• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Following on from my other thread, I am now wondering if I have missed out on any gems over the years.

I play on PC mainly but also have Xbox and Switch, so can anybody recommend me some really good story driven games that are anything from 8 to 20 hours long that follow a more linear experience?

(Max Payne being a good example.)

Prey and Quantum Break

Nov 3, 2017
I haven't played it but from what i've read the campaign is better than it had any right to be and should be in your list given what you've enjoyed so far.

You can watch the first half hour on YouTube or something just to get a sense of how it's implemented in the game. The actual game uses binaural audio though and that adds a ton to the experience.

Here's the Ninja Theory Dev Diaries for Senua for anyone interested.

Ninja Theory Dev Diary - Senua

Well worth watching. Part 15 covers the binaural audio but there are other episodes that cover the psychosis and how they met and spoke to people with the condition. Together with episodes on the game tech, art, music etc.

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
Loved Life Is Strange, haven't played the new one yet, Quantum Break looks interesting but worried about performance, do you think I would get 4k/60 on a 1080Ti?

I had to compromise to get 4k/30 on a GTX1080, so I don't think 4k/60 is possible even on the stronger 1080Ti. I generally don't mind 30 fps, but if you do you should probably consider whether you want to take the plunge.

OP
OP
Detail

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Phantasmagoria gave me nightmares for weeks when I was a kid. If you haven't, you might want to check out Broken Age too (you probably have). I've only played the first part myself, it definitely has charm even though the game doesn't reach the heights of Tim Schafer's best. For modern point & click goodness that's faithul to the old style are games by Wadjet Eye. Unavowed and Resonance to name a few. I have an inkling you might be familiar with these too already.

For a really touching while simple story without any eligible dialogue, I greatly recommend Brothers: Tale of Two Sons. It's playable in one night, controller is highly recommended.

To be honest I wasn't familiar with them at all, I can't believe I have missed these?

If you have any other recommendations for good point and clicks then please, do send me them.

But yes, Broken Age I love and I have played basically every point and click game before 2005 (I love P&C as you can probably tell lol.)

OP
OP
Detail

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
To the Moon, A Bird Story, Finding Paradise. More laid back visual stories than games per se. Not sure if that's along the lines of your request.

Sure is, I will give them a shot, thanks :).

Singularity from last gen. A nice compact experience with a fun story.

Love this game, one of my all time favourites.

I had to compromise to get 4k/30 on a GTX1080, so I don't think 4k/60 is possible even on the stronger 1080Ti. I generally don't mind 30 fps, but if you do you should probably consider whether you want to take the plunge.

Will watch some YouTube benchmarks, I don't mind playing 4k/30 for single player games at all, hell, I played carmaggedon 2 back in the day on a potato that ran about 10 FPS lol.

I think so. It's very much a "boy and his dog" kind of buddy story with the main titan.

There are a lot of really unique and incredible ways that the gameplay is affected by the story too. It's a tightly polished compact game that you'll remember forever.

Sounds very interesting, will give this a try, thank you for the recommendation.

Also thank you everyone else for all the recommendations, I really appreciate it.