• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Is this for cosmetic stuff only or does it give you an advantage? I haven't played RDR2, but was thinking about picking it up when it's released on PC.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of you have no respect. Real gold bars are considerably more expensive. Rockstar is offering you a steal.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Is this for cosmetic stuff only or does it give you an advantage? I haven't played RDR2, but was thinking about picking it up when it's released on PC.

A mix of both, because you can buy better horses, weapons and equipment with Gold early, while others are stuck with Level restrictions.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What EA or Ubisoft game has microtransactions invading their single-player portion?

A few simple examples I didn't realize needed to even be mentioned:

EA
Dead Space (3 did it worst and killed the franchise)
Need for Speed (Payback did it worst and likely killed the franchise)
Any of their sports titles

Ubisoft
Assassin's Creed since Syndicate
Far Cry 5

Most companies have had some form of MTX in their singleplayer games since about 2011-2012.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
Strauss Zelnick, Take Two CEO last year:

"We are convinced that we are probably from an industry view undermonetizing on a per-user basis. There is wood to chop because I think we can do more, and we can do more without interfering with our strategy of being the most creative and our ethical approach, which is delighting consumers."

"You can't give stuff away for free in perpetuity; there's no business model in that. But we're not trying to optimize the monetization of everything we do to the nth degree. My concern is, if you do that, the consumer knows. They might not even know that they know, but they feel it."

"We're not going to grab the last nickel."
Leopold Strauss approves. From one Strauss to another.
latest

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I've been holding off on the online mode until I completed the singler player, but now I'm just going to skip it completely. The only thing I'll ever pay for in a game is new maps or a meaty expansion. It sounds like rdr2 online is designed to just spend money instead of actually just having fun playing the game. Pass.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly worse than GTA online. GTA online did not have any premium currency so you could grind and see progress. There is no way to reasonably grind for gold bar purchases. Unless every item can be purchased with normal currency.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Far Cry 5 was the most recent. The SP store that you had to use to upgrade/buy guns and cars ... was directly connected to their online store ... which made the game pause for MINUTES to load when playing "offline" - also in some cases would crash the game entirely.
That sounds like shitty UI programming, but are the MTX so intrusive that you feel like you need to buy them to enjoy the game?
I'm saying this because I'm currently playing through AC Odyssey for the first time and, after all that blown out controversy about its experience booster, I have to say that was much ado about nothing. Progression in the game is completely fine, it's exactly what it was in Origins, which didn't feature a booster. The store isn't even intrusive either, you'd never even see it if you didn't mean to.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

EA

Ubisoft
Far Cry 5

Most companies have had some form of MTX in their singleplayer games since about 2011-2012.
I've played many of those games and had no problem completing them and enjoying them without spending a single extra cent. So "invading" seems a harsh way of putting it. And Dead Space 3? Come on, that was an absurd over-reaction at the time, I can't believe anyone is still thinking today that MTX ruined the game.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
R* is in the unique position of being one of a few AAA devs that literally design their in game economies around microtransactions. Most games use it as a way to take shortcuts. R* games you almost have to spend real money if you don't have time to grind for hours upon hours every week.
Or...they could design and balance the grind in a way that doesn't make players feel like they need to spend hundreds of dollars in real world money just to feel like they're keeping up.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played many of those games and had no problem completing them and enjoying them without spending a single extra cent. So "invading" seems a harsh way of putting it. And Dead Space 3? Come on, that was an absurd over-reaction at the time, I can't believe anyone is still thinking today that MTX ruined the game.

Yet here we are with the franchise dead, it sure didn't help make it all that extra money to come out on top.

And the outrage was because MTX wasn't so prevalent, if anything the outrage wasn't enough because here we are now.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
SPECIAL OFFER!
C++:
*💲99.99.... 🔊CHA-CHING🔊*
void AddGold(Player& currentPlayer, int amount){
    currentPlayer.wallet += amount;
}
AddGold(Sucker1234, 350000);
I find the MTX in Rockstar games to be completely overpriced and they're known to be fairly P2W. But people aren't paying just to have the gold. The gold will serve to purchase other content in-game, so this is actual content being sold, not just a digital number.

EA

Ubisoft
Far Cry 5

Dead Space and Need for Speed didn't die because they had MTX. They died because the games were mediocre. Dead Space 3, specifically, because EA didn't know what to do with it and it turned out completely different from its predecessors.

As for Assassin's Creed, I'll quote my previous post:

That sounds like shitty UI programming, but are the MTX so intrusive that you feel like you need to buy them to enjoy the game?
I'm saying this because I'm currently playing through AC Odyssey for the first time and, after all that blown out controversy about its experience booster, I have to say that was much ado about nothing. Progression in the game is completely fine, it's exactly what it was in Origins, which didn't feature a booster. The store isn't even intrusive either, you'd never even see it if you didn't mean to.

Not once do I feel like I need to pay to enjoy these games properly, their microtransactions aren't invasive at all. And it's not like the game lacks content so you feel like you need to buy more stuff, quite the opposite, the last two AC games are very much packed with content.
Can't speak for Far Cry, as I haven't played it since 3.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Trading this game in after I'm done with the epilogue. Fuck the online and the microtransactions. Rockstar will not get a cent in microtransaction money from me. Sad thing is idiots will keep buying that shit so we'll keep getting it.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
I find the MTX in Rockstar games to be completely overpriced and they're known to be fairly P2W. But people aren't paying just to have the gold. The gold will serve to purchase other content in-game, so this is actual content being sold, not just a digital number.
Well right now they are paying for content that's already shipped and locked behind grind or paywalls. So it's still just an insanely overpriced P2W cheat code.

But yeah... probably more justifiable when they start releasing new content for free( i assume ).

OP
OP
Ben Walker

Ben Walker

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
England, United Kingdom
You can plate your Gun Barrel, Cylinder, Frame, Hammer, Sight and Trigger in Gold which is 5 Gold Bars for each of those. 6x5 is 30 Gold Bars total, which checks out at 11.988 US$, if you take the base price of 9.99 US$ for 25 Gold Bars.

I posted an other example above with the Arabian Horse, which checks out at 16.7832 US$ (42 Gold Bars).

That's a yikes from me, dawg.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You responded to a post asking for games where the mtx "invade" singleplayer by posting "Assassin's Creed since Syndicate." My post was pointing out the fact that I legitimately don't know how to purchase mtx in Odyssey. How is that "invading" singleplayer?

Its there. For someone who hates MTX and the fact they exist in SP, they've invaded from MP to SP. Plenty of people hate what they did in Odyseey even compared to Origins from a year ago.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
Here's a thought exercise. It's Friday evening and you are playing RDR2 online. You go the gunsmith. He is selling the most beautiful revolver you have ever seen in a video game but you can only buy it with 55 gold bars. In real life, you work a salary job and earlier in the day just clocked 40 hours for the week. You get a call from your boss. "Hey, I need some extra help this weekend. Are you available to work? Overtime pay!". Do you ( A ) Accept overtime, grind real life work, and use the extra real money to buy virtual gold bars to buy the most beautiful virtual revolver ever ( B ) Decline, say you are busy, and grind RDR2 online for virtual gold bars to buy the most beautiful revolver ever ( C ) Go online and complain about how the most beautiful revolver ever costs too many virtual gold bars ( D ) Decide to play Fallout 76 instead

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
R* is in the unique position of being one of a few AAA devs that literally design their in game economies around microtransactions. Most games use it as a way to take shortcuts. R* games you almost have to spend real money if you don't have time to grind for hours upon hours every week.

Any game trying to sell shortcuts in a $60+ product is sad as fuck in my opinion, but sure, Rockstar usually manages to get away with taking the piss the most.

Outside of say FIFA.

lol, this is how we got here.

Earlier this week, a photo ostensibly taken of a crafting screen in Dead Space 3 revealed what appeared to be the option to purchasing crafting resources through microtransactions. In an interview with CVG , Visceral Producer John Calhoun acknowledged the existence of microtransactions in the game, and said the inclusion of a quick-buy option is meant for players who "need instant gratification" instead of procuring materials on their own.

"There's a lot of players out there, especially players coming from mobile games, who are accustomed to microtransactions," Calhoun explained. "They're like, 'I need this now, I want this now.' They need instant gratification. So, we included that option in order to attract those players, so that if they're 5000 Tungsten short of this upgrade, they can have it."

How fucking kind.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
This game can't possibly be as big of a gold mine(pun intented)as GTAV was can it........I would of thought the western setting would not be as popular as the modern day LA setting for the casual gamer out there.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony and Microsoft must be salivating at their 30% cut on those insanely priced microtransactions

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a thought exercise. It's Friday evening and you are playing RDR2 online. You go the gunsmith. He is selling the most beautiful revolver you have ever seen in a video game but you can only buy it with 55 gold bars. In real life, you work a salary job and earlier in the day just clocked 40 hours for the week. You get a call from your boss. "Hey, I need some extra help this weekend. Are you available to work? Overtime pay!". Do you ( A ) Accept overtime, grind real life work, and use the extra real money to buy virtual gold bars to buy the most beautiful virtual revolver ever ( B ) Decline, say you are busy, and grind RDR2 online for virtual gold bars to buy the most beautiful revolver ever ( C ) Go online and complain about how the most beautiful revolver ever costs too many virtual gold bars ( D ) Decide to play Fallout 76 instead

You forgot e) choose to play a game where grinding is not a pain in the ass but meaningful and actually fun.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
MathEra, how much does this come out to in canned baked beans? We need some conversion rates. Stat!

Dec 28, 2017
D. Seems the right path and maybe I will not ask much in this life and get some canvas bags to hide my gold bars. Anyway, fuck all the microtransactions and all the influencers. May all burn in fallout 69 hell.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Its there. For someone who hates MTX and the fact they exist in SP, they've invaded from MP to SP. Plenty of people hate what they did in Odyseey even compared to Origins from a year ago.
Assassin's Creed doesn't even have multiplayer anymore, it can't possibly have invaded SP from MP. Microtransactions aren't new to single player and they certainly aren't exclusive to multiplayer. What is the difference between an in-game store selling armor and a DLC armor pack being sold at the same price on the platform store? Those aren't new at all, in fact, they've been around since before Assassin's Creed was even a thing. Is it the fact devs designed an interface in-game to make it easier to sell them?

Suddenly that makes it invasive and mandatory?

I really don't understand.

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how I enjoyed the single player, I remember when people on here were claiming rockstar would put micro transactions in single player or the single player would be short. Neither of that happened. The single player alone is worth the money. The online is just a bonus that I'm not bothered in because it looks boring compared to GTA.

I wish them good luck and hope they make millions so they can take their time and give us a great GTA 6.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm not sure even whales are going to bother with this yet. There's fuck all to buy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Online blows.

Rockstar and TakeTwo learned nothing from GTA Online. The dollars just completely cloud their vision.

One real gold bar is around 40$ right now !

Ehhhh....

An ounce of .999% 24-karat gold runs about $1200 right now. A typical gold bar you'd see in movies or in Ft. Knox is 12.5 kilos / 400oz... So you'd be looking at about $480,000 for a bar of gold.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The MTX drove the terrible crafting system which led to less weapon variety and never running low on ammo.