• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Really excited for Switch version. Any hint if the console versions are hitting this year?

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Freelancer is one of my favourite ever games...

Austin over at Waypoint Radio sounded pretty down on it. It sounds like the game runs out of interesting stuff.

The cool thing about Freelancer was an open world with trading and piracy and emergent stuff married to scripted awesome missions. It sounds like this is heavy on the former and light on the latter, a sort of treadmill to nowhere.

Are there a lot of ship models?
Doesn't sound like it.

Supposedely mouse+KB scheme is not so hot :( Hopefuly it's not that bad, ehh...
This is also a massive bummer.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
No they went with 8 or 9. I spent time 6 of them and 3 a great deal of the time. The game isn't really always about the ship but more the equipment. Its unique. I think for a 30 buck game that number is totally fine just due to the mix your getting.
8 or 9 is great. I was worried cause I only saw the box looking one, the fighter looking one, and the one that looked like a bottle with a cockpit and thrusters taped to the side

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even know this was in development. I enjoyed the original on PS4. Lack of capital ships it's a bummer

Oct 26, 2017
8 or 9 is great. I was worried cause I only saw the box looking one, the fighter looking one, and the one that looked like a bottle with a cockpit and thrusters taped to the side

There's the starter ship and 4 main classes of ship to upgrade to, the final 4 are variations on those, e.g. there's another bottle but with the cockpit taped to a different place and with different stats.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Been looking forward for this for awhile, we don't get enough space combat games! Trying to temper my expectations a little bit - this doesn't have a ton of depth and I shouldn't expect Mass Effect depth of lore - but TIE Fighter is one of my favorite games ever so as long as the flying and shooting is good I think I'll be happy.

Also there are mod tools coming at some point, so we could get more ships from the community.

Last edited:

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
in the end a damned solid replacement to Freelancer and channels that game STRONG.

Nothing else you could say would make me more excited for this game.

To those asking about the preload, the devs have stated on the official Discord that the game would literally not be ready before the last moment, so it's not about the store not doing preloads (though that might also be a separate issue, I don't know about it).

Unfortunately I'll have to wait one more day before I can play it, but I can't wait. It was my most anticipated game for 2019 after Judgment.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

Where is it?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ya there are some...unique designs. Aint gonna lie Spacepig(the Durston) was my fav. It was bulky looked like it should never be in space and yet had weapons mounts everywhere and you can strap extra cargo bays on it. She aint pretty but shes pretty good

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just jumped in to fuck around for a few mins. It's basically a modern Privateer. Now trying to get my fucking bluetooth connection to figure itself out because both mouse control options (relative and virtual joystick) are insufferable.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing to hear m/k is sub-optimal.

I have a 360 pad, but I think I've used it like twice in the last 3 years, lol.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
This game looks so appealing to me, it's like a modern Privateer + Freelancer. I think I'll be buying it...

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok so I finally figured out my controller. I must be rusty as hell cuz I'm getting my shit pushed in left and right, so maybe old school difficulty was a mistake... But MY GOD it feels good to knife fight again in space.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want to buy this game so bad but I'm entirely entranced by Fire Emblem, and September releases are right around the corner.... Decisions!

The Giant Bomb quicklook totally sold me on this, I hosted a Freelancer server in college and had a ton of fun playing out my little space smuggler life. Plus the pool sim in this looks really great!

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how mining in this game works? I've bought a mining laser but I can't crack one of these rocks to save my life

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I'm considering buying this, but is the game mostly 3D space dogfighting and that's it or are there things like mining, trading, outposts, loot etc? I love space games that give you lots to do and get bored if it's just ship battles

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering buying this, but is the game mostly 3D space dogfighting and that's it or are there things like mining, trading, outposts, loot etc? I love space games that give you lots to do and get bored if it's just ship battles

If I got ACG's review right, all of what you're asking for is in there. But better go see for yourself

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With M/K being suboptimal, makes it easier to wait on PS4 version.

Hopefully will come out this year :)

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ya there is for sure a reason it suggests gamepad. I got it working but it never felt say as good as Gamepad did so I switched back.

Does anyone know how mining in this game works? I've bought a mining laser but I can't crack one of these rocks to save my life
Using the mining scanner(need it) then scan in areas where resources are. Find a field on the map go to the field then scan

Missions to run goods, steal goods, mining, trading, and assassinations/bounties

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Got jumped by pirates, died, booted to main menu. Tried to reload save, but it stalls at something like 5% and I have to force close the game.

I really hope I didn't just lose an hour's progress.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017

If you have a PS4, why not plug your PS4 controller into your PC and play it that way? You can even set the buttons to "PS4 Buttons" in the game options.

Also, all you guys without a good controller plugged into your PC at all times are leaving a lot of great gaming options on the floor.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
I like a tighter story line but does Outlaw still retain the open-ended style of the first game? Basically is it sort of Freelancer-esque with linear story where you can diverge from into open-ended content when you want?

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you have a PS4, why not plug your PS4 controller into your PC and play it that way? You can even set the buttons to "PS4 Buttons" in the game options.

Also, all you guys without a good controller plugged into your PC at all times are leaving a lot of great gaming options on the floor.
Given my setup, I strictly play M/KB on pc.
And it's fine frankly.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If past experiences with Observation and Outer Wilds on EGS are correct, I'm guessing your save games are gone :(

Why would EGS determine this? It isn't like they are even hooked into the games beyond launching, and those games all have different engines.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017

I did check that option and I'm also using DS4Windows but I just cannot find a gamepad control scheme...

There seem to only be presets for flight sticks and m+k. When I'm using the Dualshock square is confirm and L2 is back/cancel. This can't be right. Am I missing something or did someone get it to work?