• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
So when i got my Switch day one i decided to retire my Wii U. By this point i hardly played it and thought, "out with the old, in with the new"

However, I'm starting to get impatient at the lack of smash bros on the switch. I also have amiibos and bought a couple more. So i thought, id just reconnect my wii u exclusively for smash, until nintendo pull their finger out and bring it to switch.

Man oh man, i forgot how much of a complete faff the wii u is and its million cables. Hdmi cable, power cable, sensor bar cable, gamepad charging power cable, gamecube classic controller cable that plugs into wii remote.....after spending a out half an hour connecting everything, i couldnt be bothered playing it lol

So glad nintendo moved away from the whole wii thing in general and went with the switch.

Now give me smash godammit lol

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is still plugged in in case I want to play any Wii/Wii U games. Booting up Smash is not even a hassle for me since I can just use the Pro Controller.

Oct 28, 2017
Beerse, Belgium
i only wished a Metroid Prime had come out for the Wii U, the gamepad is perfect for the scanning

and i still believe that an emulator to play DS and 3DS games on it would have been a great fit

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
I'm beginning to think that history will not absolve the Wii U, especially if Nintendo continues to port all its worthwhile games. How many games does it still have all to its own?

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah WiiU is one console i did not play enough because i hated the hardware, the slow ui, long loading times and just the console in general.

Switch is my fav console hardware ever and the ui, while simple is soooo fast

chusetto

Oct 31, 2017
Krista
Mine is still plugged but never been on since I got the Switch. Maybe I'll "switch" on the WiiU to replay Bayonetta 2 =D

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't need to bother with the sensor bar if you don't intend on ever using Wii Remotes.

And the complaint about the gamecube adaptor is weird since you also need it on the Switch to use gamecube controllers?

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of stuff I'll have to bring back into my game room and hook up is why my Wii U will likely never leave my closet. If the two Zelda remasters make the jump to Switch, I'm probably going to just sell it.

Dec 2, 2017
i only wished a Metroid Prime had come out for the Wii U, the gamepad is perfect for the scanning

and i still believe that an emulator to play DS and 3DS games on it would have been a great fit

There were DS games released for it on Virtual Console. I don't know how Nintendo ever revisits those games after moving on from the dual screen format. It's possible to play with miniature versions of both screens on one, but it kinda sucks.

Cbrun44

I just kept mine plugged up. I have quite a few retail games I haven't even touched yet (not holding my breath I will ever get to them). Not to mention all of my Virtual Console stuff, both for the WiiU and Wii.

It definitely was a mess of a system, but so many good games!

Dec 15, 2017
Honestly it would have been fine if the tablet were just an optional accessory. I hate the thing and appreciate the WiiU at least a little more now that I can mostly ignore its existence with the changes they made. That said it still ruined Star Fox so thats a bummer.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
The Wii U is getting all sorts of weird rare stuff on it's Virtual Console. Might be worth plugging in just to check that stuff out.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to think that history will not absolve the WiiU, especially if Nintendo continues to port all its worthwhile games. How many games does it still have all to its own?

Off the top of my head:

Splatoon
Super Mario Maker
Smash Bros. for Wii U
New Super Mario Bros. U (+ Luigi)
Pikmin 3
Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (ok, probably not "worthwhile")
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Super Mario 3D World
Star Fox Zero

Edit:

Captain Toad
Paper Mario Color Splash
The Wonderful 101
NintendoLand

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Good thing you didn't turn it on because you would've been shocked how slow the OS is. I've got no idea how I used that thing for four years.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I'm tempted to reconnect mine if only for homebrew.

I miss being able to fire up GC games and N64 VC injects.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I still have mines plugged in to play Mario kart, smash 4 and splatoon from time to time. no I'm not rebuying games I paid full price for.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Your cable concerns sound like complete hyperbole. It takes like a minute to set up the Wii U. One thing I did notice after going back to mine though is how much heavier/bulkier the gamepad feels compared to the Switch.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Off the top of my head:

Splatoon
Super Mario Maker
Smash Bros. for Wii U
New Super Mario Bros. U (+ Luigi)
Pikmin 3
Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (ok, probably not "worthwhile")
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Super Mario 3D World
Star Fox Zero

You're missing Nintendo Land and Game & Wario. Which will both most likely never be ported.

FtheQueen

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2e6afaf4889f2afbb592ca65f06ee965--mario-nintendo-samsung-galaxy-cases.jpg

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Wii U can play Trauma Team
Switch cannot play Trauma Team
Thus,
Wii U>Switch

(I kid, as I too unplugged mine. Really hoping for all content to make the transition though. I have yet to sell mine for BC and a few WiiU games left behind still)

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
The Wii U puts Wii games out via HDMI. So for me there is no reason to plug the Wii U out ever. It's my Super Wii. And I will not rebuy all the Wii U games i already have on the switch. Bayonetta on Wii U is perfectly fine.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
My Wii U is still plugged in, but I admit to have never touched it in months.

I am one of those that wish for every good Wii U to get ported to Switch, even the ones that I've already bought. That shows how much I care for the Wii U these days.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I was the same way. Moving and setting up my Switch required the dock, a power cord, and an HDMI cable. The Wii U had TWO beefy AC adapters, the HDMI cable, the sensor bar, the USB for my hard drive, the power cord for the hard drive, the ethernet adapter.... so much to deal with!

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to plug in the sensor bar unless you're going to use the sensor bar.

You only need to plug in the gamepad charging cable in order to charge the gamepad—which is the same as every other controller with rechargeable batteries.

You don't need to plug in the Gamecube Controller adapter unless you're playing Smash and want to use Gamecube controllers.

And lastly, every console ever including the Switch requires you to connect HDMI and power.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to plug in the sensor bar unless you're going to use the sensor bar.

You only need to plug in the gamepad charging cable in order to charge the gamepad—which is the same as every other controller with rechargeable batteries.

You don't need to plug in the Gamecube Controller adapter unless you're playing Smash and want to use Gamecube controllers.

And lastly, every console ever including the Switch requires you to connect HDMI and power.
I do feel all that stuff is overblown. It's only as complicated as you make it. If you're using the Pro Controller you likely don't even need to charge it. The battery in that thing is a beast.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is all true but then you remember you have to bring out the Gamepad, period.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I still have mine plugged in, actually I'm just taking a break from Switch, playing Assassin's Creed 3 on the Wii U (decided to give it another go; surprisingly, despite the mostly boring intro, after the plot twist the game started to get quite good).

It's all right when it just sits there. I don't really mind that the OS is a bit slow even after getting used to the Switch, the only thing I really, really miss is the easy screenshot function that the Switch has.

But occasionally, when I'm taking the console to a friend's place for a round of Pikmin 3 multiplayer, I really wish they had ported that game over to the Switch, because it really is a nightmare to handle all the cables and stuff.

I was the same way. Moving and setting up my Switch required the dock, a power cord, and an HDMI cable. The Wii U had TWO beefy AC adapters, the HDMI cable, the sensor bar, the USB for my hard drive, the power cord for the hard drive, the ethernet adapter.... so much to deal with!

I also need to handle my hard drive, and I also have an externally powered one, but I haven't mentioned it because I really WISH I was able to use a USB hard drive with the Switch :-(

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I get it, but all you had to do was HDMI, power and turn that pro controller/gamepad on ;)

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
So is the Netflix app not working anymore in Europe? I tried starting it the other day but kept getting error messages...

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is still connected to the TV in my mother's house. I occasionally play it when I'm there spending a random weekend.

Right now I feel like the gamepad was a huge mistake when I play with it.

Deleted member 30569

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Exactly.

My Wii U will be plugged in for a long time to come. I'm still working on my backlog. And it upscales Wii games. And it's got amazing stuff in its Virtual Console: Mega Man X3, a pretty good amount of GBA games, Earthbound, Castlevania: Dracula X, etc. Even if the emulation is not perfect, it's the cheapest and most convenient way to get some of these games.

The Wii U is not a perfect console, but I think complaints about it are overblown.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Both my Wii and WiiU are still set up.

I have Mario Kart and Breath of the Wild on WiiU. Ditto for Bayo 1 and 2. I am tempted to do a system transfer of my Wii to WiiU but then I'd be losing GameCube functionality and the Wii doesn't take up much space anyway.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
OP, that is exactly why I want to get into CEMU and just play on PC the games I haven't gotten through or just want to play more of. That's kind of a pain too though as they did their hardest to make it more complex than the Wii.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure the exact names but there was a bomberman puzzle game, 3 shmups, and an rpg called Necromancer. All were on WiiU VC in Japan and are TG16/CD games that were never released in the US. Looks like Konami is simply bringbing those over until they exhaust the supply they released in Japan. No rando of blood on that list unfortunately.