• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I would categorize Lone Echo as an 'experience', it's basically just a series of mundane puzzles, a light form of point and click (and one of the most overhyped VR games alongside Farpoint).
Budget Cuts I haven't had time to play yet outside of the demo, I hear opinions about the full game are mixed.

Is it the game itself you don't like or did you have issues with tracking or something, As Farpoint is top tier,Works with AIM/DS4, it has co-op, PvP, Weapon progression, Body tracking, Visually the best around. Story wise is weak but it's sci-fi.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Yea RE7 VR was another level of immersion for me. After playing for an hour or so and opening and looking into a virtual fridge, I decided to take a break and get something to drink. When I opened my fridge in real life it was kind of the same angle I was standing as in VR and suddenly there was a little short-circuit happening in my brain.

Is this real? Yes, it is real.

Felt weird.

Murdamonk

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought a Rift and had a chance to set it up and try VR for the first time yesterday (not counting my experience with the GearVR).

First game that i tried was Gun club VR... And I love it. I love how it felt to hold a gun and recharge it. Took me some times to get used to the motion, though.

Then i tried Robot Recall.. The first part when you reach out and grab a robot and tear his head's off was simply amazing.

Tried Gunheart because i heard it was like Destiny in VR. Got nausea because of the locomotion. It was cool but I am not sure I will be able to finish the game.

Then I tried Batman VR... To see yourself in the mirror as Batman was awesome.

Probably will try Skyrim VR and Marvel today.

I am like OP and am totally sold on this tech and can't wait for the next phase of VR with foveated rendering and wireless headset.

I have a few questions and hope that you guys can help me with.. Is the TPCast worth it or should I wait for something better? Is the RivVR cancelled? And how is RE7 with Vorpx compared to the RE7 VR on the ps4?

Thanks

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
I'll say it again -- increasing resolution will not solve screen door effect. Further, you can increase resolution and still increase screen door effect in the center of the image by manipulating the pixel density as calculated in VR incorrectly.

Yes, it will solve screen door effect. We will come back to this archived post to laugh when 4K screens hugely lessen SDE and 8K screens all but eliminate it.

When you hit 16K per eye the pixels will be so small that there will be ZERO perceived screen door effect. You aren't going to increase screen door effect, when the whole idea is that you can see the space between pixels.

YOU CAN'T SEE THE SPACE BETWEEN 16K PER EYE PIXELS. Resolution wins. The more resolution you have the smaller those spaces inherently become next to each other considering the same display size.

A display is a fixed device. A pixel gets smaller and smaller with more resolution in the same display space. The space between your pixels can only get smaller as you reduce the size of each bordering pixel. Of course the lens and VR tech will stretch and distort a display to make it look like a real world to you. That doesn't have anything to do with the original display though, which is the main problem.

1920×1200 (WUXGA)

15.4 0.173 146.8
17 0.191 132.9
23 0.258 98.4
24 0.270 94.0
25.5 0.287 88.5
27 0.303 83.8

3840×2400 (WQUXGA)

22.2 0.125 203.2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_pitch

According to this article the display size is directly related to the dot pitch, the second number there. Bigger display bigger dot pitch for one resolution. The PPI inversely proportional to the display size. This is exactly what I said before. These are facts man, you can't argue against these things.

As you can see the PPI increases hugely with resolution, and the dot pitch basically does as well depending on display size once again.

The one graph you posted was an incredibly poor example detailing a 64 bit screen and an 8 bit screen. But why would the pixels have that much space between them on only one screen? That does not make any sense if we are using the same technologies and displays, but one just has more resolution. I am going to trust a heavily edited and approved Wikipedia article and my own senses here, considering you did actually just admit a few posts back that resolution solves SDE in the center of the screen.

Your idea also fails when one takes into account 16K screens. You literally cannot see the space between pixels on a 16K screen, you cannot even see the pixels. And that is because they are too small. You can barely see them on a large 4K screen much less a small screen.

Last edited:

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Is it the game itself you don't like or did you have issues with tracking or something, As Farpoint is top tier,Works with AIM/DS4, it has co-op, PvP, Weapon progression, Body tracking, Visually the best around. Story wise is weak but it's sci-fi.
I will admit the Aim controller did sour my Farpoint experience somewhat. I did try all the camera adjustments to have it work fine (having it high is the 'general' fix) but there will always be a point where occlusion is a problem with enemies arriving from 180degrees vertically/horizontally as you aim down the sights (with the PSVR and Aim controller being tracked optically and then overlapping). I had to finish the game holding the gun at near hip-height.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I haven't played RE7 yet. I want my first time to be in VR.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a few questions and hope that you guys can help me with.. Is the TPCast worth it or should I wait for something better? Is the RivVR cancelled? And how is RE7 with Vorpx compared to the RE7 VR on the ps4?

Hold off til the official solutions come out. TPCast is fidgety, it's really something more intended for hobbyists. For one, it doesn't work out of the box. To get it working correctly, you have to use open source 3rd party software, and open the unit up and do some (super simple) modding. The bundled software has numerous hardware and software-related problems. It's also really annoying switching between the rift and vive, which both use TPCast at my place. It works, and that's amazing, being untethered is a great feeling. But it's not really for general consumption yet. When the official HTC and Oculus solutions come out either later this year or next year, they'll be worth the wait.

I wouldn't trust something like RevVR that doesn't have custom hardware for video transmission.

Normally, VorpX provided pretty poor imitations of VR experiences, but the actual VR implementation in RE7 isn't really that great, so VorpX feels remarkably similar. I'd say skip VorpX and RE7 and instead do the Alien Isolation mod. A bit more info:

No, the VR support was very deep and well integrated. For a game like alien isolation, which devotes an unusual amount of controller support to neck and head controls, VR support was actually easy to integrate. The trick is the game does some great skeletal rigging for the upper body, which wound up being the type of work you naturally need to do to map a VR headset. So the game works well. The mechanics of the game also expect to accomodate your head's mobility -- things can "see" you poke out of corners, or miss you when you're visibly obscured, and tapping your upper body on objects in the game causes noise which gives your position away. So it was always a great game for VR, and the VR support was good.

The problem is it was built with the Oculus runtime 0.5, this was the early DK2 runtime. After the game was released, Oculus released the 1.3 runtime, which completely broke compatibility with older builds. It was a necessary step towards releasing a consumer headset and commercial runtime. However, that release came after the game had already shipped, and the devs were never allowed to rebuild the game for the new runtime. Thus, all commercial consumer headsets are incompatible with the game, and can't run the correct runtime.

To the person who asked how to re-enable support, someone built a mod that wraps the old runtime around the new runtime, essentially a translation layer. This winds up working just as well as the original VR support, except now it works with the modern headsets. It's still a WIP, but works well enough to be playable.

Regarding the original release needing the ini file change to enable VR support -- that's right, even though VR support was baked into Alien Isolation and deeply integrated, and even shown off before release, it was never considered an official feature. This is because the runtimes for the VR headsets at launch were considered beta runtimes, not fit for commerical products. So Sega never treated it like an official feature. So it couldn't be enabled in-game, in-menu. But rather, you had to enable it from the config file.

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
I will admit the Aim controller did sour my Farpoint experience somewhat. I did try all the camera adjustments to have it work fine (having it high is the 'general' fix) but there will always be a point where occlusion is a problem with enemies arriving from 180degrees vertically/horizontally as you aim down the sights (with the PSVR and Aim controller being tracked optically and then overlapping). I had to finish the game holding the gun at near hip-height.

Farpoint also had really bad sensitivity options for movement. RE7 was much much better in that regard. I never tried the aim controllers.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017

That's fair enough, The AIM does have some issues but we didn't end up fixing the shaking. It does work well with the DS4 too, Fully fracked so tilting the pad tilts the gun kinda thing and shooting rockets while moving the pad directs them. Be interesting how Gunheart/Seeking Dawn/Evasion work with the AIM in comparison to Farpoint.

Roll on touch controllers though for PSVR!

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why isn't RE7 VR out for PC yet? Even if it isn't optimized for better tracking, i would like to play it.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Also as great as RE7 is in VR, The End of Zoe and Not a hero DLC were nowhere near as good as the main game, They went all action which doesn't bode well for RE8. Hopefully wrong though as horror in VR works so well together.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Look, I'm not really even a big RE fan anymore, and I was not really expecting much, but the first 1/3 of the game is probably up there with the coolest moments I have ever had in gaming.

It was mesmerizing entering this place, and the first time I had to swim through that water OMG man it was literally fear I think. While the adventure levels off a bit and becomes more of a "game" later on, I am not really sure anything has terrified me as much as the first parts of this game segueing into the chase sequences with Jack, and ending with the iconic garage fight.

I went straight to Madhouse and it lit me up old school-like. I do some parts on my Pro just to see the graphics normally, and then when I know I can have some fun I switch to VR for the rest of the game. But I will never forget my first experience there.

It's up there with Zelda, Super Mario 64, Warhawk, Blood Omen, Shining Force 2, Katamari Damacy, Contra, Ico, and a couple others to me as games that changed my outlook on videogames. Honestly, while VR has a way to go, some of the experiences I have had in Bound, Wipeout, and RE7 are just not matched by anything else on my PC or PS4.

VR is going to fucking level people in 10 years. Guaranteed. What are some of your favorite experiences that convinced you VR was here to stay? Doesn't matter what kind of VR, anything you want to share is fine.

And this is exactly why VR will be the future. I had the same feeling you did when I first tried VR back in 2015. This is the next level, 2D, 3D and now VR. Have you tried WipEout VR?

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
...Lone Echo is pretty much the poster boy for what a built-for-VR game with a budget can be currently.
Yeah, I kinda ruined a big chunk of the current VR catalogue by making Lone Echo one of the first games I tried.

Most of the pancake games with VR modes shoehorned in just feel so unsatisfying. I dropped something on the floor, why can't I reach down and pick it up? Why do I have to open a menu to change weapon? All of this stuff starts to seem clunky when you feel like your hands are in the game.

That's not to say it isn't cool to try Skyrim or whatever in VR, but I really hope more people get to experience what it can offer when games are designed for VR from the ground up.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I recently finished RE7 in VR and while I don't think it's the god tier game that many affirmed it to be I can't deny the impact that virtual reality had in my experience. It really felt like the game was developed from the ground up for VR, from the jump scares to the camera angles everything felt perfect.

I recently picked up Skyrim VR, a game that was first released about 10 years ago that I never felt the urge to play just for the VR experience, I hope it doesn't disapoint.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
I know what you say, and again I prefer a controller with RE7.
You will see in the future that 60-70% of gamers will prefer couch VR gaming.
Room scale will never be mainstream, even if psvr2 will have the best room scale and tracking in the world.

i agree. i truly love VR, but i dont always want to jump around and play with motion controls.. most of the time its more fun and relaxing to just slump down on the couch with a pad in hand, while my head is inside the game :)

Oct 25, 2017
VR for me is like the jump to Mario 64.

The first VR I did was the shootout in PSVR.

I swear ON MY FUCKING LIFE, I forgot I was at the mall where I was testing it. I legit though for a few seconds I was in the van, shooting.

VR isn't perfect. It has a looooooooong way too go, but for me, it feels like the future. I feel like I am actually IN that world.

But right now, the cost has to come down dramatically. The cost to entry is still way too damn high. And VR needs better hardware, at least on PS4. Also, wireless.

Damn, lots of things that still need to be improved for sure.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
hot lapping laguna seca in pcars and having a much better sense of what the car was doing and where it is on the track. oh, and those amazing hills and elevation changes!

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For me, what takes VR to the next level is the hand presence/6 DOF. Using natural actions, motions with your body to do things in game as you'd expect them (Even better with inverse kinematics) is the experience that really sells VR for me.

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
I want to water my 50 acre lawn. You recommend taking a water hose and spraying it directly into the air, that'll solve my problem. I say that doing that will only water the dead center of my lawn, and the rest of the lawn will still have big problems. You say "See! You just admitted my solution will water your lawn!" and think you have a point.

You said, many times:

All your posts have indicated a belief that screen door effect will be solved by a resolution increase. This is objectively wrong. You can solve screen door effect today, without increasing the resolution. And further, merely increasing the resolution would not solve the problem. It is not the resolution of the display causing the screen door effect, and thus it is not the resolution that needs adjusting. It's the pixel density, as in the pixel density as calculated for VR.

I'm still waiting for you to defend this line of reasoning you have provoked in my thread. Your analogy up there is completely botched and pointless. I pretty much laid out bare facts on dot pitch and PPI, which you so far have not even begun to tear apart because you can't. They are facts.

Resolution is the clear guiding factor in reducing SDE. Not the only factor, but the main factor. I find it ever so slightly annoying you made all those posts saying resolution has nothing to do with it, and then finally said oh yeah it will actually make the SDE better in dead center, which is also not right, as the SDE will become naturally better EVERYWHERE as the pixels get smaller and smaller.

You literally went from saying resolution has nothing to do with SDE, to now making ridiculously insipid analogies about garden hoses that suit your opinion as you continue to move goalposts.

That comparison you laid out of 64 pixels and 8 pixels was also illogical because it was too simplistic. Yes, lenses and auxiliary features can and will improve how the image is projected, but when the display stays the same the resolution must be increased for more detail. You cannot get truly photorealistic environments unless you can completely fool the eye. This is going to take at least 8K per eye by most opinions considering decent eyes. Have you seen an 8K display at 6-10 inches? Do you have any idea on the dot pitch of an 8K display?

That is not how modern displays work within each manufacturer in any traditional sense. On the same amount of space, pixels do not suddenly get ridiculously larger distances between each other. It's the exact opposite. As pixels shrink, the space between them gets smaller and smaller. If you cannot see the pixel, you sure as heck cannot see the space between pixels lol.

Resolution will make the SDE better on every facet of the experience. Why? Because pixels shrink and so along with shrinking pixels you have less edge per pixel in the same space. I actually called up one of my tech professors at the U and he completely agrees with me as well. Resolution and display size determine PPI. Overall PPI is the main factor in reducing SDE, and it EXACTLY is made from RESOLUTION AND DISPLAY SIZE. PIXEL PITCH is the only other factor in this regard, and it too gets smaller and smaller in general.

Pixel density increases with resolution. You can't walk around this. Pixel Density is literally the PPI of your display, and it controls everything you want to do with that display. It doesn't matter that optics will distort your display, you are still working with a contained amount of pixels, which is ultimately where the detail comes from. It does not matter that VR auxiliary tech calculates things differently, as you are still working with a FIXED DISPLAY. If you have one million pixels, and then another with 16 million pixels, you aren't going to have better dot pitch on the 1m display LOL. This is where your argument completely falls apart.

You talked a lot about the spaces between pixels, and used a lot of technical rhetoric to confuse people, but in the end resolution is still king when it comes to any display.

The space between pixels... can not be seen by sight on a 16K per eye screen if the display is small enough. I don't think it is possible. Your SDE is gone. What changed if the optics stayed the same, the display size stayed the same, you just shoved millions and millions more pixels into the space? That would make the pixels smaller, hence it would make the dot pitch smaller, hence the space between pixels somehow MAGICALLY got smaller. This logically disproves your claim completely, thoroughly, and it is not even up for debate as far as I am concerned.

You called my response objectively wrong, while also now admitting that--before resolution had nothing to do with SDE--it does in fact affect the "dead center." No, it affects the entire screen. You are wrong, and I don't trust your opinion on this matter, especially because you are trying to sell poor logic to me, someone versed in logic. It's weird you are calling any of these responses objectively wrong. Show me the literature, because your opinion is flip-flopping, and you stand on shaky ground.

You claim to have credentials and claim to be an expert in the field. But you simply have not proven that even slightly in this thread. In fact, your entire post history in this thread is ludicrous. That does not mean you are not an expert, it just means you are seriously confused in this thread.

1st Claim: Resolution has nothing to do with SDE

2nd Claim: Resolution will improve the dead center area of the display

Random Claim: Pixel Density is one of the most important factors in reducing SDE

The first two claims do not match. The third claim is completely redundant as Pixel Density inherently is connected to resolution. Not arguable.

Furthermore, dot pitch gets better and better with increased resolution per display size. This is factual. At 16K per eye resolution will have made the pixels so small you cannot see anything including a screen door on a VR device. Fact. The limits of the eye are around 16K. What happened to your SDE? It must have been the optics!

"It is not the resolution of the display causing the screen door effect, and thus it is not the resolution that needs adjusting."

This is a factually wrong statement. Not only are you rude, this is an embarrassing post you made. You honestly cannot believe anything you just wrote. What are your credentials? No one that knew anything about display devices would make such a silly claim. The screen door effect is absolutely, literally, the space between pixels, which is minimized and mitigated with higher resolutions on the same size of display. Anyone familiar with dot pitch knows this.

The Sharp Aquos 8K LC-70X500 has a dot pitch of .2018mm! But oh you say that display further down has better dot pitch. The Sharp is 70 inches large. And it almost has better dot pitch than a 17 inch 1920x1200 display LMAO. So much for resolution not helping SDE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_pitch

1920×1200 (WUXGA)

Size Dot Pitch PPI
15.4 0.173 146.8
17 0.191 132.9
23 0.258 98.4
24 0.270 94.0
25.5 0.287 88.5
27 0.303 83.8

3840×2400 (WQUXGA)

22.2 0.125 203.2

Last edited:

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
RE7 VR is the greatest gaming experience of this gen for me. An absolute masterclass.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
My gf and I want to get the vive (she wants it mainly because of tilt brush), I really hope they'll port RE7 VR to PC soon, I wanna shit my pants....

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
RE7 is good but I prefer Farpoint with Aim Controller. WipEout is my second favorite followed by RE7. Cant wait to try Moss.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Hands down the best VR title.

The only ones that compete for me are the (limited) GT Sport VR and Wipeout VR

Some other nice ones like Battlezone and RIGS I think were well done too. Farpoint is awesome actually too. There's some other newer PS VR ones I want to try as well.

The next one I think that will really blow minds is Ace Combat.

Japan leading the AAA VR title submissions, awesome stuff by Capcom and Namco

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
Love the game in PSVR. I have only played it in VR twice and all of the VR compatible DLC. It's a great game and I'm thinking of playing it again in VR on Madhouse as I got the upgrades with the two previous runs.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. With that fucker koolaid man's his way through the wall in the kitchen scene. KRIST!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Some other nice ones like Battlezone and RIGS I think were well done too. Farpoint is awesome actually too. There's some other newer PS VR ones I want to try as well.

The next one I think that will really blow minds is Ace Combat.

Japan leading the AAA VR title submissions, awesome stuff by Capcom and Namco

Do you own any PCVR games?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Tried on other PCs not my own, not as impressed with what I've played or with the lineups besides with better IQ.

Ok! Surprised you wouldn't put Superhot VR, Lone Echo, Wilson's Heart, Raw Data, Project Car's/Dirt Rally or Robo Recall even in the same ballpark as something lame like the GT Sport VR time trial mode/1v1 AI races. Have you tried Moss? Any good?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It could've done the same for Pc VR if there was not money for exclusivity involved.

The exclusivity has been expired for months. It's honestly possible that if Sony hadn't funded the VR mode in the first place there would have not been VR, hence why they might not want to use funds to do it on PC. That's my guess.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The exclusivity has been expired for months. It's honestly possible that if Sony hadn't funded the VR mode in the first place there would have not been VR, hence why they might not want to use funds to do it on PC. That's my guess.

Yeah I think it was 12 months exclusive on PSVR. That's what it said at launch. I guess they just don't think it's worth the resources to port the VR stuff. No idea how much time/money that would take - I'm no developer. Game has been out for 18 months now. Maybe questioning how many extra sales it'd get. As an Oculus user with RE7 on Steam I'm obviously in the camp who wants it!

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018

Yeah, or maybe it is a long period where they cannot sell on Steam. It could always come later, which is better than never.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It was exclusive to PSVR for 12 months.

1353333.jpg

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Ok! Surprised you wouldn't put Superhot VR, Lone Echo, Wilson's Heart, Raw Data, Project Car's/Dirt Rally or Robo Recall even in the same ballpark as something lame like the GT Sport VR time trial mode/1v1 AI races. Have you tried Moss? Any good?
Is this a stealth brag reply I don't understand. I didn't like the ones I played, PCars was one of them, Superhot also.

I didn't play all of these, thanks.

Really nothing I played including anything on PS VR on Pro came close to RE7 on VR, neither on PC. RE7 was a legit step above the crop and still feels like that. Even Farpoint I wouldn't consider in the same league as RE7 and Farpoint is one of the better PS VR titles, same with RIGS as far as controls (not popularity).

RE7 plays great in regular FPS but CAPCOM made the VR so well that it also feels like it was made specifically for VR. I'm not sure if you played it yet, but if you didn't yet I highly recommend it. Nothing on VR has felt as well done as this for me, it's the "killer app" of VR out of any games I've played.

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
Is this a stealth brag reply I don't understand. I didn't like the ones I played, PCars was one of them, Superhot also.

Really nothing I played including anything on PS VR on Pro came close to RE7 on VR, neither on PC. RE7 was a legit step above the crop and still feels like that. Even Farpoint I wouldn't consider in the same league as RE7 and Farpoint is one of the better PS VR titles, same with RIGS as far as controls (not popularity).

RE7 plays great in regular FPS but CAPCOM made the VR so well that it also feels like it was made specifically for VR. I'm not sure if you played it yet, but if you didn't yet I highly recommend it. Nothing on VR has felt as well done as this for me, it's the "killer app" of VR out of any games I've played.

Right now I don't even think everyone will be comfortable and positive about VR, so no your response is not bad, and this is not a stealth brag thread. It's just a thread to appreciate a new way of gaming as some very cool games have been released this year and the last.

People are surely free to discuss the negative aspects they have. Hell, half of this thread was that meandering BS about screen door effect, which is something that does make people uncomfortable. If we have learned anything from this thread it is that screen door is not going away until we hit some pretty large resolutions, and that will take TONS of processing power, which no one really has atm. And to me it is easily the worst part about VR. The low resolution graphics and displays are just not totally convincing. But they are good enough for a good jaunt into the best games now and then. At times it can really be stunning, and I am a graphics enthusiast that is pretty picky about image quality.

Though foveated rendering and other techniques will improve graphical fidelity, I don't expect the masses to be blown away for 5-10 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
Also, anybody played Statik? I was having a lot of fun with that game. Everyone recommends Moss, how long is that game, and overall is it worth 30 bucks?

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Also, anybody played Statik? I was having a lot of fun with that game. Everyone recommends Moss, how long is that game, and overall is it worth 30 bucks?

I beat Statik, good times. Moss is good but not as innovative, very cute, bit more traditional. Either way, it's just what I was looking for, and what I enjoyed about RE7: an immersive VR game that I can play sitting on my ass and using a controller.
PSVR is perfect for these. Move is PSVR's weakness, but I have little interest in any of the iterations on the long, bumpy road of hand and body tracking. It's gonna be a long time before they have that down.

But if you just want I-am-there immersion, i.e. good head tracking for sit-down games in VR, PSVR is all you need. And RE7 is indeed king.
Skyrim VR is also a good sit-on-my-ass and get-immersed-with-a-controller game for PSVR, OP!

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Lets hope they stick with VR for RE8...So much they can do with this tech and the engine they built for RE7. Imagine a PS5/PSVR2 RE8 aswell with the processing power and resolution. All in all i would say all the VR games available now on the PSVR/PCVR... Resident Evil 7 is still the best experience you can have and show off to people. Won't ever forget the beginning hour demo getting the VR update and as soon as it started you was in that room, It felt so real and something surreal that it was a game you was inside of. Special mention too the sound of RE7 aswell, Adds so much too the immersion.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

No no, not a stealth brag. Don't take it as that, it wasn't intended to be. Just surprised to see you miss out so many games that are both critically acclaimed and generally considered by VR gamers to be some of the best VR titles. I thought the consensus was that the VR mode in GT Sport was awful, that was all!

Was just surprised that the only other games that compete with RE7 was GT Sport and Wipeout. Wondered if it was because you might not've played anything outside of the PSVR library (which is quite a limited selection of VR stuff in the grand scheme of things - both quantity wise and technologically). Sounds like you've tried others though and just prefer those PSVR games. That's cool!

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
On topic...

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I received RE7 as a Christmas gift last year, but put off playing it because I wasn't eager to get into a VR survival horror game. Started playing a few weeks ago and it's one of the most incredible gaming experiences I've ever had.

I get that there are "higher quality" VR experiences out there, in terms of graphics, tracking, and other technical aspects. But the game itself, and the experience it provides on PSVR, is in my top ten of all time.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
No no, not a stealth brag. Don't take it as that, it wasn't intended to be. Just surprised to see you miss out so many games that are both critically acclaimed and generally considered by VR gamers to be some of the best VR titles. I thought the consensus was that the VR mode in GT Sport was awful, that was all!

Was just surprised that the only other games that compete with RE7 was GT Sport and Wipeout. Wondered if it was because you might not've played anything outside of the PSVR library (which is quite a limited selection of VR stuff in the grand scheme of things - both quantity wise and technologically). Sounds like you've tried others though and just prefer those PSVR games. That's cool!
The GT Sport one sucks because of limited content, but the driving VR experience itself is very good, that's what I meant to talk about, sorry did not make clear. I don't mind because I don't play VR often and it's a nice showcase. Added depth is really awesome for the GT experience. It is limited to 1 v 1 I believe and Time trial and only certain tracks I think also. I think pretty much any cars though.

Wipeout VR is a tack on to the game but it just feels really good and organic and being able to look around in loops really changes how it feels, it actually feels slower and more easy to respond to turns because of the added dimension it's quite cool.

Farpoint is nice with the enemy design and variety, pretty challenging, though did give me some headaches and nausea for playing too much, I do better with the track racing like in GT or Wipeout.

I don't have really any preference of PS VR titles, RE7 regardless is just an awesome standout title, not anything to do with platform, CAPCOM just knocked it out of the park. I played it when it first came out like that and a bunch of people were over to try it near that time too and everyone was just blown away, we tried some other titles too but nothing came close to RE7 experience, just really awesome. I really hope they port it to PC for the VR mode. It's really incredible.