Red Dead Online Beta |OT| 3:10 to Launch

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
No twisting, like I said, the game is literally geared towards ruining other people's fun. It's rockstars intent, if it wasn't, they would have learned from GTA online's grief-fest and put more systems in place to prevent this, but instead they actively encourage it.

The people who are rubberbanding their controller and lessening the experience for others are worse than the people actually playing the game the way it was meant to be.
Because rockstar made a bad game design in order to push gold bar sales does not make it that the people playing into that aren’t lessening the experience more for people than the people finding work arounds. It just means that rockstar is offensive with their game design relying on griefers. Good game design should not rely on people who like to ruin the fun for other people. That should be discouraged cause they should want everyone to enjoy their game.

But at least you acknowledge rockstar does this.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so I understand that it's from a Stranger mission basycally? If so, I'm cool with that and I'd like to know where to activate that specific mission.
Its a random dishonorable mission that can be given by Foreman, Joe, the Boy, Langton and I think Flaco and Shaky.

It may well depend on a player being within the area you’re in in order to appear every so often.

What sucks about it is that it lets the target known they’re being hunted as soon as the other player accepts the mission. Then the other player has to sit through a bunch of dialogue while the target is already getting away.

S’pose it just gives the target a nice head start, but there needs to be an option to skip the stranger dialogue anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the late reply.

Basically there's the passive ability slots (Hold LB and push Y to open up the ability loadout menu) and the first slot is for dead-eye. Now, it seems that my game had bugged up and I got to use any ability I wanted, because I changed it up a couple hours ago and now it's showing the final two as locked to Lv44 & Lv50.

The ability I was talking about is the Lv50 one. While dead-eye is active, players can't lock onto you when they pull the left trigger, they have to free aim at you. The first tier of it drains dead eye insanely quick, so I mostly used it for situations where I wanted to quickly pop out and I knew 2-3 other people would pop out instantly to try and get me.

I swapped out to try the one that lets you paint targets to shoot them automatically like in singleplayer, but now I regret swapping it out. :P
Damn, makes sense that it is Level 50.

TBH, I'd prefer that just be a generic function of Dead Eye, and Diving.

Both of those could be core mechanics to "unlock" another player's aim. If you knew how to use it you could level the "auto aim hellscape" playingfield we're all dealing with.

There is some kind of bug where your character will look older than the one you create at this screen...so add a couple of years in your brain and go from there. I heard about this before I started so I went as young as possible (18) and my guy for sure looks like he is in his 30's.
Very unlikely a bug, could be an intentional design choice. People back then, especially on a frontier, were infinitely less healthy than we are today and as a result aged much harder and more quickly.

Indeed, the whole character creator system seems to have been built to make pretty authentic looking frontier-era people. I sort of appreciate it.

Oct 25, 2017
Gone
The people who are rubberbanding their controller and lessening the experience for others are worse than the people actually playing the game the way it was meant to be.
Nah.

Is anyone having the issue today where after accepting a job, it won't start/activate?
Not a today issue as far as I know. When I last played days ago I had the same issue.

Apr 19, 2018
Ok so I understand that it's from a Stranger mission basycally? If so, I'm cool with that and I'd like to know where to activate that specific mission.
Yes, and a very annoying one. Usually it will target someone extremely far away. And even if it targets someone near by, they usually just run away.

Apr 19, 2018
Alright well I can't get any missions to work anymore so... I guess more fishing?

edit: after some DC's and server hopping I got one mission to work, but now the other near by still isn't working. lol

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a "Beta" usually means all features in the game are in and pretty much complete, it's just a testing/refinement build. We pretty much know for a face that's not the case here.

The limits of the term have certainly been stretched in recent years. That said, it does vary from studio to studio.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone on PS4 need an extra body or would like to team up?

Also, although no one expressed any interest, I set up a simple Discord channel if folks wanted to use that as an avenue to find teammates...

Oct 25, 2017
They don't need to do that. They just need to stop having shots near by cancel the fishing. It makes no fucking sense - but then again, that seems the be the case with most of the online at this juncture.
I guess it’s to ensure people fishing are able to deal with incoming attacks rather than being caught out and killed mid-animation.

So long as they make it as un-exploitable as possible, I don’t see why they don’t do it.

I mean, this makes zero sense. It was in their previous game, zero reason why it shouldn't be in this, "Beta" or not.
I could be wrong, but I suspect they aren’t rolling out all the features in one go to make testing, data gathering and all that malarkey that much easier.

I was also being cheeky, hence the ;)

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a second. Salmon is $2.50 now? Well..

I can get more XP and money hunting random animals anyways. What is the point of fishing now? Trash money. No XP. F this.

Dec 4, 2018
Yes, but it isn't needed unless you play with more than 3 people usually.
To add onto this, if you go with the larger posse, you'll have an option to "disband." Don't ever select this option as reports indicate it is functionally a "delete," and you'll have wasted that 200 dollars.

Can give your posse a cool name, and have up to seven, but also keep in mind that your daily upkeep fee will also increase to two dollars. I got a trophy for buying the persistent camp, so FYI if going for the Platinum.

The larger camps are neat, and it's a nice change to stroll around vs the small ones. Bit devoid of features, but it's cool that bedrolls dynamically appear for each online and slotted member of your posse. Only your own bedroll will access wardrobe options.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
New to this site, but happy to be here. After years of PC elitism, I shelled out for the RDR2 PS4 Pro bundle and have been very happy with the purchase.

To the topic at hand, my character is at about level 21, and I have some tips to help y'all along.

I've actually made a few friends on Red Dead Online, a new experience coming from PC, and one of these friends has word "Killah" in his handle and named his horse "My Horse." A maniac, in other words.

If you anticipate a hostile player and have pelts on your horse, hitch your horse to a random tree and the pelts won't despawn. Also if you kinda stand your horse over a carcass it skips the skinning animation (by the way, if you down a three star, you can get money for the perfect skin AND a perfect carcass).
PSN: svvagerific
Great post, lots of helpful tips and even some stuff I wasn't yet aware of. I struggled not to laugh hard in the quiet office as I read the part I marked.

The hitching tip is great. I only just recently discovered both the joy and payoff of hunting. I had heard it payed decent money, I just didn't think it would be fun to do online but I was wrong. I think it might be even more fun online because well, first of all the game is fun as hell, but also because of the added tension of other players in the world. I've even hunted along side other people while not being in the same posse. I wanted to try fishing as I heard there is good money to be made there but I was surprised to see the fishing rod's level requirements. I think I'm 14 now.

So I should skin a perfect kill, and then pick up the skinned carcass or should I just sell the carcass without skinning?

Oct 26, 2017
  • Increasing the cash and gold payments across a number of different activities including Free Roam Missions, Free Roam Events, replays of A Land of Opportunities Missions, Showdown Series modes and more.
  • Reducing the prices of most weapons in the Wheeler, Rawson & Co Catalogue and Gunsmiths. For players that have already purchased weapons at the previous prices, we will automatically deposit the difference to player balances starting today - please look for an alert message the next time you log in to the Red Dead Online Beta to notify you of this change, refunds may take up until December 10th to reach all players.
  • Balancing the values of select pelts, skins and fish as well as horse reviver and pamphlets.
Sounds good to be honest. Gonna be getting a free $200 from my Schofield purchases!

Free 15 gold bars too for playing before the end of today, nice.

Edge

Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So they buffed PvP modes and nerfed fishing and hunting? Haha.
That's really mind boggling in my opinion. That's against every natural game feeling the multiplayer had left. They sucked the very last part out of it now with that change and just don't seem to understand how to improve the online experience at all.
It really is like there is a totally different and worse team on the multiplayer than on the single player.

"For players that have already purchased weapons at the previous prices, we will automatically deposit the difference to player balances starting today - please look for an alert message the next time you log in to the Red Dead Online Beta to notify you of this change, refunds may take up until December 10th to reach all players. "

Fair play

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Oh, they changed some balancing? Was there a patch?

And they really nerved fishing?

What.
The.
Fuck.

What were they thinking?

You guys are actually surprised? People were already predicting this. Fishing was profitable enough that it made it easier to avoid buying gold bars to skip the grind. The only thing I'm surprised at is I thought they were going to "fix" the economy friday so I expected it tommorrow, not today.

Oh well, I'll still fish when I want to relax. It's still pretty good considering you don't lose the fish if some one attacks you or you go in a mission or every other reason you lose a carcass.

Though, I have to say if they nerfed fishing and hunting enough that you really can't get by on it, they may have solved my problem and I'll already be done with this game. I'm not interested in the PvP modes and that stuff, I just want to free roam, do some gang hide outs, and hunt and fish. I guess they want to make sure only people who enjoy messing with each other can enjoy the game.

Pity, the game has so much potential to appeal to a wider audience, but I guess that wider audience isn't as likely to buy gold bars. (same thing with GTA honestly. But I've found ways around having to play with randoms. So far it seems they've managed to eliminate those in Red Dead).

Oct 26, 2017
One guy finished replaying the final "good" mission. He got $21, 300XP for around 10 minutes of playtime, including cutscenes. Also digging this upgrade, up from $4 or whatever it was before.

tldr: they nerfed two types of fishes, buffed everything else.

"As an added thank you for playing and helping us through the beta period, we're also awarding everyone that joined in to play the Red Dead Online Beta at any point through midnight PST today with a gift of RDO$250 and 15 Gold Bars. Gifts should start arriving today and will hit all eligible players by Friday, December 14th. "

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
That's really mind boggling in my opinion. That's against every natural game feeling the multiplayer had left. They sucked the very last part out of it now with that change and just don't seem to understand how to improve the online experience at all.
It really is like there is a totally different and worse team on the multiplayer than on the single player.
No... there is a different motivation between single player amd multiplayer. Single player has to make a good game that people want to play so they buy the game. Their profits is in making a game that is appealing enough to get people to spend money on it. I'll even go so far (and I know some people think I'm crazy cause much earlier in this thread I already got into an argument with them) that single player is there to get the foot int he door, to get people to buy the game so that they can get them to go try multiplayer eventually.

The multiplayer team's motivation is to try to wring more money out of people who bought the game. They don't need to convince you the game is good... just good enough to play for "free". What they need to do is convince you that you need to pay to really see the true fun out of the game. They have to purposely design it imbalanced and badly enough that you feel pressured to pay. But they have to balance that just enough with some fun so you can see the potential (it teases you that it could be a good game if just...).

Don't be fooled. Rockstar knows exactly what they are doing. They've done this before, they ahve experience. And they have a lot of people and I'd say probably very qualified people. None of this was "accidental". Hell, I saw some one propose and it sounds quite realistic that the economy was bjorked on purpose so they can look "reasonable" when they "fix" it.

Edge

Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
"As an added thank you for playing and helping us through the beta period, we're also awarding everyone that joined in to play the Red Dead Online Beta at any point through midnight PST today with a gift of RDO$250 and 15 Gold Bars. Gifts should start arriving today and will hit all eligible players by Friday, December 14th. "

That's nice of them.
But who knows what 15 Gold bars are really worth when you have metal weapon modifications that cost over 50 gold bars....

Interested in seeing the real money prices.

Apr 19, 2018
One guy finished replaying the final "good" mission. He got $21, 300XP for around 10 minutes of playtime, including cutscenes. Also digging this upgrade, up from $4 or whatever it was before.

tldr: they nerfed two types of fishes, buffed everything else.
What is the other fish outside salmon?

Dec 4, 2018
Great post, lots of helpful tips and even some stuff I wasn't yet aware of. I struggled not to laugh hard in the quiet office as I read the part I marked.

The hitching tip is great. I only just recently discovered both the joy and payoff of hunting. I had heard it payed decent money, I just didn't think it would be fun to do online but I was wrong. I think it might be even more fun online because well, first of all the game is fun as hell, but also because of the added tension of other players in the world. I've even hunted along side other people while not being in the same posse. I wanted to try fishing as I heard there is good money to be made there but I was surprised to see the fishing rod's level requirements. I think I'm 14 now.

So I should skin a perfect kill, and then pick up the skinned carcass or should I just sell the carcass without skinning?
That's right, pick up the carcass and stow it on your steed after skinning it. You could also lasso the unskinned animal and drag it to the butcher, then skin it after you've sold some stuff. All of that dragging doesn't effect quality. Skinned carcasses can't be lassoed as of a few days ago.

The three star baby alligators are a good payout, far more efficient vs the bigguns since the skins can be stowed like you would deer hides, draped on the back of your horse

It looks like they haven't nerfed the exotic birds north of Saint Denis, thankfully. They have smaller carcasses so you can hang them on the side of your horse, like bunnies.