• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did check that option and I'm also using DS4Windows but I just cannot find a gamepad control scheme...

There seem to only be presets for flight sticks and m+k. When I'm using the Dualshock square is confirm and L2 is back/cancel. This can't be right. Am I missing something or did someone get it to work?

Turn on exclusive mode in DS4windows probably. Some games / programs think your DS4 and Xbox 360 emulation are two different controllers (and very few games have native Dinput support, which DS4 is). Exclusive mode kills the DS4's Dinput from running, so it'll only read the 360 emulaiton.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I'll be relying on this thread heavily I think, for impressions. Normally I'd keep an eye on reviews but that's not going to be an option with Epic I guess, unless I use Metacritic or something?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be relying on this thread heavily I think, for impressions. Normally I'd keep an eye on reviews but that's not going to be an option with Epic I guess, unless I use Metacritic or something?

It's a PC focused space game, this shit ain't getting a metacritic for at least a week.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017

That's probably fair - the actual reviews look like the 7 to 8 range, with everyone seeming to agree the game is fun, but maybe over stays its welcome with a long story that might be a little "too" long, and a lack of variety in missions (which is sort of a problem all these kinds of games have). I only played for half an hour and I had a really good time with it, so I think even if you don't play the story all the way through, it's certainly worth thirty bucks.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Anyone know where settings are saved, for things like video/resolution...etc? They're not in the games menu.
Scratch that: It's in Documents/My Games/Double Damage Games/RebelGalaxyOutlaw from the looks of things.

does it have ultrawide support?
I can confirm it does. Running it at 3440x1440 :)

Last edited:

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Turn on exclusive mode in DS4windows probably. Some games / programs think your DS4 and Xbox 360 emulation are two different controllers (and very few games have native Dinput support, which DS4 is). Exclusive mode kills the DS4's Dinput from running, so it'll only read the 360 emulaiton.

Thanks, that did the trick. You have to check 'Hide DS4 Controller' under the setting tab in DS4Windows. Works like a charm now.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
This game has a full on 3D Photoshop for editing ships textures, this is insane.

It's inconceivable, wtf. This is amazing!

Deleted member 21665

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I already asked for a refund, what a mess of a game. Controls terribly either with controller or kb/m and looks like pixellated garbage when you're flying around - are they trying to do a 8/16 bit look or something? Almost no tutorial at all, I died flying to the first mission, no idea why or what any of the controls were. $30 is way too much to be asking for this game.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Excited to try this out later! Seems like it'd be a good fit for Switch but no way I'm gonna wait that long. The ship customization tool sounds way too intimidating for me, but my gf does some graphic design so maybe I'll see if she can figure it out.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
This game is amazing. I love it! Plus it looks amazing in 21:9.

Still early but here's a couple of gifs of it in action...
bWFKAz6.gif

8npGL9M.gif

sYehJ75.gif

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know where settings are saved, for things like video/resolution...etc? They're not in the games menu.
Scratch that: It's in Documents/My Games/Double Damage Games/RebelGalaxyOutlaw from the looks of things.

I can confirm it does. Running it at 3440x1440 :)
Do you know if it supports 5120x1440?

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I already asked for a refund, what a mess of a game. Controls terribly either with controller or kb/m and looks like pixellated garbage when you're flying around - are they trying to do a 8/16 bit look or something? Almost no tutorial at all, I died flying to the first mission, no idea why or what any of the controls were. $30 is way too much to be asking for this game.
Uhhh.... the gifs above my post indicate otherwise. This is very trollish.

Deleted member 21665

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uhhh.... the gifs above my post indicate otherwise. This is very trollish.

Uhhhh..not really. It's my opinion but because you don't agree it's a troll. The first gif is a cut scene and the textures look like ass, the second gif is a third person view which is nigh on impossible to control and the third gif the viewport is about a quarter of the screen and can you even tell what he's shooting?

The sense of scale seems totally off in this game too, everything outside the ship seems too small. I recently started playing through the original again and its just a better game, it even looks better somehow. Why are all the stars in this game so blue, it looks bizarre.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else having issues with the sound volume?

The music is super loud but then dialogue is super low. It's almost like if the game was using surround sound system even if my PC is setup in 2.0... I'm playing around with the three volume sliders to try to find a good balance but it's all weird.

Last edited:

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Anybody else having issues with the sound volume?

The music is super loud but then dialogue is super low. It's almost like if the game was using surround sound system even if my PC is setup in 2.0... I'm playing around with the three volume sliders to try to find a good balance but it's all weird.

I have awful distortion on the left channel on cockpit view when firing weapons. It's really loud and distracting.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First story mission seems to be bugged about 2 or 3 steps in. The mission where you intercept cargo...

When you intercept the cargo with Richter. First the enemies stopped spawning and I couldn't progress through radio or shooting the transport. Second attempt I destroyed all the enemy ships, and the transport released its cargo. It told me to blow it up to recover, I did and nothing happened. Tried radioing Richter and flying around a ton but no response, and no way point. I flew away and got a mission failed message.

Edit. When I reloaded my last save the mission was strangely complete, with the next step in my mission log. Weird.

Last edited:

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
First story mission seems to be bugged about 2 or 3 steps in. The mission where you intercept cargo...

When you intercept the cargo with Richter. First the enemies stopped spawning and I couldn't progress through radio or shooting the transport. Second attempt I destroyed all the enemy ships, and the transport released its cargo. It told me to blow it up to recover, I did and nothing happened. Tried radioing Richter and flying around a ton but no response, and no way point. I flew away and got a mission failed message.

Edit. When I released my last save the mission was strangely complete, with the next step in my mission log. Weird.

Hmm, I just ran that mission and had no issues. You make sure to do a scan after blowing up the cargo pods on that second attempt?

edit: well, at least it resolved itself

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I just ran that mission and had no issues. You make sure to do a scan after blowing up the cargo pods on that second attempt?

edit: well, at least it resolved itself
No idea how to do a scan, and the game never prompted me to do so.

And I was wrong, it actually took me a whole step back and I had to have the conversation in the bar again.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
No idea how to do a scan, and the game never prompted me to do so.

And I was wrong, it actually took me a whole step back and I had to have the conversation in the bar again.

Pull up the radial menu (Y on Xbox controller) and the scan option should be the left-most icon. Should highlight any tractor-able items in the immediate area.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pull up the radial menu (Y on Xbox controller) and the scan option should be the left-most icon. Should highlight any tractor-able items in the immediate area.
Huh, thanks. I guess I missed that, had no idea this was a thing.

Edit passed no problem this time. Went ahead and bought another gun too and made quick work of the fighters.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I really want to love this game, but all the skipping over autopilot stuff and the skipping landings, all that makes the game look like an empty menu system that just delivers you directly to the content and the fighting is OK but not great, if this is space it feels small. The music is amazing though.

I did love that old MS game Privateer(?) or whatever it's called, and I loved Elite Dangerous, but this feels too watered down somehow.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to love this game, but all the skipping over autopilot stuff and the skipping landings, all that makes the game look like an empty menu system that just delivers you directly to the content and the fighting is OK but not great, if this is space it feels small. The music is amazing though.

I did love that old MS game Privateer(?) or whatever it's called, and I loved Elite Dangerous, but this feels too watered down somehow.

Sadly this is how I felt. I called it just before the two hour mark so I could return it. It just didn't click with me at all.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah I'm feeling the same way. I don't think I played for longer than two hours but I did idle on the menu trying to figure out that glitched mission. Shame, I really wanted to like this.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
After playing a bit I've gotten used to kb/m, it's not as bad as people are making it out to be imo.

One key thing that REALLY helps it is to go into the settings menu (settings, not controls) and put mouse controls to "relative" rather then simulated joystick. What this does is allow your mouse movement to ONLY move when you move the mouse and stops it from moving if you stop the mouse. Which makes using mouse to aim a lot easier and normal feeling.

The only thing I can't figure out now is how to turn off the bloody autopilot tip/sound, like ok I get it, I can hold f to autopilot, I don't need a damn beep everytime I look at a waypoint to remind me.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
So in the cargo ship intercept mission, how are people surviving? I'm getting destroyed, although the only upgrades I have is a second laser cannon, an power generator, and the tractor beam.

Are people buying new ships before going there, or is there something I'm missing. The game suggests radioing the enemies but they all tell me to piss off.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017

Freelancer right? I was hoping this game was a spiritual successor, but from your impressions it doesn't seem like it. How is the story? Is there even a story worth following?

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I had to get a refund.
The game is boring and frustrating and the music is fucking AWFUL. The main voice actor is terrible.
I wanted to like it.. it's just not for me.
Have fun.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Freelancer right? I was hoping this game was a spiritual successor, but from your impressions it doesn't seem like it. How is the story? Is there even a story worth following?

Yes! Thats the one!
The story... it's there, I just wanted to pick up random missions so I haven't done too many story missions(5) nothing grabbing me yet though.

PeterVenkman and Baconmonk, yea I got about 2 or more hours in, and it just feels like a husk of what it should be, even as a budget title this feels weak. I was hyping this one up so much though, I'm going to keep playing it hoping it clicks.

We can only hope that in future updates they fix things, but I don't know the issues I have with the game are inherent to it's design. Some of the mission types are dull, but thats true for Elite Dangerous, but at least with ED you have a deep flight model that keeps things interesting.

It might just be me, but even with afterburners this doesn't seem to have a great feeling of momentum. The momentum is further hurt by the "autopilot" with the generic skippable scenes, it creates a weird disconnect.

Damn space is chocked full of distressed people!

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Didn't expect this game to get this little attention on ERA and what attention there is to be this negative.

Been watching Cohh play this for past week and game seems to be very solid AA space game with good focus and execution on what it wants to do.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I did check that option and I'm also using DS4Windows but I just cannot find a gamepad control scheme...

There seem to only be presets for flight sticks and m+k. When I'm using the Dualshock square is confirm and L2 is back/cancel. This can't be right. Am I missing something or did someone get it to work?
You can use Steam Input for PC, for Epic Games Store you have to use the launcher as the steam shortcut to get Steam Input to work in the game.

And more tips on steam input if you aren't aware. It's awesome especially for Dual Shock 4 since you can make use of the gyro and touch pad, and obviously for steam controller.
www.resetera.com

Steam Input Thread | Comfy Couch Would Be Perfect On PC

SteamWorks Documentation on Steam Input is available here This thread aims to be a resource for understanding Steam Input - the umbrella term referring to the entire collection of software, hardware, and configuration utilities that Steam uses to interface with games. Valve's Steam Controller...

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can use Steam Input for PC, for Epic Games Store you have to use the launcher as the steam shortcut to get Steam Input to work in the game.
This is suboptimal, especially if you have multiple games in a different launcher.

GloSC or OSOL are better solutions as you can use Steam Input on a per-game basis.

Plus from some testing, some EGS games just work by adding the game's exe. It's a complete crapshoot over whether GloSC, OSOL or the exe works, however. You just need to do some testing.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I keep on just running missions and buying better and better equipment... I haven't even done the story missions yet. I should probably get on that tonight.

Getting some serious Freelancer vibes from the game though, I'm playing with a Controller and I feel like third person is perfectly viable but there's something about the confinement of the cockpit view which fits the aesthetic so well.

It's a shame the game isn't resonating with many people and that it's KB/M controls don't seem great. I switched to Controller pretty early on when I looked at the key binds and realised you could do all that on a controller pretty easily.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I keep on just running missions and buying better and better equipment... I haven't even done the story missions yet. I should probably get on that tonight.

Getting some serious Freelancer vibes from the game though, I'm playing with a Controller and I feel like third person is perfectly viable but there's something about the confinement of the cockpit view which fits the aesthetic so well.

It's a shame the game isn't resonating with many people and that it's KB/M controls don't seem great. I switched to Controller pretty early on when I looked at the key binds and realised you could do all that on a controller pretty easily.

Tip: Hold down B while flying forward ;)

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Wait... what does that do? Fuck! I tap B to slow down, and tap A to speed up.

Holding B kills the engine while maintaining momentum. So for e.g. you can kill the engine by holding B, then rotate 90 degrees to left, nuke shit out of large ship, rotate 90 degrees to right and resume engines at power and speed they were at by releasing B.