• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
0000.jpg

Playstation UK Magazine Christmas 2018 Issue had a coverage for Resident Evil 2 Remake titled with " 50 reasons why this is the hottest game on PS4 " , Inside it there was a Q&A with the game producers's Hirabayashi and Kanda one of the questions was whether Capcom will remake other games after Resident Evil 2 or not

OPM : Which game in the series would you like to remake after Resident Evil 2 ?

Hirabayashi : I don't have room for anything in my head other than Resident Evil 2 at the moment

Kanda : I think It would be interesting to provide Over-the-shoulder versions of our fixed camera games , but for the time being my priority is making Resident Evil 2 a success

Last edited:

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
No, fixed camera angles is a lost art. It helps create and establish very specific moods. Just think of how iconic and mood-setting the camera work in Silent Hill 1's prologue was.

Fixed camera angles were unfortunately made extinct by the push to openworld and less linear games. Now over-the-shoulder is such a boring and trite convention that makes almost all games look similar from a visual-aesthetic perspective.

I miss fixed camera angles :'-(

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Hopefully they'll do 3 (aka my favorite Resi) this gen

Mostly just so that 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,CV,R1+R2 are all available at once in the same place

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Dino Crisis and Resi 3 next please.

This should kill all hope for people who wanted fixed ones as a game mode in Remake 2.

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
No, fixed camera angles is a lost art. It helps create and establish very specific moods. Just think of how iconic and mood-setting the camera work in Silent Hill 1's prologue was.

Fixed camera angles were unfortunately made extinct by the push to openworld and less linear games. Now over-the-shoulder is such a boring and trite convention that makes almost all games look similar from a visual-aesthetic perspective.

They suck for action games imo. I hate tank controls and the camera relative barely work as you walk between scenes

Neoshockwave

Oct 28, 2017
Nemesis tearing up the restaurant in OTS would be pretty bad-ass, especially if there was some sort of sneaking mechanic.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Onimusha? OTS melee action would be cool. That's what Deep Down ws about, and I was hyped for that reason!

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin

Word

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017

Silent Hill already showed (on PS1!) that you can use both types of cameras in the same game with amazing results. Fixed cameras are great to create atmosphere but simply suck for action parts. Mixing the two styles is the right way to go.

Oct 27, 2017
You know what else would be interesting: new games.

If you're gonna spend millions of dollars in a RE game with photorealistic graphics please make new ones at least

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
Imagine how cool if they were to give a fixed camera option for the 3d remakes. Would probably break the new game somehow though.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm fine with doing OTS remakes but yes I think fixed-camera remakes should still be done at some point; before or after.

J.Devesh

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

If you're gonna spend millions of dollars in a RE game with photorealistic graphics please make new ones at least
Silent Hill already showed (on PS1!) that you can use both types of cameras in the same game with amazing results. Fixed cameras are great to create atmosphere but simply suck for action parts. Mixing the two styles is the right way to go.
From that point of view, Silent Hill 2 and 3 are the best examples of what you are saying. Amaging games, amazing atmosphere!

Also, they allow to not use tank controls and the result is again amazing.

May 18, 2018
Personally, I wish there was an option to play RE2 Remake in the old style too (but with the upgraded graphics - maybe as an unlock after you complete the game or even from the start).

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all should have options for both. Feels weird thinking you have a style like REmake and then a different style like REmake 2.

You're gonna see a divide yet again in this series, wanting REmake 2 to be like REmake 1, and now REmake 1 to be like REmake 2. And this will most assuredly apply to any of the mainline, pre-RE4 games.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no... What have you done Kanda, you've inadvertently opened pandora's box.

Edit: oh, I thought he said that it'd be interesting to provide fixed camera angles to OTS RE games, we dodged a bullet right there.

Last edited:

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Hmmm i wonder if you could have the nemesis similar to alien isolation where he is running round an open world raccoon city as a radiant ai could tjat work i wonder

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017

It also hinders visibility and aiming in combat.

I'm replaying Resident Evil 0 right now and inventory system aside loving it. The camera angles really add to the atmosphere but they hinder some of the actual gameplay. So I'm a bit 50/50 about it.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I can honestly see them remaking the first one again before going on to 3 or CV

This should kill all hope for people who wanted fixed ones as a game mode in Remake 2.
I still think this is possible via DLC, I just don't think it will be very good if it wasn't designed for this angle from the ground up.

We got a really fucking good new RE game last year, they really are pleasing everyone here more or less.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The funny thing is fixed camera and tank controls were just caused probably to the limits of the past hardware. By the way I'm not totally against fixed camera if it's like Uncharted and it's used to create mood in some points. But all the time? That's awful to use as today, especially in the shooting sequences

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
The funny thing is fixed camera and tank controls were just caused probably to the limits of the past hardware. By the way I'm not totally against fixed camera if it's like Uncharted and it's use to create mood in some points. But all the time? That's awful to use as today, especially in the shooting sequences
Yea, every boss fight basically boils down to running from one side of a room to another and hoping the auto-aim is working, then it's a case of unloading as much ammo as you can before you run out of healing items. It is not fun.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Yea, every boss fight basically boils down to running from one side of a room to another and hoping the auto-aim is working, then it's a case of unloading as much ammo as you can before you run out of healing items. It is not fun.

Not every game is supposed to be some action game. Granted I love action games but the old RE games had their place and they were classics. The more people are into video game the more that genre changes and it is not right. So what they are hardware limitation that doesn't make it bad it just different.

You guys never complain about 2D fighters but here you guys are with turn-based RPG and old RE games. It is more about surviving. Stop wanting games to be like everything else.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Not every game is supposed to be some action game. Granted I love action games but the old RE games had their place and they were classics. The more people are into video game the more that genre changes and it is not right. So what they are hardware limitation that doesn't make it bad it just different.

You guys never complain about 2D fighters but here you guys are with turn-based RPG and old RE games. It is more about surviving. Stop wanting games to be like everything else.
This is a bit extreme.

I love the old RE games, I never had a problem with tank controls, but I think fully 3D games are more effective for horror and I want to see my favourite horror series in this detail.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've heard and read and watched a lot of arguments in favor of fixed camera angles, and I think they objectively make sense, but I've always found playing actual fixed camera games to be less than the sum of their parts. They can create very memorable shots because you control exactly what the player is meant to see. I think those merits are worth speaking to. But I also think the restrictions they can bring regarding movement and combat are not worth the trade off depending on the kind of game you want to make.

It's hard to imagine the shooting systems as they currently exist in virtually any over the shoulder game working properly or correctly in a fixed camera format. If any game is series is going to experiment with selective camera angles again, I would prefer them design a combat system from the ground up.

I think a lock on system that let you selectively target fixed points on an enemy would be interesting. Hold L to lock on to the center point of an enemy. Then use the right stick in one of five directions (sort of like a star shape: head, left arm, right arm, left leg, right leg) and press R2 to fire. If you hold R1 you'll switch your lock on from one enemy to another enemy, which you can aid directionally with the right stick. The gunplay is digital, not analog, but with lots of options of where to shoot.

The star-shape pinpoint system would always be player relative. So whether the enemy is facing the camera or facing away from the camera you would always aim to your right or your left. This would allow a shooter to have dynamic gunplay with enemy weakpoints that could also be relatively fast-moving and strategic. You could quickly shoot a bunch of enemies in the leg, slowing their pace. You could shoot a bunch of enemies in weakpoints on their shoulders. You could aim for the center of the enemy with powerful weapons like a shotgun for maximum damage, or you could aim for the head with weak weapons to make the most of your shot. The lock on system ensures the aiming is easy and because the aiming is player-relative it's not hindered by the fixed camera.

But I don't think any major studio will truly go back to or experiment with fixed camera angles any time soon - or even again, for that matter. That's something I'd like the indie space to catch up to.