• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Has it been shown to be downgraded in any other spot aside from one shop in Valentine? Why are some people acting like the entire game has gimped lighting now?

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Has it been shown to be downgraded in any other spot aside from one shop in Valentine? Why are some people acting like the entire game has gimped lighting now?

Because people love to overreact. If other places had their lighting downgraded i'm going to need some receipts. Saint Denis still looks amazing on X at night.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's just valentine. One spot.
We don't know that for sure.

Other glitches and bugs have started popping up since this patch, so it's not just the lighting in one town, per se.

In any case, it shouldn't have been done to begin with. The game was perfectly playable before and now my favorite town in the game looks worse at night.

It needs to be fixed back to the way it was.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Have to wonder what they're doing downgrading that spot when exactly zero people complained about it and there are 50 other things that need to be addressed and haven't been touched for over a month.

Last edited:

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
glad i finished the game pre-patch in all its graphical glory. Won't be returning to the game on consoles ever again and trading it in. Will double dip on PC when its eventually discounted for even better graphics, 60fps, mod support and whatever other improvements it will have.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
Have to wonder what they're doing downgrading that spot when exactly zero people complained it and there are 50 other things that need to be addressed and haven't been touched for over a month.
89658-champagner-kuehlen-darum-solltest-du-schampus-nicht-in-den-kuehlschrank-legen.gif

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
i just played this game for the first time on ps4 pro.
Playing RDO in valentine my fps was actually 15~.
Holy crap it was awful.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Been putting the game on hold for a while and played a little bit today, did they change something about the graphics? Seems somewhat different. Can't put my finger on it though.

Also I might be going crazy but the aiming definitely feels smoother now.

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
There is exactly a 0.0% chance that Rockstar changes it back. Just play the game.
Rockstar broke the parallax occlusion mapping in GTAV with a patch, and then actually fixed it later with another patch.
I am enjoying the game - but I would be enjoying it even more with the superior lighting that I've been accustomed to since launch - up until this recent patch, however.
What would happen if you put a Red Dead 2 disc into a different PS4 that wasn't connected to the internet. Would install with no patch right ?

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Anyone else been getting additional performance issues on X since the patch? Namely I get severe frame drops each time there's a Fire, Explosion or Water splash and sometimes it lasts until I fully leave the scene.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else been getting additional performance issues on X since the patch? Namely I get severe frame drops each time there's a Fire, Explosion or Water splash and sometimes it lasts until I fully leave the scene.

If it's lasting that long, I'd get caps to share for examples. That sounds dramatic enough to maybe even report more widely. Wait until it's been chugging for like 30 seconds, then just hit the home button and press X. It'll retro-actively grab just that whole segment (unless you've changed the defaults). That'll show on your xbox feed, and you can share it there, or grab the link from xboxdvr.com.

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
Yep, I have the same issues, especially with smoke. Though performance has been definitely hit and miss even pre-patch for me, definitely not as solid as the df analysis made it out to be. Some latter scenarios really tax the hardware.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
If it's lasting that long, I'd get caps to share for examples. That sounds dramatic enough to maybe even report more widely. Wait until it's been chugging for like 30 seconds, then just hit the home button and press X. It'll retro-actively grab just that whole segment (unless you've changed the defaults). That'll show on your xbox feed, and you can share it there, or grab the link from xboxdvr.com.

I didn't bother recording footage cause I assumed it was a widespread issue since it happened in scripted story segments where Wagons go on fire. But sure I'll grab a clip if I get it again

Yep, I have the same issues, especially with smoke. Though performance has been definitely hit and miss even pre-patch for me, definitely not as solid as the df analysis made it out to be. Some latter scenarios really tax the hardware.
Yeah the performance wasn't great pre-patch either, and I tried doing a system format and just installing RDR2 in-case it was on my end but nope. There's a lot of player actions, like zooming in and having particle physics, that can really tank the framerate. It just got significantly worse after the patch instead of better :/

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Soo, can someone turn on the Bat-light for Dark1x?(How do you do the thing where a username is clickable?). I really want someone to take a look at the lighting downgrades people have been talking about. Might not be enough to warrant a new DF video or anything, but just a quick word what the patch actually did. Googling around I can't find anywhere on the internet talking about it besides this thread, so i just want someone to investigate it a little bit. If it is indeed a downgrade any exposure it gets should be a good thing and would improve the chances of it getting fixed, since this is a much bigger deal than "soft resolution gate" at launch to me. (I stopped playing the game very early due to the camp bug and my controller breaking within the first days of launch, and it feels absolutely awful that I waited for a patch for a month that only made things worse.) Oh, and people were talking about interiors being bugged too in some way?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Even when DF say a game is solid or close to "locked" 30fps it's not always the case, especially for a game this big, it's more of a guideline or estimate. You can't expect them to test the entire game due to time and resources constraints. They usually test what visually looks like the most taxing areas but there's a lot of times where games just drop framea at random times you wouldn't expect. RDR2 definitely had some frame drops pre patch, especially indoors when it can get bad. The thing I'm surprised that they didn't point out (or missed when they did) is how poor the resolution of the volumetric god rays are even on 1X.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Even when DF say a game is solid or close to "locked" 30fps it's not always the case, especially for a game this big, it's more of a guideline or estimate. You can't expect them to test the entire game due to time and resources constraints. They usually test what visually looks like the most taxing areas but there's a lot of times where games just drop framea at random times you wouldn't expect. RDR2 definitely had some frame drops pre patch, especially indoors when it can get bad. The thing I'm surprised that they didn't point out (or missed when they did) is how poor the resolution of the volumetric god rays are even on 1X.
I did point it out in my video on RDR2 :D

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

On PS4 Pro I just recently hit a Lemoyne Raider camp and the whole thing caught fire from an oil lantern.

The frame rate went right in the shitter. :(

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a second copy of the game on X for a second playthrough and because I love the game. I will keep the ps4 disc in order to play with friends online.

The IQ on X is really something, I'm glad I double dipped. Another thing that I find very much improved is input lag. Aiming feels a lot more responsive than on the Pro.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Is RDO performance worse than single player on 1x? Or can I judge performance of the PS4 pro based on RDO performance ?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I bought a second copy of the game on X for a second playthrough and because I love the game. I will keep the ps4 disc in order to play with friends online.

The IQ on X is really something, I'm glad I double dipped. Another thing that I find very much improved is input lag. Aiming feels a lot more responsive than on the Pro.

I believe this is what they call placebo.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
I spent way more than a hundred hours on the ps4 version, it's not placebo. Maybe it's not input lag but controller difference who makes the game feel more responsive.

Edit: playing the two version side by side, X version definetely feels more responsive. I can do fine movements while aiming while on the ps4 there' s a delay before the réticule start moving. Don't know if it's input lag or the controller, but it's a very noticeable difference, and one I will keep in mind when choosing which version I will buy in the future.

I also need to check something about banding in the sky, it seems to be more pronounced in the X version, but I need to do a direct comparison to confirm this.

Last edited:

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
I took some video in order to test and compare input lag between the two version and it is in fact the same.
I can also confirm that the dead zone on the dualshock sticks is what makes the control and aiming awful on Ps4 while the Xbox version is absolutely fine.
I have both versions setup exactly the same in the control options menu.

It's weird because I never had trouble on a lot of games on the ps4, RDR2 is the first game to feel this awful.

Regarding the banding in the sky, I can also confirm that it is an issue on the X version while on the ps4 it's a lot more subtle.

Maybe I can fix the X version with the console video output setting.

Here's what the banding looks like on the X

No issue on Pro

Edit: I'm dumb, I have different brightness settings in the game menu. Decreasing the brightness hides the banding.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I took some video in order to test and compare input lag between the two version and it is in fact the same.
I can also confirm that the dead zone on the dualshock sticks is what makes the control and aiming awful on Ps4 while the Xbox version is absolutely fine.
I have both versions setup exactly the same in the control options menu.

It's weird because I never had trouble on a lot of games on the ps4, RDR2 is the first game to feel this awful.

Regarding the banding in the sky, I can also confirm that it is an issue on the X version while on the ps4 it's a lot more subtle.

Maybe I can fix the X version with the console video output setting.

Here's what the banding looks like on the X

No issue on Pro

The free aiming on Xbox 1X is already awful to me, are you telling me it's significantly worse on PS4?

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I'm gonna call bullshit on free aiming being worse on PS4 given that you can adjust your settings

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Still no ps4 pro resolution patch? Coupled with the boring gameplay and controls i just think the games not as great as its been reviewed. I still don't get why rockstar insist on the tank controls and pressing X to run.

Me_Marcadet

Oct 25, 2017
The free aiming on Xbox 1X is already awful to me, are you telling me it's significantly worse on PS4?

Yes indeed. I played the game non stop since release on the ps4, and even after all those hours the aiming was still frustrating and would not feel right, being forced to use dead eye. With the X version, I really enjoyed the first shooting gallery with the O'Driscolls, and you can't usethe Dead eye yet.

Yeah I'm gonna call bullshit on free aiming being worse on PS4 given that you can adjust your settings

Me_Marcadet You can adjust the deadzone in the games menu..

Like I said in my post, both settings are the same. Dead zone set to 0 and sensitivity/acceleration set to the max.
Even then, there's still a dead zone on the ps4 version.

Edit: After more tests, It's not a software issue, but 100% due to the pad. The DS4 sticks get stuck in neutral and need more force in order to get moving, while the X pad is smooth even with small circles. Never felt the issue on all my ps4 games before and I played a lot of shooters at very hard difficulty.
Now I want to buy a device in order to test the Xbox gamepad on the ps4 and see if I still got issues in RDR2.

Last edited:

gothighscore

Jan 1, 2018
1.04 is out, did it change anything regarding the lighting? I put my One X into offline mode for now, still on the original release patch,

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
didn't notice any change in the lighting. guess i'm not as eagle eyed as some of you. i'm definitely not "livid" even if there was some minor downgrade to help with performance. this game still looks amazing.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
didn't notice any change in the lighting. guess i'm not as eagle eyed as some of you. i'm definitely not "livid" even if there was some minor downgrade to help with performance. this game still looks amazing.

I'm pretty sure it's still only downgraded in one shop in Valentine so if you don't go there you won't see it.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Glow is not "lighting". The lighting is the same. Glow is a post processed screen space effect, and I've never seen it be performance intensive. If you actually look at the way the area is lit you'll see the lighting itself looks the exact same regardless of the glow around the lamp.

A lot of times these changes might as well be unintended side effects caused due to some bugs. They are far too insignificant to be specifically targeted.

hopefully I 'm using the latest patch

fVz101M.png

XB1X @ 1080p's
PfJ2FjQ.png

XIn2VJx.png

hN7oC5v.png

This in particular just looks like a ToD difference. The first pic seems early evening and other seem night time. Either that or they changed something to the ToD so as to make it darker earlier than it used to.

Last edited:

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Does the ps4 pro still output at 1080p if supersampling is off, bye anyone played most of the game like that is the frame rate better?

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Glow is not "lighting". The lighting is the same. Glow is a post processed screen space effect, and I've never seen it be performance intensive. If you actually look at the way the area is lit you'll see the lighting itself looks the exact same regardless of the glow around the lamp.

A lot of times these changes might as well be unintended side effects caused due to some bugs. They are far too insignificant to be specifically targeted.

This in particular just looks like a ToD difference. The first pic seems early evening and other seem night time. Either that or they changed something to the ToD so as to make it darker earlier than it used to.

Yeah it seems like people are referring to the bloom effect. Could be an artistic choice too but I'm not sure that makes sense.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1.04 is out, did it change anything regarding the lighting? I put my One X into offline mode for now, still on the original release patch,
So let me get this right. Your Xbox is offline because you don't want to install the patch which turned off a couple of lanterns to fix FPS issues in a single place in the entire game? Now that's dedication!

gothighscore

Jan 1, 2018
So let me get this right. Your Xbox is offline because you don't want to install the patch which turned off a couple of lanterns to fix FPS issues in a single place in the entire game? Now that's dedication!

Well, are we sure it's only in a single place? :)

I have zero problems with the release version and I just don't see a reason to upgrade the game, even if the patch just changes a couple of lanterns. Once I am done with the single player part, I will probably upgrade, I am just a bit cautious. I remember a GTAV PS4 patch turned off the tree and grass movements and it really downgraded my gaming experience. I am really picky about these things.

OP
OP
BladeX

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Does the ps4 pro still output at 1080p if supersampling is off, bye anyone played most of the game like that is the frame rate better?

Yes you can force ps4 pro to play the game in 1080p and then the framerate will be 30 fps locked 100% of the time.

Also to the people who asked, no, patch 1.04 did not fix the General Store lighting in Valentine. It still remains as it was in patch 1.03.

Rams

Dec 13, 2017
So I started RDR2 on the PS4 Pro, running on a 1080p TV with no supersampling, and the game was basically a locked 30 fps at all times.

I then bought a 4K TV and an XBX, and based on the DF article double dipped, basically to make sure I'd be getting the most out of both the brilliant game and my new TV.

I'm a little miffed at how often the XBX version of the game goes below 30 fps. Strawberry for example spends most of the time at well below 30. All it takes is a wagon, rain or whatever to push it over the "rendering budget". I guess the GPU overhead on the PS4Pro @ 1080P is the reason I had none of the drops there.

Gun battles while riding horses also tend to be stuttery. Certain locations in the open world - mostly heavily forested ones - are often below 30.

It wouldn't be so bad if the input lag did not go to absolute shit the moment the 30fps lock is lost. But it does. It has a very noticeable effect on the gameplay in addition to the visual aspect.

The game looks so much better @4K than it does @ 1080p that I'm not going back. But I am disappointed, both in Rockstar and - in some small part - DF. I understand that they can't test every location and scenario in a game like this. I also understand they said so.

But the impression they gave me both from the article and the video was that the XBX version was a very solid 30fps with minor dips here and there. Say, comparable to Spider-Man on the PS4Pro. Instead there is an entire town in the early game that is basically never even close to 30 fps, and running into situations where the framerate drops is a rather common occurance, not a rarity.

As for Rockstar, I'm disappointed that they haven't included a performance mode or resolution scaling, if they can't fix this by optimizations alone. Judging by the PS4Pro version performance at 1080p, we're talking about GPU bottleneck here. So give me a performance mode that lowers shadow quality or some other quality, or give me a resolution scaler for maintaining that 30 fps. Others are doing this, so I can't see why Rockstar couldn't. For me, it'd take the quality of the experience as a whole up several notches.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
A few people in the OT have mentioned that 1.05 has slightly improved image quality on the PS4 Pro, have any other players noticed a positive change to IQ?

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
A few people in the OT have mentioned that 1.05 has slightly improved image quality on the PS4 Pro, have any other players noticed a positive change to IQ?

Just checked it. Its definitely looks sharper. Last time when people said it was all bullshit but i clearly see a difference now on 4k tv