• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
https://www.mcvuk.com/business/red-...nt-clinch-uk-retails-biggest-week-one-of-2018

UK retail sales figures are out for Red Dead Redemption 2 and while the title has sold very well indeed, it has failed to top FIFA 19, which remains the biggest week one release of the year.

Second place is highly respectable of course, but with huge development costs, the game will need to successfully monetise its online service in order to be considered a success – by Rockstar standards at least.

The title was never going to have the same draw as the company's biggest franchise. And the games market is a very different place to 2013 when GTA V was released. But week one sales of 27 per cent of the biggest game launch of all-time is nothing to be sniffed at.

We await a report on digital sales from Rockstar or parent Take-Two.

Another way to look at the game is that RDR 2 claimed just over 60 per cent of the retail market this week, so the idea that no one was buying anything else this weekend is rather put to rest. Compare that to an incredible 89 per cent market share for GTA V on its launch week and you get an idea of how big it was out-of-the-blocks.

More recent comparisons of 75 per cent for FIFA 19 and just 44 per cent for Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 show RDR 2 is doing well, though not outstandingly so, in dominating public consciousness at launch.

According to the article, RDR2 had the second biggest week one sales in UK, so under FIFA 19, but above COD Black Ops IIII. Retail only, of course.

The game has sold around 27% of what GTA V sold back in 2013, but it sold around double of what the first Red Dead Redemption sold back in 2010.

Last edited:

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
With no digital sales tracked the data from GfK is quite meaningless these days.

27% of GTAV is over 600k retail sales.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of digital sort of makes this meaningless. Though it was always going to be slightly more muted than GTA.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I've been telling people that Red Dead isn't on the same level as a GTA. Cowboys and horses aren't as appealing to as many people.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More than anything this reinforces that RDR, owing to its setting, simply lacks the universal appeal that something like GTA has.

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
Understandable
People age still hooked on assassin's creed odyssey and don't want to stop playing it.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Less so than Red Dead I would imagine. FIFA is disposable when the next one comes around annually. Common sentiment I see in the UK is you buy FIFA on disc, have your fun with it and then trade it in for maximum value before it plummets below ~£5.

I'm pretty sure FIFA has super strong digital sales. If I had to guess, I would say a higher digital attach rate than Red Dead.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Less so than Red Dead I would imagine. FIFA is disposable when the next one comes around annually. Common sentiment I see in the UK is you buy FIFA on disc, have your fun with it and then trade it in for maximum value before it plummets below ~£5.

I would think a lot of people that play FIFA don't care about that .
FiFA also has a good DD rate so that don't mean RDR2 will be higher with DD .

Also people should never expect to crazy sales for this since it not GTA.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
More than anything this reinforces that RDR, owing to its setting, simply lacks the universal appeal that something like GTA has.
GTA is a freak of nature. It's literally the most profitable entertainment product, full stop, ever. Any comparison against it is pretty moot, and it'd be silly for them to expect anything even remotely as successful to happen again.

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017
Nah if anything I bet fifa is higher digital than rd as it's most played game, trading in gets you next to nothing, and with things like ea access you get money off etc.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I wouldn't take that 27% of gta 5 as any sort of doom or gloom. First of all that's already 600k sales, as Zhuge said.

It has to be remembered that digital has a MUCH BIGGER share today that it did 5 years ago.

If we include Digital for both titles, I would bet that percentage is certainly quite a bit higher.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
We will see when digital numbers get factored in.
With the rate FIFA is going down physically while increasing every year in LTD, it has to be quite a strong digital franchise.

The last game did 24 million units overall, but you certainly wouldn't get that impression from physical sales.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It is for one of the most expensive, if not the most, videogames in history

The key is that we don't know what the digital numbers are like. And I actually expect them to be quite high given how big the game is. I think a digital version became a lot more enticing the second the size of the game was revealed and the long install started to set in on people. If you went digital then you'd have it pre-loaded and ready to go at midnight on the release date.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expected this.

Red Dead was never GTA. Even T2 has been trying to brace their shareholders who expected another GTAV megaseller.

It will however still sell totally fine in the end. 20-30 million lifetime would be my guess.