• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
zNaqNO4.png

Theme: Heroes

Word limit: 2000 words

Submission deadline: January 12, 2018 by 11:59 PM Pacific

t1515830100z4.png

Voting Deadline: January 15th, 2018 by 11:59 PM Pacific

Optional Secondary Objective: Memorable first sentence

Give us an opening line that really draws the reader in. Make it interesting. Make it weird. Make it wonderful. Make it something to remember.

Submission Guidelines
:
- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!
- On its own line, type #entry for the bot to find your submission.

Voting Guidelines:
- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

Important side note: A lot of our regulars like to write out short critiques/comments for the stories, but you can always opt out by simply adding a note like "I'd prefer no critiques" in the post where you submit your story. We're an understanding group and respect that not everyone wants comments on their work. Above all, we just want to read your story.

FAQ:

Submissions:

Is it safe to post my story?
If you would like to link your work here on ResetEra but are worried about publication rights, the consensus is a password-protected pdf on Dropbox or another cloud drive service. This gets around any possible issues with the language in the TOS, lets you remove it later, and allows you to set a password and make it non-public, which means the work will not count as having been published. If you're looking to publish your work later, this is key.

How do I interpret the theme?
Any way you want. Literally, metaphorically, homophonically. Just remember that others will have their own interpretations and may vote or critique accordingly.

Can I change my entry after submitting?
You can submit and then edit if you'd like (all the way up to the deadline), but finalizing before submitting is encouraged. Some people start reading/critiquing before the deadline, so if you submit, you should be ready to have that version judged/critiqued as is.

Can I submit but opt out of critiques?
Yep! Everyone has their own preferences for giving or receiving critique. If you're not comfortable or would otherwise prefer not to get critiques, just note in your submission post that you're opting out. Totally fine.

Is the deadline strict?
The previous challenge winner/thread starter is the final arbiter. Typically there is a six hour grace period, after which entries are cut off.

Is the word count strict?
Yes. Nobody wants to be a word count nazi, but everyone else goes to a lot of effort to fit under the word count, so it wouldn't be fair to let some people ignore it. (Plus, it's good practice in learning to cut unnecessary words!) Please note your word count in your submission, so we know you're paying attention.

Is there a minimum word count?
Nope. We've had some really short entries in the past. But if you want to win, that haiku had better be top-notch.

How do I do a word count?
There is a handy word count checker at www.wordcounter.net, or just use your word processor's count function.

Are there any format or style requirements?
Any writing style is welcome, but remember that most people are probably going to vote for the well written short story over an elementary acrostic poem. Also, know that making a series of apparently serious posts that you later reveal as your entry has been done.

Do you guys care about spelling and grammar?
Spelling and grammatical errors can be used to great effect when the story, characters, and setting demand it. However, proofreading and spell-checking your writing will probably result in a more positive attitude towards it when people are voting.

Why can't I use the topic as my title?
We prefer if people don't do this. These challenges get a large number of submissions and if entries share the same title, it's difficult for the readers to separate them out come voting time.

Voting:

Do I have to critique to vote?
No. Critiques/comments are appreciated but not required.

I didn't write anything. Can I vote?
Anyone can vote, even those that do not submit a piece during the thread.

What happens if there's a tie?
In the event of a tie, the story with the highest number of first place votes will be declared the winner. If they are still tied after this first tiebreaker, the previous challenge winner will decide any further tie-breaking measures (2nd Place votes, longest since winning, etc.)

Do I have to vote?
You must vote in order to be eligible to win.

My story was super awesome. Can I vote for myself?
Nope.

What happens if I win?
You will get a collective pat on the back and will be in charge of posting the new challenge. Thus the cycle continues. Pick a theme, word count, and secondary objective, and copy/paste the following format into a new thread: https://www.resetera.com/posts/1592023

Things to keep in mind:

-Word limits of ~2000 are common and have worked pretty well, although you can change it up if you like.

-The writing period usually goes for a week and a half (Tuesday to Friday), then voting goes for three days (Saturday to Monday). You can change it up if you like, but be careful.

-The secondary objective should be something you think is a useful tool, concept, or method, that we can try it out to see if it works for us. This could be a writing technique (e.g. in media res), a format (epistolary), a style (noir), or something basic that we already know but can specifically concentrate on (dialogue). See below for further examples.

-You may need to supply some additional explanation of your secondary objective, so that people understand what you're getting at.

-A list of submitted stories (with links) is extremely useful to people in voting and critiquing. This should also go into the OP once submissions are closed.

What if I win but I am too shy to make the new challenge?
You can pass on the new challenge honors to the second place winner.

Miscellaneous:

I missed this until too late. When's the next challenge?
They generally run every two weeks. The writing period goes for eleven days (Tuesday to Friday), then voting goes for three days (Saturday to Monday). If you've missed one challenge, you only have to wait a few days for the next one.

Last edited:

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I updated the thread creation template with a link to the thread creation template. Good thing adj noun didn't need it. XD

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Nice theme. Now, do I modify an existing (but unwritten) idea or come up with something new?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I'm really excited for this. I'm going to finish another story I've been working on tomorrow, then start on this Thursday morning.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA

I gotta be honest, I'm flailing here. I've got a germ of an idea, no idea how to make it work... probably going to have to be first person which I really dislike doing.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Just remember, gang. A hero can have a thousand faces. Just focus on one of them. Or all of them.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
If I do this I am likely going to have to remove the limitations I put on myself... as the best idea I have so far is a Magic School bus fanfic covering how your average person can be a hero >.<:

don't know if I will get to this though as I think I am getting a cold, and that will make getting my normal writing done hard enough :(

Ursus007

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lausanne, Swizterland
New Year - new challenges. I always wanted to try my hand in writing, so may participate for the first time.
It's actually good that the theme is vague, give more leeway for imagination.

Ready to be crucified.

Royal_Flush

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sad because I actually have a pretty cool idea, but my priorities in life need to be elsewhere right now. I hope I'll be able to participate again soon

Magenta

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds really cool but I start school this week. I hope to join a challenge soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Quick reminder: we have a writing hangout for 4pm tomorrow (Sunday) on the Writing Era discord so if you're hurting for ideas, maybe drop on by, shoot the shit, get some writing done.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright the hangout is starting. We're going to do it a little differently as a DM chat over discord, so if you're here for the hangout, just mention it in the general channel of the Writing Era discord and I'll add you. The way it works is 10 minutes of chat, 30 minutes of writing. Rinse and repeat for two hours. They're good fun and a good way to get some work done, so drop on by!

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
I have had a ridiculously hard time getting into this challenge. Just took forever to come up with something to write, and even then I wasn't really in love with the idea. I only now just got the first draft in the can, ugh.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Me too. I've got most of a draft written, but it's more autobiographical than I'm really comfortable with, so I'm trying to force myself to come up with another idea.

Silentbomber

Oct 27, 2017
Ah Man I just saw this...

well I guess I will wait for the next one as it's too late now (I barely get enough time writing these as it is)

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Ah Man I just saw this...

well I guess I will wait for the next one as it's too late now (I barely get enough time writing these as it is)

I can tell you for certain that a good part of the regulars have also not yet started to write their story. Experience also has shown me that the people that claim to jump in on the next one almost never do. So, if you are seriously interested it is way better to just do it now (or wait until 6 hours past the deadline since we are very lenient when it comes to that) or I doubt we'll ever see you again in here.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
I can tell you for certain that a good part of the regulars have also not yet started to write their story. Experience also has shown me that the people that claim to jump in on the next one almost never do. So, if you are seriously interested it is way better to just do it now (or wait until 6 hours past the deadline since we are very lenient when it comes to that) or I doubt we'll ever see you again in here.
Haven't written a word... although I'm not sure I count as a regular yet.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Haven't written a word... although I'm not sure I count as a regular yet.

Honestly, I count almost everyone who submits more than one story as regular. I just wanted to shed a light on the comfortable lie of "Oh no, I'm too late for this one, I'll jump in next time." Can't remember how often I read that one only to never see the person in question again.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
For my part, I had intended to join up with the challenges for years, but would continually only see the threads after the deadline had passed and promptly forget to check it again for the link to the new one. Then one day I finally caught one the day it went live and I've been doing this shit ever since.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I count almost everyone who submits more than one story as regular. I just wanted to shed a light on the comfortable lie of "Oh no, I'm too late for this one, I'll jump in next time." Can't remember how often I read that one only to never see the person in question again.
I'm still lingering around >.>
I will do the next one...
maybe...
if I do it will make twice I have done one of these :P