• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Title says it all, really. It's that time of year and I'm in the mood for a good horror flick. I have Netflix and Hulu.

Maybe others can enjoy recommendations as well.

Type2

Oct 27, 2017
Are you willing to watch a foreign movie? If The Wailing is still on Netflix it's a horror film that really stuck with me with some disturbing imagery and unique mythology. It relies on uncomfortable psychological horror and explores shamanism, spirits and beliefs.

TheIcedP

Oct 27, 2017
Hey bud! Not sure where you reside as I have Canadian Netflix so my recommendations might not be on your Netflix if you live in America or the U.K.

If you are interested in horror-comedy then Zombieland, Army of Darkness and Dale and Tucker VS. Evil are all great choice

For the serious horror films I would recommend the original Evil Dead, A psychological horror film that has aged a LOT but after watching it recently it still creeped me the hell out and also The Fly, Pretty crazy but also classic and also I will recommend The Grudge, this film freaked me out for days when I first saw it... you've been warned.

OP
OP
OnanieBomb

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Are you willing to watch a foreign movie? If The Wailing is still on Netflix it's a horror film that really stuck with me with some disturbing imagery and unique mythology. It relies on uncomfortable psychological horror and explores shamanism, spirits and beliefs.

Yeah no problem watching something subtitled. I've enjoyed Let the Right One In, Haute Tension and others. I'll check your recommendation!

OP
OP
OnanieBomb

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Hey bud! Not sure where you reside as I have Canadian Netflix so my recommendations might not be on your Netflix if you live in America or the U.K.

If you are interested in horror-comedy then Zombieland, Army of Darkness and Dale and Tucker VS. Evil are all great choice

For the serious horror films I would recommend the original Evil Dead, A psychological horror film that has aged a LOT but after watching it recently it still creeped me the hell out and also The Fly, Pretty crazy but also classic and also I will recommend The Grudge, this film freaked me out for days when I first saw it... you've been warned.

I've seen and enjoyed most of these. Actually reminds me, wasn't there an Evil Dead remake that's supposed to actually be good?

Type2

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah no problem watching something subtitled. I've enjoyed Let the Right One In, Haute Tension and others. I'll check your recommendation!
I'll be waiting to see what you think. It's one of the longer movies I've watched and understanding some of the plot might require googling a few of the roles in the movie. It's not extremely confusing or anything but you might be more lost not knowing that culture.

Train to busan is a Korean take on a block buster zombie film and packs an emotional punch as well as some tense zombie action.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
Great movie indeed. +1 for The Wailing

Saint-XIV

Oct 27, 2017
If you're into horror-comedies I'd say Netflix's The Babysitter. I watched it a few nights ago and really enjoyed it. Also, if you're gonna watch the trailer, it has major spoilers.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Reposting my list from the other thread, don't know what's available but I'm sure a bunch of these are on Netflix. Enjoy!

Eden Lake
The Descent
The House of the Devil (Ti West makes some good stuff, and this is his best)
Ils (Them)
Dog Soldiers
The Pact
The Witch
You're Next
As Above, So Below
28 Days Later
Let the Right One In
Kill List
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (not really that scary, but a gorgeous film in b/w)
Jacob's Ladder
Session 9
I Am A Ghost (this may be a bit too weird)
Noroi: The Curse
The Canal
Pontypool
[REC] 1 and 2
Grave Encounters
The Loved Ones
Wolf Creek
The Innkeepers
Housebound
Hush
The Strangers
Sinister 1
Would You Rather
Creep
The Wailing
I Saw the Devil

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017

Probably the fourth now in adding to recommending The Wailing. Highly recommend. I saw the Devil as well. There is a group of amazing South Korean filmmakers that are quickly becoming the masters of the Thriller genre.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I'm going to watch The Babysitter on Netflix tonight. I've heard mixed to good reactions about it, so it seems perfect for a drunken Saturday.

I think it's supposed to be a somewhat whimsical horror film. I'll post some impressions either later or tomorrow after I've watched it.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'd recommend The Nightmare. It is a slick documentary style film about real people's experiences with sleep paralysis and night terrors. Moody, tense, and spooky.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah check out The Wailing, The Eyes of My Mother and Creep. If you've got Amazon Prime check out Under the Skin. These are all slow burns, but get really unsettling.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
The Witch is awesome, just dont expect jump scares the mood is what gets you, its very creepy and unsettling. Also the acting is phenomenal.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
That new 1922 movie on netflix is pretty good, The babysitter as well if you want something campy

OP
OP
OnanieBomb

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I can't properly multiquote on mobile, but thanks for he recommendations. Plenty to last several nights of horror!

If The Witch is available I'll probably watch that first, but definitely gonna check out Babysitter and The Wailing as well.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I dont know if you are native english speaker but the way they talk in the The Witch is in old english which is very cool but its was hard to follow sometimes.
(As a non native english myself subtitles really helped)

RevenGuard

Oct 27, 2017
Have to recommend the wailing on Netflix. It's not a conventional western horror and it's a little long but it's such a gem!

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I honestly don't know what's available on Netflix or Hulu. I don't subscribe to them -- or have access to Hulu anyways.

But:

Black Christmas (1974)
Dawn of the Dead (the original)
Halloween (the original)
Texas Chainsaw Massage (original)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
It Follows
Haute Tension
A Tale of Two Sisters
Opera
Reanimator
Return of the Living Dead
Cabin in the Woods
Blair Witch Project (both)
Exorcist 3
Don't Breathe
Lights Out
The Witch

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
The Invitation is creepy as fuck. Don't read anything about it and just go watch it and prepare to feel uneasy over the most seemingly mundane thing.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
The Invitation is creepy as fuck. Don't read anything about it and just go watch it and prepare to feel uneasy over the most seemingly mundane thing.

This for sure. I was about to suggest this because I didn't see it in the earlier responses. Fantastic film.

Great thread also! Definitely going to check out 'The Wailing'.

OP
OP
OnanieBomb

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of Hush or The Invitation but now I'm adding them to the list. I knew ERA wouldn't let me down.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
Dead Silence. Its a James Wan movie but not a very financially successful one. Don't let the similarities with Annabelle fool you.. the atmosphere is perfect and there aren't really jump-scares but the timing is fantastic as well.

Its WAY better than Saw, Insidious or The Conjuring!

Also, I believe The Babadook is on Netflix.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Trick R Treat is literally the the ideal halloween horror movie. Another must watch. Clever good stuff.

Not sure if it's on one of those services in your country though.

MaskedNdi

Oct 25, 2017
Berberian Sound Studio (on Hulu) isn't for everyone, but it's a favorite of mine. It's a British film about a sound engineer hired to work on a gory horror movie. You'll probably get more out of this if you're familiar with giallo films.

The Silenced (on Netflix) is more of a mystery film than pure horror, but if you enjoy gothic tales, it's definitely worth checking out. It's a Korean film about mysterious disappearances at a girl's sanitorium.

We Are Still Here (on Netflix) is an American film about a family trying to recover from a terrible tragedy. It's a slow burn with some nice payoffs.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't know what's available on Netflix or Hulu. I don't subscribe to them -- or have access to Hulu anyways.

But:

Black Christmas (1974)
Dawn of the Dead (the original)
Halloween (the original)
Texas Chainsaw Massage (original)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
It Follows
Haute Tension
A Tale of Two Sisters
Opera
Reanimator
Return of the Living Dead
Cabin in the Woods
Blair Witch Project (both)
Exorcist 3
Don't Breathe
Lights Out
The Witch

I would love for someone to explain to me how a movie can be set in a city that is 82% black and not feature a single black person. Not one.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Gerald's Game and 1922 are two Stephen King adaptions released by Netflix in the last few weeks.

And both happen to be among the best filmatizations of his material so far. Really recommend both.

90% and 85% Rotten Tomatometer score respectively.

Last edited:

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
Just to throw out something different from Netflix: Stitches. It's a British horror/comedy about a clown that gets killed at a birthday party then comes back for revenge. I watched it randomly and I loved it.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Really? I'll have to check Gerald's Game out then. I borrowed the book from the library but haven't found the time for it, or been hooked by the little I read.

It's really just a case of too many other books (It, Sleeping Beauties, Jaws, and more.)

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure about all horror films in Netflix, since I'm using LA Netflix, but I know The Invitation is there and it's amazing.
Creep is there, too and it's an amazing film as well (the sequel is coming out soon, too!). Others have mentioned It Follows and Hush, definitely watch them (It Follows is probably one of my favorite modern horror films; it's a really fresh approach to the horror genre, so if you're into horror, you'll enjoy it). The Stranger is there, as well, and it's probably one of my favorite horror films, period.

Aside of Netflix, check out Youtube for classic (and amazing) horror. Black Christmas (1974) is in YT, and I know Suspiria is there, too. Probably other good films as well, like Alice Sweet Alice, Let's Scare Jessica to Death or Texas Chainsaw, but I'm not sure.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Ok, I've just finished watching The Babysitter. It's a fun film but I wouldn't really class it as a horror.
It definitely hit the right notes in terms of gore, at least. The two early deaths (the ritual sacrifice and the cop with a pole in his head) I found really difficult to watch. It's just the aspect of still being alive while having massive brain trauma seems quite disturbing. It does help make the deaths stick in the mind. (Pun indented, which I feel is appropriate for this movie!) Also if you have a phobia of needles then I imagine those parts could be quite scary for some.

The tone of the film is quite weird, but almost in a good way. I liked the moments where text appears on screen to emphasise something, or to visualise information. On the other hand it also works to make it seem even less of a horror. There was also the moment when the cheerleader girl gets shot and goes flying across the room, which feels slightly random and out of place. This is in spite of the movie not taking itself very seriously, for the most part.

I did enjoy it when Cole started turning the tables on the cult to take them out one by one. It's kind of a graphic Home Alone, with less prep time. Also the reaction of the quarterback guy to the kid egging the house was hilarious, it was one of my favourite parts.

I think I'd rate The Babysitter a sold 3 out of 5. Don't go in expecting to be scared, but the occasional gore shock is its strongest feature.

Oct 27, 2017
It follows

Netflix
Ok, I've just finished watching The Babysitter. It's a fun film but I wouldn't really class it as a horror.
It definitely hit the right notes in terms of gore, at least. The two early deaths (the ritual sacrifice and the cop with a pole in his head) I found really difficult to watch. It's just the aspect of still being alive while having massive brain trauma seems quite disturbing. It does help make the deaths stick in the mind. (Pun indented, which I feel is appropriate for this movie!) Also if you have a phobia of needles then I imagine those parts could be quite scary for some.

The tone of the film is quite weird, but almost in a good way. I liked the moments where text appears on screen to emphasise something, or to visualise information. On the other hand it also works to make it seem even less of a horror. There was also the moment when the cheerleader girl gets shot and goes flying across the room, which feels slightly random and out of place. This is in spite of the movie not taking itself very seriously, for the most part.

I did enjoy it when Cole started turning the tables on the cult to take them out one by one. It's kind of a graphic Home Alone, with less prep time. Also the reaction of the quarterback guy to the kid egging the house was hilarious, it was one of my favourite parts.

I think I'd rate The Babysitter a sold 3 out of 5. Don't go in expecting to be scared, but the occasional gore shock is its strongest feature.

OP
OP
OnanieBomb

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Decided on Hush because we didn't want something too engaging (saving The Wailing for another night.). It was aight as long as suspension of disbelief was cranked up.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
1922 is fucking terrible and is not scary unless you're just scared of rats for some reason.

Oct 27, 2017

I second this recommendation. It's an excellent, well-shot film that sticks with you after viewing. Very creepy stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Not being familiar with the book I had completely ruled out Geralds Game as some kind of 50 shades thing based on the netflix description/thumbnail until reading this thread.
Just watched it and really enjoyed it. The tension was great
but I didn't really enjoy the 'death' parts throughout and then found the ending to be a bit much. That escape though...