• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Throughout March my PS5 started crashing. Initially it was full system shutdowns every couple of days, and eventually got so bad that it would crash literally minutes into a game. The console would hard crash, only turn back on with the physical power button, perform a database repair and display an error message on boot up.

I had several calls with PS support. Each time they got me to try different things (Use a different power cable/surge protector/socket, update software via update on USB, etc), and nothing resolved the issue, so on Apr 6th a "Fix & Replace" was scheduled. I dispatched the console on Apr 13th, and I got it back on Apr 29th.

When I got it back, there was a letter with the console, that to paraphrase said that after a system update and extensive testing they couldn't find any issue, and so they sent it back to me. There was no replacement of parts.

When I got it back I stacked up some games to download, and left it be while I jumped back on work. Two hours later I went to check on it, and there'd been a full system shutdown with the same symptoms as before! Later that night I had three more full system shut downs.

I was so happy getting it back the day before Returnal as it's one of my most anticipated games this year, so it kind of feels like a nut punch.

I'm guessing the best advice is to just call them again on Monday, quote my previous reference number, and explain that whatever they did didn't do jack shit? I'm really not ecstatic about spending hours on the phone again, waiting another month, so that I can finally have a working console =S

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the best advice is to just call them again on Monday, quote my previous reference number, and explain that whatever they did didn't do jack shit?
Yes, you need to do this.

Also, they didn't do anything. They turned it on, it worked for however long they were given to test it (probably not long) so they returned it untouched.

Jquail

Mar 2, 2021
Do you have an external hdd connected and/or do you have any data (i.e. games, saves) installed from that drive? When I had this issue, that was my problem. I unplugged and uninstalled everything, then restarted the system and it's been working fine since.

OP
OP
Haikira

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Do you have an external hdd connected and/or do you have any data (i.e. games, saves) installed from that drive? When I had this issue, that was my problem. I unplugged and uninstalled everything, then restarted the system and it's been working fine since.

I did have an external SSD in use originally. That was one of the first variables I made sure to rule out. I performed a full factory reset of the console, then ceased using it; and it didn't help any.

I'll look into this. Although it's not only crashing during games. Happens during just using the OS, etc.

Thanks y'all for the feedback so far :)