• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Diesel%2Fproduct%2Frgo%2Frebelgalaxyoutlaw_about_image-1000x840-01763c7e04002430458eae73fb84b097f90407a2.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC, PlayStation 4, Switch, Xbox One
Release Date:
PC (Epic Games Store) - August 13th, 2019​
Steam, PS4, Switch, XB1 - September 22nd 2020​
Genre: Space Sim
Price: $29.99
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
Developer/Publisher: Double Damage
Size: ~20 GB

ywbOSgv.png

What is Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a modern take on Flight Simulators of the past like Freelancer and Privateer. You take control of Juno Markev as she traverses a set of interconnected star systems, taking missions and engaging in dog-fights to help propel your mission of revenge.

So it's just space combat/traversal?
You are also able to hang out in a "space-bar" and engage in side content like 8-ball, find missions or just relax and listen to the game's 24 hours of music.

How long is the exclusivity period on the Epic Games Store?
12 months.

I'm a newbie to the genre. Is this a good entry point?
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw has a bunch of difficulty and accessibility options. There have been additional tutorial elements added to the game since launch as well.

HOTAS and gamepad support?
Yes to both for PC. There is no HOTAS support on console (not being ruled out for the future though).

Am I limited to a cockpit view?
There is a third person view available.

How is this connected to the original Rebel Galaxy?
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a prequel to that game and you do not need to have played it to enjoy Outlaw.

Can I fly large capital ships?
No. The game is focused on smaller craft.

Steam workshop support?
Yes, but not as of this writing.

Can I buy and sell ships in-game?
Yes.

Next gen upgrades?
"No next-gen plans to announce currently."

Physical release?
It is being evaluated by the developers, but no guarantee of it happening.

Soundtrack?
No official soundtrack release but a playlist can be found here:
rebel-galaxy.com

The Music of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

We get asked about the RGO soundtrack a lot. This is a handy link with all the spotify playlists and a list of songs!

Can I customise my ship?
Yeah, and it's wild. *Note that the paint feature is only on the PC version of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

NzbC7QI.png

mit15-1.jpg
mit1-2.jpg

mit13-1.jpg
mit14-1.jpg

GVkLXsw.png

Metacritic | Opencritic

GameSkinny 8/10
Despite a few stumbles, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is one of the best space sims of recent memory, with strong characters, fast-paced combat, and amazing music.

cjDhsJh.png

Official Site
Dev Twitter

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT OP!

I know that EGS doesn't do preloads (sigh) but do we have any Infos on when the game will actually unlock?

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nice thread op!

Been really looking forward to this. I enjoyed the original but didn't really like the 2D plane, but I know some did. I love the complexity of Elite, I know this isn't anywhere near that but a more guided structure and story is what I need right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice thread op!

Been really looking forward to this. I enjoyed the original but didn't really like the 2D plane, but I know some did.

IIRC they wanted to make the first game a Freelancer style game like this one but they were afraid Star Citizen would release soon and steal all it's thunder, so they came up with the 2D capital ship thing. And now they already release their next game and Star Citizen is as far from release as it was back then...

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome OP.

As someone longs constantly for the days of story-centric flight sims like Freespace and the X-Wing series, RGO seems like it goes quite a ways towards soothing that need (though it obviously takes a lot from Freelancer as well).

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
IIRC they wanted to make the first game a Freelancer style game like this one but they were afraid Star Citizen would release soon and steal all it's thunder, so they came up with the 2D capital ship thing. And now they already release their next game and Star Citizen is as far from release as it was back then...

Holy shit, that's amazing

Edit: but sad as well, if Star Citizen lived up to the promise it would be my dream game

vikungfu

Oct 27, 2017
Venice, CA
After watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look I'm super interested in this. I kinda wanna wait til the Switch or PS4 version cause this looks like a get-comfy- game.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
GB QL sold me on it, (wasn't difficult because I triple dipped on Rebel Galaxy) will see if I hold off for PS4 or cave and get it for PC after I'm done with FE

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Very excited. The first game was awesome (Especially since you could do custom soundtrack) but it also felt a bit limited and I did not enjoy the enemy levels scaling with your ship's worth.

Hopefully this one fixes those things.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
This game looks really awesome. I gotta watch GB quicklook for it but from what I saw of the dev videos/streams, it looks up my alley. Can't wait to check it out next year.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I hadn't heard of this game til I saw ACG's review pop up and now I got to have it.

Is any store got a pre order discount or is directly from epic the only way to buy it?

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Most likely picking this up tomorrow. It sounds like they recommend controller over flightstick, and it looks arcadey so that's probably fine.

Quatermain

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like maybe I'm being a dummy, but this says $13.99 for pre-purchase on EGS. Am I missing something with this price?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there a lot of ship models?
No they went with 8 or 9. I spent time 6 of them and 3 a great deal of the time. The game isn't really always about the ship but more the equipment. Its unique. I think for a 30 buck game that number is totally fine just due to the mix your getting.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My review. Rated it a BUy
Probably the most pure fun I have had with a PC game this year. Got some issues but in the end a damned solid replacement to Freelancer and channels that game STRONG.

How would you compare it to Privateer, if you played that way back? I know it's only $30, but I'm hoping it's meaty with its upgrade systems in terms of how you can deck your ship out, etc.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How would you compare it to Privateer, if you played that way back? I know it's only $30, but I'm hoping it's meaty with its upgrade systems in terms of how you can deck your ship out, etc.
Its much like it in feel for sure but its not like flush with upgrades. Per componant spot there are maybe 3-6 depending on what your upgrading and/or trying to balance as your play style. It is in the end a somewhat budget game with a LOT of polish that doesn't try to dive deep into customization but still offers some. I liked it because it didn't dive deep into that but instead offer various very powerful upgrades and ships that could or couldn't use some of them. So if your playstyle switches you can find yourself making some tough decisions on what you want to take along. Also the bar for energy is just great so easy to understand.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Excited for this. I just hope I won't run out of missions since all of them are hand crafted now as opposed to being procedurally generated in the first Rebel Galaxy.
I just want a huge dynamic galaxy to play around in. The story really isn't why I come to these type of games.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Mentions of Freelancer have me very excited. Can't wait to get this after work today.

Oct 26, 2017
Have they said anything about VR support once it leaves EGS exclusivity?

Are the cockpits actually 2D? The visual style of this game reminds me so much of the never-finished Wings of St Nazaire. Here's some gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fPF0umUQok

The cockpits are 3D but not detailed beyond your field of view, so you can't look around. Their artist is the guy from Wings of St Nazaire.

Are there a lot of ship models?
There's a lot of NPC ship models! I think the start of the video you posted the other day showed all the flyable ones.

Last edited: