• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
After the Last Page Dongs Macabre

I thought this was a really interesting story. It was that I've wanted to see in the hero genre. Ive always wonder what a story can be when the usual powerful all perfect fighting only for truth and justice type hero vanishes and seeing how the world would be without them. I really enjoyed the round table discussion part and the aftermath/implications later on.

I think the Light - Guiding Light - Knight Light was a bit at times unclear, especially too when there was a lowercase light too.

Defenders Ursus007

It always takes me a while to get into a story set in first person, the same ended up being true here. I I think I need something there that would really make me connect with the character at the beginning. I think the issue here was that we were tossed right into a war which made it hard to connect and feel immersed.

However, I think the story really took off once we made it to the 2nd half. At that point I felt like I deeply connected with Arthur. He seemed really well done easily ranking as the best written character in your story.

The inspirational speech by their sergeant was actually amazing and even almost made me feel inspired. I wanted to cheer for them and have them make it through.

Good overall

The Last Hero John Dunbar
This was an very Interesting take on Judas character and one that I've never actually encountered in fiction in such a way. He served as an interesting guide and voice for Anselm.

I found Anselm's perceived innocence very nice...but I do wish we had known what he had done. I think if we knew it could have really made the story a bit more impactful, especially with knowing that there are people there who knew what they did in their previous life.

Otherwise compelling premise an an interesting thought experiment on the afterlife from a Christian pov.

The Call Mike

I cant believe vanity phone number generators are real. I actually did go look it up on the web to see if you were making it up and if such a thing existed. It so fun.

The main character ended up being one of the more unique ones among all entries and not just because of his hallucination and potential anxieties but also his earnest and curiosity to try to check it out and do the perceived right thing. Conner really deserves happiness and joy however I was sad that he is now so into it that the barrier between fact and fiction has nearly vanished.

I almost thought the doctor was going to say it was part of some type of superhero scheme or something, (though I was hoping the story would not go there and keep it grounded).

I always think such leads are just not pursued much in writing that I've encountered which is unfortunate.

Refreshing story.

Blue Thunder UCBooties

I never saw that ending coming. I feel so strange that I might have missed some of the details leading up to it from the beginning. Rereading it it seemed that stomach noises that I thought seemed to be odd things to note, and maybe even how knowledgable the protagonist was should have sent off the alarms.

Blue Thunder was precious and would easily be my favorite character if this were a bigger thing. Im sad that even after doing something so heroic he had to be absorbed. He was such a promising youthful upstart even if nervous. Why you do that to him!

Nice world and nice take on the super hero genre.

Inferno adj_noun

I think I might have gotten lost in a little of this. For example it felt like there was a sentence or even a paragraph missing. In one moment Chuck was outside the caution tape, then he described the accountant, then next he was at the boy? Problem a minor misunderstand or a misread on my part. Also there were a few missing "he's" etc in places, and also "No standing O had ever sounded so good"? "O"?

Beyond that it was a really good hero story. I love happy endings but this was, well it felt like twice in his life he was litrally right there to be the hero for someone, but at the final moment something instead took the attention and the credit (flying woman in the video at the wrestling show, even though he was a god to the kid, and then in the end how he was so close to the end with saving the boy and reaching the safe zone but collapsed and this lame dude took the boy and the credit probably).

Paper Heroes Rivenblade

Wow for a story with IRL people I never heard of, this was really good and interesting. I think I can relate with the trading cards and the pure innocence of grade schoolers bringing their cards to school and trading and comparing them with each other was entertaining. I really like all the character's antics and their snippets of personality. The scene when they were waiting to see what was under the other card in the sleeve was amazing.

New Growth W-00

I thought this sounded like a good story to perhaps have for Arbor day. I like the story on the level of the starting new life from that which was burned down, but too bad it didnt translate to the jewels that were mined and taken.

I connected with the girl a lot and share the same sentiment as her about the conclusion of what the British man did.

Gentlemen Xagarath

The story had plenty of potential that almost felt like it was fully tapped. If it had been a bit longer and a bit more detailed with more character interactions then I think it would have been extremely fun.

I did have a good laugh at Robert at the end there and seeing him fall victim to their plotting.

His Godless West Ashes

With so much bad happening to Imtiaz I wondered if he would ever get a good end but I guess you didnt want him to have one. Shame about the pub owners at the end.

The part where he seemed to judge Rashid just based on his skin and assumed without knowing his education was a really well done part.

Too sad.

A vow of unrelenting violence FlowersisBritish

There was a line, kicking up dirt with each broken bone, which Im struggling to visualize. Maybe it was too simplified of a description.

Storywise, really good and great fantasy with magic. Would have liked Mission didnt have a saber, I dont like sabers anymore because it reminds me too much of Saber (Fate, awful character, sorry).

Chiel ended up being my favorite as he seemed more cunning and calculating and experimental in everything, while Chiel seemed a bit less developed and explored in that regard. So, it ended up being, me wanting to see Chiel succeed.

I also do wish we had a bit more on why Chiel had become a murdered, what was his motive and what drove him to go from hero to murderer.

Heromaker Nezumi

Darn did Reky die? I was all really cheering him on that he would finally get to be the hero he wanted to be, not become so dulled with battle sense that he got off'd perhaps by another Hero.

I like your way of describing the battle and moves.

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely found myself struggling with keeping the story grounded what with the protagonist floating around in nothingness and all. Initially I wanted to lean into the idea of the Light being in the gutter and add a bit more physicality to his interactions with the panels. I had a mental picture of what it would look like, but putting it into words in a way that gives his actions meaning was challenging and I couldn't figure out a good way to do it.

I think your void space works mostly because he summons a comic book from it, giving us the grounding to start to understand where we are. I agree with the physicality to his interactions with it is a really good idea and also really makes him (the one in the void) feel more involved with the story. If anything, you could use a bit more physicality with the Cosmic Book (still fucking love this name).

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Feedback on previous page. Here are my votes:

1. UCBooties
2. W-00
3. John Dunbar

HM: Dongs, Mike

Great job, everyone.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Prefacing this with general comments: Comic books and superheroes have been around for going on a century at this point. At times it seems that practically anything that can be done with the genre has been done, and it's really freaking hard to come up with anything unique and to do it well. Every possible take has been done, and it feels like you have to bring your AAA game to even move the needle sometimes.

Quick thoughts...

· Dongs Macabre: I feel like I can rattle off a bunch of different takes that are somewhere along the line of "evil is defined by good, so the hero inadvertently creates the circumstances that allows evil." Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader, the whole character of Sentry in Marvel, I want to say Supershock in Powers was something like that. I don't think you were well-served by barely altering Superman and Batman characters; it only called attention to itself and didn't do anything that you couldn't accomplish with more original characters. Long story short, I liked the idea at the center, but I think you're capable of better execution.

· Ursus007: I don't think the epilogue added anything to the story. This seemed to be something that made a bet to live or die by the emotions it was meant to evoke, but in the end we didn't have enough time with any of these characters to develop any attachment and have their deaths mean anything. We're just thrown into the end of everything with nothing invested in the fates of the characters.

· John Dunbar: I kept waiting for the reveal of what Anselm did that would warrant being placed with "people who were such garbage they made others want to clean up after them." The longer it went on, the more the things seemed to drift from that to it being just a place largely for the apathetic that didn't warrant either reward or punishment. Which is fine, I suppose, but I don't think Judas really succeeded in selling that not going out of one's way to help fellow man is in the same league as telling Rosa Parks to give up her seat on the bus.

· Mike: Speaking as someone who gets bent out of shape with the depictions of practically anything to do with science in fiction, I'm kind of wary about what I wrote here. I don't know much about schizophrenia, outside that its portrayal is often problematic, which I fear may be the case here. If I had more time and energy, maybe I would have been able to look up a professional to interview rather than just googling what medications are used to treat and just making shit up. Everything kind of unraveled in the end, too, as I had no idea how to end it.

· UCBooties: There was kind of a repeating thing this week where there were stories with unnecessary prologues/epilogues, and this was one of them. Outside of dropping the retrospectively clever "I've always had a taste for heroics," the entire first page honestly isn't even relevant to anything that follows. The twist was telegraphed a mile away the moment the protagonist used sonic powers, everything after that was just waiting for him to go all Sylar on us.

· adj_noun: Don't know if you're reading the feedback for other stories, but I feel like I have a lot of feedback this week telling people about unnecessary prologues or epilogues. The prologue on this one was one such case, as there was nothing in there that couldn't be worked into the second part. Indeed, the biggest take away (the revelation of real people with super powers) was adequately addressed with the single sentence about how the word "relatable" had died the world discovered a woman could fly. As far as comic book-esque entries went this week, though, this one was my favorite.

· Rivenblade: A cute little character sketch of a bunch of kids in school, but I didn't find it to be particularly interesting as a story as there wasn't much in the way of conflicts or stakes for everyone involved. Interestingly enough, while I think all my friends had sports cards (myself included, for some completely baffling reason, given that I have a pathological aversion to all things sportsball), I don't think any of ever did any trading or even cared much beyond a cultural expectation that boys of a certain age must collect sports cards. But then Marvel Comics got in on the act, and suddenly you saw a lot more binders full of card sleeves on the playground...

· Dedication Through Light: I have a real, real hard time reconciling a PhD student being dense enough to fall for a variation of the Nigerian Prince scam. I was a bit disappointed by the ending; we spent the entire time we had with Chase and Lester establishing Chase's conflict, only for a practically literal deus ex machina to sweep in and make everything better without costing him anything more than a promise to be a good boy and never do it again. It's like we took a shortcut around the entire story that would have been the resolution of his money issues.

· W=00: Ha, I read yours and actually thought to myself "wait, isn't this what Alfred said?" before reading your spoilered comments. Up until that point, I was actually a bit miffed that it was something so derivative, but in light of your stated objectives in writing it, I guess it's not so bad. If this had been an anonymous submission round, I would have bet large quantities of money that this was by Tangent. It's definitely the sort of thing she would write.

· Xagarath: Okay, just to be 100% sure, the thing they're all discussing but not actually naming is a big pile of horse shit, right? If so, then the dancing around it without actually stating what it was struck me as very strange. If not so, well, you did an excellent job in making me think that they were talking about a big pile of horse shit. The scheme to just move everything over a few feet reminds me of the Full House episode where the girls conspired to hide a hole in Danny's bedroom wall by moving everything in the room over six inches.

· Ashes: I enjoyed this as a sort of reversal/inversion of the story of Job where bad things kept happening to Imtiaz, but just further strengthened his anti-faith each time instead of thanking God for, you know... ruining his life.

· FlowersisBritish: There was a lot of stuff in this that is generally right up my alley. Really, if I had any complaints it would be right around the end where Chiel laments that he was never good at experimentation (which struck me as an odd sentiment when previously we had been privy to the advancements he was making that presumably had not already been done). Mission not knowing how her healing magic worked was both anticlimactic and a bit hard to swallow. She goes around killing magic users, has a clear understanding of how at least some magic works, but doesn't know what's keeping her alive?

· Nezumi: Well, I got an inside peek at the creation process for this one and all that destruction that was wrought in its wake : ) I know neither of us trend to stray too far from the high fantasy/fairy tale trail too often, but hey, in this challenge that just makes it stand out all the more.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I have a real, real hard time reconciling a PhD student being dense enough to fall for a variation of the Nigerian Prince scam.

I haven't read DTL's story, but I just wanted to point out that there are plenty of highly intelligent people who have been caught out by these scams.

My partner's former boss, a podiatrist with four successful clinics, was suckered in to one of these scams and lost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Greed often trumps intelligence.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Votes:

1. Blue Thunder - UCBooties
2. Inferno - adj_noun
3. The Last Hero - John Dunbar
HM: Defenders - Ursus

OP
OP
adj_noun

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TIME'S UP

Results

Rivenblade – 15 (5)
Mike -- 8
UCBooties – 7 (2)
FlowersisBritish – 4 (1)
Nezumi -- 4
W-00 -- 2
John Dunbar – 2
DongsMacabre -- 2
Adj_noun – 2

Congratulations to Rivenblade! Next thread is yours.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not seeing the grace period rule for voting. Only entries.
not only is that what I am seeing
Is the deadline strict?
The previous challenge winner/thread starter is the final arbiter. Typically there is a six hour grace period, after which entries are cut off.
but it also says typically and that you are the final arbiter, so regardless it was your call to call it :P

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Totally didn't expect my story to play well in this challenge because of the hockey nerdery, so thank you and great job everyone! New challenge will be up soon.

Last edited:

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I've started a conversation with weemadarthur to make the thread on my behalf since the forum says I still don't have thread posting priveleges. Maybe I should read an FAQ or something.

If you want to get an early start, the theme will be "bare necessities" and the secondary objective will be "non-human POV."

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Dedication Through Light Chase seemed to get off a bit too easy for my tastes. That said, I thought your descriptive writing skills were pretty good here, but the dialogue came off as too stilted in parts. I liked the basic setup and was hoping for a deeper follow through with the Nigerian princess storyline. Still, this was a neat little slice of life.
Thanks!

A Scam and a Hero by Dedication Through Light: I'm instantly kinda jarred by you typing out how much money it is. It's a small thing since your story has a pretty strong beginning overall at that bank, but you don't really need to do that. Reader's can read, they can count the decimal places. If you wanted to emphasize how much money it is, or that its a suspicious email, there's more better ways to do that, even in parenthesis. Little disappointed at the bank bit being a dream, but I am glad the scam email is the main catalyst of the story, as it's a really fun premise. I think you dance around the debt in a bit too much vagueness (you can just say debt, because the debt isn't the important part deserving a reveal as much as why he's in debt(spending problems (which I super relate too ;_; ))). I really like your ending with the lotto ticket, its pretty cute. Overall, I think this is my favorite story you've brought to the challenges so far, and really enjoyed it. Good job, pat yourself on the back, buy something nice with money you don't have.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Dedication Through Light: I thought the twist with the voice of reason being a gambling addict was genius. Very sweet story overall.
Thank you!.

· Dedication Through Light: I have a real, real hard time reconciling a PhD student being dense enough to fall for a variation of the Nigerian Prince scam. I was a bit disappointed by the ending; we spent the entire time we had with Chase and Lester establishing Chase's conflict, only for a practically literal deus ex machina to sweep in and make everything better without costing him anything more than a promise to be a good boy and never do it again. It's like we took a shortcut around the entire story that would have been the resolution of his money issues.
I get so many emails from campus email about these scams seeking peoples info and apparently lots of professors fall victim to it. Though fortunately, here, Lester was able to help him from actually doing anything.

I wanted to give it a happy ending since in reality, there is usually no other quick way to get out of crushing debt, and probably rarer for a friend into gambling offer up a winning.

Though I did go back and forth about it. Thanks for reading and the comments.