• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adobe

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expected this but great news for us X owners! I'm sure the game will look stunning on Pro as well.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Feeling validated picking up an x for this. Alternative of playing on base ps4 would have been less satisfying.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Already bought the game on PS4 Pro and will start playing it on it. But certainly a good case to finally give in and buy an X in the near future

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said before rushing a piece of hardware to just be the first on the market is not always the best and wisest solution. For people who wanted really soemthing much better with the PS4 Pro and especially something that sparks on their 4K TVs, they are kinda bitter.
I really hope for the sake of humanity that Sony won't rush the PS5 to be the first on the market and throw any current hardware that can't survive an entire egenration in which we shoudl normally be close to reality.

Even if they don't rush and do everything right it's almost a given the next Xbox will be more powerful.

Enpap-x

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 1, 2018
Nothing smooth about 30fps

I'll be interested in 60fps+ version for next gen consoles and PC

False. A better opinion is there is nothing smooth about inconsistent frame timing. A locked 30 is smooth, a fluctuating frame-rate is not. This is not the PS360 era anymore. Most console game lock at 30 most of the time and feel smooth because their frame times are consistent. 30 FPS is about the lowest a FPS can be and still be smooth, though.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing smooth about 30fps

I'll be interested in 60fps+ version for next gen consoles and PC
I assume PCs would hypothetically blaze through this game since it seems much more dependent on the CPU than GPU, given that it runs at native 4K on the X and that the minimal CPU advantage of the base Xbone is enough to give it a framerate advantage over PS4mateur.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the video and I'm just impressed. R* just doesn't let you down when it comes to tech.

Disappointing about the hdr, but the color still looked mighty impressive watching it on my 50 dollar phone. I'm encouraged how it'll look on the .

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Like I said before rushing a piece of hardware to just be the first on the market is not always the best and wisest solution. For people who wanted really soemthing much better with the PS4 Pro and especially something that sparks on their 4K TVs, they are kinda bitter.
I really hope for the sake of humanity that Sony won't rush the PS5 to be the first on the market and throw any current hardware that can't survive an entire egenration in which we shoudl normally be close to reality.
Pro is not absolutely a rushed hardware, come on now. It's a ps4 upgrade thinking for the 4k TV. MS needs to recover their image and they released an hardware to replace completely the base xbone. Look the IQ, is a mess in this console. They almost pretend it not exist. Sony couldn't risked to screw their userbase releasing a console which replaced the base sku otherwise to MS.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Looks like I'll have to eat crow about doubting the game being 4K on the 1X and having stable 30fps.

PensivePen

Oct 25, 2017
Bad reconstruction really bugs the hell out of me. It was something that was very distracting in Dragon Quest XI as well. I hope they can do a patch or at the very least that it doesn't stand out as much when playing on a 1080p display (which I'll be on).

This is definitely not on Rockstar, it's definitely on the hardware differences, you can ask the digital foundry guys if you have any further doubts, they'll probably say the same thing.
They literally say in the video that there are other games which do checkerboard rendering much better.

Oct 28, 2017
i watched the video but maybe i missed it, do they mention how the games perform on xboxx/ps4pro on 1080p screens? do we know what kind of benefits they get?

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
What about PS4 Pro on 1080p display?

Does it supersample without system level checkbox or not?

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful that this runs native 4k on the X. When the PC Port comes out, it'll be a great upgrade from the PS4 Pro version I'll be playing tomorrow. Rockstar did good this time by the consoles it seems.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, sony has a marketing deal if anything they'd have an incentive to work really hard on the pro version as it was the version shown up to today, the x version is only now being featured, so why would they gimp the pro version and achieve such a remarkable feat with the x if the issue wasn't hardware related.

This is definitely not on Rockstar, it's definitely on the hardware differences, you can ask the digital foundry guys if you have any further doubts, they'll probably say the same thing.

Game looking the same (sometimes worse) then base version and many other games having much better IQ and generally more reasonable difference between the two mid gen versions suggests that this is definitely Rockstar's fault. Pro is considerably under-delivering here and it's surprising.

I expect them to release a patch with better CB implementation in few weeks.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
All the pre-release footage has looked jaw dropping on the Pro, so I'm more than fine with how it looks. Nice for X1X owners to have sharper IQ, but overall it's a beautiful looking game no matter the platform you play on.

People that don't have an X1X shouldn't feel bad, and don't let others around here make you feel bad.

ken's big toe

Oct 29, 2017
Reminds me of rdr on ps3 vs 360, i enjoyed it on ps3, and i will enjoy rdr2 on my pro. Going to get an x tho when i can afford it.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pro has an issue with bandwidth, if it had more it could put the gpu to use, but right now it's a bit bottlenecked by it.

However, this game does hit what Pro was designed for (half of the 4K res, reconstructed to 4K), but for some reason the reconstruction tech they used didn't worked well at all, perhaps it's due the art style, the amount of transparency on screen... Shadow of Tomb raider's CB looks way closer than this for instance, and in theory it's the same setup.
Considering this is a tech analysis thread, it's ok to try and dig down on this.

In laymans terms, bandwidth, from where to where, and why?

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all in here talking about the PC version that doesn't exist or isn't confirmed at all at this point...

Weird how blurry the Pro version looks with its CB upscaling. I'll be interested to hear overall impressions from Pro playing ERA.

Oct 26, 2017
How is the anti aliasing solution in this game? After Shadow of the Tomb Raider I am used to clean as hell graphics and I hope that's the case here too. :)

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game looking the same (sometimes worse) then base version and many other games having much better IQ and generally more reasonable difference between the two mid gen versions suggests that this is definitely Rockstar's fault. Pro is considerably under-delivering here and it's surprising.

I expect them to release a patch with better CB implementation in few weeks.
Oh do you now?? Why exactly do you expect that?

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
I assume PCs would hypothetically blaze through this game since it seems much more dependent on the CPU than GPU, given that it runs at native 4K on the X and that the minimal CPU advantage of the base Xbone is enough to give it a framerate advantage over PS4mateur.
For sure
LOL at some PS4 folks "feeling sorry" for the base Xbox One owners, just take the L on this one because it is very clearly a big difference. This is the GOTY hands down, and maybe the game of this entire generation. And it deserves to be played on the most powerful console out there, so I am glad that I get to play it on my Xbox One X tonight on a 4K TV in its true glory!
Calm down there, and you do know there are a lot of owners of the Base consoles right the PS4 and Xbox One and S it's what the majority own. In gaming enthusiast places like this forum you'll see more people own the more expensive later released mid gen consoles as expected

There's most likely more Xbox One and S owners than there are who own Xbox One X and they got the worst version

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
The Pro screenshots look kinda bad when compared. The AA and checkerboard implementation hurt the IQ considerably.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The most powerful console is the best version, news at 9 oclock!
Lole what did you expect people, them doubters can eat that crow

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Holy shit at native 4K on X. Game's a visual masterpiece on both Platforms but still, another reason to hope for PS5 BC so it can run even better at some point

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched a little. Both Xbox S and Ps4 pro looks blurry. That CB render implementation is bad imo. Xbox X otherwise looks really sharp.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bad reconstruction really bugs the hell out of me. It was something that was very distracting in Dragon Quest XI as well. I hope they can do a patch or at the very least that it doesn't stand out as much when playing on a 1080p display (which I'll be on).

They literally say in the video that there are other games which do checkerboard rendering much better.

So it is the checkerboard? Would explain it. Had the same complaint with DQ. I really wish we had a resolution/performance toggle in every game. Not once have I chosen resolution.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
The trailer videos Digital Foundry analysed in the last few months were PS4 Pro footage, right? Since I don't own a 4K TV I think the PS4 Pro version is good enough for me.