• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 17, 2018
Look, I'm not really even a big RE fan anymore, and I was not really expecting much, but the first 1/3 of the game is probably up there with the coolest moments I have ever had in gaming.

It was mesmerizing entering this place, and the first time I had to swim through that water OMG man it was literally fear I think. While the adventure levels off a bit and becomes more of a "game" later on, I am not really sure anything has terrified me as much as the first parts of this game segueing into the chase sequences with Jack, and ending with the iconic garage fight.

I went straight to Madhouse and it lit me up old school-like. I do some parts on my Pro just to see the graphics normally, and then when I know I can have some fun I switch to VR for the rest of the game. But I will never forget my first experience there.

It's up there with Zelda, Super Mario 64, Warhawk, Blood Omen, Shining Force 2, Katamari Damacy, Contra, Ico, and a couple others to me as games that changed my outlook on videogames. Honestly, while VR has a way to go, some of the experiences I have had in Bound, Wipeout, and RE7 are just not matched by anything else on my PC or PS4.

VR is going to fucking level people in 10 years. Guaranteed. What are some of your favorite experiences that convinced you VR was here to stay? Doesn't matter what kind of VR, anything you want to share is fine.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First, welcome to VR.

If you got a chance, check out LA Noire VR. Driving in an breathing, open world in VR is an undescribe-able next level of awesome.

Also

Oct 27, 2017
I want to try this at some point, but I'll wait for an hypothetical psvr2. Played the original and it looked like it was tailored specifically for VR. With this I mean some moments didn't work as well in 2D and the game didn't feel all that special, but you could see how certain scenes would work much better in VR

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The first game that I played and sold me on VR was Battlezone on PSVR at Eurogamers EGX show, just before PSVR came out, that was the moment I fell in love with VR and made me glad I had pre-ordered a PSVR. The sense of immersion, actually being inside a videogame, was a "holy shit, this is like Tron" moment for me.

Yeah RE7 is genuinely one of the best and terrifying gaming experiences I've ever had. That first section outside the house, your thinking, oh this is pretty cool but getting to the house and looking through the first door into pitch black and knowing you have to walk inside, is a big nope moment lol

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
It could've done the same for Pc VR if there was not money for exclusivity involved.

I agree. The more power you give this game the better. I cannot even imagine how COOL this game would be with graphics like Pro normal levels. Holy heck that is the point where VR gets amazing when it looks like a top end PC or console right now.

The first game that I played and sold me on VR was Battlezone on PSVR at Eurogamers EGX show, just before PSVR came out, that was the moment I fell in love with VR and made me glad I had pre-ordered a PSVR. The sense of immersion, actually being inside a videogame, was a "holy shit, this is like Tron" moment for me.

Yeah RE7 is genuinely one of the best and terrifying gaming experiences I've ever had. That first section outside the house, your thinking, oh this is pretty cool but getting to the house and looking through the first door into pitch black and knowing you have to walk inside, is a big nope moment lol

Ha, yeah I have a friend who could not even get through this on normal mode for his xbox lol. Just doesn't do horror games really. In VR there are parts of this game that are mesmerizing in their intensity. Madhouse difficulty is also amazing.

I will have to check this game out. I have been getting a lot of new games and no time to play them all. But I still like supporting VR games regardless.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Playing RE7 in VR while shareplaying it so my friend could watch was the best gaming experience I have had since the ps1 days.

It was truly a moment of this VR gaming thing is so far ahead of flat TV gaming. As now even with Skyrim/Wipeout.... Playing them in VR and then again on the TV afterwards is impossible.

It's like there real life memories, like you was there running from Jack. You're there shooting arrows at a dragon in Skyrim, you and a friend are on a distant planet shooting bugs and aliens in Farpoint.

And this is only the first gen on VR!

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly up there. I love having those VR revelatory moments, from the 'big' like OP has described to the small such as:

- The first descent in Ocean Descent
- The intro song to I Expect You To Die
- Looking in the mirror as Batman in Arkham VR
- Being Neo/John Wick in Superhot VR
- The first rollercoaster hump in Rush of Blood

It's massively exciting to think what VR will look like in just a few years time.

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
Playing RE7 in VR while shareplaying it so my friend could watch was the best gaming experience I have had since the ps1 days.

It was truly a moment of this VR gaming thing is so far ahead of flat TV gaming. As now even with Skyrim/Wipeout.... Playing them in VR and then again on the TV afterwards is impossible.

It's like there real life memories, like you was there running from Jack. You're there shooting arrows at a dragon in Skyrim, you and a friend are on a distant planet shooting bugs and aliens in Farpoint.

And this is only the first gen on VR!

I know right. The very infancy, and it is still amazing. That whole scenario with Jack was incredible leading up to the garage. Just gaming done purely for thrills. I never thought I would see an RE game get so ballsy again. I was wrong. Even the script for the game isn't too bad. It does get a little weird as it progresses for sure, but certain moments are impeccable.

I do also like the clarity of normal mode. If we had 4K per eye this game would blow the world apart.

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
It's certainly up there. I love having those VR revelatory moments, from the 'big' like OP has described to the small such as:

- The first descent in Ocean Descent
- The intro song to I Expect You To Die
- Looking in the mirror as Batman in Arkham VR
- Being Neo/John Wick in Superhot VR
- The first rollercoaster hump in Rush of Blood

It's massively exciting to think what VR will look like in just a few years time.

I agree. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that third person could work in Bound. It's really a beautiful game too and another great experience with VR. It also looks really good.

I plan on letting my younger nephew do the shark dive haha. That was pretty cool.

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
Speaking of cool games I have not played, has anyone tried Rec Room? I keep hearing good things about it. It seems to get patched a lot so I pushed it off the play list for now. It's free too lol.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just mentioned this (to you ironically!) in the Order 1886 thread but, seriously, Lone Echo/Echo Arena. It's absolute next level stuff. Has the 360/room scale immersion but also brings in a locomotion solution that just works and feels absolutely natural and amazing. I always struggle with first person VR games that still involve an analogue stick for movement. Lone Echo solved that and you move around the entire environment using your arms and hands in 3D space. It's unreal.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE7 is, truthfully, a pretty rote VR experience. Not trying to quell OP's enthusiasm, because it is indeed a pretty good first taste of VR, but it's not a game really built for VR. No limb tracking, entirely dependent on artificial locomotion, no room scale, only a forward facing 180 degree experience, etc. It really doesn't do much more than Alien Isolation did way back on the DK2 4 years ago. Its like you just got a taste of the N64 from Shadows of the Empire -- might be mind blowing coming from the SNES, but there is so much more to see.

Built for VR experiences are much, much more. If RE7 in VR blew you away, you should try your hardest to try some games that have full, deep VR integration. In terms of VR control, nothing comes close to budget cuts currently, but if it's awesome graphics that pull you in, Lone Echo is pretty much the poster boy for what a built-for-VR game with a budget can be currently.

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
Just mentioned this (to you ironically!) in the Order 1886 thread but, seriously, Lone Echo/Echo Arena. It's absolute next level stuff. Has the 360/room scale immersion but also brings in a locomotion solution that just works and feels absolutely natural and amazing. I always struggle with first person VR games that still involve an analogue stick for movement. Lone Echo solved that and you move around the entire environment using your arms and hands in 3D space. It's unreal.

I will check this out when I get a set for my PC. Kinda waiting on a 4K set.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I will add that the VR X-Wing mission in Battlefront was my watershed moment on this platform.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Similarly, OP, if you really like what RE7 has to offer, and you have a PC and can get your hands on a VR headset there, try Alien Isolation. It's very much the same style game, even played with a gamepad. Unlike RE7, however, Alien Isolation has a full neck model rigged to the headset's position, so your head can move around and make noise in the game. It's actually part of the gameplay mechanic.

Absolutely terrifying game.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Onward (fps military sim) on PCVR gets my blood pumping like no other. If the graphics were more convincing I feel like it could give me a light form of PTSD.

I wonder if anyone has had a heart attack from VR yet.

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
RE7 is, truthfully, a pretty rote VR experience. Not trying to quell OP's enthusiasm, because it is indeed a pretty good first taste of VR, but it's not a game really built for VR. No limb tracking, entirely dependent on artificial locomotion, no room scale, only a forward facing 180 degree experience, etc. It really doesn't do much more than Alien Isolation did way back on the DK2 4 years ago. Its like you just got a taste of the N64 from Shadows of the Empire -- might be mind blowing coming from the SNES, but there is so much more to see.

Built for VR experiences are much, much more. If RE7 in VR blew you away, you should try your hardest to try some games that have full, deep VR integration. In terms of VR control, nothing comes close to budget cuts currently, but if it's awesome graphics that pull you in, Lone Echo is pretty much the poster boy for what a built-for-VR game with a budget can be currently.

I have games like RIGS and Sprint Vector, which are pretty much built for VR. Farsight I played a bit. I have played quite a few VR games. I agree that RE7 VR is pretty early, but in truth it's more of an adaptation for VR with fairly decent controls. I think at least it has some decent options for smooth controls.

I am not going to say it is perfect or anything, but what I am talking about is mostly that it's a very faithful experience, and people are fairly satisfied to see a really cool horror game come to life. Could it be better? Sure, but it's still easily one of the top experiences in VR for me, and that is not going to change because of limb tracking or anything. I mean I aim with my head it's not going to be super duper immersive in that way, which I agree with you on the early period description, but it still does what it needs to do IMO. It provides a one of a kind adventure into a mansion full of crazy people. And the script is not even that bad.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
What are some of your favorite experiences that convinced you VR was here to stay? Doesn't matter what kind of VR, anything you want to share is fine.

Wipeout VR is my favorite PSVR title.
Really well done, very good and clean graphics (with the pro), lot of content and the best thing : It plays wonderful :D

Other great titles are imo Moss, Rez Infinite, Farpoint, The Persistence, Statik, Skyrim VR, Sprint Vector, Polybius.

And for the rest of the year are coming some promising titles like Firewall (in a few days), Astro Bot, Torn (also in a few days), Xing: The Land Beyond, Beat Saber, hopefully Blood & Truth, Tetris Effect, Seeking Dawn, Transference...

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have games like RIGS and Sprint Vector, which are pretty much built for VR. Farsight I played a bit. I have played quite a few VR games. I agree that RE7 VR is pretty early, but in truth it's more of an adaptation for VR with fairly decent controls. I think at least it has some decent options for smooth controls.

Those games are closer to what I'm talking about, but there is still a gulf between them and, say, Lone Echo. The limitations I'm speaking about are, essentially, inherent to PSVR. It's not so much that the hardware can't handle the types of experiences I'm talking about (although holding roomscale tracking with a single camera on the PS4 would be maddening), but rather because developers can't go all in on, for example, 1:1 motion controls because there isn't the expectation that everybody would have a move, or even that move can track with great precision.

Lone Echo is pretty much the height of what home VR is, though, so it's not like many other games come close to what it does. Again, I'm not trying to diminish what you're experiencing, I'm agreeing with you -- if you're this blown away by PSVR, you'll be happy to know that things get way, way better. The next version of PSVR should be pretty awesome, because quite a lot has evolved on the PC side of things since PSVR released.

Sure, but it's still easily one of the top experiences in VR for me, and that is not going to change because of limb tracking or anything.

I can pretty much guarantee you that your expectations will indeed change once you get a game with really awesome 1:1 motion controls. It's as big of a step up from using a traditional controller, as going from a conventional TV to going to VR is in general. It's an enormous game changer.

I mean I aim with my head it's not going to be super duper immersive in that way, which I agree with you on the early period description, but it still does what it needs to do IMO. It provides a one of a kind adventure into a mansion full of crazy people. And the script is not even that bad.

This is pretty much what I'm talking about. Games like RE7 need to make caveats to work because PSVR didn't ship with Move Controllers in all bundles. I'd expect the next PSVR on PS5 to really go in with motion controls, make them a standard part of the experience, which should let you decouple gaze from aim. Doing that is really, really awesome. Games like Lone Echo really rely on your ability to independently track both hands and your gaze.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Batman descending to the cave and the ending
RE7 the first time in the house
Robot rescue ( I was wow like ''this is the next mario 64 moment'')
Skyrim Vr with air-condition on. I always believe that I feeling the actual weather of the game. lol

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Played it on a friends PS4 since i don't have PSVR, it's pretty damn good & lives up to the hype for sure, i was a tiny bit sad REmake 2 wasn't FPS because i wouldn't mind another horror VR experience, but i know if REmake 2 was FPS only people would have cried heresy.
Anyway i hope Sega make Alien Isolation 2 with VR or port Isolation to VR, why they haven't is crazy, it would sell a ton on PSVR & Steam.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I played and finished Resident Evil 7 first in VR. It's GOTY 2017 for me. Then the VR update for Star Wars Battlefront came and became the 2nd best VR experience for me. I have yet to try Skyrim VR.

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
I've also discovered that VR produces really cool 3D experiences with Disney and Pixar films among the other animated features I have. I can see PSVR would be really amazing with a 4K OLED. It's the only downside for me right now. The screen door can get a bit annoying on solid colors. I cannot wait to ditch this in favor of a true 4K set.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Played it on a friends PS4 since i don't have PSVR, it's pretty damn good & lives up to the hype for sure, i was a tiny bit sad REmake 2 wasn't FPS because i wouldn't mind another horror VR experience, but i know if REmake 2 was FPS only people would have cried heresy.
Anyway i hope Sega make Alien Isolation 2 with VR or port Isolation to VR, why they haven't is crazy, it would sell a ton on PSVR & Steam.

The Persistence is also a great horror game and reminds me a bit on Alien Isolation.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can pretty much guarantee you that your expectations will indeed change once you get a game with really awesome 1:1 motion controls. It's as big of a step up from using a traditional controller, as going from a conventional TV to going to VR is in general. It's an enormous game changer.

There are many games that use 1:1 motion controls in PSVR, so we know how it works. I think that RE7 is better with a regular controller.

In the long term, I suppose that convenience will be preferred (by many) over standing, room-scale, vigorous movements etc.
I agree with you that it is more immersive though.

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
Those games are closer to what I'm talking about, but there is still a gulf between them and, say, Lone Echo. The limitations I'm speaking about are, essentially, inherent to PSVR. It's not so much that the hardware can't handle the types of experiences I'm talking about (although holding roomscale tracking with a single camera on the PS4 would be maddening), but rather because developers can't go all in on, for example, 1:1 motion controls because there isn't the expectation that everybody would have a move, or even that move can track with great precision.

Lone Echo is pretty much the height of what home VR is, though, so it's not like many other games come close to what it does. Again, I'm not trying to diminish what you're experiencing, I'm agreeing with you -- if you're this blown away by PSVR, you'll be happy to know that things get way, way better. The next version of PSVR should be pretty awesome, because quite a lot has evolved on the PC side of things since PSVR released.

This is pretty much what I'm talking about. Games like RE7 need to make caveats to work because PSVR didn't ship with Move Controllers in all bundles. I'd expect the next PSVR on PS5 to really go in with motion controls, make them a standard part of the experience, which should let you decouple gaze from aim. Doing that is really, really awesome. Games like Lone Echo really rely on your ability to independently track both hands and your gaze.

Yeah for sure I don't disagree on your points. RE7 was just the first experience I had along with Bound that really grabbed me. Of course I have to look past all the deficiencies, just as I did back then with older games on older less refined hardware. I can only imagine when the 4k sets hit it will be something to shout about as the next iteration as you allude to will have the full package even on consoles.

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
There are many games that use 1:1 motion controls in PSVR, so we know how it works. I think that RE7 is better with a regular controller.

In the long term, I suppose that convenience will be preferred (by many) over standing, room-scale, vigorous movements etc.
I agree with you that it is more immersive though.

I play RE7 with a controller, and on Madhouse I am not sure I would want something else unless it were really accurate. But as for shooting yeah shooting with the head sucks balls at times lol.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I don't mean to discredit OP's opinion but I feel like this is a case of Dance Dance Revolution or Wii Sports back in their days.

it's a revelation when you play it and it feels like a life changing experience in terms of how you play video games but after the hype has cooled down, it barely amounts to anything, people just move on and continue sitting on their couch with a controller on their hands.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't mean to discredit OP's opinion but I feel like this is a case of Dance Dance Revolution or Wii Sports back in their days.

you talk about motion controls which is only a part of VR.
VR is 90% about presence and if we have in VR the same crispness as the flat gaming, this can't be boring. Because it's just better to be present. Even if you sitting as a statue in your chair without any movement, its still way better.

Now in its infancy, it has many problems but I can't see how it would be ignored in the future.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

As someone with 9 VR headsets, trust me when I say that nothing on the PSVR approaches the kind of tracking I'm talking about. It's just something different that you won't understand until you try it. Even games on PSVR that are built to work with the move, still are merely forward facing 180 degree experiences that occlude. I'm talking about persistent, un-occluded, full roomscale 1:1 tracking.

I probably sound like a broken record talking about lone echo and budget cuts, but really, those are the only two games I'd say fully take advantage of the type of tracking I'm talking about. You just completely lose yourself in your room when you play those games. You go all over the room, and it enables you to do stuff in terms of gameplay that just aren't possible without full roomscale tracking. There are parts of budget cuts where it honestly felt like I was operating an enormous, complex machine with lots of levers and handles. The entire locomotion scheme in Lone Echo really isn't possible with the Move.

In terms of how it all works, the PSVR's tracking is most similar to the Oculus Rift DK2. Things can only get better. Roomscale and more robust tracking isn't just a gimmick, it can deeply affect how a game operates. Of course, you'd probably expect there to be a difference in tracking, considering the wide gulf in price from when these headsets all launched. That's why I can't wait for the next PSVR. Improved tracking (and more powerful hardware) will really improve the VR experience. I often compare 2014's VR to the Super FX chip on the SNES -- gives you a taste, but next generation should be the main attraction. I really can't wait.

All that aside -- if you guys want a really good taste of what motion controls can do for a title, I hope everyone ITT checks out Dreams when it launches. What motion controls can do for UI is one of the most exciting aspects of VR.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing this right now and feeling like I'm missing out on VR. Budget is too tight and no I know has one.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah for sure I don't disagree on your points. RE7 was just the first experience I had along with Bound that really grabbed me. Of course I have to look past all the deficiencies, just as I did back then with older games on older less refined hardware. I can only imagine when the 4k sets hit it will be something to shout about as the next iteration as you allude to will have the full package even on consoles.

I don't actually think it'll be 4K sets like you imagine that will ultimately give you what you want. I think, more likely, the next big upgrade for VR headsets won't be the resolution of the screens (at least probably not to the degree you're imagining) but rather the inclusion of eye tracking technology. This will be a major, major game changer. Eye tracking technology will allow much less powerful hardware to pump out VR visuals on par with non-VR games, because it'll allow for dynamic resolutions where only the portion of the screen you are looking at will be rendered with clarity, with the rest of the scene being rendered in much lower resolution. Big, 4K screens without foveated rendering would stress bandwidth to the headset itself. The goal is to get everything wireless and drop system requirements. Eye tracking tech would do much more to improve the visual quality of VR than merely a higher resolution screen.

StarVR just announced the first consumer headset with eyetracking technology a few days ago. Hopefully the tech adopts quickly enough to be in the next PSVR. I'm fairly certain the next major headsets will all be wireless, too.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Eye tracking technology will allow much less powerful hardware to pump out VR visuals on par with non-VR games, because it'll allow for dynamic resolutions where only the portion of the screen you are looking at will be rendered with clarity, with the rest of the scene being rendered in much lower resolution.

That sounds good :)

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
I don't actually think it'll be 4K sets like you imagine that will ultimately give you what you want. I think, more likely, the next big upgrade for VR headsets won't be the resolution of the screens (at least probably not to the degree you're imagining) but rather the inclusion of eye tracking technology. This will be a major, major game changer. Eye tracking technology will allow much less powerful hardware to pump out VR visuals on par with non-VR games, because it'll allow for dynamic resolutions where only the portion of the screen you are looking at will be rendered with clarity, with the rest of the scene being rendered in much lower resolution. Big, 4K screens without foveated rendering would stress bandwidth to the headset itself. The goal is to get everything wireless and drop system requirements. Eye tracking tech would do much more to improve the visual quality of VR than merely a higher resolution screen.

StarVR just announced the first consumer headset with eyetracking technology a few days ago. Hopefully the tech adopts quickly enough to be in the next PSVR. I'm fairly certain the next major headsets will all be wireless, too.

I think this only works to a certain point. Eye tracking will not eliminate the screen door, which is my main complaint atm. Eye tracking of course will enhance development, but things like foveated rendering at some point will not even need to be used. More like performance enhancements. 4K to me is the major deal for me buying any new set. I'm not jumping into anything unless it is 4K specifically because I feel that is the point where the screen door will not be annoying for me.

Of course eye tracking and such will be awesome, but right now I really just want the screen door to go away.

The goal is to get everything wireless? Surely not the in short term when pushing the sets to the limit I would think. We haven't even begun to see true immersion, which comes with 4k per eye and up. I would never disregard resolution. It's by far the most important factor besides the games themselves. I'm not sure that is arguable in any context even up to 8K per eye and over. More resolution means more potential for realism and immersion in my mind.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

it's a revelation when you play it and it feels like a life changing experience in terms of how you play video games but after the hype has cooled down, it barely amounts to anything, people just move on and continue sitting on their couch with a controller on their hands.

People might go back to sitting on their couch with a controller in hand, but less likely because they cooled on VR, and more likely because games like RE7 or Alien Isolation or other similarly big budgeted games in VR aren't the norm. Part of the reason people rave about RE7 in VR is that is one of the very few games with a clearly huge budget behind it. If there was more content in VR with large budgets, I very much doubt people would cool on it like you're saying.

It's not really at all like DDR or Wii Sports. People ITT are all on RE7 because it's a meaty type of game, the likes of which they normally play without VR. You can't really play DDR or Wii Sports without their specific control mechanisms, where RE7, even without VR, is still a pretty good game.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this only works to a certain point. Eye tracking will not eliminate the screen door, which is my main complaint atm. Eye tracking of course will enhance development, but things like foveated rendering at some point will not even need to be used. More like performance enhancements. 4K sets to me is the major deal for me buying any new set. I'm not jumping into anything unless it is 4K specifically because I feel that is the point where the screen door will not be annoying for me.

The screen door effect has nothing to do with resolution. Screen door is a combination of optics, the subpixel scatter of the display type, and the pixel density of the display type. The Screen Door effect can be just as pronounced with a high resolution screen, or less pronounced on a low resolution screen.

Foveated rendering is not something that will ever "not be needed." It's not a band aid. It's a type of technology whose utility will always be relevant to these types of screens. Dynamic multi-resolution screen benefits have been discussed for decades, they just have never been viable because screens need to be shared. VR enables the promise of foveated rendering. Foveated rendering is something that'll make a modest computer able to display graphics leaps and bounds better than what it can on a conventional screen.

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As someone with 9 VR headsets, trust me when I say that nothing on the PSVR approaches the kind of tracking I'm talking about. It's just something different that you won't understand until you try it. Even games on PSVR that are built to work with the move, still are merely forward facing 180 degree experiences that occlude. I'm talking about persistent, un-occluded, full roomscale 1:1 tracking.

I probably sound like a broken record talking about lone echo and budget cuts, but really, those are the only two games I'd say fully take advantage of the type of tracking I'm talking about. You just completely lose yourself in your room when you play those games. You go all over the room, and it enables you to do stuff in terms of gameplay that just aren't possible without full roomscale tracking. There are parts of budget cuts where it honestly felt like I was operating an enormous, complex machine with lots of levers and handles. The entire locomotion scheme in Lone Echo really isn't possible with the Move.

In terms of how it all works, the PSVR's tracking is most similar to the Oculus Rift DK2. Things can only get better. Roomscale and more robust tracking isn't just a gimmick, it can deeply affect how a game operates. Of course, you'd probably expect there to be a difference in tracking, considering the wide gulf in price from when these headsets all launched. That's why I can't wait for the next PSVR. Improved tracking (and more powerful hardware) will really improve the VR experience. I often compare 2014's VR to the Super FX chip on the SNES -- gives you a taste, but next generation should be the main attraction. I really can't wait.

All that aside -- if you guys want a really good taste of what motion controls can do for a title, I hope everyone ITT checks out Dreams when it launches. What motion controls can do for UI is one of the most exciting aspects of VR.
I know what you say, and again I prefer a controller with RE7.
You will see in the future that 60-70% of gamers will prefer couch VR gaming.
Room scale will never be mainstream, even if psvr2 will have the best room scale and tracking in the world.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Oh man, I'd have to say the first "wow" moments I had were years ago, not including arcade VR in the late 90s/early 00s. I was put into Half Life 2 with my view controlled by my head, which was neat. Then it got real, as I stepped into a mixed reality session to try Fantastic Contraption and Tilt Brush (prior to release). It was so nice to see how far the technology had come even then.

Since that, and aside from playing F-Zero GX in VR via emulation, I've had some really "whoa" moments in RIGS, Driveclub VR (my first taste of PSVR, actually), WipEout, RE7, Skyrim VR, Batman, X-Wing mission, and Super Hot VR. Just the variety of ways I could enjoy games I had played before, and try new experiences like "being" Batman, or being Neo vs. red crystal people was fascinating.

Active VR is also really fun - Sprint Vector, Knockout League, Beat Saber, To the Top - good times! And they can be small workouts if you go hard for a good hour or so (be sure to keep your HMDs clean)

Playing this right now and feeling like I'm missing out on VR. Budget is too tight and no I know has one.
Where are you from?

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
The screen door effect has nothing to do with resolution. Screen door is a combination of optics, the subpixel scatter of the display type, and the pixel density of the display type. The Screen Door effect can be just as pronounced with a high resolution screen, or less pronounced on a low resolution screen.

Foveated rendering is not something that will ever "not be needed." It's not a band aid. It's a type of technology whose utility will always be relevant to these types of screens. Dynamic multi-resolution screen benefits have been discussed for decades, they just have never been viable because screens need to be shared. VR enables the promise of foveated rendering. Foveated rendering is something that'll make a modest computer able to display graphics leaps and bounds better than what it can on a conventional screen.

Screen door has nothing to do with resolution? This is logically false.

Resolution itself is the factor that determines potential pixel density in a given space. It is notable that developers themselves refer to resolution straight up when talking about SDE and how it will truly end with 16K per eye: https://forums.oculusvr.com/communi...-everyone-dealing-with-the-screen-door-effect

You quote pixel density and then say it has nothing to do with resolution, which is the most preposterous statement I have read in a day or two. Pixel density and resolution are very much related.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_density

Notice the word resolution in the first sentence.

OP
OP
potentialtodisplease
Mar 17, 2018
I know what you say, and again I prefer a controller with RE7.
You will see in the future that 60-70% of gamers will prefer couch VR gaming.
Room scale will never be mainstream, even if psvr2 will have the best room scale and tracking in the world.

I agree. It takes way too much movement and force to do it for most people. This has to be something people do after work, not because they are wealthy and don't work.

I am very much in shape, but games like Sprint Vector can easily tire me out after an hour.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The goal is to get everything wireless? Surely not the in short term when pushing the sets to the limit I would think.

You're not keeping up, then. I have 5 wireless headsets currently. My rift and vive both have wireless adapters. Both have native wireless adapters coming out. Looking at the next Oculus Rift headset, Crescent Bay, is an all-in-one wireless headset. The Vive Focus can do wireless streaming from SteamVR. Every major VR headset manufacturer has announced their intentions to move towards wireless technologies, with several either already having been released or nearing release. Sony is the exception, precisely because info about the next PSVR is sparse.

We haven't even begun to see true immersion, which comes with 4k per eye and up. I would never disregard resolution. It's by far the most important factor besides the games themselves. I'm not sure that is arguable in any context even up to 8K per eye and over. More resolution means more potential for realism and immersion in my mind.

Actually, we have. There are already headsets out there with resolutions higher than this, and people on this board have given their hands on impressions. They are running into precisely the problem I am describing. We flat out don't have the technologies to run these types of displays in VR yet. Foveated rendering will come first, because it will specifically enable such high resolution screens to be viable for modest, consumer-ready hardware.

Tracking is far more important to VR than resolution.