• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I'm talking out of left field, "what in the actual fuck" level twists that leave your soul in limbo from the cliffhanger until the next episode.

General concepts would be things like reality not being what it seems, the presumably dead appearing alive out of nowhere, the protagonist actually dying, _____ being the culprit all along, you know, the juicy stuff.

Quality of the show absolutely does not matter, I'm just in it for the crazy entertainment value that they offer due to their absurdity alone.

Examples:

Wayward Pines
The Event
Damages
How To Get Away With Murder
Revenge
Flash Forward

Anything with plots as ridiculous as the above is what I'm interested in.

Fire away!

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
The Vampire Diaries had some of the most ridiculous twists.

Also pretty little liars is basically built on insane twists lol.

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Orphan Black is the show you're looking for OP. It even has that soup opera eyepatch bad guy/girl.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Twin Peaks maybe. Like, it's not all insane twists. But when there is one, it is insane on a level few shows can match.

Don't exactly expect it to resolve those twists all nice and neatly though. They sat on a cliffhanger for 25 years.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from actual soap operas/telenovelas?

Lost is essentially composed entirely of plot twists and enjoyment of the series comes from the perpetual sense of mystery and teasing possible answers

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Bad Guys: Vile City is basically Yakuza games in TV format. Lots of brawling, lots of cool badass characters, lots of plot twists.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Dynasty (do the new one on Netflix). Basically any CW show really.

tenor.gif

latest

tumblr_oqg3ap9vd21w5hn2zo1_250.gif

The OC.

Mmm whatcha say.

hell yes, season 1 is a ride

Last edited:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
LOST.

Absolutely watch LOST.

If you literally want a soap opera, Passions.

Also apparently Jane the Virgin has some wacky and sometimes super dark twists. But I believe that's because it's a semi-spoof of Spanish soap operas.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Westworld and Lost, but in an increasingly bad way as the seasons progress.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's an episode of Riverdale where Archie and his friends start a terrorist cell to hunt down a serial killer

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Twin Peaks is the obvious best choice here. I actually can't believe that Season 3 was actually put on TV. It's just that insane

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Twin Peaks, maybe. The first two seasons are a sort of surrealist arthouse soap opera centered around a murder mystery, the twists and turns are so out there that many of its themes and set pieces have been parodied or referenced in other works. By the time you get to the third season it's hard to believe where the show has taken you compared to the pilot episode.

giphy.gif

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I guess Empire counts. This show is off the wall stupid. They do the dumbest shit, then explain it away with even more dumb shit. I think in one episode they had to go retrieve a dead body that was buried in the woods, so their lawyer pulled out a dead body detector out of his trunk:

K6rOuHR.gif

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking out of left field, "what in the actual fuck" level twists that leave your soul in limbo from the cliffhanger until the next episode.

General concepts would be things like reality not being what it seems, the presumably dead appearing alive out of nowhere, the protagonist actually dying, _____ being the culprit all along, you know, the juicy stuff.

Quality of the show absolutely does not matter, I'm just in it for the crazy entertainment value that they offer due to their absurdity alone.

Examples:

Wayward Pines
The Event
Damages
How To Get Away With Murder
Revenge
Flash Forward

Anything with plots as ridiculous as the above is what I'm interested in.

Fire away!

Vampire Diaries. Season 2 and 3 are a ride. Season 1 takes some time to get going. After Season 3 watch Originals, first season or two is just great. Plenty of twists, turns, and the plot moves FAST.

Game of Thrones. At least one episode will ruin you.

Empire is just fuckery on fuckery.

Supernatural Season 13 episode 16 - ScoobyNatural (isn't wild but it's fun lol)

supernatural-scooby-doo-scoobynatural-images-10.jpg

Possibly Mr. Robot.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's a reason they call it Gotham... Got Ham?

I got obsessed with Days of Our Lives one summer; Marlena was possessed by the devil and they kept her in a cage. She spoke in this awful manipulated voice... It was hilarious. Stefano, the show's "big bad" was as evil and mustache-twirling as possible at the time.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mr. Robot
Adventure Time
Hemlock Grove (not too many plot twists but I'm recommending it anyways)

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Rogue with Thandie Newton. First season is kind of dull, but the show actually gets better
after S3 when she leaves for Westworld. It has some very nasty and unexpected deaths throughout the show.

Fortitude - Some character unexpectedly bite it throughout the show, along with some The Thing-type gross scenes. Its final fourth season is airing this fall.

The Chalet - French Netflix murder mystery where characters drop like flies and it has some semi-predictable, but interesting twists.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn 99 doesn't pull punches with how crazy it gets sometimes. Man, I'm glad I only heard of the series after the almost-cancelled debacle, some of the cliffhangers were insanity for a comedy show.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
24 and Prison Break.

Prison Break really is the guys soap opera.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Dammit, I was hoping for more shows that I haven't seen yet, lol

Never heard of Dynasty though, so those gifs immediately have my interest piqued.

Keep 'em going, everyone! I'm at work right now, but I'll make sure to look at everyone's posts when I can!

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dynasty- The original 80's series is fantastic..
Dynasty - The reboot is almost as good.

Both of these are on Prime video for free.

If you truly want batshit insane:

Profit - You only get the one season but it is ridiculous.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Although it's an older show, the final season of Felicity gives you a hilarious out of nowhere reminder that this is J.J. Abrams you're dealing with.