• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
If I pay the higher amount of gold to unlock something early with L2, can I equip that no matter my level?

I'm guessing yes, and it's an obvious question, but I never know with this game lol. I figure I may as well pay extra to look good for the grind, and either wait 'til I get more gold, or god forbid buy some if I'm in desperate need for some in the future.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
If I pay the higher amount of gold to unlock something early with L2, can I equip that no matter my level?

I'm guessing yes, and it's an obvious question, but I never know with this game lol. I figure I may as well pay extra to look good for the grind, and either wait 'til I get more gold, or god forbid buy some if I'm in desperate need for some in the future.

if you can purchase it, you can equip it, yes.

but unfortunately tons of stuff is still locked behind a certain rank, no matter how much gold you have. I'm legit surprised they don't let you spend an arm and a leg to get the black arabian early.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
if you can purchase it, you can equip it, yes.

but unfortunately tons of stuff is still locked behind a certain rank, no matter how much gold you have. I'm legit surprised they don't let you spend an arm and a leg to get the black arabian early.

Right, that's good to hear.
I figure I may as well use this beta gold to look fashionable on the grind, rather than grinding to look fashionable, and getting burnt out when I hit the rank to afford what I want.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Right, that's good to hear.
I figure I may as well use this beta gold to look fashionable on the grind, rather than grinding to look fashionable, and getting burnt out when I hit the rank to afford what I want.

I can imagine alot of rank 90 people are sick of saint denis after all the npc shooting they've been doing. There's not alot worth buying with the cash shop currency I regret buying gold instead of spending the 50 dollars on a game or something I bought the Bison coat and a duster and still have like 80 or 90 gold bars left and there's just nothing worth buying I guess I could turn my guns gold but I'd rather save the gold for when the poncho is out.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
wSixX6E.jpg

I still need the tuxedo shoes, a nicer vest and the top hat (maybe a bowler hat), but I'm happy with how he looks now.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I went to a butcher to sell my poor-ass deer carcass, soon after a dude arrived with his own deer on a horse. he went to the shopping menu, meanwhile, I stole the deer from his horse, put it on mine and sold it for 7$

laughed my ass off, poor guy was really confused what happened
ha hahahaha, can't make it up.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, this is still in beta right?

I know it's only been out a month but how have people gauged this online's popularity compared to that of GTA V?

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
So, this is still in beta right?

I know it's only been out a month but how have people gauged this online's popularity compared to that of GTA V?

Compared to GTA online it's not popular and there's hardly anything to do aside from make money for no reason because the guns are cheap and all the horses are rank locked. I was really into it for about two weeks and I've just lost interest no point in even logging in because aside from riding a horse there's nothing you can't get a better version of in some other game.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Compared to GTA online it's not popular and there's hardly anything to do aside from make money for no reason because the guns are cheap and all the horses are rank locked. I was really into it for about two weeks and I've just lost interest no point in even logging in because aside from riding a horse there's nothing you can't get a better version of in some other game.
It doesn't help that the leveling system is so anemic too. Even if you wanted to play just to rank up, the levelling system is so slow that there's no real feeling or sense of progression anyway.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't help that the leveling system is so anemic too. Even if you wanted to play just to rank up, the levelling system is so slow that there's no real feeling or sense of progression anyway.

Leveling is god awful it's like early 2000s mmo levels of slow unless you decide to go to Saint Denis and shoot cops off a ladder for a few hours. Leveling just feels unrewarding I'm rank 22 and I think I've unlocked all the guns except for a shotgun and who cares cause I already have the shotgun I prefer and I recently bought all the weapons I wanted and I made my ideal cowboy dress up outfit so there's not even anything to spend money on.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I have been playing this with my brother recently, but I just can't get into it.
Not enough to do, the rewards don't feel interesting (yay I get to grind for hours to get that gun I already shot 2000x times in the SP!) and the progress is fairly slow just trying to play normally.

It still has some good moments and I might mess around online with my brother some more, but I feel like there are better uses of my time among the other online games I am interested in or already play.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Just a few tips for online that I've learned about online (and some can be applied to story mode as well):

Always reset an achievement you get a gold buckle for (some you can't reset). This allows you to get the exp gains again for completing the challenge (you also get .2 gold bars for each challenge reset).

If you're on PS4, there is a free chestnut Arabian horse you can get (you just have to buy a 2nd stable) from the Saint Denis Stable. It's one of the better horses available for online play that gets nice stamina and health compared to your starter horse. It isn't as good as a white or black Arabian, but these don't even unlock until level 66/70.

When hunting, if you have an animal carcass on the back of your horse, you can get a 2nd one, as long as you don't skin the 2nd animal carcass. Merely mount your horse, then lasso the carcass of the un-skinned animal you want to take with you. Then just drag it back to the butcher and skin it there. Dragging the carcass over any terrain does not damage the pelt. You only lose the lasso on the carcass if your horse jumps though, so be aware (probably best to stick to roads when using this method - you can re-lasso if you lose it though).

If you don't have a rifle, you can ride your horse and lasso medium sized animals (deer, bucks, moose, boar, etc.) and kill them with you knife and it will leave their pelts in tact. Just be careful, due to lag, sometimes you lose the lasso on them even though you clearly lasso them on your screen, so be close. But also be aware when you are close that if your horse tramples the animal, their pelts are ruined.

Using the varmint rifle on critters (badgers, rabbits, possums, etc) will net you a perfect pelt even if the carcass is only 1 star (you just have to kill the animal in one shot, a 2nd shot will ruin the pelt). Side note, don't forget you can carry 2 small animal carcasses on your horse, rabbit carcasses sell for a decent amount, muskrats sell the most that I've seen, but are much harder to find. Birds that fly solo tend to sell for a decent amount (Eagles, Condors, Turkey Vultures, Hawks) and their feathers go for decent amount too, just have to kill them in one head shot.

If you found a pristine animal that is running and lost track of it, use eagle eye to keeps its path. If you don't, it will despawn. It doesn't take much for animals to despawn in online mode, but as long as you track them through eagle eye, they will never despawn.

There is a bug for selling to butchers for hides that are on the back of your horse. For some reason the system doesn't register the sale and you won't get any money for selling it but the hide will still disappear. Don't really know a good fix for this, other than I try to sell my high priced hides right away when I talk to the butcher at first and sometimes walk away and talk to him again to sell the hides. This bug doesn't appear to effect hides/meats you sell that are stored in your satchel.

Also as a heads up, if your horse has hides/animal carcasses stored on it, if you let your horse despawn or tell it to flee, you lose all the pelts/carcasses stored on your horse.

Eagle eye works for fishing, so if their is a fish you are trying to get, you can use eagle eye to spot the one you are potentially looking for (just as long as you have the bait it wants).

You can also "fish" by putting an unskinned animal carcass in a spot that is shallow enough for fish to swim up to, but too shallow for them to survive. So they end up just going belly up as they swim up to the carcass. The hard part is finding the right spot. One of the better spots I've seen for this is near the mouth of the Upper Montana river (north of Blackwater). That collection of little islands there presents some good spots. And if you want a peaceful non-griefing session, use the method I mention below to get away from most other players.

When fighting, try to go for head shots and try to do it from your horse (and use special ammo when you unlock it). You get +5 exp for each enemy you kill for head shots/mounted/special ammo/distance and dead eye active. So with a rifle you could potentially get +30 for one kill (you also get +5 if the enemy is mounted). Pretty easy to do in clearing out gang hideouts. Also suggest clearing out bandits that ambush you, get some nice exp gains for clearing them out (as well as hideouts).

There are different missions that unlock depending on your honor. Think there are 4 that are locked depending on this (2 are locked to low honor toons and 2 are locked to high honor toons). These missions won't even be available if your honor is too high/low on the map - this is how you get 100% on story missions completed.

If you're tired of being griefed, load into a zone that is far away from where you want to actually hunt/explore, then ride or quick travel to the location you want to hunt/explore. You generally enter lobbies that are occupied by players of the area you chose to load into. So if you want to hang around Blackwater, load into Lemoyne, you will be entered into a lobby that is heavily populated by players in Saint Denis/Lemoyne area, then ride/quick travel to Blackwater and there will be only maybe 1 or 2 players (if any at all) in that location. Instead of the 15+ that would be in Lemoyne.

There is also a mission for dishonorable toons that allows you to hunt indefinitely and without being griefed, you just need at least one other person to go with you.
It's the mission Kerosene, Tar and Greed. Simply stop the train and kill all the Pinkertons, then hunt in the area as long as you like. You can sell to butchers as they are all at their usual spots and animals spawn in the mission like normally out in free roam. I think once everyone boards the train and the next step of the mission is initiated, you can no longer sell/interact with vendors. I think there might be a time limit before the mission times out though (but I would think you'd still keep the money from the pelts/meats you've sold up to that point regardless), but I'm not sure. What I've also heard is that your exp doubles at the end when you complete the mission, but I don't know about that. But it does make for some easy hunting.

I'll try to post some things I've learned about PvP matches at some point down the line too.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
At 15% thoughts and my initial thoughts are better than God of War, it's surprising how much more like I like it than Red Dead Redemption which was also great

Oct 25, 2017
I hit level 25 over the New Years holiday, being sick and miserable. I enjoyed the deep dive.
I like how it's miserly where the main game is generous. It's fun with friends and terrifying without them. Even if you get ganged up on, it's pretty easy to go fuck off up a hill and do mountain man shit.

All in all, a pretty good hermitude sim.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I forgot all about this mode, where the hell the updates at?
Here's what Rockstar have said:

Upcoming Updates to the Red Dead Online Beta: We have been poring through incoming community input and suggestions and are working on updates for early 2019 to address many popular bits of feedback including some new anti-griefing measures in the works and other updates to improve gameplay balance. We are also working on lots of new features, modes and additional Red Dead Online gameplay content updates that we are very excited to share more about in the new year.

Thank you again to all Red Dead players worldwide for your amazing support and feedback contributions. Please stay tuned for more info in the coming weeks and months.
https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60762/Red-Dead-Online-Beta-Status-Update

I don't know if they'll follow the same process as GTAO, but if so then I wouldn't be surprised to get an info update for both games in about 12 hours or so.

Mitsurugi

Alt-account
Dec 11, 2018
Was so hyped for the online until I played it. Thought i'll put hundreds of hours in it but I guess not..

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Was so hyped for the online until I played it. Thought i'll put hundreds of hours in it but I guess not..

Same. Was looking forward to creating a character I could grow online, doing the PVE stuff I loved in the main game, but co-op (or even solo, just with a character I created). Instead, it's just griefers everywhere and I want no part of it. Fending off groups who just want to lasso, hogtie, and F with you isn't fun. Especially when the gunplay is so simple, and not exactly the strongest part of the game.

Mitsurugi

Alt-account
Dec 11, 2018
Same. Was looking forward to creating a character I could grow online, doing the PVE stuff I loved in the main game, but co-op (or even solo, just with a character I created). Instead, its just griefers everywhere and I want no part of it. Fending off groups who just want to lasso, hogtie, and F with you isn't fun. Especially when the gunplay is so simply and not exactly the strongest part of the game.
I'd also like to add the auto-aim

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I literally can't load stranger missions anymore. I changed servers, rebooted the xbox... everything. I speak to the NPC and the markers on the map vanish and the mission just doesn't trigger.

I've actually been having fun just playing these simple missions, ranking up and listening to podcasts, but now I can't even do that :(

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
New Anti-Griefing measures coming:

• Law and Bounty Upgrades: Some changes are coming to the way the Law and Bounty systems work in Red Dead Online to reduce the enticements for griefing. Soon, players will get a bounty for committing crimes and will be incentivized to pay them off within an allotted time. Wait too long and bounty hunters from each of the states will track the player forcing them to either pay up or escape.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
New Anti-Griefing measures coming:

• Law and Bounty Upgrades: Some changes are coming to the way the Law and Bounty systems work in Red Dead Online to reduce the enticements for griefing. Soon, players will get a bounty for committing crimes and will be incentivized to pay them off within an allotted time. Wait too long and bounty hunters from each of the states will track the player forcing them to either pay up or escape.

Surely bounty hunters will give 0 experience then, otherwise people will grief until they get a load of bounty hunters chasing them who they can farm kills off?

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i dont know about you guys, but i am STOKED for more auto aim PVP content

xd

I appreciate the start of a bounty system. I hope more free roam content comes soon too, and a fix for the stranger missions. Those were broken when I tried a few days ago

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Non auto aim, and private lobbies are my main hopes.
I prefer just playing with friends, but if I play with randoms, I don't mind people killing me and griefing as long as they have to actually use some degree of skill to kill me.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It's a start, I guess.

Is it ? Rockstar rushing to put in a Battle Royale lite instead of working on the actual foundation is making me quite wary. Just like microtransactions being the first thing they put in.

This is the kind of content update I'd expect for a game that's already feature-complete, like GTAO. The most basic shit still isn't on the horizon, I'm talking about stuff that's already in single-player ; property owning, mini games like poker, etc etc.

I'm still baffled they were this unprepared for launch, but their priorities don't look good right now imo.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Is it ? Rockstar rushing to put in a Battle Royale lite instead of working on the actual foundation is making me quite wary. Just like microtransactions being the first thing they put in.

This is the kind of content update I'd expect for a game that's already feature-complete, like GTAO. The most basic shit still isn't on the horizon, I'm talking about stuff that's already in single-player ; property owning, mini games like poker, etc etc.

I'm still baffled they were this unprepared for launch, but their priorities don't look good right now imo.
I mean, other than doing fuck all, it's a start. I would've assumed "I guess" showed I wasn't impressed but clearly not.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Really? Bounties are their solution to griefing? LIke griefers give a shit about getting a bounty. That just means more people will come after them to fuck with. Once again, R* showing they really don't care (or outright want griefing) to stop griefing, they just pay lip service to caring. Here's a solution, R*. You honestly want to stop griefing (which I don't think they do)? Give us a passive mode like gta V that only affects your interactions with other players (no not being able to shoot NPCs as well). Or give us private servers. The solution is right in front of their face... note they never did it right in GTA and in fact sabatoged private servers by forcing you to go to public ones to do any newer overall world room stuff that actually made decent money. I don't even know why I torture myself by hoping some how it will be different in RDR2.

And yeah, I'm with some one else, adding one random new mode to play isn't impressive on giving us stuff to do. I've heard plenty of cool suggestions but instead we just get another PvP type mode that you go in a seperate session to play.

If this is how they are going to be with online I hope it flops hard. At least then maybe they'll give us SP DLC to try to find other ways to make more money off it.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All of my stranger missions in New Hanover are bugged, remaining in a greyed out state. A large chunk of the map just pointless. For what little content there already was, there is now even less. Been like this for almost a month now, with more and more stranger missions bugging out over time.

But thank god they added another crappy BR mode that rewards you with nothing.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did Rockstar patch the glitch that if you change your hair style your character will default to the oldest age setting yet?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
jumping between gta online and red dead online gives me hope for the future of rdo. one day that map is going to be jam packed with crazy fun shit to do and things to buy. there's a flying car in gta online that completely breaks everything. i look forward to the day we can use a flying horse in rdo.

it's just unfortunate that these days AAA devs feel they can just release shit in such a barebones state, slap BETA or EARLY ACCESS on it and call it a day. rdo is hardly a mode at this point, so yeah, the thread is dead. lol

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
All I wanted from this stupid online mode was to play cowboy dress up and wear a poncho but they still haven't updated anything aside from some shitty battle royale mode. This online mode sucks ass it's no fun to even ride around because 90% of the people you come across are dressed in the exact same duster and exact same bison coat with the exact same hair cut and johns wolf scars. But the worst part is all my friends quit playing after a week my poor girlfriend lasted two weeks but that was from me begging her to play and even then she would only play for like 30 minutes at a time. /kicks dead horse

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, my brother is really digging the online portion (I don't really get it) and I have a decent time playing with him
but I really want some more open world stuff to do and not just auto-aim PVP modes.

We played a few hours of Gun Rush over this last weekend and I found myself pretty bored at the end of it.
It was at least a good way to jump into some action quickly and not worry so much about high lvl players, but you still run into people
with high lvl abilities and cheap tactics.

I can't believe how much of a grind it still is. I feel like most modern MMOs have a quicker level grind than this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.