• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
So, I thought this was funny so wanted to share. Was doing the mission with the sheriff who needed a escaped criminal. We get him and he says he will pay us if we spare him. We decided to spare him and he takes us to his stash. Afterwards one of us shot him and we killed him. I decided to take his body and stash it on another's horse and go to the sheriff with it. When the cutscene happened, it was the criminal, not the body double with his hat we also had with us. Thought it was a pretty cool sequence as a group of randos playing lol.

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
The PC announcement needs to happen now the RP community will bring so much life into this game.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
What does everyones character look like? Here's mine oh also I dunno if the new people know this but you can change your animation style by going into the online menu and selecting one off the top of my head there's Flamboyant and Gunslinger I think I have Flamboyant on it makes you walk like Hosea.
4N47Gp3.jpg
Here's mine:
reddeadredemption2_2069knz.png

Last edited:

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I love seeing everyone characters you all some stylish people. The game is running great today played from the second I got home from work this morning until ten minutes ago and only crashed once. I did accidentally gank someone they tried stealing the bandit leader so I shotgunned them and then got them two more times when they came back but I didn't gain any hostility because they shot at me first poor dude was trying to take me out with a cattlemen.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Here is my online character. Based on the online character I played in the first RDR's multiplayer. First image is basically identical to the character. Second image is a new look I always wanted him to have that I was finally able to create with this update.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25mLV6D]
[/url]

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Here is my online character. Based on the online character I played in the first RDR's multiplayer. First image is basically identical to the character. Second image is a new look I always wanted him to have that I was finally able to create with this update.
Oh wow, that first image, before I even read your actual post I instantly thought "huh, reminds me of a character from the previous game." Nice work!

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
After getting back into the game with this update, these are some of the things I'd like to see them implement:
  • Ability to spawn in at your camp.
  • Ability to invite your posse members directly to your camp.
  • Ability to fast travel to your camp (via the current fast travel system).
  • Ability to fast travel from your camp, with your camp (i.e. when you relocate your camp, you relocate with it).
  • A more ordered way to increase your carcass carrying capacity (e.g. a more formalised second horse method, pack animals, carts, wagons, etc.).
That's apart from actual content of course. More story missions, heists, clothes, weapons, etc. are always welcome.

On the subject of heists, while I'd love to see some in the style of GTAO, I'm not sure how that would work for the high honour characters. GTAO obviously didn't have that problem since you were always supposed to be a criminal.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
So is the online good? I saw the update and maybe played like 15 minutes of it previously. Worth jumping back in?
It's free, so why not? Whereas before it was very unfriendly for noobs, now with defensive mode it's much more approachable. Just make sure you enable defensive mode every time you load the game up (left on the d-pad, last submenu in the list, and then change offensive to defensive), because the game always defaults to offensive unfortunately.

It's a weird beast. If you can play with friends it's great, but not as good solo. However the co-op story missions are great even with randoms (there's full matchmaking for those). If you want to jump straight into those you can select the quick join option in-game and then select story missions. Otherwise the daily objectives can point you at different things to try.

This stranger bug is killing me. It's such a bummer that nobody seems to really care.
I haven't had that one, although I don't do many stranger missions. My friends and I had horrific crashing issues immediately after the patch, but those seem to have settled down now.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has the IQ in single player been discussed? Has Arthur's tale got that much needed coat of HDR polish that was missing?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
defensive mode is an absolute game changer. online is a lot less stressful than it was before, and there's some fun to be had.

it's still the beginning, though, relatively speaking. it has the potential to be great in time.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm grinding gold for a Bison Duster Coat.
I'm just over halfway at 21 gold, send help please.

That's all I need in terms of customisation to 'finish' my characters 3 costume selection.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
RDO tunables have been updated for this week. They've apparently added new clothing (including a free hat), and new stranger missions. The stranger missions are characters from the SP:
  • Jake and Sadie Adler
  • Black Belle

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
The new clothes are cool they added a vest that looks just like Johns and that was really all I was looking forward to. Hopefully next time they add some of the coats from the beta I have at least one color from almost all the beta coats but some of those jackets are super cool it would be nice to see more people with them.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best way to start out? I've only just started, everyone is posting awesome looking characters and mine is still walking round in the starting clothes lol.

Should I just do the online missions and follow those? Or is there a better way to make some money to get started with customisation?

I got invited to some free roam events, the first was fishing which I was absolutely terrible at, and the second was some sort of contest which I couldn't get my head round before I was shot in the head, respawned, was shot in the head again and promptly rode off to do something else.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best way to start out? I've only just started, everyone is posting awesome looking characters and mine is still walking round in the starting clothes lol.

Should I just do the online missions and follow those? Or is there a better way to make some money to get started with customisation?

I got invited to some free roam events, the first was fishing which I was absolutely terrible at, and the second was some sort of contest which I couldn't get my head round before I was shot in the head, respawned, was shot in the head again and promptly rode off to do something else.

Do the story missions that should give you like 1k cash for every level you go up right now you'll get a gold bar which you can use for the cash shop or to buy weapons when you rank up. Don't buy weapons with gold though save it for the cash shop because some really cool stuff is rank locked and you can use gold to bypass the rank lock for clothing. Buying a shotgun for defense from other players isn't a bad idea either buy revolvers last they look awesome but aren't really useful I use them because they look awesome but people will clean house with a repeater or bolt action the Evans Repeater is great for missions and pvp.

If you wanna hunt you need a varmint rifle and a bolt action rifle the varmint is a good way to make money just shooting all the birds and small animals you see I almost always make more cash off small animals and birds than I do any pelts I sell because they made it harder to get perfect pelts for large game. Also if you shoot animals sell whatever meat you don't need a stack of venison is like 7 or 10 dollars it adds up.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Do the story missions that should give you like 1k cash for every level you go up right now you'll get a gold bar which you can use for the cash shop or to buy weapons when you rank up. Don't buy weapons with gold though save it for the cash shop because some really cool stuff is rank locked and you can use gold to bypass the rank lock for clothing. Buying a shotgun for defense from other players isn't a bad idea either buy revolvers last they look awesome but aren't really useful I use them because they look awesome but people will clean house with a repeater or bolt action the Evans Repeater is great for missions and pvp.

If you wanna hunt you need a varmint rifle and a bolt action rifle the varmint is a good way to make money just shooting all the birds and small animals you see I almost always make more cash off small animals and birds than I do any pelts I sell because they made it harder to get perfect pelts for large game. Also if you shoot animals sell whatever meat you don't need a stack of venison is like 7 or 10 dollars it adds up.
Awesome, thank you. Will start working my way through the missions until I have enough money to buy the hunting gear.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The game wont let me interact with strangers to accept missions. Is this a glitch or am I missing something?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Has the IQ in single player been discussed? Has Arthur's tale got that much needed coat of HDR polish that was missing?
Can I say it seems improved to me? Not a mind blowing improvement anyway. Grass especially is very muddy in motion. I suggest to set the brightness the lowest possible. It helps. In any case I don't get it why DOF is so aggressive on ps4. Game is already far from sharp and DOF contribute even more to screw the IQ sharpness. On the otherside, on the xbox platform is very subtle if not barely present. They could at least give the option to toggle off this graphic setting on the playstation.

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Play through the entire story for sure: you get a lot of money for that.
Prioritize unlocking functional things before cosmetics first. A varmint rifle and either a bolt action or rolling block rifle depending on if you want a sniper or not.
Check your daily challenges via left on the d-pad. Some are time consuming, but there's generally 1 or 2 per day which are very simple, and give you gold and experience.
Hunting pristine alligators and herons on the east coast of Saint Denis is a fantastic way to get money, if you sell to the butcher. Things like condors will give you a load of money, but these 2 are extremely common.
If a free roam event pops up, play through it unless you're busy doing something else. You get a decent amount of gold, even if you do rubbish.
A lot of players, myself included, only look really fancy because of all the giveaways throughout the beta. For a newcomer, it'll be harder to get fancy looking from the start.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poopy picture but very happy about how my character turned out. Just gotta get some good pants, i highly regret buying tuxedo pants.

D7FuFJZXkAAGbkZ.jpg:large

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Newswire post for this week's tunables:

INTRODUCING FREE ROAM MISSIONS FROM BLACK BELLE, SADIE & JAKE ADLER PLUS NEW SKIRT, BOOTS AND VEST, PS4 EARLY ACCESS CONTENT AND MORE

520e313a6b54c65a90803b6da6e01b1594d0f157.jpg

Last week, we added the first of many new Free Roam Missions, with new mission types and some new characters to meet along the way. This week, two fan favorites from the Red Dead Redemption 2 story join the cast of characters in the market for a helping hand in the world of Red Dead Online.

91c737dfeb0f20d7320b35f2cd6ef2136df16807.jpg

Ride out to the Adler Ranch in Ambarino or search out the infamous gunslinger Black Belle in Lemoyne for new Free Roam Missions to play in Red Dead Online for both PS4 and Xbox One.

d1055ecd0a27faa66db9d80078aee25a4849e908.jpg

This week's updates also include new Early Access content for players on PlayStation 4 including the devastating Ancient Tomahawk along with a new Make It Count: Ancient Tomahawk Showdown Mode. There's also Last Stand, a bloody free-for-all Showdown Mode with no way out, no second chances and one winner. PlayStation 4 players will also get early access to the new Perlino Andalusian Horse and new horse equipment, clothing and emotes. For more details, visit the PlayStation Blog.

cebf8ecf15bab9cb2572cb9304f7b457b6ceb45b.jpg

The Clothing section of the Wheeler, Rawson and Co. Catalogue has new options on offer, including the Wescott Skirt, Valdez Vest, Citadel Boots, and limited stock of the Plaid Cap.

In addition to 25% RDO$ and Gold increased payouts for all A Land of Opportunities Missions, Free Roam Missions, Showdown Modes, Races and Free Roam Events – playing in a Posse this week at any point will earn you 5 bonus Gold Bars. There are a number of benefits to playing in a Posse beyond this week's 5 bonus Gold Bars, including bonus RDO$ and XP when playing together, and the ability to bring an entire Posse into Free Roam Events, Competitive Challenges, or Showdown Series.

We continue to work behind the scenes to address overall game stability and performance with recent fixes including closing some duplication exploits, resolving issues related to reduced numbers of animals in sessions, updating Defensive mode to revert Playing Style to Offensive and apply a Hostility penalty when stealing cargo from another player's horse and more.

https://www.rockstargames.com/newsw...am-Missions-From-Black-Belle-Sadie-Jake-Adler

EDIT: And the associated PlayStation blog post:

Red Dead Online: New Early Access Content for PS4 Players Out Now
Including the brutal Ancient Tomahawk, new clothing and emotes, and two new Showdown Modes.

Last week's Red Dead Online update saw the game's biggest content drop yet including a huge range of new cooperative story missions, Free Roam activities, Poker and sweeping improvements including the introduction of Playing Styles, increased gold payouts and more. This week, PlayStation 4 players get early access to new Showdown Modes, clothing, emotes and a brutal new melee weapon, all free of charge and without rank restriction.

The Ancient Tomahawk

Visit your local Fence to acquire the throwable Ancient Tomahawk, free of charge and available to players of any rank.

The Perlino Andalusian Horse, Horse Equipment, Clothing and Emotes

Visit the Wheeler, Rawson and Co. Catalogue in the game or online to check out a range of new content available at no cost with no rank restrictions for PlayStation 4 players only.

The Perlino Andalusian Horse has higher stamina for longer rides and can be acquired for free along with a new saddle and saddlebags. Or visit a General Store or Tailor to try on the Finely Jacket, Stenger Studded Spurs and the Caldwell Hat to take them home free of charge. You can also get the Boast and Hey, You emotes from the Catalogue and equip them for use through the Emote Wheel.

Make it Count: Ancient Tomahawk

A true test of resourcefulness: use nothing but Ancient Tomahawks to be the last one standing in this free-for-all Showdown Mode. Take down your enemies silently by throwing the Ancient Tomahawk or getting up-close and personal. With a gradually shrinking play area, there's nowhere to run. Launch Make it Count in the Special Series from the Red Dead Online main menu, through the Quick Join option in the Player Menu or by visiting the Special Series icon on your map.

Last Stand

Last Stand is a new variation of free-for-all competition where players compete to survive in two-minute bouts, resulting in a bloody free-for-all with no way out, no second chances, and one winner. Be the last one alive to win a bout. You can jump into Last Stand via the Red Dead Online main menu, the Quick Join option from the Player Menu or by visiting the Special Series icon on your map.

In addition to this suite of Early Access Content for PS4 players, you can earn five Gold Bars for playing in a Posse any time before May 27. Enjoy this range of new content and keep an eye on Red Dead Online in the weeks to come for new content and events.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...early-access-content-for-ps4-players-out-now/

Last edited:

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
oh we can apparently change our faces now? one of the daily challenges i have is "0/1 Facial appearance updated"

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
So sick and tired of these fucking crashes on ps4 pro since the new update

Happens at least every 20 minutes; not touching this until they fix this...out of beta my ass

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Go to three different Stranger locations, can't start any of them. Couldn't even get inside the house Black Belle was at, both doors locked. It eventually let me in but I couldn't accept her mission. Same with the pig farmers, empty house until I ran around outside and somehow triggered them to show up. Story missions still don't pop up for me all the time either.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
A summary of the free PS4 stuff:
  • Caldwell Hat
  • Finley Jacket
  • Stenger Studded Spurs
  • Boast Emote
  • Hey You Emote
  • Horse: Perlino Andalusian
  • Belanger Saddle
  • Saddle Bags: Standard & Upgraded (10 styles of each)
  • Ancient Tomahawk (available from Fence)

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A summary of the free PS4 stuff:
  • Caldwell Hat
  • Finley Jacket
  • Stenger Studded Spurs
  • Boast Emote
  • Hey You Emote
  • Horse: Perlino Andalusian
  • Belanger Saddle
  • Saddle Bags: Standard & Upgraded (10 styles of each)
  • Ancient Tomahawk (available from Fence)

God this shit is so anti consumer. When does this stuff usually make it's way over to Xbox?

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
God this shit is so anti consumer. When does this stuff usually make it's way over to Xbox?

At least they are not doing what Remedy is doing, timed exclusivity for SP DLCs and selling Deluxe version of the game for the same price everywhere but less content for Xbox.

I managed to play few stranger missions last night and yeah when it works I love RDR Online, but issue is that more often than not RDR Online doesn't work.

samb_rules

Jan 16, 2018
Anyone had any luck doing a Biggest Fish Challenge? I lead a persistent posse (albeit there's only two of us!) but the option to start the challenge is greyed out. Only challenge that isn't is the Hunt the Leader.. is it location dependent?

EDIT, SOLVED: According the the RDO subreddit this just happens sometimes, changing sessions fixes it! As long as you and your posse members have their fishing rods out you should be able to start the challenge.

Last edited:

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Had a fun glitch at the butcher last night. Went to sell a perfect alligator skin (the big kind), and the store kept glitching the sell but giving me cash. Sold the same skin maybe 30 times. Easy way to make about $100.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I figured out that the crashes on PS4 are caused by the servers desyncing I fast traveled to Annesburg and used a treasure map and got dced when I logged back in I was at Mazaneta post again and still had my treasure map and it was unused.

Oct 27, 2017
Where did people end up with the HDR settings? I messed with it for a couple and ended up with 2500 peak and 300 paper in my OLED. Doesn't seem right, but that's where I got with the visual guide and it looks OK.