• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be very careful to be excited about a Pro IQ improvement, the placebo effect is often a strong one. ;) That being said, the one comparison pic does look better now, but it's also from a slightly different angle and with different lighting, so....
It's clearly a lot better.

OP
OP
BladeX

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
The lighting conditions can easily confuse though. The sunlight in the first picture is "baking" the entire scene, compared to the second photo. We just need DF to update on this.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a placebo effect. Zoom on the picture.

I actually looked at both very closely in Photoshop. I resized them to fit each other first of all, overlayed both images and directly matched different sections of the images. Yes, the newer image does look clearer and sharper, but the camera is slightly different on both images, more zoomed in on the new image, and the lighting is completely different. There are times of day in the game that have a softer and mistier look. It's not a good comparison to come to any final conclusion.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Just booted up RDR2 after downloading the patch, first time in about a week. The frame rate has absolutely tanked on Xbox One X, huge difference to last time I played it. What the hell?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hard to tell for sure, as I'm on my phone and the pics aren't exactly the same but zooming in on both pics, the 2nd pic does appear to be a little sharper with more fine detail, so fingers crossed this has mostly sorted the IQ problem on the Pro.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I actually looked at both very closely in Photoshop. I resized them to fit each other first of all, overlayed both images and directly matched different sections of the images. Yes, the newer image does look clearer and sharper, but the camera is slightly different on both images, more zoomed in on the new image, and the lighting is completely different. There are times of day in the game that have a softer and mistier look. It's not a good comparison to come to any final conclusion.
Right button of the mouse open the picture and zoom on it with lens. It's not a placebo. I'm not sure if they just paired back the TAA or fixed the CBR, but the IQ is definitely sharper.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing on ps4 pro for the online mode (that's where my friends are).
Coming from the XB1X so it's nice to see they've possibly fixed the blurriness.

WHERE'S MY HDR?!

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Just hope its legit performance improvements and not "we secretly cut down graphical features to get those improvements" type of deal

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Here is another one, look at trees and grass.

Before
Red-Dead-Redemption-2-20181026175717.png

After

Red-Dead-Redemption-2-20181127122253.png

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if it's improved or not, but I'm now using 4k checkerboard on the Pro. You still get some weird smear softness in trees etc, but on the whole running 4kcb I do notice a slight detail and sharpness improvement across numerous objects, environmental elements, cheracters etc, plus notably on things like clothes, weapon detailing etc. I'm actually leaving it in pseudo 4K now instead of forcing it to run 1080p.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
It's a good idea to do a full reset on Xbox after patches finish downloading or any system updates to make sure there aren't any shenanigans happening with the update(s).

Also, it may be a placebo but walking around the camp near Rhodes seems smoother to me. That is one place where occasional judder happens for me.

I haven't been into any towns yet.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I usually do a console restart after downloading a large patch as it often helps alleviate any potential issues. Glad all is good mate!

That's weird, I haven't had these issues before but then again, this is the most I've played on Xbox since I got Forza Horizon 2. Cheers though.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Here is another one, look at trees and grass.

Before
Red-Dead-Redemption-2-20181026175717.png

After

Red-Dead-Redemption-2-20181127122253.png

The IQ did actually improve. It is sharper and more detailed. You can't really compare anything in the foreground, because the camera angles are too different, but you can compare the backgrounds:

old:
gq1a9g0ki9o42ovzg.jpg

new:
4ldzeelhfye0unezg.jpg

The trees have more clarity, their stems are visible as fine lines instead of thick blurry ones.

old:
d6wby68q6iag6jazg.jpg

new:
ra3jfqm3qrry25gzg.jpg

The mountain outline is sharper, the snow fields on the mountain are clearer and less blurry as well.

If the changes aren't really apparent to you, you need to overlay the two images and switch back and forth, then there is a clear improvement visible.

Last edited:

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The IQ did actually improve. It is sharper and more detailed. You can't really compare anything in the foreground, because the camera angles are too different, but you can compare the backgrounds:

old:
gq1a9g0ki9o42ovzg.jpg

new:
4ldzeelhfye0unezg.jpg

The trees have more clarity, their stems are visible as fine lines instead of thick blurry ones.

old:
ra3jfqm3qrry25gzg.jpg

new:
ra3jfqm3qrry25gzg.jpg

The mountain outline is sharper, the snow fields on the mountain are clearer and less blurry as well.

If the changes aren't really apparent to you, you need to overlay the two images and switch back and forth, then there is a clear improvement visible.
I could be wrong but if you zoom very closely the trees in the background appear less pixelated with the new patch almost it's more pixels resolved.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing the game non stop for weeks now and I haven't noticed any changes to the IQ, to be honest. IF it turns out to be a difference I believe it will be quite small.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

There's been some hope that changes to their reconstruction technique on the PS4 Pro version could yield a sharper picture, even if it's just balancing out the same performance with different post-processing. This was their most recent patch, but it doesn't look to have made enough of a difference to even know if there were changes in IQ at all. I don't think graphical changes were mentioned in the patch notes, either.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I m not a pixels counter but the vegetation seems notable better to me compared before the patch, from these picture. I dont understand how is it so subtle when it was a total mess before, I catch it from the first picture.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Damn been waiting for a patch to sort out the image quality :((

Need DF to review the patch right away.
Let 's be clear here. If people expected a patch which deliver a comparable IQ to the X version it will never happens. The important is an improvement which provide a decent IQ for the 4k tv where before it was even more blurried compared the 1080p mode.

OP
OP
BladeX

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Hmmm... seems like lighting is tweaked around after the patch to improve framerate...

I can definitely confirm that the general store in Valentine had all lights on before the patch. This created fps issues during nightime. Now after the patch only 1 faint light is on which alleviates the framerate issue completely but reduces the wow factor of the lighting considerably...

I have before and after pictures to prove this but at the moment i cannot post due real life obligations...

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm... seems like lighting is tweaked around after the patch to improve framerate...

I can definitely confirm that the general store in Valentine had all lights on before the patch. This created fps issues during nightime. Now after the patch only 1 faint light is on which alleviates the framerate issue completely but reduces the wow factor of the lighting considerably...

I have before and after pictures to prove this but at the moment i cannot post due real life obligations...
Can't believe I'm writing this... but for this game I'll gladly take wow-worthy visuals and a few framerate dips here and there. Not a fan of downgraded visuals. And the dips has never bothered me in this game.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Dont notice any difference. I got the patch earlier but not once did i think they may have improved visuals. The fact i didnt and dont notice anything suggests ...nothing?

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
On X and still think HDR on is 2x better than off. Get a lot more volumetric lighting and fog and HDR off gives me crushed blacks. I don't know how folks are seeing otherwise