• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Your office has specifically stated that they will test you when you return from vacations? That's super shitty, really vindictive and probably not cost effective. Do you think they would actually pay for all of those tests?

While they aren't explicit, they do stuff like the post below:

My travel coordinator is part of HR and whenever I would travel to anywhere there is legal recreational marijuana I got a "...and as a reminder, we have the ability to test at random" .

Hate it so much,

And it sucks cause I can't partake on the weekends or even when I'm off work for two weeks like over the holidays because as much as I enjoy relaxing with some cannabis it's not worth losing my salary over.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Plus, I keep reading that if you still have a medicinal card you get a tax break when you buy in stores?

They really are practically giving them away, the last several years it's felt like a huge joke getting a weed card, like a stupid formality we've had to deal with while we wait for the laws to catch up. I think in the 3-4 years I've had mine I've spent less that 10 minutes combined actually talking to the doctors when they sign my rec. I think my first or second time I was in their office for less than two minutes.

I know there's supposed to be additional taxes if you don't have a recommendation but I don't know the details.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Does this also let you smoke outside in public or is it more like alcohol rules?

Dec 18, 2017
I drink occasionally, usually only on big holidays. As was probably evident from, uh, me going wild in the 1,000 year old dragons thread instead of being earnest and serious. :/

I have to wonder if occasional recreational marijuana usage would be better. I would sure be open to it and it would be sure better for my liver than ever having too much alcohol. I wish there were more studies about it, though. That and psilocybin. I would try either if they could be proven safe. I like rave culture but I don't want to achieve euphoria if it hurts my body. But I'd be more than happy to try something if I knew it weren't harmful or prevent me from living a long life. I bet it would be a lot of fun to take some weed or psilocybin and just hang out in VRChat.

And I bet the psychedelic stuff I watch and listen to like this would be a lot more fun on something:

I sure wouldn't want to smoke it. Smoking things of any type doesn't really seem healthy for you, and your lungs in particular. But brownies or something would be pretty okay. Hopefully this happens eventually that it is legal everywhere. My state only has medical marijuana legalized, but that is progress. This will also hopefully lead to many more studies. And if not safe today, hopefully lead to the development of synethetic drugs that are totally safe and healthy for the vast majority of people.

And most exciting, is the fact that people will stop going to jail or prison for this. It is horrible that people enforce victimless crimes of any variety and that people are suffering, just because they wanted to get high. Doesn't everyone want to be happy? Taking a substance that you feel will make you enjoy life more is a natural human temptation or desire. Not something to be treated like a heinous crime to be punished. It is based on the idea of discouraging behavior by setting an example of people. Which in my opinion is a terrible way of using law.

The thing I am by far the most excited for about this is the reduction in suffering. Less people being treated horribly by the police and state for no good reason, a victimless crime. Though I fear that abusive people in power will just find and use other excuses to mistreat others. At least they now have one less tool in their toolbox to do so.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
My travel coordinator is part of HR and whenever I would travel to anywhere there is legal recreational marijuana I got a "...and as a reminder, we have the ability to test at random" .

Hate it so much,

Don't worry too much about it. Every place I've worked that had "random" drug testing never, ever tested anyone randomly unless legally required to do so (impaired at work, car accident on company property, etc.). Testing someone is more work for someone at your company, and no one wants to do more work. That said, if you work in any sort of profession that could impact public safety, please stay off the weed and alcohol.

theDream

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of noise how this is not a great thing because of its being implemented, as it is going to be too cost prohibitive. Very high taxes and crazy regs.

Just some food for thought. But apparently 95% dispensaries are going to close because of legalisation laws.

Additionally, marijuana laws are full of excise taxes, which are similar to those placed on goods such as tobacco and alcohol in order to discourage use and sale. Businesses licensed in the new Cannabis Distributor category will soon have to pay an excise tax of about 33 cents per gram of marijuana under Proposition 64. This compounds at the retail level, where an additional 15 percent must be collected and paid to the state. In other words, the cost of each gram of marijuana, generally about $15-19 total under the current tax scheme, will rise by more than $3.

Dispensaries will soon pay a hefty annual licensing fee, too. Magnolia's fee will be $79,000. This is the same with cultivators, manufacturers and distributors; these annual fees and these taxes are enormous, and the costs will have to be passed along to consumers. Add to this the cost of the high-end surveillance and security systems and the other facility improvements each business will be required to make, and the costs continue to pile up.

It's simple from there. If the retail price is too high, and the sales, cultivation and manufacturing permits are too difficult to get, the underground economy will continue to thrive. The marijuana industry will continue to lack equity, with permits going only to people with wealth, while those with low incomes and people of color will continue to be disproportionately targeted for arrest and jailed.

http://www.dailycal.org/2017/12/01/taxes-costly-regulations-wreak-havoc-marijuana-industry/

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
im high as a kite rn

chers
LiM4elF.gif

theDream

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buying legal marijuana in California could be pricey enough to keep the black market healthy.
Between customers, retailers and growers, taxes on cannabis may reach as high as 45% in parts of the state, according to a Fitch Ratings report. Those high taxes may keep consumers away from legal marijuana stores once the recreational retail market goes live on January 1.

"High effective tax rates on California cannabis may complicate the state's efforts to establish legal markets" said analysts Stephen Walsh and Karen Ribble in a Fitch Ratings report on California's marijuana taxes.

California marijuana consumers are going to have to pay a combination of state and local taxes that vary by municipality. Growers and sellers have their own taxes, too.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/31/news/economy/california-cannabis-tax-fitch/index.html

California will include a 15% levy on all cannabis sales in the state, including medical pot products, starting in January. Meanwhile, local governments are also adding taxes for sellers and growers that could result in a 70% increase in the price of a small bag of good quality marijuana in parts of the state.

http://fortune.com/2017/11/06/california-marijuana-tax/

Seems like it might better when you had medical weed but not recreational as it was so easy to get, prices were great too, and mad variety. Seems like its going to be really expensive now.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's as successful here as it is in Colorado.

I just hope some people don't take the legalization as permission to be stupid under the influence like driving.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a single store open in Los Angeles? I thought for sure there would be a bunch near me. I guess one is opening tomorrow in West Hollywood, but that's a bit of a drive.

Boogie9IGN

Nov 24, 2017
Bay Area
Thinking of hittin up a store tomorrow to see if I can find something I may like. Usually weed either makes me KO or throw up then KO but I've been wanting to try again for a while (maybe an edible)

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish White Castle was here. I'd buy a huge case and get baked.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
How long for things like ointments, creams, salves, and the like to be available for joint aches and pains?

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
Gorilla Glue
Blue Dream
Dutch Treat

- Great strains to try, especially for newbies.
- You get what you pay for, while cheap bud is bad, the difference in quality from mid to premium is not worth the jump in price.
- Get a grinder, you will save money by not wasting bud!
- Be in a good head space your first time. Be safe and smart Cali!

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Never had weed (not against it, but don't smoke, myself), always wanted to try... Something. Edibles? Idk.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
So here's my question—last time I was out West my buddy with a med card gave me a 200mg brownie, all one piece. Can you get these recreationally now? I think they're capped at 100mg now and they have to be broken up, but I want the most concentrated stuff I can get so l can break off a piece and keep the rest for a while.

I visited Seattle early last year but all their edibles were little 10mg servings that were kind of expensive.
BRUH

There is a company that makes 1,000mg brownies. I ate a small bit of one once and when I woke up the next day, I thought I was dying. Like I thought that I had ruined my brain and was going to be mentally handicapped I felt so totally fucked up, I was terrified. I will never, ever try anything like that again. Edit: Fuck I'm actually high right now and just thinking about that morning is giving me anxiety attacks jesus

How long does that take to affect somebody? I planned on trying small bits anyway.
Typically takes about 30-45 minutes but it can take up to two hours for some people. For me sometimes I get a mild sensation immediately and then the actual high kicks in after an hour or so, sometimes it's 30 minutes on the dot, sometimes it'll take hours of waiting and I have to vape a little to kickstart it for some inexplicable reason. The thing to be careful of that it seems every stoner has a story about (including myself of course), is don't eat some, wait 20-30 minutes, "I don't feel anything better eat more" and then start stacking highs, once the first one kicks in you might have fun but then that second or third one will hit on top of how high you already are, and you will blast of into space. Some people aren't super into that so just remember to give edibles plenty of time to kick in before you try more.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking for another job soon so I'll probably hold off until I find out all the testing details and such.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting so fucking high when I get back. I don't even like smoking, but I'm just going to celebrate my freedom.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
I had no idea the price would be increasing... bad news for those who have a medical need:

LA Times: Recreational pot sales roll out in California, with celebratory 'blunts' and some anxiety

When he went to purchase an ounce of low-grade cannabis from his regular West Hollywood dispensary, he was told that the new law would significantly drive up prices. State, city and sales taxes will push up the price of the drug by more than a third.

Those who register with the Los Angeles County Department of Health and enroll in the medical marijuana program will be exempted from paying sales taxes, but they will still see a 25% increase.

Gordon, who is between jobs, said the increase will hurt him and other patients who use the drug for medical purposes.

"I don't mind paying the extra money if the money is actually being used for good," said Gordon, who uses cannabis to ease his sciatica pain.

At a nearby marijuana shop, a bud tender said that patients have expressed shock and anger at the increased cost.

"This is not right," he said. He requested anonymity because he feared losing his job for speaking about the issue without the shop owner's permission.

The bud tender said he would not have voted to legalize recreational marijuana use if he knew the cost would jump so high. He was worried that additional tax increases would be enacted, and that shop owners will pass on the cost of running a legal marijuana business to customers.
Buying legal marijuana in California could be pricey enough to keep the black market healthy.
Between customers, retailers and growers, taxes on cannabis may reach as high as 45% in parts of the state, according to a Fitch Ratings report. Those high taxes may keep consumers away from legal marijuana stores once the recreational retail market goes live on January 1.

"High effective tax rates on California cannabis may complicate the state's efforts to establish legal markets" said analysts Stephen Walsh and Karen Ribble in a Fitch Ratings report on California's marijuana taxes.

California marijuana consumers are going to have to pay a combination of state and local taxes that vary by municipality. Growers and sellers have their own taxes, too.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/31/news/economy/california-cannabis-tax-fitch/index.html

California will include a 15% levy on all cannabis sales in the state, including medical pot products, starting in January. Meanwhile, local governments are also adding taxes for sellers and growers that could result in a 70% increase in the price of a small bag of good quality marijuana in parts of the state.

http://fortune.com/2017/11/06/california-marijuana-tax/

Seems like it might better when you had medical weed but not recreational as it was so easy to get, prices were great too, and mad variety. Seems like its going to be really expensive now.

Up to a 70% increase, that insane!

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh the prices don't even seem that bad. When I was in college it was $20 a gram. That was in 2003 dollars, so over $27 today using a CPI calculator. Most people would buy a half-eighth for $25 or $30 though.

Maybe I should finally try it. I am 27 and have never smoked weed before cause the STARS deputy that spoke to my 4th grade class said drugs are bad.

Marijuana isn't a drug.

People have sucked dick for coke (I've seen it.) You ever hear of anyone sucking dick for marijuana?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Not a single store open in Los Angeles? I thought for sure there would be a bunch near me. I guess one is opening tomorrow in West Hollywood, but that's a bit of a drive.
West Hollywood stores will start sellingt hem on Jan 2, I believe.

I don't really care for the price increases. I don't smoke but the convenience factor alone will ensure that most people will just want to walk to the neighborhood store if they ever want to smoke some.

Kinda like whenever I'm buying a glass of wine for a party, I just go to the nearest store that has the wine I like. I'm not gonna go to an out of the way location just to save 5 bucks.