• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
My son still plays the Wii U almost daily... so my system still sees a lot of game time. Even I had a short run with it this year since I forgot my Switch on a business travel and kind of decided to kill some backlog on the system. Had quite a few indie games on it that was kind of half way through. So I beat them - 4 games in like 8 days. I like the Wii U, probably going to go back to it and beat some other games in some time.

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of the opposite actually. I had a Switch for months and months without even hooking it up to the TV. The Wii U was plugged in there and my son was just starting to get into playing a few games. Super Mario 3D World is perfect for playing with a child, and Switch really doesn't have anything like it.

Unfortunately, my Wii U stopped working, and I've been waiting for a visit to the U.S. in order to send it in for repairs. We finally hooked up the Switch and my son loves Mario Odyssey, but we have more fun together when we play 3D World in CEMU. Plus I have a lot of unfinished Wii U games I'd like to get back to.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Wii U is pretty much my Pikmin 3 machine at this point. If Nintendo would finally release something Pikmin on the Switch, I'd buy that in a heartbeat, no matter if it's Pikmin 4, Pikmin 3 DX or whatever. Just gimme that game, dammit.

InteractiveSoftwareUser

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head:

Splatoon
Super Mario Maker
Smash Bros. for Wii U
New Super Mario Bros. U (+ Luigi)
Pikmin 3
Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (ok, probably not "worthwhile")
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Super Mario 3D World
Star Fox Zero

Edit:

Captain Toad
Paper Mario Color Splash
The Wonderful 101
NintendoLand

Game & Wario (it was awesome goddammit!)
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Affordable Space Adventures
Zelda WW and TP remasters

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I own BOTW on the Wii U. Unplugging the Wii U would be like removing a small holidaying island like Malta off the face of the earth.

My Wii U IS Hyrule.

InteractiveSoftwareUser

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have mines plugged in to play Mario kart, smash 4 and splatoon from time to time. no I'm not rebuying games I paid full price for.

Reasonable post is reasonable. Having both MK8 and 8DX could be considered a bit superflous unless portability is of interest. And yes Smash 4 Wii U is superior in most ways to the 3DS-version (again, if portability isn't a factor). I also agree with you on Splatoon. I'm a fellow fan, but unless you have two Wii Us I see no reason for you to purchase a second copy. Especially if you own a Switch and haven't picked up the excellent sequel.

Escoe

Nov 6, 2017
Was playing it today with my son. Its excellent for a 4 year old. Smash brothers is mind blowing to him. Its a lot of fun playin with him.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mine is still hooked up because I intend to play wonderful 101 and bayo 2 at some point. Switch taking up all my gaming time though

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mine is still plugged in and set to go, except it's just been collecting dust while I play other games. Homebrew is easy to get on this so it's more of a Wii and GC machine when the mood strikes.

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I played mine for the first time since Switch launch again during the Christmas holidays.

I was soo turned off by the slow UI first but once I got passed it, I have played Paper Mario, Super Mario Maker, Bayonetta 2, Smash 4 and many more.

Was the Wii U a commercial failure? Sure. But there's no argument that the Wii U has some special games in it's library that I will hold dearly in my heart forever. So many wonderful memories! :)

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The amount of people who have quickly moved on from Wii U kind of proves how nonsense the comparisons were with it and Dreamcast that some people kept making.

Pikmin 3's freaking incredible though and the gamepad really makes that experience unique and special.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is still set up because of Mario Kart. I refuse to buy it again and I like the controls on Wii U anyways. It doesn't get much use or anything, but it's there if I need it.

Dec 15, 2017
Mine is still set up because of Mario Kart. I refuse to buy it again and I like the controls on Wii U anyways. It doesn't get much use or anything, but it's there if I need it.

I re-bought it like a dummy and without thinking had friends over to play it 4 player split screen. All I had was a pro controller and the joycons. Everyone refused to use the joycons sideways so we ended up only being able to play 2 player. I have no idea how to solve this without dropping $200 on 2 more pro controllers, which I'm not about to do.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
My WiiU Pad is on it's charger right behind my Switch. I play them about the same amount honestly. I have a lot of VC games that are quick "go-to" games (Punch-Out!! being #1) and Mario Maker is too amazing to quit. Then I still have Yoshi and Kirby Rainbow to get through. Never played 101 past the demo so I have to pick that up soon. Great little system but I'm glad that they moved on from it. The Switch is super streamlined compared to the WiiU and it's portable too!

Edit: I also still use the WiiU for Mario Kart, even though my Switch came in a pre-made bundle with Mario Kart 8. Since I already had the wiiU version I brought it to Walmart and 'returned' it for store credit and picked up BotW.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I re-bought it like a dummy and without thinking had friends over to play it 4 player split screen. All I had was a pro controller and the joycons. Everyone refused to use the joycons sideways so we ended up only being able to play 2 player. I have no idea how to solve this without dropping $200 on 2 more pro controllers, which I'm not about to do.
I spent far too much money on Wii and Wii U accessories to just dump them. The Wii U is a good party machine, so if I only use it for that I'll be okay. The Switch is more of a single player console for me.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Mine has a broken HDMI port so on top of connecting everything in OP, I also have to juggle component cables and separate audio cables going into audio receiver. Still has it connected though because I want to finish Wind Waker one day.