• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dynasty (do the new one on Netflix). Basically any CW show really.

latest
What's the context for this one? Season 1 is on Netflix, and this gif is relevant to my interests.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck. I'm probably going to end up watching Vampire Diaries.

Used to make fun of that show despite never having seen it when first aired becuase it looked like the most CW show ever but theres a vampire shaped hole in my heart now that True Blood went off the air.

I love goofy vampire gore and melodrama.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
If anime counts, then Death Note is unmatched. Just absolutely spectacular levels of mindfuckery every episode.
First time I can remember actually watching the final episode of a TV show freaking out, actually unsure of what was going to happen. I was losing my goddamn mind.

Whole series is an amazing cat and mouse game. Would reccomend even if not that into anime, its genuinely compelling stuff.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if counts, but I used to bump into my friend watching Grey's Anatomy a lot and I gotta tell you, these are some of the unluckiest doctors I have ever seen on TV.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if counts, but I used to bump into my friend watching Grey's Anatomy a lot and I gotta tell you, these are some of the unluckiest doctors I have ever seen on TV.
Is that the one where Sandra Oh slips and then gets impaled by a falling icicle?

Yeah, theres some Final Destination shit going on in that show.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is that the one where Sandra Oh slips and then gets impaled by a falling icicle?

Yeah, theres some Final Destination shit going on in that show.
I vaguely remember that, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what actually happened.

Other stuff I remember:
- A ridiculous amount of breakups and divorces. By repeat offenders too.
- Car crashes
- Ambulance crashes
- Plane crashes
- IEDs
- Dealing with a hospital shooter
- Dealing with a school shooting incident shortly after the hospital shooter
- Hurricanes
- Getting into labor in the middle of said hurricane
- Electrocution
- Numerous legal incidents

That's just the stuff I caught/recall.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to go ahead and assume you've seen Game of Thrones.

If somehow you haven't, I'd say thats probably got what you're looking for aswell.

Its "fuck what you thought was going to happen" the show. Littered with twists, death, drama and generally pretty goddamn insane.

hyuckwut

Oct 27, 2017
Beverly Hills 90210 maybe, it's soapy. Gets ridiculous a lot of the times. It actually holds up and I have been binge watching it for weeks

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck. I'm probably going to end up watching Vampire Diaries.

Used to make fun of that show despite never having seen it when first aired becuase it looked like the most CW show ever but theres a vampire shaped hole in my heart now that True Blood went off the air.

I love goofy vampire gore and melodrama.
One thing about The Vampire Diaries that doesn't get talked about all that much anymore is that for its first 3-4 years it is a masterclass in rapid fire plotting.

The twists and turns are part of it but the show has just this insane drive and burns through plot lines like no one's business.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
For the record, anime definitely counts, and Death Note is a solid recommendation based on the criteria.

Season 2 features a serial killer, the mob, a brothel, a sketchy new sibling, a cult, jingle jangle, gang wars, murder, torture, etc.

You need to watch it now.

HOLY SHIT, I've been missing out!!

I'm going to go ahead and assume you've seen Game of Thrones.

If somehow you haven't, I'd say thats probably got what you're looking for aswell.

Its "fuck what you thought was going to happen" the show. Littered with twists, death, drama and generally pretty goddamn insane.

Oh yes, I've seen it alright. Brilliant show/series.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, anime definitely counts, and Death Note is a solid recommendation based on the criteria.

If you like anime, then I would definitely recommend checking out Samurai Flamenco, then. It's sort of like a anime version of Kick-Ass (normal guy in a real world setting who's a fan of superheros decides to try to become one in real life), but the plot goes thoroughly off the rails (in a good way) partway through.

Pretty spoilery image:
KMLBV5X.png

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Considering how tame some of the recommendations are in this thread, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Californication yet. Crazy ass show.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't mind shows of another language, the Spanish drama El Internado depicts life at a boarding school rife with love, kidnappings, experiments and murder. It is a fantastic show.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
If you like anime, then I would definitely recommend checking out Samurai Flamenco, then. It's sort of like a anime version of Kick-Ass (normal guy in a real world setting who's a fan of superheros decides to try to become one in real life), but the plot goes thoroughly off the rails (in a good way) partway through.

Pretty spoilery image:
KMLBV5X.png

Alright, I'll check it out.

Oz
Breaking Bad
Twin Peaks
Banshee
The Shield

I really gotta pick up The Shield again. That was a really good show.

Considering how tame some of the recommendations are in this thread, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Californication yet. Crazy ass show.

The crazier the better!

just watch General Hospital fam

Lol, I've been watching general hospital since I was a child XD

If you don't mind shows of another language, the Spanish drama El Internado depicts life at a boarding school rife with love, kidnappings, experiments and murder. It is a fantastic show.

I speak Spanish, so that works out great!

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scandal.

If I would've watched it before Trump's presidency I'd have been rolling my eyes hard. But now? "lol, I guess that could happen."

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like you want to watch Lost. It's exactly as you described, including the part where quality doesn't matter.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly, the first season of Heroes pretty much ends with a "WTF" revelation or cliffhanger nearly every episode.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Scandal.

If I would've watched it before Trump's presidency I'd have been rolling my eyes hard. But now? "lol, I guess that could happen."

Seen it.

That episode where she was kidnapped is still one of my faves. Oh, and the one where she bludgeoned a wheelchair bound dude with a chair. Just, wow

Sounds like you want to watch Lost. It's exactly as you described, including the part where quality doesn't matter.

Seen it several times now. I loved every season. Ending didn't bother me as much as it did others. I was already expect something absurd.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
FRINGE
Steven Universe
Westworld
Breaking Bad (or Better Call Saul)
Game of Thrones
Legion
Venture Bros
Hannibal
Altered Carbon

Last edited:

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
All my best recommendations are already here!

If you can find it, Sunset Beach can't be topped. It's like every ridiculous soap plot line distilled into its basic essence.

But Revenge, New Dynasty, Billions, The OC, all good choices.

The only thing I haven't seen ITT so far is Suits.

Maybe The Originals if you want vamp action.

Anime has to be Neo Yokio surely?

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
895e7f649045072af8bda36a75dbaf7e.jpg

tumblr_or6902p60x1qdhps7o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mh8a7nBZDy1qh01r8o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

Like, obsessed doesn't even begin to cover how much i adore this show and its characters. I've rewatched it probably 47 times and I'm about to do it again. They've taken it off streaming services and while I own one of the super limited collector's DVD sets I'm probably going to buy each season off Amazon to have it in HD to watch whenever I want. Highly recommend!

don't listen to anyone who says to stop after season 2 because they're 100% wrong. And season 4 is the worst but even it gets better in around episode 8. I may be a little biased but it is the truth (takes time).

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm two episodes into Dynasty. It's pretty OK. I hope it gets really wild soon though. Feels like I'm only really watching because the dynamic between the two leads is solid and they're both just really sexy honestly.

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
The Good Place

And since I wasn't alive at the time, I lost my shit watching The People vs. OJ Simpson. I couldn't believe I was watching some of those scenes - holy shit.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
All my best recommendations are already here!

If you can find it, Sunset Beach can't be topped. It's like every ridiculous soap plot line distilled into its basic essence.

But Revenge, New Dynasty, Billions, The OC, all good choices.

The only thing I haven't seen ITT so far is Suits.

Maybe The Originals if you want vamp action.

Anime has to be Neo Yokio surely?

Sunset Beach was the craziest soap I've ever watched. I used to binge watch it with VHS tapes, lol

I'm still angry that Flash Forward got canceled so V could get another season.

FINALLY someone who understands my plight! You can't just cancel a show with that kind of cliffhanger!

I'm two episodes into Dynasty. It's pretty OK. I hope it gets really wild soon though. Feels like I'm only really watching because the dynamic between the two leads is solid and they're both just really sexy honestly.

Yeah, I watched the pilot and it was tamer than I was expecting, but sometimes you have to set the foundation before you can burn the house down!

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Jane the Virgin
Dynasty
Riverdale (season 2 is a bit uneven bit towards the end ot becomes really awesome again)
The Vampire Diaries
The Good Place (the premise is already crazy, then it's twist after twist, there are several that make you question how the show can continue)
Hannibal
Pretty Little Liars
Steven Universe (starts out as a cute monster of the week cartoon, slowly builds up the story and in later seasons casually drops twists that completely shatter everything you thought you knew)

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Person of Interest. It starts with the insane stuff in episode 7 and it slowly progresses with the foundation of it's craziness. Then S2 and 3 are fucking bonkers.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Like, obsessed doesn't even begin to cover how much i adore this show and its characters. I've rewatched it probably 47 times and I'm about to do it again. They've taken it off streaming services and while I own one of the super limited collector's DVD sets I'm probably going to buy each season off Amazon to have it in HD to watch whenever I want. Highly recommend!

don't listen to anyone who says to stop after season 2 because they're 100% wrong. And season 4 is the worst but even it gets better in around episode 8. I may be a little biased but it is the truth (takes time).
Season 4 was okay-ish, 3 & 5 are crap. First two seasons are fantastic though, yeah!

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
If anime is in the mix, code geass is a must watch. It has so many crazy plot twists and practically redefined the meaning of so bad it's good.