• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I haven't seen anyone mention this yet but yesterday, some random guy put an assassination bounty on my head out of nowhere. I was fishing and midding my own business when the message popped up. I went to check the map and I saw his red dot coming my way. There was a timer on screen ( i think it was 7 minutes) to try and survive. Anyway, I packed my shit and rode straight at him and was able to kill him first. The timer kept going and I saw him respawn a bit further so I rode the other way with about 5 minutes left. He was never able to catch me so I ended up ''winning'' that event and it gave me some cash and XP.

Anyone else got this? Is this a new option they added? I really wish R* would give more info about everything.

Oh yeah, not exactly that but a griefer killed me while I was hunting, I respawned and I saw him coming my way, I was like "ok, I'll let the jerk kill me again", he did. I respawned and he came after me again, I tried to tie him but I failed and he killed me once more. Next time I recieved a message telling me to kill him and get revenge but it was in a quest form, I went after him and killed him while he was standing (probably at the menu or something) and I got a new message but I didn't pay attention.

Looked like a new thing to me.

Dwight

Dec 4, 2018
I haven't seen anyone mention this yet but yesterday, some random guy put an assassination bounty on my head out of nowhere. I was fishing and minding my own business when the message popped up. I went to check the map and I saw his red dot coming my way. There was a timer on screen ( i think it was 7 minutes) to try to survive. Anyway, I packed my shit and rode straight at him and was able to kill him first. The timer kept going and I saw him respawn a bit further so I rode the other way with about 5 minutes left. He was never able to catch me so I ended up ''winning'' that event and it gave me some cash and XP.

Anyone else got this? Is this a new option they added? I really wish R* would give more info about everything.

I had a friend in my posse have an assassination put out on him. It was pretty tense waiting for anyone to come at us, but we had high ground and a strong position, so no takers.

I believe it comes from the Stranger that was cool with Micah, he had a messed up face and a chest tattoo. That Stranger picked your name out of the lobby and gave it to the guy you killed. It is completely random though, very cool that you hunted down your assassin instead.

Oct 30, 2017
I had a friend in my posse have an assassination put out on him. It was pretty tense waiting for anyone to come at us, but we had high ground and a strong position, so no takers.

I believe it comes from the Stranger that was cool with Micah, he had a messed up face and a chest tattoo. That Stranger picked your name out of the lobby and gave it to the guy you killed. It is completely random though, very cool that you hunted down your assassin instead.
Ok so I understand that it's from a Stranger mission basycally? If so, I'm cool with that and I'd like to know where to activate that specific mission.

Dwight

Dec 4, 2018
Ok so I understand that it's from a Stranger mission basycally? If so, I'm cool with that and I'd like to know where to activate that specific mission.
I think the guy's name is...Bear? Or something like that. He does dishonorable missions as does Shaky. I know you want assassinations but I believe it's a matter of chance which dishonorable mission they give you. If you go to your map and thumbstick over the Strangers you've met, it should say what kind of missions they offer. So look for "assassinations."

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
No, it's more like people whose fun is trying to ruin other people's fun are horrible people. No one said people having fun are horrible people but nice try trying to twist that.

No twisting, like I said, the game is literally geared towards ruining other people's fun. It's rockstars intent, if it wasn't, they would have learned from GTA online's grief-fest and put more systems in place to prevent this, but instead they actively encourage it.

The people who are rubberbanding their controller and lessening the experience for others are worse than the people actually playing the game the way it was meant to be.

Last edited:

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
New to this site, but happy to be here. After years of PC elitism, I shelled out for the RDR2 PS4 Pro bundle and have been very happy with the purchase.

To the topic at hand, my character is at about level 21, and I have some tips to help y'all along. I shelled out for the seven-person persistent posse (Selena y Los Bandidos Guapos) so I'll drop my PSN handle at the end of this post if anyone wants to be friends. Unfortunately, won't be online for the next week or so thanks to crunch for law school finals.

A big complaint I've heard about Red Dead Online is, aside from a burdensome economy, the needless cruelty of other players. As noted by others in this thread, this behavior, often called "griefing," is absolutely encouraged by the designers of this game. Other players in your session are constantly visible in your mini-map by vaguely threatening pink blips, which turn red once hostilities have commenced. These are just other players, they may be friendly, but you have no way of knowing that. So when a pink blip comes towards your character, it is natural to turn and fire blindly. You don't see a name, you see a gaming handle in pink. And on PSN, that name is usually either vaguely or explicitly murderous and/or narcotics adjacent.

Subvert the design by maybe having your lantern out when you ride by, instead of your gun. I've seen people use the whistle function to indicate friendliness. You could aim in another direction, then press up on the d-pad. This aims your gun at the sky and you can fire a few times to let 'em know you mean business. It is actually way cool when it works, which is more often than not.

When you start a Stranger mission, people will come over and try to screw you over, because the game has let them know that you are trying to deliver a wagon, the mail, whatever, and your goal is now their goal. They get XP for it, it's on their map, and they probably have you muted or don't have a mic themselves. So don't get too sore when that happens, and consider avoiding Stranger missions all-together as a solo endeavor, as they don't do much for you in terms of XP or money.

I've actually made a few friends on Red Dead Online, a new experience coming from PC, and one of these friends has word "Killah" in his handle and named his horse "My Horse." A maniac, in other words. I walked him through some basics and it became clear that he was one of those nightmare players I'd read about on forums. The thing is, he kept telling me about how the game kept giving him awards and XP for "griefing" behavior: killing other players unprovoked, etc... So, again, the game wants to bring out the worst in players.

The lesson I have for solo online folks: keep an eye on the mini-map and try to avoid other players until you have leveled up some/ have a good load-out. For example, only drop off stuff at the butcher when the area around him has quieted down.

Play the online story, it puts you in matchmaking, and this is a good time to talk to the people they set you up with. Odds are you'll find folks on mic replaying story missions, and they might be happy to posse up with you and play more of the story, since everyone benefits. But FYI, there isn't much of a story to the story, and if you see that most of the four folks you are playing with are voting to skip the cutscene...also vote to skip the cutscene. You won't be missing much, I've seen the missions a few times now starting friends off in RDO. It's kind of a nothing story.

Or if you are all voting on an outcome in a particular decision, ask if they've already seen one of the outcomes, and want to see how it turns out if you chose a different way.

Another note on posses, if you are "Posse Leader," the waypoint you set is visible with a blue dot and a blue path to the rest of your posse. It is considerate to keep up with where everyone is going and keeping that waypoint updated. Also there are various awards associated with being Posse Leader or Posse Follower for x# of hours, so ask if anyone else wants a turn for leader on their end.

If you are a PS4 player, Sony has a 30 day exclusive for some free items. You will want to stop at the Stable, Fence, and a General Store/Tailor. There, you can get a red-coat Arabian, high-roller revolver, and the Grizzly Outfit for free.

Re: the Arabian, you will need to sell your old horse or buy a second stable slot for $100. Then you'll have to equip a saddle on it, and go ahead and pick up a brush from Horse Provisions. Only $3.50. Every single person I've shown this to has had trouble, it really is terrible design. But this horse really flies across the map and makes the game much more bearable.

Bonding works the same as single player. When mounted, tap or hold L3 to pet your horse or calm it down in between urging it along. You can actually see your horse's stamina core recover when you are riding it hard and do this. Brush it, and I believe as in single-player, leading your horse is one of the best ways to get the bond up quickly.

While you might want to buy horse insurance in the future for the Arabian, it is cost-prohibitive at 5 (!) Gold bars. However, the insurance is not strictly necessary. When your horse becomes critically injured and you can't revive it, go to: left on d-pad, stables, and heal your horse. A two minute timer will commence. An extremely shitty nag will replace it in the meantime. But you don't need to ride the nag all the way to the stable though, instead: flee the nag, then whistle, and your Arabian will come to you. Horse revives are pretty expensive (10 bucks), but I like having a bunch for my posse...and I can't resist reviving even hostile player horses.

You'll need to eat way more than in single-player, and that goes for your horse as well. Stock up on classic oatcakes from your catalog (you pick up catalog orders from the post office), as they can feed both you and your horse and are good for keeping those cores up.

If you anticipate a hostile player and have pelts on your horse, hitch your horse to a random tree and the pelts won't despawn. Also if you kinda stand your horse over a carcass it skips the skinning animation (by the way, if you down a three star, you can get money for the perfect skin AND a perfect carcass).

Also, buy the Varmint Rifle. It is necessary to get perfect exotic bird feathers/carcasses, and also apparently very overpowered in pvp if you have your "flick headshot" technique down.

Re: the Grizzly Outfit. You can buy it from your catalog (hold left on d-pad), but I would not advise it. It might save you some frustration in the future as there is a bug where the individual pieces of the Grizzly Outfit don't show up in your wardrobe. You would have to equip the outfit and then change the bits so just buy it from the store.

Fishing is probably the most-fun way to make money, along with hunting. It might be worth spending a gold bar on one of the lures, so you can get reliable catches of the more valuable fish. Either river or lake lure works exactly the same. Be careful though as you can still lose the line ..and the lure with it, if you reel a struggling and large fish.

Don't buy bait (worms and crickets) from the catalog as there is a bug currently where you can't use them from the bait wheel if you buy thenmax amount from the catalog.

Also reset those gold buckle awards, you keep the buckle and get a couple easy nuggets.

Remember to keep up with your active and passive cards as you level up. They cost 50 bucks or so.

Happy trails!

PSN: svvagerific

Thanks for this post, I'm hoping to hop online tonight for the first time and these are some useful tips.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen anyone mention this yet but yesterday, some random guy put an assassination bounty on my head out of nowhere. I was fishing and minding my own business when the message popped up. I went to check the map and I saw his red dot coming my way. There was a timer on screen ( i think it was 7 minutes) to try to survive. Anyway, I packed my shit and rode straight at him and was able to kill him first. The timer kept going and I saw him respawn a bit further so I rode the other way with about 5 minutes left. He was never able to catch me so I ended up ''winning'' that event and it gave me some cash and XP.

I think it's a stranger mission doing this.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
For the love of GOD, they need to fix the BS where you stop fishing if someone is shooting near by. I mean seriously WTF is that shit? I've lost so many good fish because some fuck started shooting by me, and then the game cancels the reel-in.

Dwight

Dec 4, 2018
Thanks for this post, I'm hoping to hop online tonight for the first time and these are some useful tips.

No problem! It's really a good amount of fun and I can't wait to hop on again.

I'm so full of tips...but if you don't want an ugly hillbilly character: pick a base face that looks close to what you want. Set all of the face features to neutral, complexions to none, then poke around a bit in the menus until you get to a character you can live with. There is some kind of bug where your character will look older than the one you create at this screen...so add a couple of years in your brain and go from there. I heard about this before I started so I went as young as possible (18) and my guy for sure looks like he is in his 30's.

Boosting your health cores is one the toughest experience areas, so since you're just starting out, put the initial two points they offer you into health.

don't buy snacks and canned food for eating yourself, as meat you have hunted and cooked is free and is more efficient at core recovery. You can also apply certain herbs to your meat in the cooking process by pressing left or right on your d-pad in the cooking menu, and these boost stamina, health, or dead-eye, depending on the herb. For no reason at all, cooked meat won't show up in your radial menu, so you'll have to hold right on d-pad to open up your satchel and eat your meat that way.

You can save some ammo and get a perfect pelt from a large variety of game by lassoing the animal, holding them, then it will dismount you from your horse, and you can press the "kill" button when prompted.

I should have noted that the fishing rod unlocks at a later level, it's either 10 or 14. Don't recall the price though.

If you don't want to spend a gold bar on one of the fancy lures, look up where the good fish spawn points are online. There, you'll be able to use the unlimited amount of free bread and cheese that seem to come with your rod to get the expensive fish, just at a less common rate. You can hold ten sock-eye salmon, and those sell for $42.50 all together!

When fishing and you have something on the line, use your left thumbstick to pull down your rod towards you. This brings them in faster.

Also, fishing is one if the best ways to get health experience. So even if you're getting small-fry, keep them, since you can sell them anyway and you get some points of health experience out of it.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're right btw, no idea why things from GTAO are absent in this?

*cough*BEEEEETA*cough*

;)

For the love of GOD, they need to fix the BS where you stop fishing if someone is shooting near by. I mean seriously WTF is that shit? I've lost so many good fish because some fuck started shooting by me, and then the game cancels the reel-in.

They should make you invisible/invincible when fishing.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
They should make you invisible/invincible when fishing.
They don't need to do that. They just need to stop having shots near by cancel the fishing. It makes no fucking sense - but then again, that seems the be the case with most of the online at this juncture.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
No twisting, like I said, the game is literally geared towards ruining other people's fun. It's rockstars intent, if it wasn't, they would have learned from GTA online's grief-fest and put more systems in place to prevent this, but instead they actively encourage it.

The people who are rubberbanding their controller and lessening the experience for others are worse than the people actually playing the game the way it was meant to be.

Because rockstar made a bad game design in order to push gold bar sales does not make it that the people playing into that aren't lessening the experience more for people than the people finding work arounds. It just means that rockstar is offensive with their game design relying on griefers. Good game design should not rely on people who like to ruin the fun for other people. That should be discouraged cause they should want everyone to enjoy their game.

But at least you acknowledge rockstar does this.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Its a random dishonorable mission that can be given by Foreman, Joe, the Boy, Langton and I think Flaco and Shaky.

It may well depend on a player being within the area you're in in order to appear every so often.

What sucks about it is that it lets the target known they're being hunted as soon as the other player accepts the mission. Then the other player has to sit through a bunch of dialogue while the target is already getting away.

S'pose it just gives the target a nice head start, but there needs to be an option to skip the stranger dialogue anyway.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the late reply.

Basically there's the passive ability slots (Hold LB and push Y to open up the ability loadout menu) and the first slot is for dead-eye. Now, it seems that my game had bugged up and I got to use any ability I wanted, because I changed it up a couple hours ago and now it's showing the final two as locked to Lv44 & Lv50.

The ability I was talking about is the Lv50 one. While dead-eye is active, players can't lock onto you when they pull the left trigger, they have to free aim at you. The first tier of it drains dead eye insanely quick, so I mostly used it for situations where I wanted to quickly pop out and I knew 2-3 other people would pop out instantly to try and get me.

I swapped out to try the one that lets you paint targets to shoot them automatically like in singleplayer, but now I regret swapping it out. :P
Damn, makes sense that it is Level 50.

TBH, I'd prefer that just be a generic function of Dead Eye, and Diving.

Both of those could be core mechanics to "unlock" another player's aim. If you knew how to use it you could level the "auto aim hellscape" playingfield we're all dealing with.

There is some kind of bug where your character will look older than the one you create at this screen...so add a couple of years in your brain and go from there. I heard about this before I started so I went as young as possible (18) and my guy for sure looks like he is in his 30's.
Very unlikely a bug, could be an intentional design choice. People back then, especially on a frontier, were infinitely less healthy than we are today and as a result aged much harder and more quickly.

Indeed, the whole character creator system seems to have been built to make pretty authentic looking frontier-era people. I sort of appreciate it.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Is anyone having the issue today where after accepting a job, it won't start/activate?

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Yes, and a very annoying one. Usually it will target someone extremely far away. And even if it targets someone near by, they usually just run away.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Alright well I can't get any missions to work anymore so... I guess more fishing?

edit: after some DC's and server hopping I got one mission to work, but now the other near by still isn't working. lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a "Beta" usually means all features in the game are in and pretty much complete, it's just a testing/refinement build. We pretty much know for a face that's not the case here.

The limits of the term have certainly been stretched in recent years. That said, it does vary from studio to studio.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone on PS4 need an extra body or would like to team up?

Also, although no one expressed any interest, I set up a simple Discord channel if folks wanted to use that as an avenue to find teammates...

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They don't need to do that. They just need to stop having shots near by cancel the fishing. It makes no fucking sense - but then again, that seems the be the case with most of the online at this juncture.

I guess it's to ensure people fishing are able to deal with incoming attacks rather than being caught out and killed mid-animation.

So long as they make it as un-exploitable as possible, I don't see why they don't do it.

I mean, this makes zero sense. It was in their previous game, zero reason why it shouldn't be in this, "Beta" or not.

I could be wrong, but I suspect they aren't rolling out all the features in one go to make testing, data gathering and all that malarkey that much easier.

I was also being cheeky, hence the ;)

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a second. Salmon is $2.50 now? Well..

I can get more XP and money hunting random animals anyways. What is the point of fishing now? Trash money. No XP. F this.

Dwight

Dec 4, 2018
Yes, but it isn't needed unless you play with more than 3 people usually.
To add onto this, if you go with the larger posse, you'll have an option to "disband." Don't ever select this option as reports indicate it is functionally a "delete," and you'll have wasted that 200 dollars.

Can give your posse a cool name, and have up to seven, but also keep in mind that your daily upkeep fee will also increase to two dollars. I got a trophy for buying the persistent camp, so FYI if going for the Platinum.

The larger camps are neat, and it's a nice change to stroll around vs the small ones. Bit devoid of features, but it's cool that bedrolls dynamically appear for each online and slotted member of your posse. Only your own bedroll will access wardrobe options.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
New to this site, but happy to be here. After years of PC elitism, I shelled out for the RDR2 PS4 Pro bundle and have been very happy with the purchase.

To the topic at hand, my character is at about level 21, and I have some tips to help y'all along.

I've actually made a few friends on Red Dead Online, a new experience coming from PC, and one of these friends has word "Killah" in his handle and named his horse "My Horse." A maniac, in other words.

If you anticipate a hostile player and have pelts on your horse, hitch your horse to a random tree and the pelts won't despawn. Also if you kinda stand your horse over a carcass it skips the skinning animation (by the way, if you down a three star, you can get money for the perfect skin AND a perfect carcass).
PSN: svvagerific
Great post, lots of helpful tips and even some stuff I wasn't yet aware of. I struggled not to laugh hard in the quiet office as I read the part I marked.

The hitching tip is great. I only just recently discovered both the joy and payoff of hunting. I had heard it payed decent money, I just didn't think it would be fun to do online but I was wrong. I think it might be even more fun online because well, first of all the game is fun as hell, but also because of the added tension of other players in the world. I've even hunted along side other people while not being in the same posse. I wanted to try fishing as I heard there is good money to be made there but I was surprised to see the fishing rod's level requirements. I think I'm 14 now.

So I should skin a perfect kill, and then pick up the skinned carcass or should I just sell the carcass without skinning?

aember

Oct 26, 2017
  • Increasing the cash and gold payments across a number of different activities including Free Roam Missions, Free Roam Events, replays of A Land of Opportunities Missions, Showdown Series modes and more.
  • Reducing the prices of most weapons in the Wheeler, Rawson & Co Catalogue and Gunsmiths. For players that have already purchased weapons at the previous prices, we will automatically deposit the difference to player balances starting today - please look for an alert message the next time you log in to the Red Dead Online Beta to notify you of this change, refunds may take up until December 10th to reach all players.
  • Balancing the values of select pelts, skins and fish as well as horse reviver and pamphlets.

Sounds good to be honest. Gonna be getting a free $200 from my Schofield purchases!

Free 15 gold bars too for playing before the end of today, nice.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So they buffed PvP modes and nerfed fishing and hunting? Haha.

That's really mind boggling in my opinion. That's against every natural game feeling the multiplayer had left. They sucked the very last part out of it now with that change and just don't seem to understand how to improve the online experience at all.
It really is like there is a totally different and worse team on the multiplayer than on the single player.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
"For players that have already purchased weapons at the previous prices, we will automatically deposit the difference to player balances starting today - please look for an alert message the next time you log in to the Red Dead Online Beta to notify you of this change, refunds may take up until December 10th to reach all players. "

Fair play

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Oh, they changed some balancing? Was there a patch?

And they really nerved fishing?

What.
The.
Fuck.

What were they thinking?

You guys are actually surprised? People were already predicting this. Fishing was profitable enough that it made it easier to avoid buying gold bars to skip the grind. The only thing I'm surprised at is I thought they were going to "fix" the economy friday so I expected it tommorrow, not today.

Oh well, I'll still fish when I want to relax. It's still pretty good considering you don't lose the fish if some one attacks you or you go in a mission or every other reason you lose a carcass.

Though, I have to say if they nerfed fishing and hunting enough that you really can't get by on it, they may have solved my problem and I'll already be done with this game. I'm not interested in the PvP modes and that stuff, I just want to free roam, do some gang hide outs, and hunt and fish. I guess they want to make sure only people who enjoy messing with each other can enjoy the game.

Pity, the game has so much potential to appeal to a wider audience, but I guess that wider audience isn't as likely to buy gold bars. (same thing with GTA honestly. But I've found ways around having to play with randoms. So far it seems they've managed to eliminate those in Red Dead).

aember

Oct 26, 2017
One guy finished replaying the final "good" mission. He got $21, 300XP for around 10 minutes of playtime, including cutscenes. Also digging this upgrade, up from $4 or whatever it was before.

tldr: they nerfed two types of fishes, buffed everything else.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Refunds for weapon purchases? Wow! I'm really surprised they did that, great move on their part.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
"As an added thank you for playing and helping us through the beta period, we're also awarding everyone that joined in to play the Red Dead Online Beta at any point through midnight PST today with a gift of RDO$250 and 15 Gold Bars. Gifts should start arriving today and will hit all eligible players by Friday, December 14th. "

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
That's really mind boggling in my opinion. That's against every natural game feeling the multiplayer had left. They sucked the very last part out of it now with that change and just don't seem to understand how to improve the online experience at all.
It really is like there is a totally different and worse team on the multiplayer than on the single player.

No... there is a different motivation between single player amd multiplayer. Single player has to make a good game that people want to play so they buy the game. Their profits is in making a game that is appealing enough to get people to spend money on it. I'll even go so far (and I know some people think I'm crazy cause much earlier in this thread I already got into an argument with them) that single player is there to get the foot int he door, to get people to buy the game so that they can get them to go try multiplayer eventually.

The multiplayer team's motivation is to try to wring more money out of people who bought the game. They don't need to convince you the game is good... just good enough to play for "free". What they need to do is convince you that you need to pay to really see the true fun out of the game. They have to purposely design it imbalanced and badly enough that you feel pressured to pay. But they have to balance that just enough with some fun so you can see the potential (it teases you that it could be a good game if just...).

Don't be fooled. Rockstar knows exactly what they are doing. They've done this before, they ahve experience. And they have a lot of people and I'd say probably very qualified people. None of this was "accidental". Hell, I saw some one propose and it sounds quite realistic that the economy was bjorked on purpose so they can look "reasonable" when they "fix" it.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
"As an added thank you for playing and helping us through the beta period, we're also awarding everyone that joined in to play the Red Dead Online Beta at any point through midnight PST today with a gift of RDO$250 and 15 Gold Bars. Gifts should start arriving today and will hit all eligible players by Friday, December 14th. "

That's nice of them.
But who knows what 15 Gold bars are really worth when you have metal weapon modifications that cost over 50 gold bars....

Interested in seeing the real money prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.