• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Link. Didn't see a thread.

Adults who are at least 21 years old can legally purchase recreational marijuana from select retail shops in California beginning Monday, a milestone that instantly makes the state the world's largest legal marijuana marketplace.

Sales begin just after 6 a.m. local time at shops that obtained a temporary adult-use retail license from the Bureau of Cannabis Control, the state agency that oversees the industry. Many more retail outlets will open in the months to come.

California, the most populous U.S. state, began the nation's medical marijuana trend in 1996, and holds an outsized influence in national policy as it begins recreational marijuana sales under an initiative approved by voters in 2016. The state's new recreational marijuana industry has a projected value of as much as $7 billion ― enough to make it the world's largest legal marijuana market ― and is predicted to eventually generate $1 billion annually in local and state tax revenue.

California's new recreational marijuana law allows adults 21 and older to legally possess up to one ounce of marijuana. Adults can also grow up to six cannabis plants at home for personal use. It remains illegal to openly use marijuana in public, and smoking pot is banned anywhere that tobacco smoking is banned, so recreational consumers will have to enjoy their new rights in private.

The law goes beyond the regulation and taxation of marijuana, and aims to repair damage from the country's failed war on drugs. Individuals with prior marijuana-related convictions that wouldn't have been a crime under the new law, or would have resulted in a lesser punishment, can petition courts to have their record reclassified, or cleared altogether.

As of September, some 4,500 people had petitioned courts to change their marijuana-related sentences.

Edit -

Is there any kind of map that lists where these facilities are at?

Link one.

Link two.

Last edited:

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
Plane.jpg

This is great news. I visited Cali enough that I finally got a card for myself, guess I don't need it anymore.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
oh hell yeah.

ZYSQKGN.gif

0fIUpWN.gif

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now if only MA would respect the will of the voters and stop messing around with our legalization law.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile in Maine, retail sales of it are getting banned left and right. It's seriously pissing me off.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dope.

Only walk in store is in another county though so I'll be sticking with deliveries. Even if there was a shop near me I don't think i'd go. Afraid I'd get robbed.

Prophaniti

Oct 28, 2017
OH FUCK I FORGOT! 2018, the best year ever. God damn I needed a good year after 2017. Now just give me a Trump impeachment.

Oct 30, 2017

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
It's baffling that there aren't any shops in LA ready to go. I guess West Hollywood starts tomorrow?

Illest1

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember way back in '96 when the medicinal marijuana initiative was being voted on. The news was showing it as losing and I remember being bummed out and going to bed only to wake up in the morning and seeing it had passed. What a weird time.

We've come a long way since though. California paved the way and even though others advanced a little quicker in recent years while CA was doing the heavy lifting, California has now caught up.

Best state in the Union.. for many reasons.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this puts the pressure on more blue states to do the same.

I imagine it'll eventually be legal nationally but it's gonna be years for us in the south.

Ultryx

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Just wanted to say that any cities who have banned this shit... you don't deserve, nor should you benefit from any of the tax benefits this provides.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been surprised by some people I know who want to start using recreational marijuana because it's legal now.

(Although I will admit seeing them high should prove very interesting.)

rhn94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Happy for everyone who uses marijuana but please be considerate about others. Not everyone likes the smell.

nothing to do with being a marijuana user, you can say similar things about drinkers (well not the smell part, but just behaviour, etiquette etc.)

eventually most people won't even smoke, they'll just use distillates, so don't worry nimby'ers

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Colorado
Washington
Alaska
Oregon
DC
Massachusetts
Nevada
California
Maine

New York and the other Northeast states are the next dominos to fall.

Last edited:

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now one needs to open up closer to where I live. I'm not driving that far!

Oct 27, 2017
Last time I was in Venice Beach (2016) I was thinking how absurd it was that it wasn't fully legal. The medical places where basically giving away cards.....Hope this gets the ball rolling in other states.....