• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
4TNsAFH.png

Theme: Hope

Hope for a the future. Hope for the best. Hope for a loved one's success.
Or hope for an enemy's failure. Hope isn't always sunshine and rainbows.
People need to yearn for something, even if it doesn't directly benefit them.. Think about what that means to you.
Elemental drives like hope make for a wide range of explorable possibilities. At least I hope.

Secondary challenge: Acrostic Poem

In an acrostic poem, the first letter of each line when taken together spells out a word.
For example:

YOUR SOCKS
OR MY SOCKS
UNDERWEAR?

Don't look at the rest of the letters. Just look at the first letters.
A-ha! It spells YOU.
Reasonably your poems will probably be longer than this though. >_>
Even if it's short, I hope you have fun with the concept.

Submission deadline: Friday, January 5th, 2017 at midnight GMT

t1515196500z0.png

Voting deadline: January 8th at midnight GMT

Entry and Voting Rules:

For poets entering:
  • You are allowed one entry based on the theme; and an optional second entry, if it meets the secondary objective.
  • There are no word counts. Interpret the theme as you wish.
  • Poetry must be written during the duration of the thread.
  • If you're a brave soul, there is a 'super secret' optional objective: performing the poem. Don't worry - we will only judge your official entry (the written version). Try it out. Poetry Slams are always cool. ;)
For voters:
  • You can vote even if you haven't posted a poem.
  • Vote for your three favourite poems [+ HM(s).]. But remember that:
    • you can't vote for your self
    • you can't pick two poems from the same author
    • you can't vote for an entry labelled 'ineligible'
  • You cannot win unless you vote.
Competition:
  • The contest runs for two weeks.
  • The deadline is on the last Friday. Once the final entry list is up, the voting begins; it finishes at the end of the weekend.
  • How we count the votes:
    • 1st place is allocated 3 pts; 2nd is allocated 2pts; 3rd is allocated 1pt
    • If there is no outright winner, we add half a point to 1st place, so that the person with the most first place votes win. If we still don't have a winner, we then leave it up to the op to decide how to best go about it; or to choose the outright winner
  • The winner gets a round of applause. They are then in charge of the new thread. If you can't make a new thread, just ask somebody in the current thread, and they might do it for you.
General:
  • This thread is not merely for winning or losing, but for critiquing and improving your own craft.
  • We like to keep the finale on the alternative week to its sister thread: the RE creative writing challenge thread. Every so often, we get interrupted, such as during E3, and/or Nanowrimo.
  • The archives and the op templates were managed by Bootaaay [username under new management]. And then FelixOrion updated it. Please feel free to thank them both profusely.
  • A big thank you to both of them, and everybody else who manages the thread week in and week out. We would be worse off without them.
  • Everybody is welcome to enjoy the poetry on offer, or just vote, or just critique.

For winners:
  • Well done. Give yourself a pat on the back, eat cake without worry and drink your fill. You have our permission. :)
  • You have been added to our lore, but it does not finish there. You get to take the reins of the following thread. Post your thread with this Thread Creation Template. Or ask one of us kindly, and we may oblige to post on your behalf. :)
Thank you, C.B. for the banner

Last edited:

Cyan

Oct 25, 2017
Naiveté

A shard
of the divine spark
rests within me

Sharp
And fragile

It turns my eyes
Bends my thoughts

"What if all those who have ever done you wrong
are just people

Lost
Afraid
Confused
Well-meaning

What if all their bile
their anger
their thoughtless pointless cruelty

Signals only suffering"

The shard sees not malice
but error
Not evil
but pain

Is this transcendence
A glimpse at inverse shadows
the overlaying lattice
of collective connections that bind
in shared experience and hardship

Does the arc of humanity bend towards understanding?

The shard is sharp
And fragile

OP
OP
adj_noun

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fairground

Buffeted
As rain
Lashes shining surface
Leaving damp string dripping
On the world far below
On the weeping child pointing high
Never faltering in that inevitable, inexorable rise

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I'm taking a minute to think about it, boy I don't have a mind for poetry. I kinda want to choose a really long and pretentious word though.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So I am realizing I haven't a clue how to do much to clean up a poem and make it sound better lol. I did at least edit this one a bit. Oh well I have an entry. I guess I will call it

Happy?

I sit alone

Hoping that somehow
One day I will find
Purpose in life
Eventually

Finding nothing
Occupying the
Recesses of my soul

Halfheartedly wishing
A day would come
Pointing me towards joy
Pointing me away from sadness
Instead I only find
Negativity within
Everything I do is meaningless
So why bother anymore
Someday I will know

Sch1sm

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I can't think of a damn thing for this. Blank after blank. Maybe something will come to me during classes over the next week or something. I like the secondary challenge but I may have to just forgo it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a damn thing for this. Blank after blank. Maybe something will come to me during classes over the next week or something. I like the secondary challenge but I may have to just forgo it.
I had that issue with the writing challenge... nothing I liked that I wouldn't just want to save for my main writing stuff. I mean I could just extract a story from my main story to get some writing feedback... as that is what I really need right now @_@

but yeah you could just go meta with it.

write something about how you hope to figure out what you want to write :P

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Mine remains untitled.
To understand the point of the acrostic, one would need to have read that one book.

#entry

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

OP
OP
adj_noun

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whoops, didn't even realize I'd borked this due date too. >_> Poems are actually due today so we don't collide with creative writing.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
Taking a cut of what I was working on. Would've changed it given more time.

The Trash

Total garbage vision
Recruited futures dumping
A pathetic plastic down a
Super deep cola borehole
Hope the hole is deep enough

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Please ignore my terrible title I just came up with. I'm hungry.

Open Avacado Breakfast Sandwich

Lately I've been thinking of you
Of when I cooked new foods for you
Only for you to sum me up as "bland"
Peppered with odd stares at my best friend

But lately I started talking to someone
Rebecca is her name, and she liked that weird sandwich
Only problem is when I think of you, calling me dramatic,
Knowing you still say that even after I caught the two of you together

Every now and then, I don't have that same dream, where we talk
Now sometimes, I dream of something else, and I wake up hungry.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know how to give advice for poetry so I will merely say what ever pops into my head.

1. weemadarthur
2. adj_noun
3. FlowersisBritish

and since they are my votes I will do the feedback for the others first :P
Cyan - Really this is a fine read, In fact based on the read alone it might be my favorite (though really it was hard for me to choose in general) but...
I haven't a clue what a AOR SA IB WA LACW WTT S TBNB IATOI D TA is and I don't know why would would have it spaced and worded as you do unless there is supposed to be a meaning in there @_@ I don't like things I don't understand >.<;

sox - I thought this was fine, but it didn't really speak to me, and I had to look up what a borehole was :P That being said did you mean to reference Kola Superdeep Borehole https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kola_Superdeep_Borehole with the line "Super deep cola borehole" if so, it was to cleaver for me at the time of reading but I would have to give a thumbs up if you meant to do that and talk about how much cola is trash instead.

FlowersisBritish - I like the relationship reference and the clever use of loop broken to talk about a broken loop with still longing for someone that hurt/cheated on you. That being said the combination of Avocados and toast have been meemed to death to me, so I was annoyed just reaching about an avocado sandwich. Had you made it a bacon breakfast sandwich instead I likely would have given you second :P

adj_noun - See I am a bad person, and the idea of a child crying because they didn't hold onto a balloon tight enough is something that brings me joy. I always enjoying watching a balloon float away regardless, drifting away from the shackles that is humanity. *hums 99 red balloons*

weemadarthur - I tend to like meta stuff, so something about the rise of ERA as a poem was fun. Plus I liked your use of the secondary theme.

btw if I sound petty or picky I apologize, but I am just saying what I thought and just didn't think to much about my reasoning and just went with my gut for the rankings lol. Everyone contributed fine work... I think... I mean... poetry is hard to judge @_@

Cyan

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't a clue what a AOR SA IB WA LACW WTT S TBNB IATOI D TA is and I don't know why would would have it spaced and worded as you do unless there is supposed to be a meaning in there @_@ I don't like things I don't understand >.<;
It doesn't mean anything. :P I was inspired to write something by the theme and ignored the optional secondary objective because it didn't interest me. The spacing is purely for feel and rhythm.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
1. Adj
2. Zulux
3. Fleur

Adj nouun, i see your increase of words per line, and I like it.
Zulux, the sound was lovely across lines, you kept the meaning going through the acrostic, very nice.
Sox, i think i'd like to see the whole thing, it sounds like it was really going somewhere.
Cyan, the shard imagery is nice.
Fleur, your poetry is progressing through the stages of grief, and as a group could be a very interesting package.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
1)Wee
2)Zulu
3) Cyan

lowersisBritish - I like the relationship reference and the clever use of loop broken to talk about a broken loop with still longing for someone that hurt/cheated on you. That being said the combination of Avocados and toast have been meemed to death to me, so I was annoyed just reaching about an avocado sandwich. Had you made it a bacon breakfast sandwich instead I likely would have given you second :P

Kay so the sandwich is literally a sandwich I started making with cut up hardboiled egg, avocado, hotsauce, and parmesan. It's pretty good and my current jam.

OP
OP
adj_noun

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Results

1st Place: adj_noun
2nd Place: FlowersisBritish
3rd Place: weemadarthur

Vote Count:

adj_noun 13 (3)