• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
MGS 1 is the only game in the series I haven't beaten yet, so I really want a way to play it.

I have it on my PS3... but I don't wanna play on the PS3

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I really hope these are solid, modern feeling ports. I'd love to have the MGS series on Steam, could replay it easily whenever. I wouldn't actually call myself a huge MGS fan, but there's something really cozy about playing/replaying 1, 2 and 3 one after the other.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If these do end up being the old ports, no one is going to be happy. The MGS2 port barely worked when it was released and still requires fan mod fixes to this day.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017

This. This is the crime right here.

If I can't eat a snake or treefrog, I'm not interested.

metal-gear-solid-3-10-amazing-things-you-can-eat.jpg

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
If the old ports are actually touched up to actually fucking work on modern computers this is really damn exciting news. The PC port of MGS is incredible and the best way to play the game... Provided you get it to actually work properly.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look offc it could be better it was a minimal port, but it work fine on winXP at the time.
Sure a real release 60+ fps ultra wide etc etc etc off course that would be better.

But its not like unplayable.

It was really bad to unplayable for a wide range of setups. In fact, it was so bad that it's still considered by many to be the worst console conversion/port of all time. A quick google search will confirm this.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
It was really bad to unplayable for a wide range of setups. In fact, it was so bad that it's still considered by many to be the worst console conversion/port of all time. A quick google search will confirm this.
I think Saints Row 2 is probably worse.
But this is not the thread to argue how bad something is :P.
Lets celebrate the fact that its coming at all :D

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be too thrilled if they were the old ports. I'd rather use Xbox BC on the HD collection or emulation.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
MGS1 and 2 have PC ports, not great ports, but they are there,
MGS3 and 4 would be more desirable

but a more up to date 1-2 port is also cool if true

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
my expectations with anything Konami are gutter trash low but if MGS 1-3 aren't readily available to play on pc someway into the early 2020s that would be all kinds of sad

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck that. That game is timeless unlike the gamecube version.

It's timeless for you and I. But playing a game from 1998 that is essential to understand the rest of the franchise, that is available at 1080p 60 on multiple platforms, when the first is not, is a barrier for entry. Like it or not. There's a lot of gamers who will not start the MGS franchise because of that or will more egregiously, Not play MGS1 at all and skip to 2.

Even at that, I remaster/remake along the lines of MW1-2 remastered would be perfect.

The campaign could be the same on all /most levels, but the graphical quality upgrades of modern titles.

Same score and VA, same game, next gen graphics. I'd play the fuck out of it, and if it didn't live up to expectation somehow, the original still exists....

Also, Twin Snakes gets more hate than it deserves. It was a pretty solid remake/retelling. Subjectivity of the changes aside. Arguably more interesting to see than what I'm asking for which is just the same game I've played dozens of times with upgraded graphics.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
This is Konami we're talking about. If the rereleases work on modern hardware, I'm already content. Better than them putting an 'effort' and fuck it up like Silent Hill HD collection.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone familiar with how the original PC version of MGS2 handled the pressure-sensitive controls for guns/leaning/pullups? From doing some Googling it seems like they didn't bother coming up with a workaround and you just had to try and play without it.

TheDutchSlayer

Oct 26, 2017
For the folks who have never seen them before:

Just took these photo's myself needed to look for my copies first.
Sadly lost the big box for MGS1 since 1998 but at least I have the cd.

EigLL7dXYAAE02p
EigLL7fWsAEFIUh

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone familiar with how the original PC version of MGS2 handled the pressure-sensitive controls for guns/leaning/pullups? From doing some Googling it seems like they didn't bother coming up with a workaround and you just had to try and play without it.
It didn't. The MGS2 V's Fix (a mod for the PC version) just adds a cancel button for aiming.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know there little chance but i would love if the Japanese audio is included in the re-release.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If these do end up being the old ports, no one is going to be happy. The MGS2 port barely worked when it was released and still requires fan mod fixes to this day.
It'll be probably the old ports re-released with a patch that GOG worked on. That's their entire shtick, to release patches to old games so that they can work on modern PCs and fixing old bugs

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Look offc it could be better it was a minimal port, but it work fine on winXP at the time.
Sure a real release 60+ fps ultra wide etc etc etc off course that would be better.

But its not like unplayable.
With the MGS HD collection existing these wouldn't be the definitive way to play these games. Just putting the old ass barebones port on modern stores.
Which is fine, maybe with the renewed attention the community will make these ports the definitive way to play these games. We just have to wait and see.

TheDutchSlayer

Oct 26, 2017
With the MGS HD collection existing these wouldn't be the definitive way to play these games. Just putting the old ass barebones port on modern stores.
Which is fine, maybe with the renewed attention the community will make these ports the definitive way to play these games. We just have to wait and see.
I would love nothing more but I assume that porting PS3 games to the PC is way more work then re-releasing old PC ports that already exist.

SteveLorde

Sep 14, 2020
Absolutely great news, i hope Konami learns that MGS is a very well liked series and quite profitable.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine these getting remade/remastered by a company, that actually gives a fuck.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Idk i played it on pc and it was fine?
I just remember that keyboard controls were kinda weird so i played it with a controller.

If you have an ATI card back then, there were bugs. Heck if you got a GeForce back then and updated the drivers to the ones that support DX9, you'll have missing codec faces unless you dial the graphics quality down one notch. Also the PC version was based off the Xbox port which was already terrible in itself.