• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some folks have already begun seeing the film, so here's the OT thread (it's my first time making an OT thread, be gentle).
tumblr_p5neb4HpLi1r5cyr0o1_540.jpg

READY PLAYER ONE
Director: Steven Spielberg
Writers: Zak Penn and Ernest Cline
Release Date: March 29th
da9fa6c7c2c46e83-600x400.png

Starring:
Tye Sheridan as Wade Owen Watts / Parzival
Olivia Cooke as Samantha Evelyn Cook / Art3mis
Ben Mendelsohn as Nolan Sorrento
Mark Rylance as James Halliday
ready-player-one-movie-cast-600x251.jpg

Synopsis: "From filmmaker Steven Spielberg comes the science fiction action adventure "Ready Player One," based on Ernest Cline's bestseller of the same name, which has become a worldwide phenomenon. The film is set in 2045, with the world on the brink of chaos and collapse. But the people have found salvation in the OASIS, an expansive virtual reality universe created by the brilliant and eccentric James Halliday (Mark Rylance). When Halliday dies, he leaves his immense fortune to the first person to find a digital Easter egg he has hidden somewhere in the OASIS, sparking a contest that grips the entire world. When an unlikely young hero named Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) decides to join the contest, he is hurled into a breakneck, reality-bending treasure hunt through a fantastical universe of mystery, discovery and danger."

Trailer:

Reviews:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ready_player_one/

Disclaimer: Please don't derail this thread by spamming excerpts from the book and talking about how bad it is (it happens in every RPO movie thread). This thread is about the film, so if you can please try to stay focused on that.

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
In before someone lets us know they didn't like the book.

Does anyone know if the Ah-Ha "Take On Me" remix is on the soundtrack?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm quite interested to see what people think of this. I thought it was decent to good at best and while walking out I heard a few people hate on it. But then online from what I've seen it seems quite a lot of people loved it. Could be quite a divisive film.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the trailers looked great, I'm not a fan of nostalgia bait, and the art is super unappealing to me... but man, I have MoviePass I'm watching this shit obviously.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Copying my thoughts on the film after seeing it tonight from the other threads

Ok here comes the long awaited impressions for Ready Player One then, is it a masterpiece, is it a massive flop, is it the Black Panther for gamers?

...Well, it's not that last one, I'll say that much.

- For reference on my own taste first, the top 3 films I've seen this year so far is The Shape of Water, Paddington 2 and Coco (Being in the UK means we get stuff a lot later than the US, although I will commit to my own sin of taking this long to watch Paddington. Last year my favourite films was Baby Driver, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. and Get Out. So if those match up with your tastes, you'll probably be in a similar boat with me on this.)
- I haven't read the book so I can't really do comparisons between the two. What I can tell though is Spielberg has appeared to cut out most of the problematic stuff from the book itself (There's no moment where the game comes to halt to talk about mastabation for example)
- I got to see this film due to Cineworld (UK) having it as one of their unlimited member screenings.
- Prepare yourself for an opening exposition dump by our main protagonist. It goes on for quite a long while (At least until the title card comes up) to the theme of Jump. Maybe it's mandatory to explain the premise of the world... but still, show, don't tell.
- Oh yeah Batman shows up here, he's in the film for a grand total of maybe 3 seconds for the whole film, similarly the 1966 Batmobile as well.
- In fact a lot of the references are like that, Tracer, Chun Li, the Battletoads, the Spartans from Halo, etc. For the most of them, what you've seen the trailer of them is what you get. With a few exceptions like King Kong, The Iron Giant, The Gundam and yes, Mechagodzilla.
- The highlight of the film acting wise comes from Mark Rylance and his performance as Halliday, he captures the weary old programmer role very well and has a great speech at the end of the film explaining why he created the Oasis in the first place. Simon Pegg also performs well as Ogden Morrow, the co-creator who parted ways with halliday when the Oasis becomes too big.
- Sadly can't say that Tye Sheridan as Wade Watts/Parzival is all that memorable. At best he's servicable, at other times he's a slog. If you've seen the trailer and saw his rallying speech in that, that's what you expect. You much rather prefer to spend more time with Art3mis and Aech who seem a lot more interesting, but we don't get nearly enough time with them to learn more about them.
- Daito and Shoto don't feel they get any time at all until the third act. At least they don't feel an embarassment to japan with only going on about honour on virtue of not being in the film that much.
- Ben Mendelsohn as Sorento does an alright job. He plays the corporate business bad guy to a tee, but he doesn't ham up the performance, that honour goes to T.J. Miller as i-R0k who gives in the requisite oddball performance for the film. Sadly there wasn't nearly enough Hannah John-Kamen as F'Nale Zandor (Wait, that's a real name and not a gamertag?) on screen with Sorento she clearly shows as the bigger threat, but she's not given any real time to be one.
- Spielberg knows how to shoot a film, I'll say that much. The worlds he's crafted here really do pop out and look great, even during the hectic race at the beginning of the film and the big final battle sequence, you can clearly tell what is going on and where everyone is along with what they are going to do. It's not going to make you vomit during the action sequences and it might be worth watching a youtube video 3 months later to spot all those blink and you miss references (Sonic is apparantly in the film somewhere but I did not spot him).
- CGI outside of the really bad looking main character designs is good as well. Perhaps it helps that it's a video game so it can be a little unrealistic compared to normal but it works, I particularly like how the Curator looks, and they do a good job for Mechagodzilla in the final big fight. The militarised IOI soldiers stand out as noteworthy to. Also there is i-R0k who's design is stupid but also amusingly stupid to enjoy.
- Funnily enough with all the talk about this being a movie about video games. It's the extended sequence in the middle of the film with the second key challenge set in The Shining where the film is at it's best. The references work here the best since it's basically just key moments from the shining messing around with the Hi-5 and getting to Aech who did not see the film, falling for the bloody elevator and the babe in the shower that's really an old woman.
- I wish the final battle was set in a more interesting place though, you here the name "Castle Anorak" and you are expecting a castle that can rival that of Castle Greyskull (considering the 80's references and all) but it falls on the fairly plain side design wise, after the really great Shining Sequence before it, you sorta want better.
- There are some really, really, really dumb moments of convenience that I hope where from the books as they stand out like a really sore thumb that you wonder why they are there, such as why do these High-Tech suits have the ability to feel pain if you are going to use them in combat? The main big bad gets beaten by Parzival kicking him in the balls and you have to wonder why would even make a suit that lets you feel pain in the balls in the real world, you got you big expensive custom gaming chair. Why does the Sorento have his password written on a small piece of paper by his chair for all to see, including Parzival when he holograms him in for a message. How does someone even reach a high rank by doing that, it's not even a trap or anything, he just has it there ready for all to see. And Halliday has a really big off-button that just turns off the Oasis in his place that Parzival nearly hits due to being chased in the real world... It feels like it's just there for last act tension and I don't know why it exists. Also there talk about Parzival parents died in the first part of the film and never touch on it again later on. I won't go into this much further though because those feel like CinemaSins stuff which people really don't care about.
- Your not going to care for the soundtrack unless it's themes you recognise from other films like parts of Back to the Future, the score of The Shining or Godzilla's theme.
- Oh and the 3D doesn't really stand out at all. It's lighted at least so you can see what is going on, but there was nothing about it that popped out. Since I think this film is only being released in 3D, that alone could be a big turn off for people.

Alright, if you didn't want to read all that and just want my opinion... Film is fine. It's well shot, it looks good for the most part with the exception of the really generic main protagonist designs, the action for the film is good, there's a standout scene in the middle of the movie that's worth checking out, Mark Rylance as Halliday steals the film as the best actor, Tye Sheridan as Parzival however is mostly forgettable though.

It's alright, if I were to use the Double Toasted ratings systems, it's hovering around the Matinee level for me. If you are interested in the trailers I think you'll enjoy it. But if the trailers did nothing for you, you can give it a pass.

Also of note, I believe the film is initially releasing in 3D Only, the 3D however doesn't stand out, at least it doesn't make the film unwatchable though.

And now the moment you've been waiting for, the references the film does that will make everyone groan the most in a fortnights time (Spoilers here as well)

- During the lengthy opening exposition dump, when Parzival says the Oasis is full of endless possibilites, they show Minecraft World, it's just minecraft world, nothing else about it.
- Art3mis forces Parzival to wear a disguise due to his new found stardom after getting the first key and makes him wear Clark Kent glasses. This is the only seen in the whole film he ever wears them. They drop the disguise immediately afterwards
- The Ninja Turtles show up in the film in their hideous 2014 movie looks. I mean if you are doing a reference, at least reference the most popular design of the turtles...
- Art3mis confronts Parzival as Goro and pranks him by having a chestburster breaker out of his stomach. I don't know why.
- The Iron Giant goes out by falling into a pit of Lava, with it's last shot being the thumbs up the T-1000 did.

If you want anything further from me it'll have to wait till tomorrow, it's 2am over here now and I need to sleep.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone told me that the Iron Giant is literally
a "gun"
in this. Is this horrible rumor true?

Status
Not open for further replies.