• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
Someone told me to get ECM missiles for my ship upgrades. I can't find these though. Am I dumb or are they sold somewhere else / called something else?
ECM is a defensive system that shoots down missiles. The more you learn! ^-^

Last edited:

Quatermain

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone have some good tips for beginners?

I'm really trying to get into this game, but the fact that this is my first foray into the genre plus the lack of tutorials is really stacking the odds against me.

Starting tips

Unmoses

Mar 22, 2018
Anyone have some good tips for beginners?

I'm really trying to get into this game, but the fact that this is my first foray into the genre plus the lack of tutorials is really stacking the odds against me.

So I went through the same tribulations. A couple of things that helped me out-

- Y-button -> gives you a radial menu for things such as system map, galaxy map, system scan, and power transfer
- Missions: picked up some easy side missions, hypered to "scouting zones".. made some money, upgraded some systems
- Very early, distress calls are rather difficult. I didn't start trying them until I got my sea legs for how the weapon systems worked
- I have talked my way out of a few encounters (on xbox controller, it's the 2 square button to the lower left of the power button), you can select "let's talk this through" or something
- buying a tractor beam at a station (component section) gave me more money making opportunities by picking up ejected pilots, cargo, etc. Eventually you'll have to get a tractor beam for a story mission, I picked one up early
- If you are overwhelmed, you can set power to engines and then find a waypoint / another mission to jump to quickly

Not sure if these help, but basically it's a "find easier missions, with easier deliveries / kills" to make money to upgrade your ship to do harder missions.

So far, I'm really enjoying it after getting a feel. Definitely a 1-2 hour in jump in understanding really helps

Quatermain

Oct 29, 2017
So I went through the same tribulations. A couple of things that helped me out-

- Y-button -> gives you a radial menu for things such as system map, galaxy map, system scan, and power transfer
- Missions: picked up some easy side missions, hypered to "scouting zones".. made some money, upgraded some systems
- Very early, distress calls are rather difficult. I didn't start trying them until I got my sea legs for how the weapon systems worked
- I have talked my way out of a few encounters (on xbox controller, it's the 2 square button to the lower left of the power button), you can select "let's talk this through" or something
- buying a tractor beam at a station (component section) gave me more money making opportunities by picking up ejected pilots, cargo, etc. Eventually you'll have to get a tractor beam for a story mission, I picked one up early
- If you are overwhelmed, you can set power to engines and then find a waypoint / another mission to jump to quickly

Not sure if these help, but basically it's a "find easier missions, with easier deliveries / kills" to make money to upgrade your ship to do harder missions.

So far, I'm really enjoying it after getting a feel. Definitely a 1-2 hour in jump in understanding really helps

Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to type these up.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
How do you sell illegal goods? I have still not seen any marketplaces that accepts them
I wonder this as well. I had a bartender mention something about outposts not being guarded as much. Maybe do more pirate missions?

edit: I wonder what upgrades to get to die less. I have a hull upgrade, 2 mass drivers, cheapest ECM, tractor beam, mining laser and mining subsystem. Am I missing any upgrades? Is afterburners the way to go? What would you get next?

Last edited:

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
I wonder this as well. I had a bartender mention something about outposts not being guarded as much. Maybe do more pirate missions?

edit: I wonder what upgrades to get to die less. I have a hull upgrade, 2 mass drivers, cheapest ECM, tractor beam, mining laser and mining subsystem. Am I missing any upgrades? Is afterburners the way to go? What would you get next?

I managed to get a SandHawk with 2 combat lasers, 2 auto guns, shield 2, generator 2 and the second level hull, whatever it's called. No ECM (yet) but most of the times I'm pretty good at destroying whatever comes my way.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
I managed to get a SandHawk with 2 combat lasers, 2 auto guns, shield 2, generator 2 and the second level hull, whatever it's called. No ECM (yet) but most of the times I'm pretty good at destroying whatever comes my way.
Cool! Sounds like an awesome ship!
Did you sell your old equipment manually or did you just trade in the Platypus?

I learned the following from reddit user iserbezov
iserbezov said:
"2 gauss guns upgraded to 2 trions is the bear minimum.

Afterburner with powerplant is mandatory. It allows you to evade efficiently and complete patrol and scout missions without firing a shot.

Bind power to shield. It is a gamechanger. Also redirect some power to weapons so that you can shoot longer. Hit full power on engines and escape if you are overwhelmed. "

After following this advice I can now do challenging missions without problem.

edit: Transfering power to shields is the shit! I don't understand what power I'm trading though, but it works super-well!.

Last edited:

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I had a really negative impression of this game at first, but I'm kind of into it now. Part of that is accepting that it's not going to live up to the expectations I have based on the love I have for the old space combat sims of the 90s, but that's okay, it's still good fun. Additionally, just learning its systems makes it so much more engaging and that's on the game for not telling you much of anything.

I will say that combat has become a lot more fun and less frustrating since I found the divert power to shields function. Suddenly, I'm survivable in a scrap. (This is distinct from rebalancing between the three systems: it's an option at four o'clock on your radial menu and takes power from the pool that feeds your energy weapons, afterburner, etc. and uses it to instantly get your shields back up to full strength.)

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
...I will say that combat has become a lot more fun and less frustrating since I found the divert power to shields function. Suddenly, I'm survivable in a scrap. (This is distinct from rebalancing between the three systems: it's an option at four o'clock on your radial menu and takes power from the pool that feeds your energy weapons, afterburner, etc. and uses it to instantly get your shields back up to full strength.)

Right? It's so strong! Where do I see how much power I have / how much power I'm using though? Having a hard time reading the UI.
Also, do you know where to sell contraband / stolen stuff?

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Right? It's so strong! Where do I see how much power I have / how much power I'm using though? Having a hard time reading the UI.
If you're in cockpit view, it depends on your ship type. There's a meter that's depleted (depending on the strength of your power plant) when you use anything that takes energy.

In the starter ship, it's this "P" meter to the right of the radar next to the fuel gauge.

Also, do you know where to sell contraband / stolen stuff?
I haven't had a chance to do it myself personally, but my instinct tells me it's probably in lawless systems/pirate bases. The starter systems are relatively lawful and the stations you can land at are above board.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There are stations with a black market to sell contraband to. They are a few jumps away and the main story brings you to the system. Thats when I was able to make some real money.

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
If you're in cockpit view, it depends on your ship type. There's a meter that's depleted (depending on the strength of your power plant) when you use anything that takes energy.

In the starter ship, it's this "P" meter to the right of the radar next to the fuel gauge.

I haven't had a chance to do it myself personally, but my instinct tells me it's probably in lawless systems/pirate bases. The starter systems are relatively lawful and the stations you can land at are above board.
Thanks so much for the in depth reply! This will come in handy! Makes sense that pirates would be in their own area.

Wonder if I should get a warp drive and explore the other places.

From one thing to the other; did you upgrade your missiles by any chance? They all have their pros and cons, and I wonder which one to get. Imrec seems nice but has a 8s cooldown. Swarm seems like the obvious choice but is expensive.

I really wish this game had a tutorial and or a training grounds type of area where you could try different weapons/afterburners etc out.

Question to everyone: What ship was your first upgrade after the Platypus? Thinking the sexy Sandhawk, but ol' Sonora has a turret. Decisions, decisions...

(I'm just all over the place but so excited for this game. Sorry for all the questions)

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
From one thing to the other; did you upgrade your missiles by any chance? They all have their pros and cons, and I wonder which one to get. Imrec seems nice but has a 8s cooldown. Swarm seems like the obvious choice but is expensive.
I did! I just started using the swarm at the end of my session last night, but haven't got a good read on it yet, though. It looks cool, though, regardless, which is a solid mark in its favor already.

Edit: Question I have is, does anybody know how good the joystick controls are? I know Double Damage has repeatedly stressed how built the game is for a controller, which I'm currently using, but I really am jonesing to get my old T.Flight from the closet and give that a try, especially as I think I could map shortcuts for a lot of the operations that you currently have to do in a menu (as well as having more options for target selection).

Last edited:

cevion

Oct 26, 2017
I did! I just started using the swarm at the end of my session last night, but haven't got a good read on it yet, though. It looks cool, though, regardless, which is a solid mark in its favor already.

Awesome! One last question if you don't mind; should I upgrade my ship before I buy more expensive upgrades? Or can I transfer said upgrades to the new ship? I should be able to - right, just want to check before wasting all my money.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Opinion seems really mixed on this game and the OT isn't very busy. How is the game now that some have played it quite a bit? I love space games with combat/mining/trading etc abs this LOOKS really good.
Seems like the lack of tutorials and repetitiveness are the main negatives? I'm willing to look past those of the game is great otherwise.
Is there a lot of content or is this a 10-20 hour and you're done thing

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome! One last question if you don't mind; should I upgrade my ship before I buy more expensive upgrades? Or can I transfer said upgrades to the new ship? I should be able to - right, just want to check before wasting all my money.
I upgraded to the Sandhawk and I'm pretty sure no components got left behind. So if you feel the progression is easier if you get better armor or shields before earning enough for a new ship, go for it.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
Not sure if common knowledge but be sure to check the commodities every time you land. There are cases when they sell something bloody cheap and you can sell it with huge profit just a system away. Last time I've bought yikyaks for ~450 each and sold them for almost 3.000 each.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Redirecting power can be pretty useful - did an exploration mission yesterday and five fighters started coming towards me as soon as I dropped out of hyperspace. Dumped everything to engines and turned on the afterburner and got out of there before they got close enough to even scratched me.

Does anyone else avoid the autopilot? I find it a lot more immersive to manually jump.

Seems like the lack of tutorials and repetitiveness are the main negatives? I'm willing to look past those of the game is great otherwise.
Is there a lot of content or is this a 10-20 hour and you're done thing

From what I've heard 20 something hours is the minimum, there are a lot of side missions. Personally I love the game so far, I think you should give it a shot.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Redirecting power can be pretty useful - did an exploration mission yesterday and five fighters started coming towards me as soon as I dropped out of hyperspace. Dumped everything to engines and turned on the afterburner and got out of there before they got close enough to even scratched me.

Does anyone else avoid the autopilot? I find it a lot more immersive to manually jump.

From what I've heard 20 something hours is the minimum, there are a lot of side missions. Personally I love the game so far, I think you should give it a shot.

Cool thanks. I think the game looks great personally so I think I'm going to take the plunge :)

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm looking to upgrade my platypus. check out what's on offer, and see the "Ship paint" option. I think "Cool, I can change the color of my ship and maybe add some decals, neat!"

I Select the option and...
ECG0I3UUEAAIb9n.jpg%3Alarge

It's fucking photoshop in here.

ECG2Az2UEAEFS0X.jpg%3Alarge

There's a God-damned Brush Engine.

The dev team is Insane, and I love them.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
What's the best way to reduce your wanted level? I feel like I missed a tooltip or something.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You can just wait and your wanted level decreases over time, or use the in ship communicator to talk to police and try to calm them down.

Redria

Oct 28, 2017
As I've played more I've warmed up to it after my dreadful early impressions, the game just doesn't really do a good job of introducing you to all the different systems and controls. I keep getting flashbacks to the Star Wars Galaxies expansion Jump to Light speed when fighting freights and stuff like that, god that was a great expansion.

Funnily enough I've been enjoying the game in the most boring way, going out and mining while listening to music on Spotify. Using the garbage hauler has been holding me back though with its pitiful cargo hold, once I upgrade ship I should be raking in the cash.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
Will there be more ship types / equipment later in the game? I have a shitload of money from mining / trading and nothing to spend them on.
Also, what causes the turrets to shoot on their own or not? In fights they seem to be shooting always, and also sometimes when mining but always...

Oct 25, 2017
Quick heads up:

Like the soundtrack? It's all there in the game folders, unencrypted, as OGG files. Even the Commercials. :)

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Where can I sell contraband? Picked up some narco cola from a pirate I killed, haven't found anywhere to sell it in the Texas system though.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
So I'm looking to upgrade my platypus. check out what's on offer, and see the "Ship paint" option. I think "Cool, I can change the color of my ship and maybe add some decals, neat!"

I Select the option and...
ECG0I3UUEAAIb9n.jpg%3Alarge

It's fucking photoshop in here.

ECG2Az2UEAEFS0X.jpg%3Alarge

There's a God-damned Brush Engine.

The dev team is Insane, and I love them.
How did you get it to just show the UVs like in your second image? I added some decals to my ship but couldn't find a direct way to paint onto the UVs which is my prefered way of doing it, rather than onto the 3D model of the ship.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The game was very fun.... but now story missions don't pop up anymore, while they used to come regularly...
i feel like there's time gating (if that's the proper term)... i don't really want to do useless things waiting for a mission to pop up since i am very rich and very lawful, it's been 2 hours already since the last mission poped up... so i guess i'll call it quits.
I helped mom
I dumped my husband which has me be shown a logo of the game
I finished all the friends missions available (leveled the competition playfield, got a trophy for a friend, collected few bounties, destroyed "ears"...)

edit:
i browsed through the reddit, that's it, i finished the thing, god was that anticlimatic...
So, no time gating, just crash ending, a logo and you continue business as usual.

Last edited:

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
So I just took this for a quick spin, and after some menus very reminiscent of Freelancer I found myself in space with no idea what does what, where I'm going, or what I'm doing.

I don't know if I have the patience to trial an error my way through this.

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
So I just took this for a quick spin, and after some menus very reminiscent of Freelancer I found myself in space with no idea what does what, where I'm going, or what I'm doing.

I don't know if I have the patience to trial an error my way through this.
They added a new training flight mode which you can access from the start screen

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Update on the current roadmap that includes information on the console ports:

We're essentially feature complete on our PS4 and Switch versions of the game, and rapid work continues on the Xbox One version. Lotcheck and rating are coming next for all three versions, and we're going to have separate news items on each for those unfamiliar with the process behind each of those. Broadly speaking, the absolute earliest the console versions will hit is March, but if we hit any snags in ratings or a failed lotcheck, it could be later. As soon as we have a firm release date, we'll be shouting it loud and clear on our Discord, Twitter, and Facebook so be sure you're following at least one of those!

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
After being stuck for 4 years with the final pirate lord trophy, I yesterday tried again for 40min and I got the platinum. I had gained the other trophies in 2016.

What an amazing feeling to have this finally done after so many years.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, so you mean Rebel Galaxy and not Outlaw?
Well done Genetrik. Great game. I was a little disappointed that this bump wasn't someone posting that the PS4 version of Galaxy is like out on the next week or two. I guess its not really important at the moment though.

AHHH apologies. My bad.

well to make use of this thread: how are people liking the sequel? I am worried that it won't be for me because I loved the first game because of these 2 points and both of them are gone:
- you are flying big capital ships
- the game plays only horizontally (genius)

EDIT: just checked the dev page and it looks like the console versions are in certification right now and release can be in early April

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I have got the PC version of Outlaw, but have barely played it. I'm much more of a console player., so am waiting to play it there. It certainly seems to play differently than the original and is more like your classic Freelancer / Wing commander / X wing in the cockpit style. So I can understand your concerns that - while it maybe a great game - it isn't for you. It does have the same wild west feel of the original though - and is maybe even better at that aspect than the original.

So I did like what I played - but yes - it is different experience - but a pleasant one.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I associated this game in my head with Galaxy on Fire and therefore never even looked into it/dismissed it. Then the other day something or other down some Youtube hole led me to actually seeing it and realizing it's basically Freelancer 2, and I looooooooved Freelancer. Instantly bought it (yay EGS sale) and now I've spent 12 hours in it already and barely done any story missions yet. Finally the Freelancer 2 I've wanted all these years, this is just great.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Well, I bought this on the EGS mega sale after wanting to play since release.
Man....I can see how this game could be fun, but the biggest problem to me is
basically the complete lack of a tutorial. After the intro scene, you are just standing
on a space station with a dozen options at the bottom of the screen....and the game
says nothing. So I fooled around and checked out all of the places, finally found my mission
log, figured out how to buy some crap and launch. I did a couple quests, and it all just
really confusing without any guidance at ALL.

I see the post above talking about a console release. Maybe we will get an actual tutorial added
to this game as it's by far the most lacking thing I have seen. I tried a low level investigate
coordinates mission and was attacked by what seemed like a dozen ships and died in a minute
or so. I was able to do 1 other quest with 2 guys to kill, but it took awhile. I'm still not sure how
weapons/shields work, how to switch them out, how to manage shields being hit, etc etc.

I may wait a bit to play and see if they can update the game with some instructions instead of
just dropping the new player into this massive game without a word said lol.

Otherwise, the graphics are neat. I love the look of all these outposts they are very cartoony - almost remind
me of Ratchet and Clank planetoids or something. The music is weird. There is a lot of grungy rock twang something
sounding singing with guitars while flying around and I wish I could turn the singing off and have some more normal
space music but I get it, OUTLAW is the theme lol.

And the systems in place for joining guilds, mining, investigating, patrolling etc all seem like fun, but I did not
feel like I could get myself on firm enough ground with how the game actually plays, how to access menus I need
when I need them etc, so I felt like I was fumbling around the entire time. Good game, needs major tutorials!

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Still no news on the console ports?
Asking because their last news and roadmap post on their blog said around end of June as it was in cert by Nintendo/Sony/MS but we are now in July and still no news :( I really can't wait to play this game on console (don't know yet between Switch or X1X tbh, it will depend of the performance on Switch)

Last edited: