a children's horror series a la Goosebumps. I need to come up with at least a third idea...

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My idea as it currently stands (inside the mind of a coma patient) feels more like Second Chance than New Beginning. Good thing they're not entirely mutually exclusive, I think I can work within the theme

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
By Rivenblade Optional Secondary Objective: Everything happens in the same small location

As a totally optional secondary objective, see if you can make all of the action in your story happen in the same small location. Not just the same country or town, but the same room, gas station, store, whatever. And keep it interesting!

So a bottle episode? Failed nano, so hopefully trying to be a regular here will get me ready for my 5 attempt next year.

Also, is the weekend group writing thing going to happen in the new era?

Last edited:

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Alright, all done. Was a fun exercise. Managed to do the bonus too, although to be honest that's what drove the whole idea, so.

The Waiting Room

Word count: 1417

Password:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

rokninja

Oct 27, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Alright then, I think I'll enter seeing as I failed nano. Again.

(But I got some good material out of Nano so hey, it's all good)