• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SS4Rob

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see familiar GAF names again. Ahem:

I need a good console like controller for my gaming PC. I was considering getting the PlayStation and Xbox USB dongles and just using my existing PS4 and Xbone or 360 controllers, but I thought I'd see what the Steam and PC gaming community recommends. Thanks!

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Xbox 360 controllers. They're cheap, abundant, the adapters are cheap, and they actually have more profiles and stuff than the XOne controller.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I currently have 3 wireless controllers synced to my PC:
  • Xbox One controller (Forza 6 model), via the XB1 USB adapter. (I heard there were some problems with using Bluetooth, and I don't have a newer revision.) Great design, native compatibility with basically anything released since 2005, excellent overall.
  • DualShock 4, via Bluetooth. I prefer this one for games with more D-pad usage, and you can make it act like an 360/XB1 controller via InputMapper/DS4Windows or Steam. The touchpad is a nice perk for navigation if you assign it to work as a mouse.
  • 8bitdo SF30, via Bluetooth. I use this for anything that doesn't need an analog stick at all. Again, this can be made to work in Xinput-only games via Steam.
For wired options, I also have an arcade stick and a Pokken USB controller. The former has Xinput and DirectInput modes, and the latter is regognized as a generic controller.

I've heard good things about the Steam controller but I'll probably wait for a new revision before I get one myself. Seems like it'll fill the final gap in my lineup, something that works well with games that weren't necessarily designed for controller support at all.

I'm a bit of a controller dork, so I like to have everything. If you want to buy just one controller, the DS4 is probably the most versatile if you're okay with the layout and slightly sub-par build quality.

Last edited:

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
The Steam controller is by far the best controller for most games. The main exception being games that heavily rely on the D-pad.

222648_detail_02.jpg

EDIT:

Some of the weaknesses of traditional controllers that the Steam controller addresses is:
  • The (right) analog stick is terrible for any form of aiming. A lot of modern games feature aiming, first-person camera control, and/or cursor control. An analog stick is simply too imprecise and slow. The (right) pad on the Steam controller works similar to a mouse. I personally really enjoy trackball mode where you can easily control acceleration as if you were flicking a rotating ball under your thumb. The gyro support can also be really useful for aiming in conjunction with the pad.
  • Lifting your (right) thumb off the stick/pad. Lifting your thumb off the stick/pad in order to press face buttons has always been a problem. You shouldn't have to stop all camera and aiming functions in order to use an action. This is especially cumbersome when those actions include jumping, melee, and throwing a projectile. All of should ideally be executed while having full control of your character. The Steam controller has grip buttons on the back. Additionally, through the flexibility of its pads, dual-stage triggers, and an insane level of customization through software, you can limit or outright remove the need to use the face buttons.
I also personally really enjoy the fact that is lasts 80+ hours on two AAs.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I also use a newish Xbox One controller. I've just used it via Bluetooth which has (touchwood) been very reliable so far, and that's with some pretty long sessions.

I also have the DS4 (also connected via Bluetooth) but still struggle with the DS' , they don't quite suit my hamds

Ultryx

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I would recommend the XB 360 controller and if not that, then the XB1 controller. A third option would be the Steam controller, but I've never personally used it.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
I still use my 360 controller which I love. Haven't tried my XB1 controller but I imagine it's a better overall experience depending on the game. Heard good things about the Steam controller too, but I've never actually held one in my hand.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer my PS4 controller personally, though I may just be use to it from having used it so much on my PS4 before getting a PC that is gaming capable.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One controller. You get force feedback triggers in games that support it. On the cheap Xbox 360 controller.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I swear by a wired DS4 using Inputmapper. The past few times I tried Bluetooth I always had issues which is why I stick to a long USB cable. Maybe the official USB dongle would work better and more reliably though.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
The XB1 controller is the most sensible overall choice. If you're playing primarily a specific genre the answer might be different. I'm currently contemplating a Hori Fighting Commander for 2D games.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I use a lot of controllers, and the one I'd actively recommend against is the 360 controller.
The d-pad is just horrible, and it's not like it makes up for that lack with a whole host of other features and advantages (like, say, the Steam controller).

The decision among the remaining options really comes down to preferences and which genre you are mostly playing.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have two controllers for my PC:

1.) 8bitdo SNES-style controller. Mostly for 2D games and others that don't require analog sticks.
2.) PS4 controller. Natively recognized by Windows and some games support the rumble.

You couldn't go wrong with a 360 / XBO controller either, though.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I've been PC gaming with the X360 controller for years, in my opinion it is one of the greatest and most comfortable controllers ever made.
Pretty easy to set it up with an adapter, or just go wired.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I generally use a wired PS4 controller, though an XB1 or 360 pad is good for games non-reliant on d-pad.

Also own a Game Sir controller that was pretty inexpensive for how well it seems to function wirelessly with my laptop and phone.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I recently got into PC Gaming but I'm very much a console gamer with a gaming PC so I exclusively play with a controller.
My main is the DualShock 4. Of all the current-gen options, it's my favorite in terms of ergonomics. In addition, the D-Pad is the only one I feel is actually competent (I really don't like the one used for the Xbox One controller and the Switch Pro Controller D-Pad can be weird and recognize wrong inputs sometimes) and I prefer the flat face buttons for action games. For compatibility, I just use the Steam Configuration Tool in Big Picture which allows you to pick various profiles for your controller (including basic Xinput).

I use an Xbox One controller for Microsoft games simply because it feels right (and my DS4 doesn't work anyway) and also for Destiny 2 because I need an excuse to use my Xbox controller and an FPS is a good one.

I use the Switch Pro Controller for emulated Nintendo games again simply cause it feels right.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
My hot take is that the Steam controller isn't worth it. It's bulky, feels like a prototype, and it just wasn't worth the effort for me to set up comfortable controls for each game. At no point did I find a configuration for any game that was better for me than an Xbox or PS controller.

SS4Rob , you can plug in your PS4 controller now and use it with DS4Windows (and I think Steam Overlay). 360/One requires a dongle but after you get that it's the easiest setup with the best controller that will work with every game. I like trying out different controllers on PC but always just wind up going back to the XBox One pad.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
I got a Steam Controller and a Dualshock 4, it really depends on the game genre, shooters, isometric RPGs, or whatever requires precise camera control is better with the SC, and the customization is just infinite, you can map anything to any button, create combinations, alternate modes, use gyro aiming, etc. But despite all of that, I sometimes get sick of it and use the DS4 without tinkering too much, it's just more simple for adventure games and action RPGs, and if the game allows Xinputs and KB&M inputs at the same time you get gyro aiming too. So either of those, but if you choose the Steam Controller prepare to tweak settings and get a little frustrated sometimes.

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
I still use my wired X360 controller, but if I had to buy one today I think I would take the Xbox One controller.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
The Steam controller is incredible (exept for dpad)--but you need to put in the time to configure it for each game.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox One. Even with the built in DS4 emulation by steam. The DS4 is highly customizable, but if you use other storefronts regularly you might run into problems. Some games on GOG didn't even recognize my DS4 (which was using Inputmapper at the time).

Inco

Oct 27, 2017
I have two: an 8bitdo FC30 Pro, which I use primarily for sidescrollers because of its d-pad, and a Steam Controller. The Steam Controller is great, and it allows so many options. The setup available for Dragon's Dogma that uses the two-stage trigger and gyroscope for archery was mind-blowing when I started using it.

Three things about the Steam Controller, though. First, the game must be in your Steam library. Making a shortcut for a non-Steam game will work, just as long as the overlay is active in the game. I had my Steam Controller working in Overwatch and HotS using this. Second, the controller is customisable to a ridiculous degree, which may require some effort on your part to fine tune it to your liking, if the default settings and the user-submitted settings aren't to your liking. For the most part, I've had no problems with the popular user-submitted settings for most games. Non-Steam games can also have settings available. Third, the d-pad can be hard to get used to, so if you play a lot of games where you really need that digital input, be aware of that.

Bouniter

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly both the Xbox and PS4 controllers work equally well for pc games so take your pick on which ever one you personally feel more comfortable with. The only time I would suggest otherwise would be if you wanted to play some mouse heavy pc games (rts for example) on your sofa with a controller in which case a steam controller may also be a handy addition to your arsenal.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
xb1 controller is your best bet. guaranteed 100% support for all games without any extra tweaking/3rd party app plus you get access to rumble triggers on supported titles

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
I just got with xbone controller but have always wanted to try a steam controller and see how well it works with guild wars 2.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
xbox 360 controller are the best.

i like xb1 controllers but something just feels off compared to the 360. 360 controllers are well built and will last a long time.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
My hot take is that the Steam controller isn't worth it. It's bulky, feels like a prototype, and it just wasn't worth the effort for me to set up comfortable controls for each game. At no point did I find a configuration for any game that was better for me than an Xbox or PS controller.
I really strongly disagree with this. Just using a standard controller layout with mouse-like joystick (trackball) controls feels better to me in almost any game where you have to move a camera than any dual analog controller. Without any significant game-specific configuration changes.

And on top of that you get two extra buttons to play with, which is absolutely crucial for me for games like Dark Souls these days.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
I use a 8bitdo SNES controller for 2D games and a Wii U pro controller for 3D games. Covers everything I need.

TheIcedP

Oct 27, 2017
Probably either the Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller since they're compatible with way more steam games then the PS4 controller is. I can't say too much on the Steam Controller because I never used it

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
I would recommend a controller with Xinput every time, but I REALLY hate the Xbox D-pads for playing 2D or old school games. Here are my 2 solutions:

1. Wii U Pro controller w/ Mayflash adapter
41jK%2BTGzztL.jpg

51HrOLhwBEL._SY355_.jpg

The Wii U Pro controller is perfection if the joystick layout is cool with you and you don't mind a lack of analogue triggers. Personally I am because I love how the buttons line up with the Dpad to give it a great SNES controller feel. As someone who plays a lot of retro-style games, this is a must for me. You can even change the button layout to fit the assigned button letters or an Xbox-style layout instead! Adapter comes with a switch to make your PC read it as an Xinput controller.

2. 8bitdo's SNES/NES/or Nintendo Classic series adapters
31%2B1h9pEfPL._SX425_.jpg

I freaking LOVE these things! 8bitdo produces versions for the NES, SNES, and the Nintendo Classic consoles. They read pretty much any Bluetooth controller in existence, but also Nintendo Switch controllers, Wii U controllers, PS3 & PS4 controllers, and more! They function perfectly with their intended consoles, but you can also plug them into any Android or PC device and the device will read whatever controller is connected to them as an Xinput device! Best of all these adapters are only $13! I've tested out a friend's and love it, but I'm admittedly still waiting on mine to arrive.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I use my DS4 wired. Once you get used to which buttons are A/B/X/Y, it's fine. Otherwise it can be a tad confusing at first.

Inco

Oct 27, 2017
I use a 8bitdo SNES controller for 2D games and a Wii U pro controller for 3D games. Covers everything I need.
I used to use a Wii U Pro as well, but I got really into racing games for a bit and the lack of an analogue trigger really hurts it in my opinion. Having to feather the throttle constantly is a pain in the ass. Otherwise, it's also a solid choice.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
I used to use a Wii U Pro as well, but I got really into racing games for a bit and the lack of an analogue trigger really hurts it in my opinion. Having to feather the throttle constantly is a pain in the ass. Otherwise, it's also a solid choice.
Yeah this is the only problem with the Wii U controller, if you're going to play racing games or even something like Sleeping Dogs, you'll want analogue triggers.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Xbox One controller, been using it since the beta wired drivers came out, not a single issue. The rumble triggers in the games that support them are a good bonus and I actually prefer it over the Xbox 360 controller.