• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Right now I use a PS3 controller which works well enough for me, but the driver I use to make my computer think it's a 360 controller is finicky and often needs to be reinstalled which can be a hassle. I also have a PS4 controller, but I'm honestly not a huge fan of it in comparison because it isn't as comfortable to hold for me. Also those are the only controllers I have for their consoles, so I'm looking for something I can just keep with my computer.

So far the one that stands out the most to me is the Logitech F310 controller.
41rp2RJ4SvL.jpg

The price is really good, and the XInput-DirectInput switch on the back seems like it would give it the broadest compatibility with new and old games. Does anyone have any experience with that controller to recommend or not recommend it or know any other good controller that's out there? Sites love to recommend the Xbox controllers but I'm really not a fan of their d-pads.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Is a good d-pad your top priority? I don't think you'll find many good d-pads in 3rd party controllers.

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
I got an After Glow Xbox One Controller and I love it for PC. It's got two scroll wheels in the back that are multi directional inputs (up, down, and press) and can be very quickly programmed to wherever button you want.

40 bucks

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any experience with that controller to recommend or not recommend it

have it plugged into my laptop right now. i say no go. analogue is just way too floaty. a few games are downright uplayable. only reason i still have it plugged in is because i play mainly 2D indie stuff on my laptop and the d-pad suffices for the most part

basically, you're getting what you pay for

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 controller, 100%. It goes on sale for $40 pretty often, its dpad is way better than the 360 controller, and it works great with Steam. Non-steam games (microsoft store games, etc.) either need to be launched through steam, or will work with the controller plugged into the PC, or with DS4windows.

I'm also a pretty big fan of gyro in games after playing Splatoon for a while, and for any FPS that supports mouse + gamepad, using the DS4 + gyro is a dream.

edit: sorry, I skipped a line in the OP. Ignore me.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one in your OP is the one I've had for like 10 years. Works great and never seem to have any issues with it.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
OP, there are two other versions of the Logitech F310. One of them is the Logitech F510, which adds rumble capability. The other one is the more popular Logitech F710 that is wireless and is advertised on Steam's page for Big Picture Mode. I own the Logitech F710 and its really decent for the price.

f710-gaming-gamepad-images.png

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
isnt the DS4 like 40bucks during the coming "days of play" event? 8-18 june.
DS4Windows and you are good to go. bern using it for the last 5 years.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
My primary controller for both my PC and Switch has been my SFC30 Pro. I know some people have issues with 8bitdo's d-pad's, but mine has been working great.

Might be a bit out of your price range at $50 though.

OP
OP

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Is a good d-pad your top priority? I don't think you'll find many good d-pads in 3rd party controllers.
It is. I play all sorts of games, so analog sticks are important too though.
Buy this and then download the necessary drivers so that your PC detects Switch controllers as Xbox controllers.

Alternatively, you can get one of these knockoff Xbone controllers.

edit: Also, which driver are you using for your Dual Shock Controller currently?
I have experience with x360ce. Unfortunately it was the experience of it not working with random games and was what led me to my current solution.

I don't remember exactly where I first found it but it's this right here:
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/SCP_Driver_Package

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It is. I play all sorts of games, so analog sticks are important too though.

I have experience with x360ce. Unfortunately it was the experience of it not working with random games and was what led me to my current solution.

I don't remember exactly where I first found it but it's this right here:
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/SCP_Driver_Package
shit, Xinput Wrapper isn't working? That's a bummer.

I would strive for one of those clone Xbone controllers, personally. All of the youtube reviews state that they're pretty solid in regards to functionality.

OP
OP

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
shit, Xinput Wrapper isn't working? That's a bummer.

I would strive for one of those clone Xbone controllers, personally. All of the youtube reviews state that they're pretty solid in regards to functionality.
The SCP stuff does work generally, it's just that it sometimes stops working until I uninstall and reinstall the driver, which always takes a few minutes and gets annoying.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
The only issue I had with the F310 is that it was impossible to do a shield bash at 60fps in Dark Souls 2.

Other then that it was a decent controller. I remember the deadzone not being great

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The SCP stuff does work generally, it's just that it sometimes stops working until I uninstall and reinstall the driver, which always takes a few minutes and gets annoying.
I don't recall ever having those issues after I learned to ditch MotionInJoy, but it's been awhile since i went exclusively to DS4 for my PC ages ago, so I can't really vouch for it anymore.

I did find another Xbox style controller that works for PC, though. And instead of it being a Switch controller that needs community drivers or a knockoff that may have quality control issues, it's an actual third party.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...4G6FR&linkId=4221a7a775f9efaf89579c3dc8b7902b

It even has its own rechargeable battery pack; though it looks like it may take Xbone ones anyway.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Right now I use a PS3 controller which works well enough for me, but the driver I use to make my computer think it's a 360 controller is finicky and often needs to be reinstalled which can be a hassle. I also have a PS4 controller, but I'm honestly not a huge fan of it in comparison because it isn't as comfortable to hold for me. Also those are the only controllers I have for their consoles, so I'm looking for something I can just keep with my computer.

So far the one that stands out the most to me is the Logitech F310 controller.
41rp2RJ4SvL.jpg

The price is really good, and the XInput-DirectInput switch on the back seems like it would give it the broadest compatibility with new and old games. Does anyone have any experience with that controller to recommend or not recommend it or know any other good controller that's out there? Sites love to recommend the Xbox controllers but I'm really not a fan of their d-pads.

I have one. The Xinput/DirectInput is a great feature. The D-pad is a classic. Its cheap.

It also kind of sucks. The older Logitech Dual Action was far better for older games due to there being four actual should buttons and no triggers. It was a PS2 controller for the PC.

360 controller was better for modern games with superior analog sticks, triggers and buttons.

It does everything and maybe only one thing well. (rouge legacy and a number of other platformers are the shit for this.)

OP
OP

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.amazon.com/Gaming-Contr...1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527640668&sr=8-1&keywords=Zd

This one was recommeded by richard from digital foundry as the cheapest pad when he did a video on the best pc controllers.

Heres the video in question:

It also has a couple of good reviews on amazon

Wow that looks like something I could go for. I'll definitely keep that in mind if I can't get the driver issues worked out.
I don't recall ever having those issues after I learned to ditch MotionInJoy, but it's been awhile since i went exclusively to DS4 for my PC ages ago, so I can't really vouch for it anymore.

I did find another Xbox style controller that works for PC, though. And instead of it being a Switch controller that needs community drivers or a knockoff that may have quality control issues, it's an actual third party.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...4G6FR&linkId=4221a7a775f9efaf89579c3dc8b7902b

It even has its own rechargeable battery pack; though it looks like it may take Xbone ones anyway.
I started messing around with some of the other parts of that package and managed to get it to keep working when unplugging it or putting my computer to sleep. With any luck I won't need to buy anything new at all. Thanks for the suggestions though. I'll keep them in mind if I end up reaching my limit with this stuff.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that looks like something I could go for. I'll definitely keep that in mind if I can't get the driver issues worked out.

I started messing around with some of the other parts of that package and managed to get it to keep working when unplugging it or putting my computer to sleep. With any luck I won't need to buy anything new at all. Thanks for the suggestions though. I'll keep them in mind if I end up reaching my limit with this stuff.
Good to hear. They're all solid suggestions in case you need a second controller for friends or whatever.

OP
OP

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.amazon.com/Gaming-Contr...1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527640668&sr=8-1&keywords=Zd

This one was recommeded by richard from digital foundry as the cheapest pad when he did a video on the best pc controllers.

Heres the video in question:

It also has a couple of good reviews on amazon

Figured I'd post an update since I ended up getting this controller. It's actually very comfortable to use, but it had several issues to make me not recommend it. L2 and R2 actually are analog triggers like any modern controller, you just have to press them harder than normal to register full force, which is a problem when every game checks for a different amount of force in them to count as an input. The d-pad is way too sensitive to register diagonals when pressing left or right, and the joysticks bizarrely have deadzones around their cardinal directions.

I'm just going to put up with the controllers I have already because at least they work right after I mess around with the programs I need to. It's so frustrating that practically no sites have anything to offer beyond "JUST USE AN XBOX CONTROLLER". Yeah thanks, I know Xbox controllers exist. At least that Digital Foundry video was willing to recommend something, even if it didn't work out. I appreciate everyone trying to help though. Maybe I'll give something else a try someday.