• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Having played the game for the last 3 hours last night and the game just feels like it's in Early Access, especially for newcomers following the story. It the most disappointed I been in a while, and because of stuff like Game Pass I am hesitant to pay for new games these days.

Planning to do some upgrades to my ship to see if that improves the game, I am too late to refund the game due hours played.

PS. How easy is it to refund games on EGS for future reference.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Sadly I'm one of the few in this thread that were really looking forward to the game but didn't actually like it once I bought it. Refunded before the two hour window was up.

Maybe I'll return to it if there are significant updates.

Redria

Oct 28, 2017
Slightly disappointed in this, just feels like everything could have used a tad more polish to it. Amazing how there isn't even any kind of small tutorial to get to grips with some of the more advanced ship controls, you just kinda have to wing it and constantly bring up the controls menu to see what the heck that one button is to do what you want.

Had a few missions bug out too requiring a restart which isn't encouraging considering I've only done about 5 of them.

I probably would have refunded it but I think I'm past the two hour mark, I have no idea how to check if that is actually the case or not. So far I'm not doing too well on these Epic launcher exclusives, both this and Shakedown Miami didn't come close to my expectations.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This is suboptimal, especially if you have multiple games in a different launcher.

GloSC or OSOL are better solutions as you can use Steam Input on a per-game basis.

Plus from some testing, some EGS games just work by adding the game's exe. It's a complete crapshoot over whether GloSC, OSOL or the exe works, however. You just need to do some testing.
I only use GloSC when Steam Input absolutely won't work with a game. With GloSC you can't use the steam overlay features like Touch Menu, the controller is just a xinput controller in that mode. Likewise, if a EGS game can launch without the app I'd just link it to steam without using the "EGS Steam Controller" Steam Library link method. I haven't gotten this game so I didn't know if it required EGS running, or if it would work just by launching it's EXE from Steam link.
---------------------------------------------

A few minutes ago my darn steam controller's right bumper broke during a game where I couldn't pause. I really love this controller, and nothing out there is like it other than a PS4 controller at best, but this thing has lots of problems. Yet another thing I will have to try to fix/rig. I really should just get accustomed to mouse and keyboard even if I find it uncomfortable.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Holding B kills the engine while maintaining momentum. So for e.g. you can kill the engine by holding B, then rotate 90 degrees to left, nuke shit out of large ship, rotate 90 degrees to right and resume engines at power and speed they were at by releasing B.
Oh that's awesome! So I can kill engines moving forward, spin 180 and fire behind me, while continuing in the direction I was going when I killed my engines... that is fucking awesome.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
Nice OT! =)
What difficulty should I play on if I like some challenge, but not too hardcore? Veteran? After FE: Three Houses I regret playing on normal, but I also don't want to suffer while learning the game.

edit: Regarding notes. Can I mark them on my map? The sector map is not detailed enough to show for example, quadrant E-11. What am I missing here? edit2: For anyone wondering you hold Y while in space and then go to "Local Map" from the radial menu. I still wonder if notes are marked on the local map or not. Wish this game had a tutorial. :P

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's okay but a bit unwieldy.
You need to go to their support site and request a refund there. At some point they will send you and E-Mail and you have to respond to it. After that you'll get the refund.
It's Steam rules, so 14 days and 2 hours of playtime are your limit for refunds

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
So I have a note that says something is stashed near the E-11 quadrant of texas. What am I looking for here? I'm right there. https://imgur.com/a/9QTuS7r Does "near" mean it can be in any squares around me? Does said stash show up on the radar?
I apologize for all these questions but I can't find any info online.

edit: Okay so you bring up the radial menu with Y and select "Scan Area" when near a stash. I found some containers that said "break to get items", but I'm unsure if I got anything. Maybe I need a tractor beam or something?

Anyone know if there's a tutorial somewhere in the game, or online?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I watched a video of the game and what is up with the music? Maybe that guy had a weird set-up or something but he just started from a space station and really loud action/rock music started blaring even tho nothing was happening. Didn't the first game have a pretty cool system where the music would dynamically change when you enter combat? Are there any options to adjust that? I still really want to be excited for this game but everything I see and read sounds just super not what I was looking for, which is basically a new Freelancer.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only use GloSC when Steam Input absolutely won't work with a game. With GloSC you can't use the steam overlay features like Touch Menu, the controller is just a xinput controller in that mode. Likewise, if a EGS game can launch without the app I'd just link it to steam without using the "EGS Steam Controller" Steam Library link method. I haven't gotten this game so I didn't know if it required EGS running, or if it would work just by launching it's EXE from Steam link.
Maybe you should give OSOL a try. It was originally designed for Origin games, to get the Steam overlay working with them. It's evolved to support most launchers now.

It works by launching the exe up front and the game's launcher in the background. When the game quits, the launcher closes too, creating a seamless experience.

It's a bit more fiddly to initially setup than GloSC, and some launchers require editing an ini file, but it works with most games and enables the overlay and Steam Input in them.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I decided to hold off on the game for now. This went from one of my most anticipated to wait and see after reading a lot of impressions. Think after a few updates or even the Steam release will be the time to buy.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017

This is the first time i got a refund with Epic - took less than a day and only a few back-and-forth emails to get it done. that said, there's no play time counter so I pretty much just had to eyeball it based on when I got the purchase email.

Maybe after more updates I'll consider jumping back in, but it's just too hollow. I don't want to watch a cutscene to land my ship, i want to land my ship myself. Same for taking off. I also need a tutorial and was shocked that there wasn't one. Elite wound up being hollow for me too, but in a different way.

Even the ship painter disappointed. for how "deep" it is, it was incredibly easy to inadvertently paint the wrong part of your ship. Because you're UV painting, it's just too easy to paint the front of your ship and also paint the back at the same time - and this wasn't something you could just fix with an erase. Given how the ships are unwrapped, you're just always staring down strange, errant color blocks. It desperately needs a faster method of interaction - like a brush that only paints a segment or a section, instead of having edges. Unfortunately the paint fill bucket only paints the whole ship. And since the edit module is standalone, it kicks me out of the game onto a tiny window (if I'm running below my monitor's native res, which I am because it's a 4k tv). It needs scaling options to even be usable for me.

In short - the editor has some strong tools for people with a ton of time and knowledge to make cool designs, but it's completely lacking in fast tools for people to make quick, serviceable designs so they can get back to playing the game.

Last edited:

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What ship upgrades do y'all recommend to start out with?
I basically grabbed a mass driver to shoot down lone wolf pirates, then afterburners. Best course of action is to keep to low profile missions until you kit yourself with tier 1s across the board, and avoid the fuck out of engaging more than one enemy at a time for now.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
I basically grabbed a mass driver to shoot down lone wolf pirates, then afterburners. Best course of action is to keep to low profile missions until you kit yourself with tier 1s across the board, and avoid the fuck out of engaging more than one enemy at a time for now.
Thanks for the reply! Should I have two mass drivers or just one?
I got the tractor beam and a hull upgrade first, and now going for the afterburner, per your advice.
Is the mining laser useful?

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the reply! Should I have two mass drivers or just one? What would you use in the second slot?
I got the tractor beam first, and a hull upgrade, but going for the afterburners thanks to you.
I'm going to assume you did the accelerated start, so just keep buying what you can. Afterburners are critical however.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to assume you did the accelerated start, so just keep buying what you can. Afterburners are critical however.
Aye I did. Roger. Thanks a lot! :)

I'm just not very fun with all these questions, but what I'm wondering is how you bring people in alive? I've got a tractor beam.
edit: I found out! To bring people with you alive, shoot their ship and then find them on the "Targeting" map. Put a way point on them then get close and press "A" (Xbox) to tractor.

Last edited:

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Played for about 25 minutes last night - just tooled around the starting area and got the hang of the controls. It's pretty impressive how closely they've mapped a fairly complex TIE Fighter-esque control scheme to a gamepad. Headed towards the first mission but got distracted by a distress call from a damaged freighter. Ended up being an ambush and I got killed pretty quickly by a couple of fighters. Playing on veteran so the starting weapons are pretty useless.
Haven't played enough to have a complete verdict, but I like everything so far, the ship designs are really cool.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
It's me! Yes, me with another question! ;)

How do I empty my hold? Got this pilot on me but I want contraband instead. Looked in the radial menu but nothing there.
Is he my space buddy now?

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I miss a lot games like Tie Fighter or X-Wing, this game definitely got my attention but I don't have a PC to play it at the moment unfortunately. I really like the artstyle so far.
I think this game will be perfect on the Switch for short sessions on the go (+ a pool game for switch :P) I just wish we have an ETA for the console version.
I also wonder if they will be able to deliver 60fps on the Switch, did they mention a possible release date for the console version?

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
No release date. They said they'd like to get it out this year but it depends on the certification process and stuff. The game doesn't seem too performance intensive so I'm hoping it'll run well on Switch.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
I asked for a refund. Could hardly make anything out of the cockpit, what a strange design decision..

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Starting ship doesn't have great visibility, but I think the later ones are better. I wish you could look around in the cockpit though.

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
I've played an hour and am loving it so far. Having said that, I adore Privateer and the game's structure is nigh-on identical to that game, so I was feeling comfortable after 15 minutes.

Wouldn't want to play this without a pad, though. And the game does not do a good job of teaching new players how to fly, fight, etc.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
There's seriously something wrong with the sound... I now have the sound effects down to 5% in game and they are still too loud and drowning the video I'm trying to watch on my second monitor.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
There's seriously something wrong with the sound... I now have the sound effects down to 5% in game and they are still too loud and drowning the video I'm trying to watch on my second monitor.
Thankfully you can mute the shitty music all together but yeah it's absolutely fucked cause I have chromes volume way higher than the game yet I can hardly hear anything.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I get this issue a lot on Windows 10 with games. Try downloading Ear Trumpet from the windows store and adjust the volume with it instead.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
So I picked up a pilot and some contraband with the tractor beam, but my Cargo Hold doesn't show it.
https://imgur.com/a/3Hd7UF
Can only see my other items. No contraband, no pilot.

What am I doing wrong? I just got stopped by a space cop and they found contraband. I can't find it in my Hold though.

Stolen freight is contraband right? Then the only thing not showing is pilots

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Played a few more missions last night - really getting sucked into the game. Definitely wish there were more tutorials though.
Has anyone messed around with adjusting power levels between weapons, shields and engines? Obviously when you put more power to engines it increases your top speed, but I'm not sure what happens when you do it to shields or weapons as there is no obvious visual indicator.. Guessing it either increases the recharge rate of the shields, or their strength. And it must make the lasers more powerful? Doesn't seem to affect the fire rate.

Tomhan

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, MD
I played about 4 hours yesterday and as has been said before the lack of tutorial makes for a rough first hour or two. If you have the patience to learn the systems though the game is really rewarding, everything clicked for me around the second hour and now I'm hooked.

Using the radial menu to bring up the targeting menu is a must and should be used to target every enemy and can be used to track down cargo. Get the tractor beam as soon as possible so you can pick up cargo when you destroy ships/containers. Learn what is in the radial menu and what is on the PDA, I was lost for a while on how to drop cargo until I found it in the PDA menu.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I played about 4 hours yesterday and as has been said before the lack of tutorial makes for a rough first hour or two. If you have the patience to learn the systems though the game is really rewarding, everything clicked for me around the second hour and now I'm hooked.

Completely agree - haven't seen a lot of buzz around this game, though it's getting decent reviews, hopefully it sells well so the developer will continue supporting the game and this genre! It's clearly made with a lot of love by a very small team. I feel like it could do well when it comes to Switch and PS4.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
Ok, what the hell is up with this Sandar guy? Once he switches to hostile I'm getting blown to bits. Is the game telling me that I should grind a better ship (still using the platypus, though upgraded almost every system) or am I missing something?

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Might see if I can map things to my Thrustmaster tonight.. I mostly like using gamepad but I'm having trouble getting used to rolling with the right stick - just doesn't feel natural to me. Played TIE fighter a little while ago and mapped it to the twist (Z-axis?) on the stick and it worked really well.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, what the hell is up with this Sandar guy? Once he switches to hostile I'm getting blown to bits. Is the game telling me that I should grind a better ship (still using the platypus, though upgraded almost every system) or am I missing something?

Yes. I personally couldn't get him down until I was flying a Sonora loaded with Tracers and an Auto-cannon.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
So if you guys pick up a Pilot and check your hold PDA, does he show up there? I've figured most things out but not this.

Furthermore, when you do transfer power shields and vice versa?