• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
I think he clarified that it was just one developer with a specific engine that made it harder for the PS5. He was just trying to show an example of how things will be when it comes to multiplats.

That's not a great example when it comes to multiplats, plural, as it seems to be about a single indie dev working on a small project...you can't extrapolate that out to be the norm. It goes against virtually everything we've heard.

EDIT: he updated.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I do agree with you and I think Rare are really close to that turning point but I think they need to demonstrate that with a follow up to Sea of Thieves. Irrespective of what it is now, Sea of Thieves wasn't a hit at launch and some of the success appears to have stemmed from the viral nature of its gameplay, and I worry that that could be something that ends up being difficult for the studio to replicate.

If you compare to a title like Naughtydog, their success is much more of a known quality. They invest in big budget, cinematic experiences. They know what the conditions are for their games to succeed, and they know how to fulfil them consistently. I'm not yet convinced that Rare are there.

I think that's true, but I think that's also because Rare's own mission statement seems to be pretty different than Naughty Dog's . Rare have said they don't really like to do sequels, and they like to do very different games every time. I believe the studio's actual motto is something to the effect of "making the games the world doesn't already have".

Modern Naughty Dog have been very much all-in on making extremely polished linear, third-person, "cinematic" and narrative-driven action game - and they are very good at it. But those kinds of "cinematic" games are well-known crowd pleasers, as are open-world action games (Ubisoft basically lives off of them). It's why you constantly see people saying Microsoft need to make more open-world and "cinematic" games like Sony. And not for nothing, but it's also worth mentioning that reporting would seem to indicate that Naughty Dog's extreme level of polish and quality comes attached to a lot of human collateral damage within the studio.

Success will be inherently more difficult to replicate for Rare, because they inherently walk a riskier path by choice.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so I guess I'll just come clean here... I'm talking about Resident Evil Village. The game's terrible performance at the PS5 reveal event with the terrible frame rate present in the trailer was kinda' the current status of the game on PS5 as of a few months ago. The thing is, apparently the game runs perfectly on Xbox X, they've been having some troubles getting the frame rate stable on PS5 (which as Sony had a rule to record the PS5 event gameplay on PS5, lead to the weird frame showing in that trailer). But it's running in the RE Engine, and they'll be making more optimizations to take advantage of the game there.

The price stuff is from different sources, I said that earlier but will clarify here.
That's not what I was expecting lol.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Okay, so I guess I'll just come clean here... I'm talking about Resident Evil Village. The game's terrible performance at the PS5 reveal event with the terrible frame rate present in the trailer was kinda' the current status of the game on PS5 as of a few months ago. The thing is, apparently the game runs perfectly on Xbox X, they've been having some troubles getting the frame rate stable on PS5 (which as Sony had a rule to record the PS5 event gameplay on PS5, lead to the weird frame showing in that trailer). But it's running in the RE Engine, and they'll be making more optimizations to take advantage of the game there.

The price stuff is from different sources, I said that earlier but will clarify here.

RE8 trailer is 4k 30 fps on PS5 not 1080p 60 fps and the game release in 2021, they have time the build was not running on the final devkit probably because it was release in June.

Oct 27, 2017
I do agree with you and I think Rare are really close to that turning point but I think they need to demonstrate that with a follow up to Sea of Thieves. Irrespective of what it is now, Sea of Thieves wasn't a hit at launch and some of the success appears to have stemmed from the viral nature of its gameplay, and I worry that that could be something that ends up being difficult for the studio to replicate.

If you compare to a title like Naughtydog, their success is much more of a known quality. They invest in big budget, cinematic experiences. They know what the conditions are for their games to succeed, and they know how to fulfil them consistently. I'm not yet convinced that Rare are there.
Actually no sea of thieves was a hit at launch for rare. They had millions of users in the first month and far exceeded their projections

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017

That definitely sucks to hear. The framerate was aweful. But no other game at the event had those issues... This is definitely unfortunate.

Was that 1080/60 fps with ray-tracing enabled?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Matt since u have had experience with both devkits is it true that ps5 is difficult to perform well in multiplatform games and the differences are very visible in favor of xsx like it is suggested here ?

Thanks in advance

I wasn't aware Matt was a Dev with access to both dev kits. I doubt he can chime in unfortunately. He will have signed an NDA.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
RE8 trailer is 4k 30 fps on PS5 not 1080p 60 fps and the game release in 2021, they have time the build was not running on the final devkit probably because it was release in June.

Yep, added to that they're probably behind with the PS5 version as it has to support Playstation VR perhaps.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
100% they'll optimize it before release, the RE Engine is very customizable, but the build of the game they were showing there was running perfectly fine on PC & Xbox X, but was chugging on the PS5, which is where my comments came from. Obviously they'll optimize the Hell out of it and have it in good shape by release, but it was the game I meant when I said that comment. It's a singular example and not representative of what other developers may be facing though.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
That definitely sucks to hear. The framerate was aweful. But no other game at the event had those issues... This is definitely unfortunate.

Was that 1080/60 fps with ray-tracing enabled?

Was wondering if it also a different mode since the RE trailer was 4k unless that upscaling from 1080p.

I wasn't aware Matt was a Dev with access to both dev kits. I doubt he can chime in unfortunately. He will have signed an NDA.

He chime in enough to give you a idea what going to happen .
Like XSX more powerful but not by some big amount or don't expect multiplatform games to fully used PS5 SSD eg
He has given a lot of info over past few months if you were in the tech base threads.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

When you make incorrect statements that "Sea of Thieves wasn't a hit at launch" it unfortunately makes everything else you say sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
100% they'll optimize it before release, the RE Engine is very customizable, but the build of the game they were showing there was running perfectly fine on PC & Xbox X, but was chugging on the PS5, which is where my comments came from. Obviously they'll optimize the Hell out of it and have it in good shape by release, but it was the game I meant when I said that comment. It's a singular example and not representative of what other developers may be facing though.

You've been right on many things in the past, so there's noreason not to take your words seriously. But, why would you extrapolate experience of a dev-team on RE8 to say multi-platform games in general will run a lot better on Xbox, or how we should be preparing ourselves for it? It doesn't jive, but it's gonna drive that discussion for weeks and months, as you have seen by the activity in last few hours already.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

After this is one dev and other games are running 4k 30 or 60 fps and look better for example Horizon. RE8 current-gen version was cut during development and it shows the cross-gen roots.

EDIT: And like other people said it was the only game with framerate problem on PS5 first or third party. Pragmata did not have this problem for example and it is a Capcom game too.

4k 30 fps with raytracing

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is pushing the narrative that they are no longer in the competition, but frankly I don't really buy it. If PS5 doubles the marketshare (not necessarily console sales) of XSX, frankly I think that's an inditement on XBox. Perhaps MS is content with 3rd place, but nevertheless I don't buy the idea that these products are not competing for marketshare.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Thank you for the information, we all really appreciate it. Have you heard anything regarding the reason for the disparity in performance?

You've been right on many things in the past, so there's not reason not to take your words seriously. But, why would you extrapolate experience of a dev-team on RE8 to say multi-platform games will run a lot better on Xbox, and how we should be preparing ourselves for it? It doesn't jive, and it's gonna drive that discussion for weeks and months.

He already said he had information from a small group of people.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Isn't the RE8 trailer captured from ps5 native 4k ? Something is missing somewhere

Even ps4 pro could run RE8 for the tests as seen in the leaks . So why would ps5 have issues if ps4 pro was running their internal tests ?

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Be prepared for a range of headlines and tweets.

SONY IN DANGER ? LIKE GOD OF WAR, RE8 ISN'T OPTIMISED SIX MONTH BEFORE ITS RELEASE.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Vague hints as yes or no doesnt include nda. Nda is for undisclosed information

he wouldn't even be able to allude to anything i don't think?

was re 8 demoed on pc running fine and it was struggling on ps5?

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

So you went from saying multiple devs and multiple games to really talking about one game? And what you really meant was that porting the game to the Xbox dev kit was easier than the PS5 dev kit, which happens all the time in game development? (Porting to one dev kit, let's say the Switch in my example, can be easy but the other consoles need more work - this happens all the time).

I'm not trying to call you out here but your statements were pretty definitive and broad and ever since making them you have been backtracking. Games running worse on one platform than another when they are first being ported happens all the time and not noting that when saying what you've been saying is only telling half-truths, and you should absolutely be called out on that. Especially since optimization and frame rate tend to be some of the last things locked down for games.

I've worked on AAA games where one version doesn't even boot past the title screen for a month or the game runs at 5 fps and all of that that was a perfectly normal part of the dev process since sometimes shit doesn't work properly until the proper code is built to support it.

That's not to say that the game won't run better on Series X when it releases, it very well could (will likely run at higher resolution at the very least) but come on man - what you said at first and what you just said now clearly don't match up with each other.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm not sure they want to in the classic sense; at least at the senior exec level. MS, like pretty much every similar technology company, are pivoting hard to services via SaaS orientated models.

This pivot has left Xbox division, in my view, focused on Gamepass/xCloud and attempting to claim as much of the early adopter market for subscription based game services as they can. It's also left them with their hardware efforts previously started and a market that seems them as direct Sony competitor (and obviously in many ways they are); and I reckon they'd rather not have to compete or measured in that way. It's inevitable they will of course, but I don't think many of their stategies/tactics going forward will worry about beating Sony in the classic sense; TBH for at least next generation there won't be enough change IMO for them to be anything but second or even third in market judged on traditional SW/HW units sold anyway.

They'd rather gain Gamepass/xCloud business and it's cllear Nadella, etc would much prefer subscriptions and services customers than console/software purchasers.

Right now though they're caught halfway through the pivot and they are going to come of worse I'm sure by traditional metrics.

TL:DR: they most likely can't by traditional metrics but I don't believe MS are fighting for those anyway or particularly care about them; they'd rather have a bigger slice of the currently much smaller subscription gaming market.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I assume they'll also keep optimizing the PC and XsX versions.. anyways we will know in a couple months.. DF faceoffs should be interesting.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the information, we all really appreciate it. Have you heard anything regarding the reason for the disparity in performance?

I think he mix up stuff because RE8 was not 1080p60fps .
It was 4k@30fps so i wondering if he i stalking about another mode.

he wouldn't even be able to allude to anything i don't think?

Once the info out there he can speak about certain things or hints at them.
He has been doing it for years.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
You've been right on many things in the past, so there's noreason not to take your words seriously. But, why would you extrapolate experience of a dev-team on RE8 to say multi-platform games in general will run a lot better on Xbox, or how we should be preparing ourselves for it? It doesn't jive, but it's gonna drive that discussion for weeks and months, as you have seen by the activity in last few hours already.
From what I've anecdotally heard from some other dev friends of mine, Xbox X does have the advantage when it comes to multi-platform games on most fronts. But this is still anecdotal from the few people I've talked to on this topic, but I think some people should get ready for that as it was consistent at least with everyone I've talked with making games for PS5 & Xbox X.

Isn't the RE8 trailer captured from ps5 native 4k ? Something is missing somewhere

Even ps4 pro could run RE8 for the tests as seen in the leaks . So why would ps5 have issues if ps4 pro was running their internal tests ?

Yes, but the game had issues also at 1080p. I'm not just speaking of the trailer, though you can clearly see it in the trailer, which I had asked further about and lead to this point.

The game has been updated a lot since the PS4 Pro version (character models, effects already, it's a WIP), but the build where it's at notably was only having issues on PS5. There's any number of reasons for that and I don't know the specifics, just I know that tidbit, and it is true. However I also know Capcom has some very talented people, the engine is very customizable, so it'll probably be working perfectly by launch, but it's an odd notable thing, though I should've clarified my comment was on the one game.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Discussing performance differences for games slated for 2021 seems weird but anyone expecting PS5 to outperform XSX is on some good shit

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
So you went from saying multiple devs and multiple games to really talking about one game? And what you really meant was that porting the game to the Xbox dev kit was easier than the PS5 dev kit, which happens all the time in game development? (Porting to one dev kit, let's say the Switch in my example, can be easy but the other consoles need more work - this happens all the time).

I'm not trying to call you out here but your statements were pretty definitive and broad and ever since making them you have been backtracking. Games running worse on one platform than another when they are first being ported happens all the time and not noting that when saying what you've been saying is only telling half-truths, and you should absolutely be called out on that. Especially since optimization and frame rate tend to be some of the last things locked down for games.

I've worked on AAA games where one version doesn't even boot past the title screen for a month or the game runs at 5 fps and all of that that was a perfectly normal part of the dev process since sometimes shit doesn't work properly until the proper code is built to support it.

That's not to say that the game won't run better on Series X when it releases, it very well could (will likely run at higher resolution at the very least) but come on man - what you said at first and what you just said now clearly don't match up with each other.

If the release was in the beginning of September it would have been worrying, here it is a 2021 game with the base version being PC this is logic the port is easier to do on XSX.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

My comments on everything else was from talking to multiple dev friends of mine (still making it an anecdotal pool of a few friends/acquaintances though). The comment on not achieving 1080p60fps was singular in RE8's case, and I should've clarified it better I was talking about a singular game with that comment.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
youtu.be

Resident Evil Village - Special Developer Message

Tsuyoshi Kanda and Peter Fabiano, Producers on Resident Evil Village, provide a first look into the game's development. Resident Evil Village comes to PlaySt...

Resident Evil: Village

Edit:

This seems 4k to me, rendered at 30fps.

If this game can't do 60fps on PS5, it means it is CPU bound. Which would mean XSX can't do it either and frankly, I think thats bullshit.

I am willing to believe dusk made a mistake, simply by mistaken "struggling" with PS5 with the recently reported playtesters having played it on PS4 Pros, which got scrapped as we all know by now.

Last edited:

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I doubt they'll sell the most boxes but I think they can still compete for a decent sized slice of the pie and be successful with what they're doing.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
You can open them then right click open in new tab (at least in chrome) to compare. If you zoom in to native resolution, you can see A is slightly more sharp and jaggies are crisper, B is very slightly blurrier and some highlights are lost. On screen and in motion, I can't imagine I'd be able to see a difference though.
Yes, you can, but you need an extra step. First open on the same fricking tab, by left clicking. Then right click and open in new tab. A lot of times I then click the back arrow (instead of X to close the screenshot) to go back to the thread, but instead it will go back to the gaming forum...................There's no advantage in the way resetera handles screenshots. I honestly can't think why it's designed in such a way.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We all know Series X is more powerful than PS5 and games will look better. I'm not expecting this staggering differences in multiplatform games some are though.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
You can open them then right click open in new tab (at least in chrome) to compare. If you zoom in to native resolution, you can see A is slightly more sharp and jaggies are crisper, B is very slightly blurrier and some highlights are lost. On screen and in motion, I can't imagine I'd be able to see a difference though.

Yes, you can, but you need an extra step, like you explained. Instead of the normal and easy way to use the middle mouse button, boom, done in one. Also when you want to go back to the thread, I always make the mistake by clicking the back arrow button of Chrome, instead of X, which sends me back the gaming forum instead of the thread. I honestly can't think of one reason why screenshots are handled in such a way on Resetera, as a fancy popup, instead of being opened in a new tab.

Here you go:

On Chrome you can hold CNTR and press the corresbonding number keys of the tabs to jump between.
Cool to know, thx.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Discussing performance differences for games slated for 2021 seems weird but anyone expecting PS5 to outperform XSX is on some good shit

Correct unless you talking about loading or streaming XSX will always have the GPU advantage in most things .
It is at least 18% stronger and more on raytracing.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
When you make incorrect statements that "Sea of Thieves wasn't a hit at launch" it unfortunately makes everything else you say sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

Sorry, I was talking more about its critical reception and general attitudes towards the game around the launch window. The sentiment has really changed since that period and even its commercial success, has upturned significantly since then.

I was referring to this type of sentiment, which is incredibly common.

www.polygon.com

Sea of Thieves 2019 review: a year later, it’s a new game

One year after launch, Sea of Thieves is a pleasure thanks to Tall Tales, the Arena, and Hunter’s Call

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
now this is a hell of a conspiracy theory.

If true then wow. Do you think the ue5 marketing deal was done for similar reasons?

If capcom can't get RE8 to run at 1080p@60fps they have some work to do.
Cause we seen better looking at higher res and fps .

This is not more on raytracing, raytracing scale with TMU and frequency. This is 18% and around 20/25% in memory bandwidth.

Must remember wrong since i thought it was 20% .

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand development very well, thank you and I don't need you to teach me anything. No game will struggle with 1080p unless they're going full ray tracing and pushing crazy polygon numbers, which I doubt anyone will do that. It's logic.
just to play devils advocate for a bit, watch dogs on pc ran at 1080p 30 fps on a rtx 2080 ti with reflections on.

Cross gen games won't be optimized for the ps5.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I was talking more about its critical reception and general attitudes towards the game around the launch window. The sentiment has really changed since that period and even its commercial success, has upturned significantly since then.

I was referring to this type of sentiment, which is incredibly common.

www.polygon.com

Sea of Thieves 2019 review: a year later, it’s a new game

One year after launch, Sea of Thieves is a pleasure thanks to Tall Tales, the Arena, and Hunter’s Call
I was thinking that's what you meant, and that's obviously different than it's launch success but yes, Sea of Thieves reception has only gotten better over time due to the constant content updates. Even IGN rereviewed Sea of Thieves this year and it went from a 6 to an 8.

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is pushing the narrative that they are no longer in the competition, but frankly I don't really buy it. If PS5 doubles the marketshare (not necessarily console sales) of XSX, frankly I think that's an inditement on XBox. Perhaps MS is content with 3rd place, but nevertheless I don't buy the idea that these products are not competing for marketshare.
They aren't pushing the narrative that they aren't in the competition, considering they are meant to be launching two consoles this year and have grown their first party from 5 to 15 studios. They are just competing on multiple fronts now hence Phil Spencer mentioning Google and Amazon as future competitors in the industry.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
now this is a hell of a conspiracy theory.

If true then wow. Do you think the ue5 marketing deal was done for similar reasons?
Dude wouldn't it be easier and way cheaper for sony to pay to keep parity instead of trying to pay much more and make them exclusive ? Common sense and all 👀😜

iareec

Banned
Jul 19, 2020
Some people already mad about someone saying Xbox is more powerful. I will wait and play safe, but it will be interesting to see the comparison between those two next gen consoles, then Xbox Series X > PS5 will be a fact for everyone (in terms of power). Again ... I will wait.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox just needs to come out swinging with some cool new IPs which they are doing. I think when it comes to the end of the generation it is going to be a close call. I think In the beginning Sony might pull ahead but If the new IPs that Xbox are doing are "must play" games then they will be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.