• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I searched to see if there was a thread for this yet, and didn't find one. Apologies if this was already posted.

With Burnout Paradise's recent remaster, someone on reddit noticed that Amazon no longer offers discounts for re-releases and/or remakes.
That means that Amazon won't include the discount for games like Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, and more on the Switch. Don't expect a discount for Dark Souls Remastered on current-gen consoles, either.

I've been using GCU for most of my games for years anyway, but it's pretty disappointing to see Amazon continue to erode that discount on their end. First it was axing the discount on LEs, then making it pre-order only, and now it's just insanely limited.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GCU wins yet again. Amazon prime's discount was good while it lasted.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least you've still got the 20% discount... they removed that in Canada while ago now.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With Amazon rolling their discounts back, it's probably just a matter of time before GCU follows suit. There's no reason for Best Buy to compete so hard any more.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I was know Amazon yesterday looking at Sea of Thieves and Far Cry 5 and I didn't even see the discount on those. Guess I'm going with BestBuy from now on.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Wait what? How is that a thing?
As of right now my app still says the discount exists:

tP6vySk.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck amazon. Seriously fuck them. Between this and the horrible shipment service I get with my Prime membership (fuck AMZL), I am on the verge of cancelling my membership.

Ranmo

Oct 26, 2017
Does GCU supply release date delivery on all pre-orders? Or is that just big titles? I don't have a bestbuy near me so it kinda limits me on switching over.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
With Amazon rolling their discounts back, it's probably just a matter of time before GCU follows suit. There's no reason for Best Buy to compete so hard any more.

But they've always done 20 percent well before Amazon even started at all? It must be worth it to get people into the store if they've had the program essentially unchanged for years outside of GCU not working on black Friday anymore

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Technically GCU did this before amazon ever did any sort of discount, the most they've rolled back on was the crazy amount of games that get that $10 additional credit thing.

Asterix

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
BestBuy GCU is a no brainer. I haven't ordered a game from Amazon in years. I remember the good old days when they gave out $20 promo credits for buying new games like MW2, etc. It was good while it lasted.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gcu is pretty good except when you do in store pickup and they slap that awful sticker on that doesn't peel off. Really sucks for games, Bluray, etc with a slip cover

Simone

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Here in Italy we have a 2€ discount, regardless of the price, for preorders, and in the two weeks following a game release..that is so lame :/

Oct 25, 2017
I'm letting my Amazon Prime lapse.

Just bought GCU yesterday. Paid for itself (at least for year 1) after buying two Switch games.

Pre-ordering it's a losing game anyway. Never liked it. I always used the Prime discount right before it expired after the game came out.

Cousin From Boston

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Nov 21, 2017
GCU stays winning. Plus BB is rolling preorder games into the $10 rewards cert program again. No reason to buy games from Amazon .

Ranmo

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah and it usually comes on release more often than Amazon. Even higher chance it comes in a day or 2 early.
Awesome, thanks. I'll have to keep a lookout on this news. I just checked my pre-order for The World Ends with you, Tropical Freeze, and Hyrule Warriors and they all have the discount. I will keep an eye out in the future and now have a good alternative I may just entirely switch over to. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.