• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Why do we have to kill Sif after we befriend him? Someone says it's because he want to stop us from challenging The Abyss and ending like Artorias, but he should know we are different and already beat it one time.
Seriously I cried when he had few HPs left and started limping, that's not fair FROM!

Oct 28, 2017
Big dog swore to protect that grave forever. Even if you were previously nice, the dog isn't gonna know if you've got good intentions or not now.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
You can't get the ring for the abyss if you don't dig his master's grave. He is sworn to protect it

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
These make more sense. Still heartbreaking for me. And Ciaran probably stayed there as well, till her last days.
Whether or not Sif wants to kill you is dependent on your playthrough, but Sif is defending Artorias' grave from everyone, including you. It's a heartbreaking fight overall.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
You do kill his master. Perhaps he just wants revenge
Artorias was already long gone and had succumbed to abyss by the time you fight him. Sif probably knew that when Artorias left her behind with his magic shield. Also you meet Sif for the first time after you have already killed Artorias. So pretty sure Sif already knew that you did Artorias a favour by killing him.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Artorias was already long gone and had succumbed to abyss by the time you fight him. Sif probably already knew that when Artorias left her behind with his magic shield. Also you meet Sif for the first time after you have already killed Artorias. So pretty sure Sif already knew that you did Artorias a favour by killing him.
So maybe he thinks since you're trying to go into the Abyss, you're long gone too... Maybe he wants to kill you because he was inspired by you setting Artorias free...

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
When he starts limping at the end it literally broke my heart. Only time I felt bad about killing a boss in a video game.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
So maybe he thinks since you're trying to go into the Abyss, you're long gone too... Maybe he wants to kill you because he was inspired by you setting Artorias free...
I really don't think so. You can summon Sif in the fight with Manus so Sif should know that YOU defeated Manus and Artorias couldn't.
Also the look Sif gives you when you fight her in the present is more of a " Oh Come On we seriously have to do this?". Atleast that's how I interpreted it. Sif was just performing her duty of protecting Artorias' grave and you were in the way of that.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

This is what I've always thought.

If you played AotA first, he recognizes you, but still sticks to it, perhaps trying to show you that same kindness you showed Artorias. Either way, he must do his duty regardless.

Fuck, that fucks me up.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
It's a frequent theme in these games. For example, the first boss you kill in DS3 is a good guy. The idea of good and bad is one of many things that is totally obfuscated in the world of Dark Souls. Also, you're typically killing people who are already dead.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
A recurring idea in the Souls games is of people holding on to honours and duties forever, without interrogating whether or not those ideas should still be held. For Sif, protecting the grave of Artorias is the most important thing left in the world, and while Sif definitely has reservations about fighting you, this duty must be upheld.

Was Sif right? That's a more difficult question. By protecting the Covenant of Artorias, Sif was preventing anyone from defeating Gwyn, therefore leaving the world in a stale state, impossible to move forward. But the two possible endings for Lordran aren't particularly great. Linking the fire just delays the inevitable, and becoming the Dark Lord just lets Kaathe and the serpents abuse the power of the dark once again, just as they did in Oolacile and New Londo. It feels like a game with no winning, no solution.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
It's worth mentioning that the boss introduction cutscene for Sif actually does change slightly if you do the DLC. Sif does recognize you, but they still can't abandon their duty. Makes it even more tragic.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never believed anyone that has claimed to cry from killing Sif.
I certainly didn't, and I'm a very emotional person. I can cry during a Geico commercial. I was too busy not fucking dying against that fuck to notice a limp or if I had, to take the time to feel bad about it. Fuck that wide ranging attack of his.