• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Whoever made that interactive Collector map I linked to above is a wonderful human being. It makes the Collector role a piece of cake.

I just finished the 5 star version of the Wolfman legendary bounty. One thing I discovered that was a nice surprise:
Shotgun incendiary rounds will one-shot both bears.
Saves a bit of screwing around.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's interesting apparently the limited stock items pages are still up just hidden and you can still buy them if you have a link from when they were in the catalog.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I wish they'd let you layer facial hair on top of stubble. My dude has a bad case of jowl with anything else, but I feel so vanilla with just plain stubble.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The Leather Gauntlets are my favorite new clothing item, especially out of the Outlaw Pass. I don't really use hats or a ton of layers so they provide a nice unique touch to outfits.

ps_messages_20190927_wnjjl.jpg

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
So, what's the best way to gain XP currently?

I'm like Level 24 or something and just want to play for a bit, so that I can reach Level 50 at some point.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018

I'm like Level 24 or something and just want to play for a bit, so that I can reach Level 50 at some point.

Invest in all the roles as soon as you can. Collector first, I'd probably say. You'll be spending money to make money at first, but soon you'll just be raking in cash and XP.

Also invest in the Outlaw Pass if you can. It gives you an XP bonus.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017

Collector. Buy the shovel as soon as you can ($350), get some maps from Madam Nazar and collect the stuff until you hit Collector Level 5. Then invest in the metal detector ($700). Have the metal detector always out when riding your horse and it is like the XP never stops rolling, went from around 53 to over 70 in what felt like no time. It is pricey to get all that stuff but it more than pays out in XP eventually. There are also lots of resources now (Reddit, Youtube) that have figured out the spawn cycles for the collector items, use some of them to complete collections as selling a whole set to Madam brings in 1500XP.

Last edited:

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Invest in all the roles as soon as you can. Collector first, I'd probably say. You'll be spending money to make money at first, but soon you'll just be raking in cash and XP.

Also invest in the Outlaw Pass if you can. It gives you an XP bonus.
Collector. Buy the shovel as soon as you can ($350), get some maps from Madam Nazar and collect the stuff until you hit Collector Level 5. Then invest in the metal detector ($700). At this point, it was like the XP never stopped rolling for me, went from around 53 to over 70 in what felt like no time. It is pricey to get all that stuff but it more than pays out in XP eventually. There are also lots of resources now (Reddit, Youtube) that have figured out the spawn cycles for the collector items, use some of them to complete collections as selling a whole set to Madam brings in 1500XP.

Thanks. I'll take a look later today.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I'll take a look later today.
I edited my post right as you quoted it, make sure once you get the metal detector to always have it out while riding around. Will pick up stuff constantly.

Also a way to get XP without investing in a role is to do as many Daily Challenges as you can, 200XP per challenge. There are always a couple easy ones per day.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
There have been a lot of foggy nights in game lately and I have just been waiting for zombies to suddenly lurch out and cause my horse to freak out and buck me off.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I edited my post right as you quoted it, make sure once you get the metal detector to always have it out while riding around. Will pick up stuff constantly.

Also a way to get XP without investing in a role is to do as many Daily Challenges as you can, 200XP per challenge. There are always a couple easy ones per day.

Read the edit, did some further research and bought the Collector license. Didn't have a chance to do anything besides that, though, because I was pretty tired. Also, I checked out the Daily Challenges and they are still as annoying as they were when I last played the game. I don't think I'll ever actively go for them, but thanks for the tip either way.

Collector seems like the ideal activity for me, because it's something that I can do while also doing other stuff, like watching streams for example. I see myself doing this for a couple hours every other day. Thanks again for the help.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
These disconnect errors are annoying. My mate got disconnected right as I was handing in the wolfman bounty and didn't get paid.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
They'll do Halloween themed stuff in RDO I'm sure

The insane fog combined with a thunderstorm made me think that something might be up, while playing yesterday.

I also had a funny and unrelated scare moment somewhere in New Austin., while collecting Tarot Cards. There is a place with a couple dead people on a pile, on a cart and in coffins. When I approached the cart, the bodies bounced once and it made me jump in my chair. lol

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Not expecting much, but I put together a Devil May Cry inspired outfit and made my horse a White Walker just in case shit does hit the fan in October

ps_messages_20190929_sqkn7.jpg

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
It's great the game is popular now whats not great is there's people everywhere and they end up killing all your stranger mission npcs before you even get there.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
That keeps happening to me on Cripps supply missions, I turn up to a sea of bodies and the supplies just sitting there waiting to be picked up lol.

I was 200 xp from leveling up would have gotten it from killing those npcs I just logged off stupid weekend low levels stealing my shit. That explains why I rode by a train station on a delivery and everyone was dead I thought they were from someone elses mission not my own.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I was 200 xp from leveling up would have gotten it from killing those npcs I just logged off stupid weekend low levels stealing my shit. That explains why I rode by a train station on a delivery and everyone was dead I thought they were from someone elses mission not my own.
I quite like it TBH, it's like I'm too important to get my hands dirty, so I have low levels who handle that sort thing for me now :D

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I leveled up trader to 7 I think. I unlocked something that says I'll be invited to periodic trade events? Any idea what those are?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
So I leveled up trader to 7 I think. I unlocked something that says I'll be invited to periodic trade events? Any idea what those are?
That's Trade Route, and it's fantastic. If you see an invite to it, accept it :)

It's a co-op event where you (and other players) defend a train from waves of bandits who are trying to attack it. You get rewarded with finished goods for Cripps to sell too.

You can find the schedule for these role and free roam events here:

Red Dead Redemption 2 Online Event Schedule

Timetable of RDR2 Online free-roam/role events, customised to your local time zone

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
decided to start up the game again after not playing it since towards the end of last year. Absolutely no idea where to start xD

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Sorta looking to get back into this after all the changes, but uh. Is it possible to set up a private session yet? It's just not worth it being insta-ganked by some guy with a bunch of weapons I haven't unlocked yet every time I ride into a town.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
Sorta looking to get back into this after all the changes, but uh. Is it possible to set up a private session yet? It's just not worth it being insta-ganked by some guy with a bunch of weapons I haven't unlocked yet every time I ride into a town.

I've been playing the past few weekends and haven't encountered many griefers. But the few times have, the parley system pressing charges have ended it rather quickly. Also there's a defensive mode which protects you a bit (although I believe not entirely, haven't tried it myself).

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017

People don't really bother you watch out for level 200s and level 10-30 though they are the ones that start all the shit that does happen.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

I'm a new player just play casually once In a while and I'm not a high level or anything, the community is very friendly way feiendliw

Edit

For fucks sake the mobile ad shit on this website shifting your browser and cloaing the ketboard causing you to tap an ad fucking sucks.

Back to what I was saying

Almost everybody ignores you and doesn't start shit
The 'defensive' play style setting actually works and is still fun
The one time people actually paid attention to me they were super nice and took me under their wing and I played a night of high level bounty hunting with them.

Don't know what it is but this game is the anti-gta online imo

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

Unlike GTAV's passive mode, Defensive Mode in RDO really doesn't gimp or limit your character, it just makes you tougher to kill when attacked first. I started using it as insurance, because why not, but even before that I was hardly ever attacked or griefed unprovoked. And in the very rare event you do run in to persistently annoying players, you can instantly switch servers and pick up right where you left off.

It's a very chill atmosphere right now. Most mind their business or will engage you in a way that's fun spirited.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Don't know what it is but this game is the anti-gta online imo

I think it's a mix of the main game having far less of a chaotic spirit than GTAV (where you can drive tanks and carry a militia's arsenal in your back pocket) and the various defensive/retaliatory additions disincentivizing griefing so much that it's nearly killed the practice without actually removing the option. Turns out that penalties actually make a difference.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I invested a lot of money into buying the hat tipping emote so that I could be proper fucking gentleman, if that tells you anything.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I never get griefed anymore and at least once a day a player will run up to me and wave/do a pleasant emote at me

it's kinda adorable

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
decided to start up the game again after not playing it since towards the end of last year. Absolutely no idea where to start xD
Start wherever you like! I'd still recommend playing through the co-op story missions first: they're the ones that appear as yellow circles with two letters inside them (e.g. "Hy" or "Md", etc.). They're fun missions, and when you finish both halves of them the first time as host you get a nice payout.

After that, I'd recommend looking at the daily objectives to get a feel for some of the stuff that's out there, and what you enjoy in the game. Then, once you've built up some gold, think about getting into Trading/Collecting/Bounty Hunting, and also getting the Outlaw Pass.

Trader pass is free if you're on PS4. Bounty Hunter pass is free if you're an Amazon Prime or Twitch Prime subscriber. Collector pass is free if you collected the playing cards in GTAO.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Thanks for the responses. So either I've been very unlucky when I played in the past, or the community has changed for the better since then.

Trader pass is free if you're on PS4. Bounty Hunter pass is free if you're an Amazon Prime or Twitch Prime subscriber. Collector pass is free if you collected the playing cards in GTAO.

So if I play on a PS4 and also subscribe to Amazon Prime ... I get two out of three thingies for free? Nice.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Thanks for the responses. So either I've been very unlucky when I played in the past, or the community has changed for the better since then.
They brought in defensive mode, which changed the dynamic considerably. Suddenly griefers were (for the most aprt) at a huge disadvantage if they tried to grief people who'd specifically opted out of the PvP stuff. It made the defensive mode players very difficult to find too (since they barely show up on the mini-map until you're on top of them), which made griefing more difficult. Those combined to reduce griefing, and in turn that reduced everyone's paranoia; instead of shooting first and asking questions later, people started to just wave at each other, and it kind of snowballed in a good way. It's not griefer free, but it's pretty damn rare in my experience.

So if I play on a PS4 and also subscribe to Amazon Prime ... I get two out of three thingies for free? Nice.
Yep. I don't know if there were time limits on that stuff (hopefully not), but I'd get on it ASAP. For the Twitch Prime stuff (Twitch Prime is included with Amazon Prime) you need to link your Twitch Prime account with your Rockstar Social Club account, and then you need to 'claim' the reward at Twitch Prime before it'll show up in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.