• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
How do I use the metal detector?

If you have the right level you can buy it from Madame Nazar for like $700 (but you'll make it back quickly, basically 1 coin and one misc collection).

You enable it as an item on your weapon wheel. As you ride around when you come within a certain proximity to a buried collectible the detector will start to light up,.make a noise and your controller will rumble. As you get closer to the item the rumble becomes a short quick jolt until you're on top of the item when it'll be a steady buzz and you'll get a prompt to dig at that spot.

Like all collectibles make sure you have rumble enabled or it becomes almost impossible to find the items.

Coins, rings, jewelry, arrowheads and other boxes are buried. It's a cool mechanic that also makes.diwcovering loot easier.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got my 40 gold bars and bought the pass today, which just crapped items on me since I was already rank 100 lol.
unknown.png

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, guy who was on a trading haul, for blowing you up and stealing your supplies. I've never done it before and thought it would get me the trophy. It did not. I murdered you and stole your goods for nothing and I feel bad about it.

Bruv, thems free materials. Cuts your time spent having to hunt by like half. Steal two wagons and you don't even gotta work at all. Can just sit and wait for a free $625. Why work when you can just TAKE.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is well known that the moonshiner role is 100% broken right? Rockstar is aware?

Between losing everything if you don't deliver within minutes of completely a batch to half your batch being destroyed because you ran over a rabbit during delivery. This has to be getting fixed right? It's literally not worth even playing the role right now.

Edit: The Outlaw Pass this time around sucks too. What is Rockstar doing? Oh yeah, milking GTA Online to sell shark cards still.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
There really is no point doing long distance deliveries as trader, it's just not worth it. With Outlaw Pass maxed out you get 1250XP with local delivery and 150$ with medium wagon and you get 1500XP and 186$ for long distance one. And doing long distance one brings more risk and takes longer. Long distance delivery needs to be at least X2 more profitable to be worth the hassle.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
I started getting back into this with the Moonshiners update. Before I would get bored of it but this update seems really well done. The story missions are actually interesting, the business is similar to how GTA Online's functions. If you guys are on Xbox, I'd love to play with other people since I'm playing solo at the moment.

I need to get on that Outlaw Pass grind as well.

Edit: Spoke too soon, hunting is broken.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
There really is no point doing long distance deliveries as trader, it's just not worth it. With Outlaw Pass maxed out you get 1250XP with local delivery and 150$ with medium wagon and you get 1500XP and 186$ for long distance one. And doing long distance one brings more risk and takes longer. Long distance delivery needs to be at least X2 more profitable to be worth the hassle.
Long distance large wagon sales are $625, and shitheels are actually a very small minority in the game, so it's rare to be attacked.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
It's an extra $125 per sale. It justifies the extra travel time.

For me it doesn't, I waste more time, ammo and I risk being attacked by players. You can earn those 125$ other way. Same goes with waiting last 30sec to hand over Bounty, I simply stopped doing that because I am just wasting time and not enjoying game.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
For me it doesn't, I waste more time, ammo and I risk being attacked by players. You can earn those 125$ other way. Same goes with waiting last 30sec to hand over Bounty, I simply stopped doing that because I am just wasting time and not enjoying game.
I'm not really sure how else you can make $125 in 5 minutes in RDO - maybe a 5 star legendary bounty, but you'd have to be pretty bloody good I think. Don't forget that the long distance sales mean an extra $62.50 for all of your helpers too.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
GTA Online and Red Dead Online try to strike that balance of menial rewards for annoying gameplay. It's part of Rockstar's online formula, with GTA Online being much worse than RD Online. I generally feel the same as dex3108 about doing long distance delivery missions, which are just annoying and not fun to play... Drive a slow difficult to control ox cart over practically the entire map, while getting shot at by a meaningless barrage of zombie-idiot NPCs (... why are they even going after you...? Is a $25 sack of animal parts really worth your near guaranteed death, Mr. NPC...?), and having a non-zero likelihood that a real player is going to target your delivery and destroy it just after you've done that boring ~10mins of driving a cart and shooting zombie-like NPCs.

It's also not so much that "$125 is a great payout for just 10minutes of work," it's that $125 is mostly meaningless in these games. $125 pays for ... uh... like... a brass trigger on your gun. Or, it pays for 3 haircuts. Or 10 gun oils ... Or some other thing that is not really a reward. I'll be forever critical of Rockstar's online game design of encouraging players to try to make their games into work in order to get measley rewards. On the whole, I think that Red Dead Online is actually more rewarding than GTA Online, And the things that can be "Work-like" are actually things that I enjoy in Red Dead games, like exploration and collectibles (which was one of my favorite aspects from the original RDR).

This sort of diminutive debate over "pay per minute" is at the heart of why GTA Online is a bad videogame... Most discussion of the game on Reddit, or this community OT, devolved into arguments/explanations about which menial labor provided the best pay per minute rewards. A reward that ultimately grants you nothing because Rockstar developed a gameworld where the reward for doing menial labor is the opportunity to do more menial labor, and that's a terrible description of a game. I think that Red Dead Online has been better balanced and developed than GTA Online, the story missions are actually rewarding from a game-playing perspective (as opposed to GTA Online's story-like missions which really missed the mark, were cheesy and are more similar in tone to Saints Row than Grand Theft Auto).

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
GTA Online and Red Dead Online try to strike that balance of menial rewards for annoying gameplay. It's part of Rockstar's online formula, with GTA Online being much worse than RD Online. I generally feel the same as dex3108 about doing long distance delivery missions, which are just annoying and not fun to play... Drive a slow difficult to control ox cart over practically the entire map, while getting shot at by a meaningless barrage of zombie-idiot NPCs (... why are they even going after you...? Is a $25 sack of animal parts really worth your near guaranteed death, Mr. NPC...?), and having a non-zero likelihood that a real player is going to target your delivery and destroy it just after you've done that boring ~10mins of driving a cart and shooting zombie-like NPCs.

It's also not so much that "$125 is a great payout for just 10minutes of work," it's that $125 is mostly meaningless in these games. $125 pays for ... uh... like... a brass trigger on your gun. Or, it pays for 3 haircuts. Or 10 gun oils ... Or some other thing that is not really a reward. I'll be forever critical of Rockstar's online game design of encouraging players to try to make their games into work in order to get measley rewards. On the whole, I think that Red Dead Online is actually more rewarding than GTA Online, And the things that can be "Work-like" are actually things that I enjoy in Red Dead games, like exploration and collectibles (which was one of my favorite aspects from the original RDR).

This sort of diminutive debate over "pay per minute" is at the heart of why GTA Online is a bad videogame... Most discussion of the game on Reddit, or this community OT, devolved into arguments/explanations about which menial labor provided the best pay per minute rewards. A reward that ultimately grants you nothing because Rockstar developed a gameworld where the reward for doing menial labor is the opportunity to do more menial labor, and that's a terrible description of a game. I think that Red Dead Online has been better balanced and developed than GTA Online, the story missions are actually rewarding from a game-playing perspective (as opposed to GTA Online's story-like missions which really missed the mark, were cheesy and are more similar in tone to Saints Row than Grand Theft Auto).

And this is the essence of why MTs are bad... they encourage game companies to purposely make badly designed games that are designed more to make you pay to make them fun. They want it to be work cause they want you to just want to skip it. In GTA the rewards aren't the ability to do more work.. it's the cars and toys you get to buy (which ultimately once the novelty wears off get boring so you want the newest toy they have). The work rewards are just enticing to make it slightly easier to earn those toys... except then they introduce new toys that are more expensive and make that work just as grindy (it's why everything keeps getting more expensive). To me the worst grievence though is the fact that they encourage griefers because griefers help add frustration to the work so that you just pay to skip having to deal with that bullshit. Encouraging some gamers to make other gamers game miserable is horrible design. And they absolutely do so. And they make it easy for the griefers (slow UPS trucks/slow wagons that are easy to destroy).

You are right that Red Dead is a lot better than that. ONe reason I think is that at first it wasn't attracting enough people so they had to make it more fun to get people on (one reason they have a better anti griefing system than GTA though of course it just makes it a little harder to grief, not impossible. And of course money making stuff you are forced out of it. But, also, they learned from GTA that they can't allow private servers or people will just play on that to escape griefing and htey absolutely want you to get griefed). Hell, I didn't realize you can get half your materials by destroying some one else's shipment... no wonder ROckstar doesn't care there are no animals in the servers... this will only serve to help encourage people to just grief each other more when the only way to get materials is to go destroy some one else's shipment.

I would bet both GTA and RDR would be immensely improved in gameplay and design if they charged you for each DLC or charged you a monthly fee. Unfortunately, that is not near as profitable and most gamers now are used to playing online for free so people would revolt (and a lot of gamers are very short sighted so good luck trying to explain why it's ultimately better they pay to be able to play rather than play free and have to be coerced to pay).

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Think of my posts like a bad rock ballad (and then they're not so bad)

Oh no, not you. Tigress. It's just distracting. Like half a paragraph is just in parentheses when it doesn't need to be, I told him this before you GOTTA STOP USIN-

I digress. Uh, I stole a wagon last night, god forgive me for I have made money. Winners, losers, nothing else besides yadda yadda.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're always there on PC for me
To be fair, I haven't played RDO on PC in a while, because I don't want to start over and loose 100 hrs of progress. But now I think I'll stick to PC for awhile. With an SSD it's also not that painful to get stuck in infinite loading, since restarting the game only takes a minute or so.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I haven't played RDO on PC in a while, because I don't want to start over and loose 100 hrs of progress. But now I think I'll stick to PC for awhile. With an SSD it's also not that painful to get stuck in infinite loading, since restarting the game only takes a minute or so.
I was like this at first, but after just doing dailies to then playing a bit more, I'm long past what my progress was on PS4

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a certain type of ammo that you should use in repeaters or something? I can line the shot up for the head time and time again but only once in a blue moon does it actually hit the head, or even the player. Whereas they can face to me and get that shot first try. What's going on with the aiming here?I'd understand if I'm missing but the red cursor kind of shows that's not what's happening here. I can even just go for a body shit with it red and it will miss 5 times in a row pretty damn often.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Why is my x2 multiplier not applying?

jORXGcD.png
A2obpgV.png

I could be wrong but I think you're 1 day off on the bonus

Days 1 - 7: 1x
Days 8 - 14: 1.5x
Days 15 - 21: 2x
(etc)

But doing the math starts to feel like a "What year does a decade begin in..." thread :D

See what it is for tomorrow's dailies and confirm. If not, take screenshots and demand that Rockstar give you 0.05 gold bars for every day they jilt you!

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Camp won't spawn, the one time it randomly showed up after joining a session crashed my ps4. Cant deliver shine since its just an infinite loading screen. Can't even ride my damn horse without it tripping over a pebble. Christ Almighty. This is really starting to feel like the late stages of single player where the flaws overtake any positives.

I'm going to try to get a longnose gar for that challenge and then move on for the day.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I also really hate these "Donate 20 carcasses to Crips in 10 minutes" Daily challenges. But i guess that i am really lucky that i am not that obsessed with them so i will do 1 per day if they are annoying just to keep multiplier and ignore others. In general i don't want to grind and "work" i just want to enjoy environments and have some kind of progression. And so far RDO really is better than GTA Online in that sense.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
So if I'm understanding this correctly:

- Each collectible now has 6 distinct sets of locations, with the exception of American Wild Flowers which has 9.
- Each day, each collectible is randomly assigned a number between 1-6 (1-9 for Wild Flowers) at random to keep things different each and every day.

I don't mind this. Always expected the 3 day cycle to get shaken up sooner or later. Collectibles is still the easiest way to get a ton of money and xp. I fucking wish there was a grind in GTA Online as simple as this.

Jean Ropke's map seems to be up to date with all these locations. If you want easy money/an easy way to hit max rank for the outlaw pass, follow that map.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Albatross and Tigress: RDO dollars will buy you lots of stuff: new weapons, weapon upgrades, clothing, new horse breeds, saddles, stirrups, horse customisation, character customisation, tents, camp customisation, crafting recipes, ability cards, wagons, business upgrades, etc.

People can obsess about making money as much or as little as they want to. The same goes for levelling up. My comments were in response to another comment about the money making process, so dealt with the money making process. Don't take them as an insistence about how people should play RDO, they are merely about the best way to go about making money if that is your goal.

People ultimately need to judge for themselves whether RDO is fun enough for them to continue playing or not. One thing I will say about GTAO and RDO though: they do have a grind designed into them, but they also both get a metric fucktonne of content added to them regularly as well.

As to long deliveries themselves, I quite enjoy getting the group of seven players together in camp and prepping for delivery, along with the tension of the delivery as well: no matter how many times I do them, the heart rate does always increase a bit when the words "RIVAL TRADERS CAN NOW STEAL YOUR GOODS" flash up. And the ending shootouts are always fun too.

Why is my x2 multiplier not applying?
You'll see it tomorrow.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
My month long gold streak blows up tomorrow as I'll be out of town.... sigh.

Level 19 moonshiner and rank 85ish on the outlaw pass. One of my personal goals is to get the highest rank horse and unique saddle for each role. I've already got the the other three roles covered and have the moonshiner saddle, looking forward to my new horse in the next few days.

I think a lot of these outlaw pass discounts are going to be of little use to me, unfortunately, since I'm a crazy person and already have my camp fully upgraded and most of the weapons I care about. Hopefully I'll be able to take advantage of some of the clothing discounts.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Are the servers on PS4 down for anyone else? I swear it says one of my friends is playing online but it won't let me connect. I swear I wish I would lose all hope for both gta and red dead so I could be easily done with rockstar. There is definitely stuff I enjoy but the bugs and purposely bad game design piss me off so much at the same time.

Khilandros

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
support.rockstargames.com

Rockstar Games Customer Support

Receive help with your Rockstar Games technical issues – Use our Knowledge Base Articles and receive assistance via Callback, Chat, Email, and our Player Supported Community
The servers are up, but only for those already on the servers. You will get the server fail to connect errors if you try to to join them.

They are aware of this and fixing it according to their twitter: https://twitter.com/RockstarSupport/with_replies?lang=en

Last edited:

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or is the Dance at a Moonshine Bar objective broken? I've been trying but can't unlock it

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I checked the social club and GTAO has been getting dripfeed over the holidays they got shit the day after Christmas I know nothing works and dripfeed wont help but I got some games over the holidays and I need to make space on my HD so I need this coat in the dripfeed so I can uninstall the game until the next patch.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
true it's back

giphy.gif

i've unlocked all the roles, bounty hunter is still bugged so i'm doing the others
road to 40 gold bars for the pass is long

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

Aaand the camp is bugged again! Grrr. Got this juicy perfect cougar on horseback......

Got a hunting wagon? Put it in there.

I've had less camp issues but I'll fucking take the camp issues being as rampant as before for being able to find servers with animals. As is at this point it is pretty much gaurenteed there are no animals. I don't avoid riding through the swamps at all or look for alligators cause I know they aren't there.

But you know, it would be nice if they actually fixed the game so that the trader role isn't useless/frustrating. God forbid they do something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.