• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The very definition of a Poochie!

Scrappy-doo.png
I hated this character even when I was a little kid.
Me too, and I was the demographic he was aimed towards!

Mystery Incorporated threw some massive shade at Scrappy

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it, the network execs were insistent that Columbo should have a partner despite not really having anything for a partner to do because of the show's formula. So the first one the creators gave him was some tryhard idiot rookie cop who Columbo basically just tries to ignore the whole time.

bob20dishy2020columbop5jp2.jpg

Then they gave him an actual Poochy the Dog, by way of Dog, Columbo's dog. He exists solely for Columbo to tell him to stay in the car.

image108okua.jpg
I️ loves Columbos dog

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Wendy, Marvin, and Wonder Dog

wendy_harris_marvin_white__wonder_dog.jpg

...followed by the Wonder Twins:

IMG_0003.JPG

All of them inspired by the OG, Robin:

golden-age-robin-comics.jpg

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna come in with a scorching hot take here and say Gohan in Dragon Ball

giphy.gif

Goku grew up, so there needed to be a new kid character for the children to latch on to. Gohan sheds this when the Buu Saga comes around and he's finally allowed to develop a personality though.

I like you.

Gohan sucks.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
WyndomEarle.png

Not for the youth, but he just appears and is handed a deep backstory with Coop so the show would have a point

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
lol I was tempted to say Robin, he fits the description in the first post, although to go full Poochie I think you have to fail.
We need to define 'Poochie' more clearly.

There's:
  • Character added to keep an ongoing fictional world fresh
  • Character added for a new demographic to connect with
Which are of course common, Robin probably originally fit both of those.

I think full Poochie is those plus the character must be a corporate designed 'cool' character using every flavour of the minute trope of the era, but still be out of date in a 'Hello fellow kids' manner due to being designed by an out of touch committee.

It would be like some long running show today adding a 'cool' character who is constantly dabbing, eating tide pods, planking, and playing Pokemon Go (to the polls).

CatSoul

Nov 7, 2018
Sparky and Chloe from The Fairly OddParents. I'm giving Poof a pass because he seems like he's always been there compared to those two. Sparky even disappeared in the last season with no real explanation.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
And then he is never mentioned in season 3 so I think it fits!

Yes I believe it was said at the time Lynch didn't like the character and the direction the show took. Looking at the way he was basically brushed aside by the real antagonist in the season 2 finale, it makes sense that Lynch didn't give two shits about him

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
The Green Ranger in Power Rangers

Unfortunately he stayed around and stole my man Jason's shine

Fuck Tommy

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
YBWkSSX.jpg

Future Trunks is the most Poochie character ever.

Before he was introduced, the concept of the Super Saiyan was that it was only something gained every once in 1000 years. He was introduced and NOPE, as long as you have Saiyan DNA in you, with the right amount of training you can also obtain it.

He's introduced making both that plotpoint and Frieza being actually threatening irrelevant. He one-shots the villain AND that villain's father without breaking a sweat, making him the strongest character ever at that point.

He looks cooler than everyone else, and he has a sword even though he doesn't need it. Nobody even trained him to use it, canonically. He just gets it after Gohan dies in his timeline, for some reason.

On top of that when he comes back to the series in Super, he attains his own exclusive Super Saiyan form that makes him the strongest person in the universe at that point next to Goku and Vegeta. It isn't God ki but it apparently can match God ki, for some reason. He also gets the final blow using a technique he pulled out of his ass.

Oct 26, 2017
We need to define 'Poochie' more clearly.

There's:
  • Character added to keep an ongoing fictional world fresh
  • Character added for a new demographic to connect with
Which are of course common, Robin probably originally fit both of those.

I think full Poochie is those plus the character must be a corporate designed 'cool' character using every flavour of the minute trope of the era, but still be out of date in a 'Hello fellow kids' manner due to being designed by an out of touch committee.

It would be like some long running show today adding a 'cool' character who is constantly dabbing, eating tide pods, planking, and playing Pokemon Go (to the polls).

Yeah I was meaning to edit my post to say he needs to be a corporate decision too, Robin wasn't, from the sounds of things.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This thread seems to boil down to "character introduced to series at some point besides the beginning that I don't like."
Yup, this is one of those threads where people posting almost understand the subject at hand, but are missing an important detail. In this case, the character has to be a lame attempt at being hip and edgy and with the times. (That isn't and wasn't Gohan.)

Oyashiro-Sama

Oct 27, 2017
People need to remember that for a character to be considered a Poochie. That character needs to be...

1. Introduced for the sole purpose of rejuvenating ratings by trying to appeal to a certain demographic.

2. Is rejected by fans of the show almost universally.

3. Often killed off or writen out of the show. If not, their importance is downplayed and they become relegated to more of a occasional background character.

The core of a Poochie is that it is a shallow corporate decision that is hated and then they try to sweep it under the rug to save face.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
The very definition of a Poochie!

Scrappy-doo.png

Believe it or not, Scrappy was pretty popular when he was first introduced. But the showrunners forgot that too much of a good thing can be bad for you and made him the focal point of the show cutting out Daphne, Velma and Fred in the process. Then his popularity tanked.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Randy's addition to That 70's show - the bumbling nerdy "every-man" character leaves the show and is replaced with the most unlikely bland "cool" character with no flaws. The quality of the show had already tanked at this point, but this was the final nail.

ZbX0PLaJTxXl.jpg

Yeah, Randy's a good one. He was barely even in the finale and didn't even appear in the final scene lol.

The worst part was that originally he was just going to take over Eric's character. Eric was going to come back from Africa a "changed man". I can't IMAGINE how pissed people would have been.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I think by now Scrappy Doo has spent for more time being shat on by the Scooby Doo franchise across multiple incarnations than he ever did being, well, Scrappy Doo.

The Green Ranger in Power Rangers

Unfortunately he stayed around and stole my man Jason's shine

Fuck Tommy
Greeen Ranger is the exact opposite of Poochie. He's more like Urkel, intended to be a side character (because there was only limited footage of him in the Japanese show) but grew so popular he effectively became the show.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
A related phenomenon is the "Cousin Oliver," named after a late series addition to the Brady Bunch. Like Poochie, it's an attempt to revitalize a fading show by adding a character who doesn't belong and is based on market trends, ultimately failing. However, where the Poochie relies on cool factor, the Cousin Oliver tries to do this by being a cute kid who inevitably ends up annoying.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I don't even hate scrappy as scrappy, I just hated that he eventually served to stand in for fred, daphne, and velma

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up, are they doing the Jiraya Tsunade Orochimaru esque trio again? Hasn't that dynamic been beaten into the ground already prior to Boruto even starting?
I mean nothing in Boruto is original so... yeah...
I've never watched a single episode of DragonBall but I feel certain this is unusual opinion unless people legit liked Scrappy Doo who after all is actually who poochy is with barely a disguise.
it's a bad take because Gohan had been in the series from the beginning and they built up to this moment and developed his character in a natural way.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII basically became this. In FFXIII-2, everybody's always asking where Lightning is. And then in XIII-3, she gets the ability to time travel. And yet she's always just as annoying and unpleasant as ever.
Not really.
See, a Poochie can't be the main protagonist, they're a side character shoved into the spotlight. Lightning is in fact the main character in the FFXIII series. They also have to be largely unpopular with the intended fanbase... Which she's not. She's quite beloved. Hell, a recent popularity poll ranked her 6th, above both Tifa and Noctis. People undersell how much she's liked. At most she's a divisive character, but she's certainly popular.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not really.
See, a Poochie can't be the main protagonist, they're a side character shoved into the spotlight. Lightning is in fact the main character in the FFXIII series. They also have to be largely unpopular with the intended fanbase... Which she's not. She's quite beloved. Hell, a recent popularity poll ranked her 6th, above both Tifa and Noctis. People undersell how much she's liked. At most she's a divisive character, but she's certainly popular.

I was specifically referencing Homer's demands to improve Poochie. "Whenever Poochie's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking 'where's Poochie?' Also, Poochie should have access to a time machine."

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Poochie characteristics:
- One-note, flat personality
- Despite this, shows up regularly, even when he wouldn't belong
- Visual design meant to convey attitude
- Has zero coherence with the world he's been placed in
- Extremely, overwhelmingly unpopular

The Poochie of the Sonic series isn't Shadow.

800px-DeadlySix_Zazz.png