• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NEW AVENGERS
by Jonathan Hickman & Steve Epting
INFINITY
by Jonathan Hickman, Jim Cheung, Jerome Opena & Dustin Weaver

giphy.gif

Give me them incursions

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Some damn good stories on there but for all the praise Ultron Unlimited gets I found it pretty boring. And I first read Infinity Gauntlet two or three years ago and it has not aged super well.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Some great reads in there.
I might revisit some of those when the game comes out. I never touched that Doctor Strange series, it sounds fun. I'll skip the Bendis stuff and Shadowland though.
I highly recommend Inhumans.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I feel this is a tease
drsdamnationcctpb.jpg

Since Blade, Moonknight and Ghost Rider were all in the original mua and there's a lot of good Dr Strange runs they could have picked

Also if we're going with comic Ultron that means we need some form of Pym playable XD

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Black Order is GAAAAARBAGE do not read that LMFAO

Remender X-Force, Wolverine & The X-Men arge good options

But they said Shadowland tho

Oct 25, 2017
DnA GotG and Remender X-Force :chefkiss:
I feel this is a tease
drsdamnationcctpb.jpg

Since Blade, Moonknight and Ghost Rider were all in the original mua and there's a lot of good Dr Strange runs they could have picked

Also if we're going with comic Ultron that means we need some form of Pym playable XD
A shame Moon Knight is completely out of character in Damnation. Scarlet Spider and Elsa were great though.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There are some good comics in that run. And some not so good.

(No Fantastic Four, huh?)

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Avengers Assemble is probably the worst thing that Bendis has written in his life, do not waste time.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
It bothers me that they say Hickman's New Avengers but not Hickman's Avengers.

They are intrinsically tied.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I mean these are all teamups and major arcs we could see mirrored or referenced in the game. Kamala hasn't been in a ton of those yet. Also wasn't Carol in the original infinity gauntlet?
Kamala has at least been on All New All Different Avengers and in Champions. If we had to say to read a team Champions would fit the bill for character familiarity only.

Carol had a super brief cameo in Infinity War and that was back when she was Ms Marvel in her black outfit with the lightning bolt (or whatever you want to call it). It was also not exactly the best time frame to learn about her anyway.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've got a bad feeling the story in this game's gonna be garbage, but this gives me a little hope.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Makes me think F4 will be dlc. No mention of their stories.
Not really, why would they recommend reading about characters they haven't announced? In fact there could be a tease here in the form of Hickman's new avengers as Mr Fantastic is in that run and Hickman did multiple great fantastic four stories

I've got a bad feeling the story in this game's gonna be garbage, but this gives me a little hope.
Why do you think that? There's an actual Marvel Writer/editor writing the story that Team Ninja requested as they knew they couldn't do the story justice. The little bit we know teases the story going across the marvel universe too

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Adds to reading list, though recommending Spider-Verse on its own is pretty bad as new readers are going to be lost.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
WHOA Shadowland and Doctor Strange Damnation are in the recommended readings?! My hype for this game just skyrocketed. Moon Knight is all but confirmed now since he's in both of these runs. Hopefully Ghost Rider and Blade join the roster too considering they were playable in the original.

If they do make the cut, I'd love to see these teams make it in the final game:

Midnight Sons: Blade, Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Doctor Strange
Defenders: Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Doctor Strange (already in the game)
Marvel Knights: Daredevil, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Black Widow
Secret Avengers: Moon Knight, Ant-Man, Captain America, Black Widow
Mighty Avengers: Blade, Falcon, Captain Marvel, Black Widow
West Coast Avengers: Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Wasp, Vision
New Avengers: Ghost Rider, Blade, Black Panther, Captain Marvel
Split Minds: Venom, Moon Knight, Hulk, Deadpool
Swordsmen: Blade, Gamora, Deadpool, Elektra
Back-Alley Brawlers: Daredevil, Moon Knight, Spider-Man, Iron Fist
Mystical Masters: Doctor Strange, Scarlet Witch, Moon Knight, Iron Fist

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think that? There's an actual Marvel Writer/editor writing the story that Team Ninja requested as they knew they couldn't do the story justice. The little bit we know teases the story going across the marvel universe too

Every cutscene they've shown has seemed really static. From the looks of them I expect the story to just be a series of encounters all shot in pretty much the same way. Stuff like against the backdrop of the stage, "Nebula, I didn't expect you here ect. ect." - "Gamora, you will die here and now ect. ect." - gameplay starts - rinse and repeat. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but that's just the impression I've gotten so far. The only scene I've seen that seemed somewhat dynamic was a brief glimpse of Surtur rising up against Thor.

If the writing is like extremely good then it could still work even with a layout like that, but it would have to reallllly good.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Every cutscene they've shown has seemed really static. From the looks of them I expect the story to just be a series of encounters all shot in pretty much the same way. Stuff like against the backdrop of the stage, "Nebula, I didn't expect you here ect. ect." - "Gamora, you will die here and now ect. ect." - gameplay starts - rinse and repeat. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but that's just the impression I've gotten so far. The only scene I've seen that seemed somewhat dynamic was a brief glimpse of Surtur rising up against Thor.

If the writing is like extremely good then it could still work even with a layout like that, but it would have to reallllly good.
We've seen like a minutes worth of cutscenes at most from the first two chapters mainly. We have nowhere near enough to judge

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We've seen like a minutes worth of cutscenes at most from the first two chapters mainly. We have nowhere near enough to judge

There's just something about them that seem like something like fighting game cut scenes or something. Not like MK cut scenes, more like Street Fighter ones. Like they're forcing the characters to work in them. And usually that doesn't turn out that well. But I would love to be wrong. And as long is the gameplay is sustainable and fun, that'll do it for me.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
There's just something about them that seem like something like fighting game cut scenes or something. Not like MK cut scenes, more like Street Fighter ones. Like they're forcing the characters to work in them. And usually that doesn't turn out that well. But I would love to be wrong. And as long is the gameplay is sustainable and fun, that'll do it for me.

To be fair, the original MUA and its sequel were similar in that aspect. Each act consisted of you roaming area to area, fighting some baddies in each area, and then a short cutscene between the area boss, then you'd fight the area boss, move to the next section, solve a quick puzzle, fight some more baddies, then the next area boss, move to the next area and then you'd fight the sequence boss/act boss. Once you beat the act boss you'd get a rendered cutscene that closes off that sequence and preps the next act which would then rinse and repeat the above.

It was a very simple gameplay loop and it worked really well. MUA2 tried to spice things up with branched paths that encouraged replay, but it was no where near as memorable or epic as the first one, that game was terrible. My favorite part about the gameplay loop though is having specific members on your team that get exclusive dialogue with their respective villains - i.e. if you have Spider-Man on your team in the first MUA, when you encounter the area boss Green Goblin, Spidey gets unique dialogue with him. Similarly, when you encounter the area boss Bullseye, Daredevil gets unique dialogue with him. I hope they keep this aspect in MUA3, i.e. Fighting Nebula with the GotG (or 1 member of the GotG) changes the dialogue you have with her vs having any other set of 4.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
To be fair, the original MUA and its sequel were similar in that aspect. Each act consisted of you roaming area to area, fighting some baddies in each area, and then a short cutscene between the area boss, then you'd fight the area boss, move to the next section, solve a quick puzzle, fight some more baddies, then the next area boss, move to the next area and then you'd fight the sequence boss/act boss. Once you beat the act boss you'd get a rendered cutscene that closes off that sequence and preps the next act which would then rinse and repeat the above.

It was a very simple gameplay loop and it worked really well. MUA2 tried to spice things up with branched paths that encouraged replay, but it was no where near as memorable or epic as the first one, that game was terrible. My favorite part about the gameplay loop though is having specific members on your team that get exclusive dialogue with their respective villains - i.e. if you have Spider-Man on your team in the first MUA, when you encounter the area boss Green Goblin, Spidey gets unique dialogue with him. Similarly, when you encounter the area boss Bullseye, Daredevil gets unique dialogue with him. I hope they keep this aspect in MUA3, i.e. Fighting Nebula with the GotG (or 1 member of the GotG) changes the dialogue you have with her vs having any other set of 4.
We have confirmation that in battle dialog gets changed with Kamala at the Ronan battle asking should I know who this guy is.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah true, I mean it's been a long time since I've played the games. But definable what I remembered the least from both of them was the story. I wasn't expecting some amazing story in UA3, I just hope it's not indicative of the overall quality. So far the environments haven't given me a ton of hope either. UA1 environments I remember being pretty shit too (UA2 I remember being a bit better), but at least if I remember right they were fairly open ended. They felt kind of expansive, even if they also were pretty flat. Most of the environments I've seen in UA3 have still stayed flat, but all seem really contained. I'm just worried that along with the style of cutscenes is gonna make the game feel I guess.....small? I dunno. Pretty hard game to judge without getting my hands on it. Same with the originals.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah true, I mean it's been a long time since I've played the games. But definable what I remembered the least from both of them was the story. I wasn't expecting some amazing story in UA3, I just hope it's not indicative of the overall quality. So far the environments haven't given me a ton of hope either. UA1 environments I remember being pretty shit too (UA2 I remember being a bit better), but at least if I remember right they were fairly open ended. They felt kind of expansive, even if they also were pretty flat. Most of the environments I've seen in UA3 have still stayed flat, but all seem really contained. I'm just worried that along with the style of cutscenes is gonna make the game feel I guess.....small? I dunno. Pretty hard game to judge without getting my hands on it. Same with the originals.
Again we've mainly seen 2/3 levels and a majority of the footage is from the first miniboss(Nebula) which is an arena and infinity trials. I imagine we'll see the entirety of the first 2/3 story levels at e3 in the treehouse but they are trying to keep the story under wraps overall

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California

My biggest concern with environments is that they need to be varied enough and designed well enough where we can actually use the mobility abilities of characters properly. For example, Vent areas where only Spider-Man, Miles, Ghost-Spider, and Venom can crawl through, high ledges where Spider-verse characters, Daredevil, all flyers, Deadpool and Nightcrawler can only access, locked doors that only hacking characters like Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury, and Iron Man can access, etc. X-Men Legends 2 did this really well, where there were areas only flyers were able to get to, or areas where only Deadpool and Nightcrawler were able to access.

I legit just want the mobility of each of the characters to not go to waste for the sake of moving around faster. Give us environmental hazards that require flying over, or strong characters like Hulk and Drax to lift and remove out of the way, have secret areas that require the use of one specific character's abilities to access. Like make the environment responsive and serve to not just the story, but the characters inhabiting it. Like using Nick Fury or Black Widow for any mission taking place in any SHIELD location should grant you immediate access to every location on the map, any radioactive areas should be relatively harmless to Wolverine, Hulk, Deadpool, and Drax. Basically character-driven logical sense should go into designing the maps.

OP
OP
PadWarrior

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
So I wonder if the villain of damnation will be in the game? Or is Surtur fulfilling that role.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting list. For the most part, there are good choices but definitely a few stinkers too.
I personally have not read Shadowland but it is not particularly well received by anyone who is a fan of Daredevil.
Avengers Assemble by Bendis is laaaaaaaaame. Just a proto-Infinity War story made years before IW to capitalize on the success of the first Avengers movie.
While I really liked Spider-Verse, it does require reading that precede it. Not a good book for newcomers.

Not sure if I would recommend New Avengers, as it is a heavy concept, thematic and plot focused book. Not to mention there are big ideas floating around in that book that were introduced in many other Hickman books as well. A new reader would be completely lost.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Adds to reading list, though recommending Spider-Verse on its own is pretty bad as new readers are going to be lost.

Yep. Instead of reading Spider-Verse, the correct thing would be to watch Spider-Verse. Works far better as an introduction to Miles and Spider-Gwen.

Noticeably, nothing on F4. Goddammit.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Infinity, New Avengers and X-Force is muy bueno. Infinity Gauntlet too, same can be said about Guardians.

Spider-verse is nice. Everything else, eh.

Shame about no Astonishing X-Men by Whedon, Planet Hulk by Pak etc.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Pretty sure the idea is runs that inspired or referenced by the game that the writer thought would be fun refs, not best runs of all time or characters definitive run. For that matter they are almost all team up books over solo runs and quite a few feel like blatant character teases. Nor is this list entirely for the comic newbie. These are runs that have some connection to some element of the game(that has been shown so far)

The dr strange one is blatant tease for the return of the midnight sons characters from the first game however

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
all the previous games in the series had garbage stories, but thats not why you played them. anyone expecting a good story from this game will be disappointed.
The first game spanned the entire marvel universe had a ridiculous number of marvel characters show up as NPCs and bosses and even had comic trivia quizzes. And the story was fun. I do expect this one to span the marvel universe too with the setup and have the strongest story yet since the writer is an actual marvel editor/writer with years of experience... but I don't expect Shakespeare either

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason they'd recommend Shadowland over the billion other significantly better Daredevil arcs? You could take basically any random issues from Mark Waid's run instead...