• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I imagine they'll allow character transfers to next gen console versions because the ecosystem there will be the same. They're not going to let you pay Sony a bunch of money for gold bars and then move all that shit over to their own contained ecosystem.

Dolla dolla bills.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Was the legendary bounty from last week any good? I apparently missed it. Sucks because that was probably the one bounty I'd probably take in dead.

I hope the bounties go on some sort of rotation once they're all done.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I thought some of you were exaggerating about how much you could make a day finding collectible items. I pulled up the interactive map on my tablet Sunday and in the space of maybe two hours I had 11/14 sets ready to sell. Made near $4k like it was nothing.

Was the legendary bounty from last week any good? I apparently missed it. Sucks because that was probably the one bounty I'd probably take in dead.

I hope the bounties go on some sort of rotation once they're all done.

That's the corrupt mayor one, right? It was a pretty fun mission actually. Even the simple difficulty had some challenge to it.

Gist of the mission: Objectives are to bring in the mayor as well as some bonds/documents he stole. At mission start you arrive in Thieves Landing, see a tracking clue, and the mayor almost immediately comes out of hiding to beg for help. Mayor got in deep with a gang that was using him and he knows they'll kill him soon. He hid the papers and you have to follow him to the location in Tall Trees. He'll turn himself in willingly after that. As soon as he starts digging you're surrounded by enemies. After the papers are discovered you and the mayor start riding to the nearest jail. You'll be ambushed again and the mayor may try to flee. Just use the lasso and bring him in if that's the case. I made about $90 bringing him in alive.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I thought some of you were exaggerating about how much you could make a day finding collectible items. I pulled up the interactive map on my tablet Sunday and in the space of maybe two hours I had 11/14 sets ready to sell. Made near $4k like it was nothing.

I haven't really planned out any of my collections, mostly just doing it ad hoc and getting a ton of duplicates, so I'm going to put in some time this Saturday night and try to get a lot.

Is there a way outside of the game to check your collectibles with the social club? E.g., see which cards, arrows, etc you need?

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really planned out any of my collections, mostly just doing it ad hoc and getting a ton of duplicates, so I'm going to put in some time this Saturday night and try to get a lot.

Is there a way outside of the game to check your collectibles with the social club? E.g., see which cards, arrows, etc you need?

I'm looking at the social club now and it doesn't appear so sadly. Single player can keep track of cigarette cards but that seems to be it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is it true that PC has lobbies that separate people auto aim folk from free aim folk? If so, uh, what the fuck have you been doing the last year for console then. Kind of just fucking up those who bought your game at launch left and right between not being able to transfer our character and now this shit. If true, that is.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Is it true that PC has lobbies that separate people auto aim folk from free aim folk? If so, uh, what the fuck have you been doing the last year for console then. Kind of just fucking up those who bought your game at launch left and right between not being able to transfer our character and now this shit. If true, that is.
Yeah it does

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone play a free roam mission and get back to me about whether the timer on top of the screen is now noticably left of center, please? It's kinda driving me nuts.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Should I be looking to buy only one of the job/role licenses, or aim to get all 3? (Or none at all?) I have 50 gold bars at the moment (don't know if that's standard or whether I got them for pre-ordering on PC), but all 3 licenses would use 45 of them already.

Are gold bars better spent on other things instead?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Should I be looking to buy only one of the job/role licenses, or aim to get all 3? (Or none at all?) I have 50 gold bars at the moment (don't know if that's standard or whether I got them for pre-ordering on PC), but all 3 licenses would use 45 of them already.

I ended up getting one of them for free through linking my Twitch Prime acct w/ my Social Club. Google that to see if it's still available. I think it was the bounty hunter one.

You can get another one for free by grinding a couple hours in GTA Online if you have that, there's some collectivles if you get them all it unlocks 'collector' I think in RD Online.

Otherwise though if you have the gold bars, I'd say spend em on content if you got em. It depends on your play style for which one you'd like to do most. I play pretty relaxed, PVE, riding around usually doing misc stuff not really engaging in a ton of combat, so I think I like the Collector role the most, it's the one I like doing the most in the single player game (collecting herbs, etc).

You can make a ton of in-game money on collector, I think it's the one that pays out the most.

You can make a ton of XP on trader.

And you can make a mix of gold/cash with Bounty Hunter (IIRC, I Don't really do bounty hunter that much).

I think the best balance if you're tight on coins is to unlock Bounty Hunter because they constantly add new unique bounties each week which are a lot of fun to play, even solo, and you can do them multiple times for different rewards/challenges. And then maybe pick either Trader or Collector. Honestly, I don't even play that much but I've got more money than I usually have to spend on things. I've used a little bit of gold to buy a better horse. But, otherwise, my original horse was fine for me too.

I posted earlier "I Wish that fast travel didn't cost money" or something, and a guy said to me... "Y'know, there's no point hoarding money in the game." And he's right. I think most of the roles pay out pretty good and it seems like I always have about $500 or something in cash in the game and not a ton to spend it on. I did end up buying the Outlaw Pass which gives you a lot of free ammo and other things like that regularly.

For Daily Challenge stuff, that's not even something that I focus on much, but I've been able to login each day to do at least one daily challenge each day and I'm up to about 21 days. I never thought I'd do that, I thought the time committment would be too much, but it's really easy and some of them only take like... 30 seconds ("Visit a shop in blackwater", I'll start in Great Plains, ride to black water, go to shop, and boom, done.) So now I get 0.5 gold per challenge, and I still only do one or two a day, but when I have time to do more you can easily earn like 5 gold a day, so you make back whatever you spent on it pretty quickly... Plus the XP, cash, etc that you get for it too.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Get all 3. The roles ARE the Red Dead Online gameplay loop at this point. You aren't going to find anything better to spend all that gold on.

Plus if you get a daily challenge multiplier going you'll make all that gold back in no time anyways. With more roles, you're given more daily challenges to complete, and they're usually very easy and quick.

Start with collector since you can make the most money/xp from that role.

Outlaw Pass is worth it too.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

All roles are highly rewarding and worth engaging in. Bounty hunting offers a constant flow of content for those looking for a fight, collecting is perhaps the greatest way to make money in quick succession, trading takes a longer amount of time to reap its rewards, but you mostly let it happen in the background while you do other stuff and then you reap the huge reward when it's ready.

Gold is mostly useful for buying stuff that would drain your money and not leaving you a whole lot of money left over, like buying a horse for example (and there are some horses that are exclusively bought with gold). Unless you're desperate for a really good horse, it is best to just jump into all three roles as soon as possible. You can easily progress all three at once. In the long-term, you will be making a fortune by doing so.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up getting one of them for free through linking my Twitch Prime acct w/ my Social Club. Google that to see if it's still available. I think it was the bounty hunter one.

You can get another one for free by grinding a couple hours in GTA Online if you have that, there's some collectivles if you get them all it unlocks 'collector' I think in RD Online.

Otherwise though if you have the gold bars, I'd say spend em on content if you got em. It depends on your play style for which one you'd like to do most. I play pretty relaxed, PVE, riding around usually doing misc stuff not really engaging in a ton of combat, so I think I like the Collector role the most, it's the one I like doing the most in the single player game (collecting herbs, etc).

You can make a ton of in-game money on collector, I think it's the one that pays out the most.

You can make a ton of XP on trader.

And you can make a mix of gold/cash with Bounty Hunter (IIRC, I Don't really do bounty hunter that much).

I think the best balance if you're tight on coins is to unlock Bounty Hunter because they constantly add new unique bounties each week which are a lot of fun to play, even solo, and you can do them multiple times for different rewards/challenges. And then maybe pick either Trader or Collector. Honestly, I don't even play that much but I've got more money than I usually have to spend on things. I've used a little bit of gold to buy a better horse. But, otherwise, my original horse was fine for me too.

I posted earlier "I Wish that fast travel didn't cost money" or something, and a guy said to me... "Y'know, there's no point hoarding money in the game." And he's right. I think most of the roles pay out pretty good and it seems like I always have about $500 or something in cash in the game and not a ton to spend it on. I did end up buying the Outlaw Pass which gives you a lot of free ammo and other things like that regularly.

For Daily Challenge stuff, that's not even something that I focus on much, but I've been able to login each day to do at least one daily challenge each day and I'm up to about 21 days. I never thought I'd do that, I thought the time committment would be too much, but it's really easy and some of them only take like... 30 seconds ("Visit a shop in blackwater", I'll start in Great Plains, ride to black water, go to shop, and boom, done.) So now I get 0.5 gold per challenge, and I still only do one or two a day, but when I have time to do more you can easily earn like 5 gold a day, so you make back whatever you spent on it pretty quickly... Plus the XP, cash, etc that you get for it too.
Get all 3. The roles ARE the Red Dead Online gameplay loop at this point. You aren't going to fine anything better to spend all that gold on.

Plus if you get a daily challenge multiplier going you'll make all that gold back in no time anyways. With more roles, you're given more daily challenges to complete, and they're usually very easy and quick.

Start with collector since you can make the most money/xp from that role.

Outlaw Pass is worth it too.
All roles are highly rewarding and worth engaging in. Bounty hunting offers a constant flow of content for those looking for a fight, collecting is perhaps the greatest way to make money in quick succession, trading takes a longer amount of time to reap its rewards, but you mostly let it happen in the background while you do other stuff and then you reap the huge reward when it's ready.

Gold is mostly useful for buying stuff that would drain your money and not leaving you a whole lot of money left over, like buying a horse for example (and there are some horses that are exclusively bought with gold). Unless you're desperate for a really good horse, it is best to just jump into all three roles as soon as possible. You can easily progress all three at once. In the long-term, you will be making a fortune by doing so.
Thanks everyone.

I'll look to get all 3 licenses eventually then, and I'll look into the Outlaw Pass too.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
The Outlaw Pass only runs to the 18th right? Might be too late to buy it now and be worth it unless you are gonna grind (1000xp per level for 70 levels).

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love how nice everyone is on this.

Was coming into Tumbleweed and saw another player so whistled to say hi. My horse then ran me into a wall like a fucking idiot, anyways, as I'm getting up the player picks my animals up and puts them back on my horse for me.

What a game <3

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love how nice everyone is on this.

Was coming into Tumbleweed and saw another player so whistled to say hi. My horse then ran me into a wall like a fucking idiot, anyways, as I'm getting up the player picks my animals up and puts them back on my horse for me.

What a game <3

I try to be a do-gooder.

I'm riding towards Armadillo and I see this nefarious red dot gallopping off to a near by hill, and hear a train puffing in the distance somewhere. I turn back to notice a person is tied up and their horse is down on the tracks, so I did an about face:

I was worried the evil doer was going to come after me.

The person I helped, though, kept following me around wanting to posse up and chat... and I kinda didn't want to... so I hid in an outdoor toilet in Arnadillo till they rode off:

HQmUcvs.jpg

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I was secretly hoping that when I Was untying the person and healing their horse that the 3:10 to Yuma would come by and completely fuck our shit up. It was enough in the distance though where it didn't get close.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heard great things about the new online additions in this so I redownloaded the game.

I'd love to do a free aim only lobby. Do they have enough of a population? I remember that was a big issue in GTA.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cripps is bugged again and won't set up a camp for me. God damn it.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Well after meeting that nice player yesterday, I came across two annoying fucks today.

About to deliver my bounty alive, they kill me and then the bounty. Soon regretting it as I delivered him dead, got paid then kept killing them with my shotgun until they left.

Freaks.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Rockstar has another Outlaw pass coming next week I doubt they do but I hope I haven't played in almost 7 weeks pretty bored of the game and I need something to work towards.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
They will have. Season passes are the new lootbox.
They'll definitely have another one. It might not be ready to go straight away, but hopefully if there's a delay it'll only be for a couple of weeks.

The current legendary bounty is pretty fun BTW, although I reckon it would be quite tough on five stars.

Lost my first every delivery shipment to griefers last night - I've probably earned around $20k from my own deliveries, so I guess I can't complain. Technically we delivered 3 of the 4 bags after being set upon by two different posses simultaneously, but the payout was bugged and we each got only 1% of the normal delivery price.

My helpers were all lower level friends that I was just trying to help get some cash, so they weren't really prepared for high level griefers (some of them were close to level 300). I spent about 20 minutes after the sale just repeatedly killing the griefers, and to their credit they didn't leave despite that. I do wonder if they thought that being repeatedly killed for 20 minutes was a good payoff for the equivalent of two white tail bucks in materials, especially when you factor in their costs in terms of explosives. It feels like the only winner was Rockstar.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
total n00b here. what should i do first to get better weapons, more xp etc?

i've basically just watched my gf roam around picking plants lol. and i tried poker, couldnt win a single hand in 45mins, pissed me off. are people cheating? i swear they are. i got killed immediately after stepping out of the saloon too, someone repeatedly pushed me to the ground and i couldnt do a thing... how do they do that? damn infuriating.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)

i've basically just watched my gf roam around picking plants lol. and i tried poker, couldnt win a single hand in 45mins, pissed me off. are people cheating? i swear they are. i got killed immediately after stepping out of the saloon too, someone repeatedly pushed me to the ground and i couldnt do a thing... how do they do that? damn infuriating.
Use defensive mode. On console that's right on the d-pad, Online Options (bottom of the list), change to Defensive Mode (third last option I think). It doesn't make you invincible but it makes you a far less attractive target to griefers.

For weapons, the bolt action rifle should be your first priority. After that consider the varmint rifle (for hunting), and pump action shotgun and carcano rifle for combat. Pistols/revolvers are more of a luxury than a necessity, so I wouldn't worry about them until later.

To rank up and get money, the Collector role is the best. It'll cost you 15 gold bars though to get in. If you need gold, then daily challenges (right on the d-pad, Daily Challenges) are your best bet. You need to do at least one each day to get a streak going, and they pay more gold as the streak increases (up to a maximum of 21 days).

If you need a quick cash injection, helping someone sell a 100 goods wagon as a distant delivery will get you $312.50 for about 15 minutes of effort.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
If I purchase the outlaw pass will I unlock all of the items retroactively for whatever level I'm at?

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
Use defensive mode. On console that's right on the d-pad, Online Options (bottom of the list), change to Defensive Mode (third last option I think). It doesn't make you invincible but it makes you a far less attractive target to griefers.

For weapons, the bolt action rifle should be your first priority. After that consider the varmint rifle (for hunting), and pump action shotgun and carcano rifle for combat. Pistols/revolvers are more of a luxury than a necessity, so I wouldn't worry about them until later.

To rank up and get money, the Collector role is the best. It'll cost you 15 gold bars though to get in. If you need gold, then daily challenges (right on the d-pad, Daily Challenges) are your best bet. You need to do at least one each day to get a streak going, and they pay more gold as the streak increases (up to a maximum of 21 days).

If you need a quick cash injection, helping someone sell a 100 goods wagon as a distant delivery will get you $312.50 for about 15 minutes of effort.

thanks a lot!

how can i find someone who needs help with a wagon delivery? barely any players anywhere.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Nah nobody's cheating in poker, it's a pretty good poker game albeit just slow. It only allows public matchmaking and while i bet friends could try and keep reconnecting to get into ea h others games I've never seen it. It's rare for people to connect and immediately disconnect.

With poker if you follow general strategies and play conservative you'll usually make money over time. There's enough people who just max bet every time that you can easily wait a few hands till you get something strong and then take them to the cleaners when they max bet almost every time. Take it slow don't bet if you have good cards right away, lull someone in and then take them after theyve put money into the hand.

Couple nights ago I was up $65 and got cleaned out like a half hour later. A string of terrible luck. But it's only $25 which you can literally make back in minutes

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Some good bonuses this week if you're new to the Trader role: 50% bonus payouts on small and medium wagon sales, and 25% discounts off the purchase price of delivery wagons themselves.

There's also 40% off everything at Wilderness Outfitters (i.e. camp stuff).

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Did some of the menus get screwed up? Used to be when going to butcher/Cripps/Madam Nazar, the menu with things you could donate/sell would automatically pop up but now I have to tab over to them.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Ok, so what is the deal with the camp?

Half the time pitching it doesn't work, and when I do manage to get it set up it vanishes again ("Cripps has packed up your camp") at the drop of a hat. Given that there's no other place to go for the trader role stuff, this is really annoying. Changing sessions sometimes fixes it, but changing sessions also means I lose all the animal carcasses on my horse, which kind of defeats the purpose of doing it in the first place.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so what is the deal with the camp?

Half the time pitching it doesn't work, and when I do manage to get it set up it vanishes again ("Cripps has packed up your camp") at the drop of a hat. Given that there's no other place to go for the trader role stuff, this is really annoying. Changing sessions sometimes fixes it, but changing sessions also means I lose all the animal carcasses on my horse, which kind of defeats the purpose of doing it in the first place.

it has unfortunately been an issue for a long time. Maybe they'll fix it someday... maybe... in the mean time, just gotta get lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.